Cellar Reviews (2019)

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by jmdrpi, Jan 1, 2019.

1. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,974) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Rang in the New Year with a couple of Bruery bottles from the cellar that I've been waiting to share with others - 2015 Mash and 2016 So Happens Its Tuesday.
    [​IMG]

My notes:

2015 Mash:
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
    pours dark amber colored, clear, with thick cream colored head. very nice aroma of vanilla, caramel, toffee, touch of raisin. taste is super smooth for this strength beer, with the complex malt and bourbon flavors melded together nicely. not very sweet. medium bodied.

2016 So Happens Its Tuesday
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
    pours jet black, with tan colored head. good head retention. aroma of bourbon, oak, chocolate, espresso. taste is similar flavors - not too roasty nor sweet. bold yet very drinkable and smooth for such a strong beer. the age has mellowed this out nicely. thicker, nice soft and slick mouthfeel.

2. applejax

applejax Initiate (42) Sep 22, 2013 New Jersey

Mad Elf vertical!

[​IMG]

Tasting notes:

2018: The Mad Elf we all know and love.
    2017: More mellow then the 2018, no spice, still pretty sweet, touch of honey.
    2016: A touch more mild than the 2017, especially on the finish. Still sweet.
    2015: Gradual progression is becoming obvious over the years. A little less sweet, a little more malty each time.
    2014: Not sweet, maltiness, pretty smooth, good! Only a trace of Elf, more traditional Belgian notes prominent.

I like the 2018 as a fresh Mad Elf, and the 2014 is showing the change into something different.

3. kemoarps

kemoarps Meyvn (1,431) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Starting 2019 off with a bottle of 2013 (I believe) Old Jubilation. I swear I've had Old Jubilation before, fresh, but I didn't write about it here nor anywhere else so I don't have a personal reference point for it.

Pour is a murky brown, but decent visibility through it. Minimal off tan head. Doesn't stick around. A lot of floaties. Decent lacing.

Nose is sweeter with some bright spices to it. Best part of the brew. Candied fruits and dark sweet bread and candied spices, but all more dull than that descriptor suggests.

Flavour is clearly past its prime. There's still some of those peaks of candied sweetness and spice, but it's a bit oxidized and just kind of falls flat otherwise. Everything is just too tamped down past having mellowed and blended together, and to the stage of just kind of being a jumble without much definition or really much interesting in general.
    Brightly effervescent still.

[​IMG]

Overall this is a pretty big disappointment. Not that I had particularly high hopes, but just that this was not particularly enjoyable (not gross, but not good). I've got one more of the '13 vintage, as well as a bottle each of the '10 and '11. They're probably going to end up as ingredients (chili? bread? brats? anyone got any good recipes that could make use of beer?).
    Oh well, they're not all gonna be winners!
    I'm debating popping into the 2010 just for science sake since hanging onto them isn't likely to help anything.

Alright, well further impressions from the 2010

[​IMG]

Nose actually has more flavour to it and the body less goobers. Still past its prime and pretty dull and muddled. Less sharp spikes of sweetness and spice, and more mulled, but still not as oxidized and dull of flavour. I still think I'll commit the 2011 and other 2013 to the pot, but this 2010 is a pleasant surprise following a disappointing one from the 2013.

[​IMG]

4. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,349) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

2017 Rye Whiskey Dosvidanya

Appearance: black body with 2 fingers tall medium brown head that falls to a thin cap.

Smell: Lots of chocolate. Figs. Spicy rye & whiskey. Deep mature dry oak notes.

Taste: Mix of cocoa and milk chocolate with lots of rye notes which are really well balanced in the stout. Barrel notes are well integrated. Very smooth whiskey flavor with dry, earthy, complex oak notes. Hint of vanilla sweetness and a hint of dark fruits. Hint of leather and tobacco which rounds things out nicely. slight amount of cardboard also showing up, so it is starting to oxidize a little bit.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied stout. low and adequate carbonation levels. Very smooth for 12.5%. Not a hint of the stout's abv.

Overall: This beer has come together nicely and melded well. The rye is so flavorful without outdoing everything else that is going on with this stout. The same can be said with whiskey notes. Without being an overly hefty stout, the flavor it packs makes it seem more hefty than it actually is. No booze burn, easy to drink. Its a cellar treat for sure.

The beer is starting to show a little oxidation in the form of the cardboard flavor profile, but its very faint at this point.

I usually like to grab two bottles of Rye Dosvidanya every year. One fresh and one to age a full year. The beer seems to hit the sweet spot between 10 to 12 months. This bottle is closer to 15 months old or a little older than that. I wanted to wait a little longer to see what this beer would do with the extra time. Next year I will be drinking the 2018 at 12 months and no later to stay away from the oxidizing flavor of cardboard.

5. darklager

darklager Initiate (176) Jan 27, 2003 Ohio

Finally was able to have 3 year old Bigfoot again. My goto beer store closed a few years ago and it took me a while to find a new one so I had a drought for a while.
    [​IMG]

6. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,656) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

[​IMG] [​IMG] it's been years since I tried to post a picture and I seem to have forgotten how. Oh well.

Orval close to 12 years old. Last of a case purchased 11 years ago. That's kind of how it had to be done in PA back then.

I never did have a very good vocabulary for beer like this, so I'm not doing this any sort of justice. This is mellow overall but immensely satisfying. Musty apricots, a touch of candy peach rings, and a fairly strong clove bite at the end. Lots more going on here but I am able to describe. No doubt about it, this beer has legs. It might be a bit past its peak, but not by an awful lot. The last one I had was over a year ago so my memories are a bit vague but I think it was pretty similar to when I'm tasting now.

drtth, landrewg, Bitterbill and 13 others like this.
  7. jheimbigner

jheimbigner Zealot (550) Apr 18, 2015 Washington
    Society Trader

Moving soon, so cleaning out the beer fridge some. More reviews to come the next few weeks.

Beer one - Exhibit A Sunday Paper, canned 1/27/17. Did not purposely age this and when I found it the other week was curious about how it developed. It has been in the fridge (except in my car as I drove across country a 1.5 years ago). I was expecting a muddled mess that would be a drain pour. Boy was I wrong! I got strong coffee on the nose and the taste was the same. Only thing that was not as strong as fresh was the mouth feel. The coffee in this held up better than a 2017 BCBCS I popped on NYE.

Beer two - Gulden Draak – Not 100% but assuming the bottle date (code on bottle 27FM) is June 27th, 2013 or 2014. This is according to a post by @threeviews in What beer are you drinking now? #1798. The beer pours a dark amber like color with a one finger cream head that dissipates into thin lacing with decent retention. No legs present on the glass. The yeast esters have aged nicely – leading to a dark (plum, raisins) candied fruit profile, with toffee, vanilla, and baked bread. The taste follows the smell. Candied fruit flavors, toffee, caramel, and bread like. I cannot tell this is a 10.5% beer. It dances on the tongue and a fairly light mouth feel. The effervescent mouth feel plays very nicely with the rich and complex aroma and taste. Have two more and looking forward to drinking them in the next couple years. I think I found a beer I need to start to cellar more.

8. riotontheroad

riotontheroad Devotee (427) Apr 7, 2010 California
    Trader

didnt take any pictures or notes, but last night i enjoyed the hell out of a 2014 Bells Third Coast Old Ale. such a great beer as it gets older! super smooth with all of that raisiny/figgy/caramel goodness, backed up with a tasty booze quality. got two more left in the cellar.

9. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,063) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

2011 Cuir from the Bruery. Pours dark brown with substantial head. Nose is heavy oxidation, dark fruits, and a bit of toffee. Not overly appealing. Taste is better than the nose. Nice notes of toffee, Belgian yeast, bread, nuts, dark fruit, brown sugar, vanilla, and oak. Mouthfeel is nice and creamy. Overall, this has held up well despite a not-so-nice nose.

[​IMG]

10. Beersnake1

Society Trader

2013 Double Bastard. Pours dark reddish brown with quickly dissipating head. Nose is toffee, hops, spice, grapes, pine, and maybe a bit of leather. Taste is insanely good. This is THE sweet spot with this one (at least IMO). Huge amounts of caramel, with a nice background hoppiness. Slightly bitter and slightly sweet. Getting some bread, leather, spice, resin, candy, and a bit of molasses. Mouthfeel is perfect - medium bodied. Alcohol is not detectable.

[​IMG]

nvbrew, Budlum, ManapuaMan and 14 others like this.
  11. jmdrpi

Society

Your post inspired be to check in on the remaining few bottles from my 2010 case:

pours dark hazy copper/amber, orange highlights when held up to a light. thick cream colored head, and surprisingly still has great head retention for such an old beer. sweet caramel, toffee, butterscotch malt notes in the aroma but still some of those piney dank hops. taste still leans towards bitter which is crazy. just a touch of oxidation creeping in. sticky mouthfeel.
    Starting to go a little downhill, but still very enjoyable.

[​IMG]

12. Beersnake1

Society Trader

Nice!

jmdrpi likes this.
  13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,306) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Better crack open my 13.

Beersnake1 likes this.
  14. neenerzig

neenerzig Poo-Bah (2,048) Feb 15, 2006 Ohio

bl00, landrewg, Beersnake1 and 4 others like this.
  15. liquorpig

liquorpig Defender (626) Sep 6, 2008 Massachusetts

2012 Heavy Seas Below Decks Bourbon Barrel Aged Barleywine - Dark ruby color, little to no head, little carbonation. Smooth tasting, nice bourbon flavor, with subtle sweetness. This held up really well.
    .[​IMG]

GonzoHomebrewer, DIM, Budlum and 7 others like this.
  16. Samlover55

Samlover55 Savant (903) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

I don't think I would have aged this intentionally, but I found on clearance on a couple of months ago.
    Heavy Seas 21st Anniversary
    A Barrel Aged Imperial ESB
    [​IMG]22oz 22oz bottle into Tulip
    2016 vintage (16251)
    Pours a murky brown with tan head
    Caramel, oak, booze, bourbon, sherry
    Taste is first dry and bitter and then opens up to a spicy rye boozy finish
    Feel is light-to-medium and dry, 10.5% well hidden
    Overall this is a real solid beer, that is obviously very unique in that It imperializes a session beer and then barrel ages it, but it was pulled off, great job Heavy Seas!

DIM, Budlum, landrewg and 8 others like this.
  17. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (127) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Here's a good one for you guys: last night I opened a Founder's All Day IPA from 2014. Stored at presumably room temp in the back room of a shop until a couple weeks ago when it snuck into my home as part of a giant discount clearance box.

You know that old beer trope about hoppy beers turning into barleywine once they malt out and the hops fade? Kind of like that but with melted plastic stirred into it. I've had plenty of old IPAs before, but nothing on this level of nastiness. 2 sips was stomach turning. Not sure where a plastic flavor would come from in an old IPA like that. Any ideas? It was exactly as horrendous as I was expecting it to be, so...cellar win?

18. jmdrpi

Society

Well, considering a Session IPA has very little malt flavor to start off, that beer would probably be pretty similar to drinking a 4 year old blond ale or pale lager. Not surprised.

19. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Champion (862) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio
    Society

2017 Southern Tier Barrel Works Series Sapsquatch

4.35/5 rDev +1.9%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 4/17 1 pint 6 ounce bottle into a DFH tulip. Dark ruby mahogany color with a small head which quickly fades to just an outer ring. Etched fish at the bottom of the glass throws up a small circle of persistent bubbles, otherwise not much carbonation. Smell of sweet boozy dark fruit and maple. Taste reflects the smell but unlike other maple ales or stouts, the maple really comes forward as well as the slightly bitter aftertaste you get with pure maple syrup. I've often complained about Southern Tier cranking the sweetness to diabetic coma levels but for me they get this right. I don't know if the aging had anything to do with it but there is almost no hop presence compared to other American Barleywines and that is 100% not a complaint from me; much more like a British Barleywine. The booze is there but not overpowering at 14.9%. Mouthfeel isn't as oily as a British Barleywine but still a nicely thick minimally carbonated (but not flat and syrupy) retention of flavor.

I was very intrigued by this when it came out and it was too pricey for me to buy more, but now I wish I was cellaring more. Life isn't fair.

Bitterbill, DIM, maximum12 and 3 others like this.
  20. Beersnake1

Society Trader

Framboise de Amorosa from 2013. The cork was mighty challenging to remove! Surprisingly little head (almost none). Nose is amazing. Cherries, raspberries, funk, earth, leather. Taste - HOLY CRAP this is sour. Way more than when fresh. Super mouth puckering. I love it. Tons of raspberry, cherry, lemon, barnyard funk, and a slight bitterness mixed in. I am still in shock by how sour this is. I give it two thumbs up!

[​IMG]

21. toolbrew

toolbrew Champion (872) Feb 26, 2008 Indiana
    Society Trader

2015 Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout

Poured into a snifter with minimal head, no lacing. Slightly boozy faint chocolate aroma. Thinner body than I recall; chocolatey and some acidic aftertaste, dry finish. Overall it held up better than expected.

22. toolbrew

Society Trader

2016 Temperance Might Meets Right - Double Rye - bottle numbered 2327

Poured from the bomber into a snifter - no lacing or head to speak of. Aroma of rye and dark malt/chocolate. Taste is out of this world! Chocolate, vanilla, faint coconut, rye finish, sweet but not cloying. Can still taste the barrel which is nice. Smooth finish. Lighter body than I would expect from 11.1%. Enjoyed very much - wish I had another.

23. toolbrew

Society Trader

2016 Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout

Poured into the same snifter mentioned above - no head or lacing. Barrel/bourbon aroma, chocolate and figs. Taste is a great blend of bourbon and chocolate/roasty malt. Better mouthfeel than the 2015. Overall really good! Have one bottle left.

Bitterbill, CaptainHate and maximum12 like this.
  24. bl00

bl00 Disciple (396) May 13, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Who is up for a group review of 2019 Bigfoot soon? We can do fresh as a baseline and build up from there.

25. CaptainHate

Society

I'm in Santa Cruz now, where it's abundantly available, but as of a couple days ago I couldn't find it at my usual haunts in NE Ohio. I didn't try that hard because I know it's coming, but I won't be back for two weeks when I'm sure it's going to be there.

But a couple points: I know based on comments previously that fresh will probably be waaaaay too hoppy for my tastes and even a year old, which I have, might be early. I can be flexible for the sake of the group tasting but just wanted to weigh in on that. Second, will we report these in these monthly threads or have one specifically for this?

bl00 likes this.
  26. toolbrew

Society Trader

Completely forgot about this. Will hunt for a sixer.

CaptainHate and bl00 like this.
  27. toolbrew

Society Trader

2017 Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout

Poured into a snifter with some head and residual lacing. Chocolate and bourbon/alcohol aroma. Chocolate taste and slight burn on the back end...slight bitter aftertaste. Thinner mouthfeel than 2016. Overall still very good but of the three in this thread, I prefer 2016.

JMN44, Bitterbill, bl00 and 1 other person like this.
  28. bl00

Trader

Fair point and good question. I have some older Bigfeet too (14 and 17 I believe). If anyone else has some available we could start there too.

At first I was hoping to get a head count to determine if its better to submit here if its a small group or start a new thread with a larger group. Though now that I think of it, having an ongoing dedicated thread makes the most sense. Who all is in?

DIM and ManBearPat like this.
  29. CaptainHate

Society

2015 8 Maids a Milking - The Bruery

4.02/5 rDev +5.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Picked up a 750 ml bottle at Lupulo's in Santa Cruz and split with my son in law. Poured dark brown with an average sized tan head into an oversized wine glass. Aroma was nicely sweet with milk chocolate having an undefined spice tinge. Flavor was chocolate cream with the alcohol well hidden. Mouthfeel retained the flavors nicely while still being light and refreshing. An exemplary milk stout that is right in the Bruery's wheelhouse and an excellent addition to their Christmas series.

Budlum, Bitterbill and bl00 like this.
  30. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,656) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Bigfoot is pretty much the only beer I cellar anymore. I have around 6 cases worth going back to 2011, I drank all the older ones.

I too don't care for it fresh, 5-8 years is my sweet spot. But I think it would be fun to have a thread dedicated to the evolution of the 2019 batch over the years. I'll take some for the team and drink them fresh! Perhaps we could also chime with our impressions of other vintages?

I will happily participate no matter what happens, love this beer!

bl00 likes this.
  31. toolbrew

Society Trader

New thread titled “Bigfoot Experiment” or something without “2019” in the title since mods will lock it at the end of the year. Explanation and maybe give people a week or so to find Bigfoot if they’re interested (i.e., myself). I didn’t want to steal your thunder since you proposed it in the December thread.

bl00 likes this.
  32. bl00

Trader

Great ideas! I'll start a thread shortly. Feel free to tag anyone that I missed or who you might think is interested.

DIM and toolbrew like this.
  33. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (445) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

I'm definitely down for a Bigfoot thread... Heading to visit my brother in a month and he's got a 2013-2019 lined up for us- can't wait - will report back!

CaptainHate and Bitterbill like this.
  34. stevepat

stevepat Zealot (554) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

I think this is a great idea. It would be nice to have a clean start to the thread for those of us who don't have our lives together (no bigfoot in our cellar:slight_frown:). I think it would also be interesting for folks just getting interested in aging beer to see reviews of fresh, followed by various vintages, with the original fresh version being revisited every 6 months or so. Just my two cents and I will seek out some bigfoot in the interest of becoming a responsible adult

35. toolbrew

Society Trader

2015 Greenbush Dystopia - Mfg 1.20.15

Poured into a snifter with 1/2 inch of head and some lacing. Licorice aromas, faint chocolate, leather maybe. Blend of licorice and mild chocolate with dry finish. Smooth coating mouthfeel. Overall very good. I disliked this beer fresh but it improved.

36. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (460) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

2015 Stickee Monkee

Been aging this at about ~47F for about three years now which is 2F higher than FW recommends. Pours with a small, but fairly decent amount of head for an old quad.

First sip is plums and grapes and delightful. Surprised as its still very cold. This is going to be a real treat! Candied sugar and some toffee, tobacco,and vanilla notes.

Haven't had a fresh one of these in a while to compare but this is excellent!

[​IMG]

37. Beersnake1

Society Trader

2013 Abyss. Cellared properly and cracked at just warmer than fridge temp (and allowed to warm). Nice amount of light brown head on the jet black beer. Nose is molasses, black licorice, chocolate, blackberries, cherries, vanilla, lactose, and charred wood. Taste is really nice. Tons of black licorice and bitter coffee grounds/burnt wood. The aftertaste is quite bitter. Definitely some dark chocolate, molasses, and dark fruit (red grapes, cherries). I like this a bit better than when it was a couple of years old, but I am not sure this is my favorite vintage. I find some pretty big differences among the years. Overall, a really enjoyable beer.

[​IMG]

38. jmdrpi

Society

2011 Troegs Flying Mouflan barleywine.

This is my penultimate (one of my favorite ten cent words) bottle from a case I bought fresh, like a week from bottling. Been in the cellar ever since for me to drink an occasional bottle as it ages. Super fresh it had an amazing hop profile on top of the sugary caramel malt flavors. Then it went through a weird phase until the malt flavors took over totally and now it drinks just like an English style barleywine.

pours very dark brown, when held up to a bright light some garnet hues come through. tan colored head that fades to a thin collar. rich malt aroma - burnt sugar, raisin, fig, plum, some tobacco. taste is similar, finishes drier, which a touch of oxidation. fuller bodied, lower carbonation, slick feel.

[​IMG]

39. Beersnake1

Society Trader

2014 Sucaba. Quickly dissipating head, and a nice dark pour. Beautiful candy, caramel, and bourbon on the nose. Taste is phenomenal. Barrel, toffee, vanilla, maple, and dark fruit. A bit of pine and floral notes as it warms. Overall, this is great at 5 years.

[​IMG]

40. liquorpig

liquorpig Defender (626) Sep 6, 2008 Massachusetts

2015 Stone Double Bastard
    Dark copper amber color. Poured with little to no head. Malt bomb, dried fig and fruit flavors. Faint hops in the background. Little carbonation. Held up pretty well.