Cellar Pictures Vol 1

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Jparkanzky, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichaelAllenVT

MichaelAllenVT Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2013 Vermont

[​IMG]
    A few awesome west coast trades came in the few days and the cellar is finally picture worthy at least.. All the IPAs (with the exception of that dogfish 75 in the corner) are bottled in the last few weeks too and will be consumed over the week with family in town for xmas (along with the growlers.)

chuckv likes this.
  2. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Initiate (134) Jun 18, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Keeping all the HF and Heady on that sagging top shelf is making me nervous.

3. CommanderOfAwesome

CommanderOfAwesome Devotee (461) Aug 30, 2012 California

I have that same shelf in my "cellar". The bottom shelf is so sagged in the middle, that on the other shelfs I only put them on the perimeter in boxes. I've been meaning to buy wood to lay down, or just get a new shelving unit but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

HawkeyeNation likes this.
  4. Kbyfield

Kbyfield Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I felt a strong need to represent those of us who can't have beautiful shelves full of perfect bottles. For those of us storing in free boxes from the liquor store (and those who are also restoring a home from the 1890's), I give you a study of beer in cardboard. Yes, they're all full.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (393) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

That's what my cellar looks like - a whole bunch of boxes. I mostly have notepaper on the front of them with a list of what's inside, though a few of those have fallen off.
    Add in a few cases of homebrew, and empty bottles destined for either homebrew filling or display purposes when I have the chance and space (particularly rare or memorable beers) and take away the light - it's dark and the fixture in there blew out...

6. iatethecloudsfor

iatethecloudsfor Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2012 Vermont
    Beer Trader

I just started to display mine, it feels nice. though I feel like I like to go down in the basement and do nothing in particular. also that's a shitload of beer you got there. bottle count above 1000?

7. Kbyfield

Beer Trader

Honestly, I have no idea. Short of actually going down there to count, I would have to guess somewhere near that.

8. Fister

Fister Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 Louisiana
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

10 years I will look back on this and laugh

Alpar, mkurylko, HighWine and 3 others like this.
  9. dwduncan2

dwduncan2 Aspirant (262) Feb 8, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

It may be a small collection, but its a good one. I would love to drink any of these beers right now.

10. gkoz

gkoz Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Arizona
    Beer Trader

I struggle to keep things longer than one year. Nice job everyone

MightySteede likes this.
  11. youradhere

youradhere Devotee (486) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

This might just be an old stain, but in one of your pics it looks like one of your NG sixers is leaking...

12. Kbyfield

Beer Trader

On the white shelving? Yeah, that was a container of floor stain that leaked and I never bothered to repaint the shelves.

13. TWStandley

TWStandley Defender (617) Jan 15, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

14. CommanderOfAwesome

CommanderOfAwesome Devotee (461) Aug 30, 2012 California

I have something similar. The issue is after a while the shelves will sag, my bottom shelf resembles a shallow sink now. I pretty much only have beer on the perimeter of other shelves because of this. If you go this route, I'd buy some wood to lay down as well, but not sure how long it'd hold up that way. I'm replacing mine some time this yr.

15. limited87

limited87 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2014 California

This thread makes me feel so much less of an alcoholic.

army01, Shamb and GoPokes like this.
  16. Xtent

Xtent Aspirant (221) Jan 16, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Got this for Christmas

[​IMG]

17. Mbennett

Mbennett Aspirant (270) Jun 16, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

No. You win.

18. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Disciple (311) Oct 24, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

bayareahustla likes this.
  19. Gooners

Gooners Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2014 Belgium

My modest cellar. Like many, I keep drinking from my stash thus it never grows...

[​IMG]

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  20. HopFace

HopFace Aspirant (240) Feb 29, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I like your bed in the corner there. Might have to agree with your priorities.

21. Gooners

Gooners Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2014 Belgium

Haha no it's not a bed, I think it's a mirror wrapped up but you're giving me ideas!

22. HighWine

HighWine Initiate (146) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Silver or gold sharpie on the bottom of the bottle if the year's not apparent on the label or bottle printing. I use cellarhq to maintain an inventory so I know which vintages of everything I have.

23. SouthAtholSuds

SouthAtholSuds Initiate (172) Nov 3, 2008 Massachusetts

I know this isn't the most original post but its been a while since I've seen what everyone is hoarding/aging in their basement/closet/whatever. LET'S SEE EM!!! Ill start. [​IMG]

24. Loganyoung

Loganyoung Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Yeah, that's a awesome thread that's been for a while now. I'm sure you'll enjoy looking thorough it, I do.
    Great cellar collection by the way.

SouthAtholSuds likes this.
  25. JGam115

JGam115 Disciple (354) Apr 8, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

PS I just did a FW Anniversary vert this passed Saturday. 13 thru 17. All were exceptional, but the 16 was my fav. 14 held up exceptionally well and 13 was also amazing. Enjoy!

26. elchicodelgado

elchicodelgado Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Texas

It took me a while to find the cool forums too. Now if only more would post in the food forum I'd be really happy.

27. SouthAtholSuds

I really wish I picked up more than one of each. Now I just stare at those boxes like a psycho rubbing my hands together and saying "sooooooooooooooooon".

28. tree777

tree777 Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2012 Florida

What type of tempatures are we looking at here? Living in South Florida I cellar my beer in a shelf in my office at home. The room stays pitch black most of the day ac and temp stays between 69-72. So far the oldest bottle I've drank was an Old Ruffian from 2011 in late 2013 which was excellent. I know the traditional temp should be 50-55 but this has been doing fine so far. What are some of your experiences cellaring in warmer regions without using a fridge or cooler?

29. SouthAtholSuds

Because my cellar is fieldstone it stays generally below 55 degrees. Sometimes in the summer it raises about 10 degrees. It stays pitch black 99.9% of the day. I have no clue on the effects of light and temperature. But the beer tastes damn tasty either way. Being in Massachusetts I could go down there right now and everything is cold enough to drink. Not refrigeration temp but chilled.

30. jacobbocce72

jacobbocce72 Initiate (116) Dec 18, 2011 Texas

Finally got around to taking a picture of my "cellar"... It's a free fridge with a temp controller (no basements here in Texas). I haven't even utilized the freezer space up top.

[​IMG]

funhog, funkymonk242 and Pinche_Oso like this.
  31. Kirk

Kirk Initiate (0) May 16, 2005 United Kingdom (England)
    Beer Trader

Finally condensed my bottles into one place in my house need more storage though as most shelves are 4 deep :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

32. chuckv

chuckv Aspirant (265) Apr 19, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

[​IMG] My udated cellar its grown a lot since the last picture.....

BT_Bobandy, IPAIsaac and Pinche_Oso like this.
  33. ASak10

ASak10 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2014 Colorado

Is that WWBY? If so I'd recommend drinking it now...had a bottle thanks to a friend a week ago and it was delicious, but seemed to be losing some of the fruit flavor.

34. bigedct

bigedct Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2011 Connecticut

Just cleared out some space in the cellar and filled the fridge.
    [​IMG]

35. jiggidy

jiggidy Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2013 Michigan

Looks like your shelves are bowing in the middle :slight_smile:. I see you have some nice ones in there too.

bigedct likes this.
  36. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Devotee (464) Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Just a start:

[​IMG]

brikelly, bozodogbreath and IPAIsaac like this.
  37. bigedct

bigedct Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2011 Connecticut

I've taken on a new motto in 2014. Stop hoarding, start drinking. My friends have been very supportive of the idea!

38. dbrelsfo

dbrelsfo Aspirant (281) Apr 17, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

These are some impressive cellars! I have only gathered a few bottles, since I am new to the beer scene, so mine looks pitiful, but I can help if anyone wants to start clearing out their huge beer cellars and add to mine! lol all donations welcome.

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  39. zookerman182

zookerman182 Zealot (594) Oct 8, 2013 Alabama
    Beer Trader

It's hard not to be jealous of this.

Especially the crooked stave stuff...

40. Kirk

Kirk Initiate (0) May 16, 2005 United Kingdom (England)
    Beer Trader

A lot of hard work went into getting all these :slight_smile: not many people want to trade internationally

time4lunch and zookerman182 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.