Cellar Reviews (2019)

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by jmdrpi, Jan 1, 2019.

1. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Savant (940) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio
    Society

2017 DFH Siracusa Nera

Finishing off the last of the 10/11/17 four pack. Carbonation has not fallen off one iota. Unfortunately nothing has really changed positively while nothing has deteriorated either. Maybe my palate's too unrefined because I'm not detecting the variety of flavors that DFH describes in their blurb. It's certainly still good enough and didn't develop any off elements in the aging process so I'm not at all disappointed by the results other than it didn't improve. Isn't that part and parcel of aging experiments?

Bitterbill, bl00 and AirBob like this.
  2. AirBob

AirBob Defender (661) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts

Trillium - Lineage Rye (Nov 2017 packaging date)

3 fingers of light fizzy white head. Quickly disputes to 1/2 finger of the same. Body is transparent straw colored with golden hues. Minimal visible carbonation.

Balanced nose: vanilla, oak, ripe apple, strawberry, vinegar. Some floral characteristics underlying. Funk become more predominate as the glass warms.

Tart, but somewhat balanced. Started with wood and vanilla which quickly shifts to tart apple. Barrel characteristics underlying. Finish brings some vinegar, oak, a touch of sweet berry. A bit earthy as well - I suspect from the rye. Tart and sweet. Minimal funk.

Prickly carbonation. Finish is not dry - a bit stickier than expected. Slight chaulky texture mid-month.

Great looking wild ale. The nose is outstanding and the flavor profile is more balanced as I drink through the bottle. I've found Trilliums wild/sour program to be disappointing - often too tart with minimal complexity at a premium cost. That said, I really enjoy this beer with a year or two.

I won't be supporting Trillium any time soon due to the recent wage issues, but won't stop me from enjoying this bottle!

3. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Initiate (161) Jul 13, 2012 California
    Trader

[​IMG]

Smooooookey deliciousness.
    Sweetness coming from what I would think the cherry bark as it holds a hint of cough syrup stickiness and medicinal off flavor.

4. CaptainHate

Society

Bell's Third Coast Old Ale Vertical

9/13/2018

Poured into a DFH tulip. Nice sized head with decent retention over slightly dark brown body with good retention. Smell was nicely boozily sweet with a distinct hoppy piney bitterness, not as much as Bigfoot but still obviously present. Taste was nicely sweet but with a bitter aftertaste. The aftertaste faded as it warmed (stored at 50 degrees) but never completely disappeared, which was expected (thinking that an American Barleywine is going to be like a British one just ain't happening). It was very enjoyable as it warmed up.

10/11/2017

Carbonation was slightly reduced while still being far from flat. Smell and taste had a reduced hop presence while still obviously being there. This is already starting to age nicely. Not sure where the optimum spot is but I'm pretty sure it's not there yet. Looking forward to revisiting this in a year or so.

5. CaptainHate

Society

12/30/2016 Founders Curmudgeon

Poured into a DFH tulip. Carbonation is still present with no obvious diminution. Not sure if the color has darkened more from 11/13/18 but it is decidedly darker than the starting point. Molasses and oak seem to be more blended. Aging hasn't hurt this at all but I'm not sure that it's improved at the same level as, say, North Coast Old Stock Ale. Still I only have one left and I'll wait until at least the three year point if not longer.

BalancingBrooms, Bitterbill and bl00 like this.
  6. CaptainHate

Society

8/29/2018 Founders Curmudgeon's Better Half

First time trying again after 10/14/2018. I'm not sure if six months have balanced the sweetness which I originally found overpowering, but after a 12/30/2016 Curmudgeon, the sweetness tastes refreshing. Further aging might balance the sweetness more but the current level isn't problematic. Maybe it's all a matter of perspective but I've upgraded the rating from 3.91 to 4.16.

7. CaptainHate

Society

2017 Founders KBS

This is the second half of a vertical starting with a 2019 which was, quite frankly, a disappointment. It tasted like a slightly better Breakfast Stout with next to no barrel presence. This had slightly less carbonation but was far from flat. The coffee smell and taste was reduced but still present but, wow, the barrel presence was back and left no doubt that I'm drinking something barrel aged in bourbon barrels. This was the opposite of what I expected, which is why we do these tests.

jrnyc, TheGent, DIM and 3 others like this.
  8. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,257) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

2014 Parabola. Nice light brown head on the pour. Nose is amazing. Intense chocolate and bourbon aromas. Some black licorice, vanilla, and cherries. Taste is intense. Actually a bit bitter up front. Definitely some charred wood in there. The back end is a bit sweeter, with dark chocolate and lactose. Licorice, toffee, oak, and smoke. I definitely prefer fresh Parabola to where this is right now - just a bit too bitter for me. It's like I'm chewing on a piece of burnt wood, with some chocolate mixed in. The aftertaste is a touch sweet, but I am also picking up a hint of pipe tobacco as well. Mouthfeel is pretty thick and creamy.

[​IMG]

jrnyc, TheGent, Budlum and 9 others like this.
  9. BigIslandfarmer

BigIslandfarmer Aspirant (265) Sep 30, 2016 Minnesota

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2017 Central Waters Belgian Style Quad
    I wouldn't say it has improved but it hasn't gotten worse. It is just different. Aged as you would expect, less bourbon barrel & bitterness, more dark fruit, caramel sweetness, slight oxidation that complements rather than detracts. It was, & still is, an excellent sipper.

Cheers!

TheGent, Beersnake1, DIM and 4 others like this.
  10. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Meyvn (1,244) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois

I found that (I like) Curmudgeon, like KBS is best fresh. Founders knows how to barrel age beers, and nails the perfect bright balance fresh IMO. In my experiments that perfect balance is lost at a year. Keep us updated though how it holds up!

CaptainHate likes this.
  11. Beersnake1

Society Trader

2014 Uncle Jacob's. Cellared properly since new. A good amount of head on this one. Aroma is intense toffee, dark chocolate, blackberries, port, walnuts, raisins, and oak. Taste is amazing, as it is fresh. Getting some nice charred wood, dark chocolate, and nuttiness. Not as much dark fruit on the taste. Picking up a good amount of barrel, and of course the alcohol intensity. Some spice, along with some candy notes are present. There is a somewhat odd aftertaste that I don't remember from the fresh versions. It's kind of a bitter nutty flavor. Otherwise, this is stellar. I might go less than 5 years next time though.

[​IMG]

12. CaptainHate

Society

2008 J.W. Lees Harvest Ale

Had a friend over and decided to split one of these with him (am I a great guy or what?). Carbonation was non existent and smell was of rich boozy sweetness. The first sip started with a concentrated sugar blast with the tobacco and leather taking over quickly with no obvious booze taste. I'd had a 2007 previously and other than somewhat less sediment my palate isn't sensitive or refined enough to detect a difference. Just a wonderful experience.

13. CaptainHate

Society

Deschutes The Dissident 2016 Reserve

4.39/5 rDev +4.5%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

10/17/2016 bottle stored @ 50 degrees. Poured into a DFH tulip, the first pour had a clear reddish amber color but the second, after being put in a colder fridge was much cloudier with sediment. Both had reasonably sized heads which faded quickly. Smell was very cherry forward with a wild yeast funk. Taste was of cherries on top of a pleasantly sour base which lingered nicely. Maybe this is the perfect age for this because I can't imagine improving on this but this is why we keep pushing the limits.

14. Beersnake1

Society Trader

2013 Terrible from Unibroue. Best before January 18, 2018. Not too much head, unlike most Unibroue dark ales. Nose is dominated by Belgian yeast and dark fruits. Cherry, blackberry, and some apple. Some bread and a bit of spice. Taste is really smooth. Toffee, dark fruit, bark, apple, and a touch of candy. This has done well, but I think it was a bit better fresh.

[​IMG]

sulldaddy, ManBearPat, jmdrpi and 8 others like this.
  15. strohme2

strohme2 Meyvn (1,294) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Society Trader

Wasn’t planning to but on a whim opened this. 2017 Bells Black Note, bottled 10/5/2017 batch # 19530.
    [​IMG]

Pours a dark brown with about a finger’s worth of khaki foam head. Decadent nose of rich roast, dark chocolate, burnt coffee and hints of vanilla. Starts out much more bitter than expected. Licorice and earthiness blends into bakers chocolate, coffee grounds, burnt toast, heavy roast, bourbon and char. No booziness, no heat.
    Smooth body.
    I have a 2016 in the fridge, curious on what this one is like.

16. liquorpig

liquorpig Defender (685) Sep 6, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

[​IMG]
    2013 Stone Old Guardian Oak Smoked
    Pours with a little head that dissipates quickly. Reddish brown to garnet color. Aroma of candied sugar followed by a hint of smokiness. Little carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel. Dry fruit, figs, some bitterness with a very subtle smokiness. Finishes with a bitterness. I love smoke beers that are not overpowering with smoke. This fits the bill. The alcohol is well hidden too for an 11.4% abv.

#176 liquorpig, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Bitterbill, JMN44, TheGent and 5 others like this.
  17. CaptainHate

Society

2017 Scaldis Nöel

8/14/2017 bottle. I'm not sure how much this has improved in the last six months but it tastes very good tonight. Everything is balanced with rich malty Belgian strong ale tastes and smells. I'll have the last one of this four pack over the holiday season.

18. Beersnake1

Society Trader

2012 Dissident from Deschutes. Oh my - what a treat! A nice hiss upon cracking the cap. A gorgeous dark orange with a nice bit of light head. The nose is full of cherries, oak, and funk. Some raisins and sherry come through as well. A touch of nutmeg and cinnamon as well. The taste is insanely complex. So many things flash across my brain as I taste it! Leather, wood, sour cherries, citrus peel, grain, burnt toffee. A good mixture of sweet and bitter, with a side of funk. This is such an interesting beer - definitely something I could only have once in a while. Overall, very enjoyable.

[​IMG]

19. Beersnake1

Society Trader

2015 Sucaba. Nose is toffee, bourbon, raspberries, vanilla. Taste is amazing - better than the nose IMO. Big caramel notes, mixed with some bourbon, wood, vanilla, dark fruit, and raisins. Fantastic BA barleywine that has aged well. Wouldn't go much further than this though.

[​IMG]

20. liquorpig

liquorpig Defender (685) Sep 6, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

2012 Anchor Steam Old Foghorn
    Pours a nice burnt orange color with a soft pillowy head. Nicely carbonated. Aroma consists of dried fruit and candied sugar with some toffee. Smooth flavor consisting of toffee, caramel, dried fruit with some sweetness. Holding up pretty well. I'm glad I have a few more that I'll continue to age.

[​IMG]

#180 liquorpig, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
  21. rypkr

rypkr Champion (879) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

2016 Lagunitas High Westified has aged stellar.

I was a big fan of it fresh with the huge spicy rye barrel, chocolatelyness, and vanilla all while not being sweet nor bitter.

Two and half years later and many revisits since I can't really say the flavor has changed much, which is okay with me. To the best of my recollection, it still tastes like the first one I had.

What I can say has changed is the mouthfeel. It increasingly tastes more and more creamy and/or whipped.

Shame willetized couldnt follow in its tracks.

I'd highly recommend cracking one of these now if anyone snagged an extra couple back in 2016.

[​IMG]

22. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

A few months ago I happened across some 4 packs of 3 year old Goose Island Lolita. It was in a cool place and protected from light so I gambled and bit the bullet.

I wrote the first draft of my review for this site while drinking the first bottle and have since been fine tuning it while drinking two more bottles. This is my third draft of the review while I'm having the 3rd bottle. (The remaining bottle is going to be cellared for a year or so since the "best by' on this beer is 5 years.)

Bottled 4 Feb 2016.

The slightly hazy reddish tinged dark amber colored beer pours out into a Duvel glass with a thin loosely bubbled white head that soon recedes to a thin irregular island of foam and a thick ring around the glass before it disappears entirely leaving while leaving no lacing on the sides of the glass. At first, sipping creates a few scattered bits of lacing that quickly slide back down to the liquid but eventually there’s no foam at all.

The aromas include a hint of acidity/tartness, lots of raspberry and some red wine grapes against a background of some earthy, leathery funk and a bit of oak.

The flavors are much as expected from the nose and include raspberry, red grapes, with some light, almost vinegary tartness with the earthy, leathery funky character in the background. There’s also a bit of oak and what may be a very light bit of bitterness from the hops.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and mostly smooth with the light finely bubbled carbonation. The finish begins as the flavors begin to fade into a fairly long dry ending that remains tinged with fruit, light tartness and what seems to be a bit of bitterness remains as the other flavors all gradually disappear in the back of the palate.

The beer has a tasty balance with both some fruity light tartness and some light sweetness. The tartness is well controlled and does not overpower the other flavors so that the berry flavor, the red wine grapes and the sweetness come through as well as do some musty barnyard funk and some oak. An enjoyable drinkable beer worth trying and having more than if you find it and have to buy a 4 pack, especially if you are able to age some of the bottles. I'd say that so far aging has done it no harm for my tastes it may be even more enjoyable than if I'd found a fresh bottle.

Cheers, all!

23. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,449) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Founders Imperial Stout - bottled 12/12/16

pours jet black like used motor oil, with dark tan head. great head retention and lacing for an aged beer. aroma is smokey, like charred wood, and the darkest of bitter chocolate. taste leans heavy on those flavors too, a touch acrid. very dry, roasty. body is thick, slick, and long finish.

this is my last one from the cellar, waiting for December of this year for the return of this beer, as I like it much better fresh- bold, more complex, and less dry.

[​IMG]

24. toolbrew

toolbrew Champion (882) Feb 26, 2008 Indiana
    Society Trader

Jackie O’s - Dark Apparition 2016

Poured from a 12.7oz bottle into a Lagunitas jar glass. Residual rim of foam around glass. Dark malt and chocolate aromas - nothing crazy. Lots of plums in the taste - that’s surprising! Some oxidation but not enough to be off-putting. Overall very good and wouldn’t let this go much further.

maximum12 and CaptainHate like this.
  25. CaptainHate

Society

Jackie O's Vanilla & Coffee Bean Bourbon Barrel Dark Apparition 2018

Infected. Fuck me. This was supposed to be an excellent experience.

26. CaptainHate

Society

Jackie O's Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Apparition 2018

Likewise infected. It's a fairly long drive to Athens but I've done more impulsive things...

HopBroker, AirBob, toolbrew and 3 others like this.
  27. CaptainHate

Society

Epic Brewing Big Bad Baptist Imperial Stout 2017

4.39/5 rDev +0.7%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This was part of release #90, brewed on 5/29/2017 with an ABV of 10.8%. Kudos to Epic for making this info available at their website. 22 ounce bottle poured into a DFH tulip produced a generous and persistent light tan head topping a dark brown body. At my cellar fridge temperature of 50 the smell of the bourbon was well hidden with the malt char predominating but as it warmed the chocolate, bourbon and barrel rose up and provided an intricate balance of aromas. Likewise with the taste but even more so. The mouthfeel for this was full bodied and creamy.

I had heard many good things about this, which is reasonably affordable and available at the local grocery store. They've all been validated.

28. toolbrew

toolbrew Champion (882) Feb 26, 2008 Indiana
    Society Trader

Looks like a frustrating few hours. Glad this one worked out!

Bitterbill and CaptainHate like this.
  29. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,094) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Bell's 30th Anniversary Cherry Stout Reserve
    Just hit the 1 year mark on these, I have one left and if this one is still solid I will do my damnedest to keep that last one for another 6 months.

L: Pours s solid mahogany/burgundy, the deep red that is disguised as black shows through on the edges in the light. Very pretty.
    S: The smell is a boozy chocolate cherry up front. A molasses sweetness lurks in the back ground, along with some figgy and plum notes. Aroma is more pleasant than I remember but I have consistently identified those booze filled chocolate covered cherries.
    T: First sip impression is that I am amazed at how much tart cherry flavor comes through still. There is enough of it to almost give the impression of a sour stout. There are some light roast/char notes as well as some of the other dark pit fruits coming through lightly. Just a bit of chocolate and vanilla seem to dance around the edges. A smokiness that I tagged in both earlier bottles is gone now. Very pleasant taste.
    F: Smooth and satiny as ever. A nice break from some of the monster stouts that are more common these days. This is certainly no lightweight but you don't feel like you are drinking from an oil can.
    O: Overall this is still very nice and maybe getting better. Almost making me wish I'd grabbed two four packs. the edge has come off the cherry enough for it to meld better with the surrounding flavors. Simultaneously comfortable and unique.

I am definitely weighing letting the last one go another 6 months. It seems possible that it is peaking, maybe even just past it's peak for me, but there is always the chance that it has deeper surprises waiting if I can be patient. In any case this is a beer to remind you that those folks in Comstock know what they are doing in the brewing department

30. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

2018 Narwhal from Sierra Nevada
    Just about at the 9 month mark on this one. The first of a 6-pack I bought specifically to cellar, told myself I would take it to a year before I cracked one but I just couldn't wait.

L: Pours that beautiful deep dark black with a solid cafe colored head that persists admirably.
    S: Smell was evident from the moment I cracked the bottle, figgy, dark fruits, raisins and brandy. Some light char and a mild spiciness, like a holiday coffee cake waft around the back edge. Smell is already a bit cleaner than it was fresh, with some of the edge off
    T: Taste comes in much more bitter than the smell. Dark chocolate and a sharp wood char note up front. As it warms up the char recedes and the chocolate is nicely complimented by a mix of prunes and a lightly spiced bread.
    F: A little thin for the style and maybe a little thinner than it was when fresh. Still not bad but certainly the one area I could see improvement

Overall this remains a splendid beer. I'm interested to see how it progresses and hope that I can be patient enough to keep one of these for at least 2 years. Hopefully I will see it again in a few months and can gorge a bit on the fresh stuff.

31. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

2017 Backwoods Bastard
    Picked up this yesterday out of the cooler at a weird little gas station near my house. They also have 2017 CBS bombers and some other weird old founders stuff. A really over the top selection of 22s, especially for a kinda ghetto gas station, that ultimately results in lots of old bottles in their coolers. Excited to see how this one is doing though.

L: Nice maroon/burgundy color with a thick and lovely caramel colored head that is very active and dissipates pretty quickly leaving moderate lacing.
    S: Smell is rum raisin cake, along with dates and vanilla. Very sweet and fairly boozy.
    T: Taste is much less sweet, almost nutty, like almonds and pecans. The fruitiness and booziness that I remember from fresher tastings is heavily muted now, there is still some thin apple/pear notes and something like a faint cherry flavor but I'm not getting any of the raisin or plum notes that I usually associate with this beer. There is a bit of boozy bite and some woody, tannic bite but all in all the flavor seems pretty well subdued, I am even getting a bit of that 'cardboard' taste I've heard tell of but never personally experienced. It's not as bad as I envisioned it but it is a bit dissapointing.
    F: Mouthfeel is nice and smooth. Not as full bodied as I recall but it's been a while since I've had this one so it's possibly a trick of memory. Really pleasant aspect of this beer that adds to a deceptively drinkable experience for a 11+% beer.

All in and all this is a nice beer, but I think two years is passed it's prime. As far as I can tell this has been in the stores cooler this whole time, and in any case being inside a cement building in my town means the temp never gets above the mid 60s, so I think it might just be the lifespan of the beer for me. It's still very pleasant, and certainly satisfied the barleywine itch I was feeling when I picked it up. They were still charging $14 out the door for the bottle, I may see if I can catch the owner in there one day and ask if he would discount some of his old stock for me but at full retail I certainly won't be racing back there. If they've got it next year maybe I'll add an installment

32. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

2016? Founders Brewing - Lizard of Koz
    I broke down and picked up one of these from the cooler at an odd little gas station. As far as I can tell Founders only released this thing in 2016 (around november I think) so lacking any dating on the bottle I assume this is about 2.5 years old. I know that these bottles have been in this gas station cooler for over a year. We did see this on tap about 15-18 months ago at our best beer bar but I don't know if that coincided with a bottling run, if it was just another keg only run, or if (as they often do) this bar just put on a vintage keg. Anywho, here's the thoughts

L: Really wonderful appearance, thick black liquid with a towering creamed coffee colored head that persists tremendously and leaves impressive lacing. Serious legs in the wine world.
    S: Aroma is strong, popping out as soon as the cap is popped and permeating the room as it is poured into a bottle. Chocolate and blueberry dominate. The blueberry is surprising, I have never personally experienced this smell so strongly in a beer before.
    T: Blueberry dominates here again, almost like they just added blueberry juice to the finished beer. Vanilla plays a strong second fiddle. There are other vague but bright fruit flavors (blackberry, green apple, and persimmon especially) and a not entirely pleasant chalky taste lingers in the background.
    F: Mouthfeel is pretty excellent on this one. Not as thin as many barrel aged stouts in my experience, not as thick as the appearance might have suggested. The feel is the best attribute of this beer in my opinion. Many a big stout would do well to emulate this mouthfeel

All in all I'm not mad that I bought one bottle but I won't be going back for more. The blueberry is too strong in the flavor for me, blueberry juice is not what I am looking for when I crack a beer. If you really love blueberries or have always sought out a more blueberry heavy stout then this thing is still going strong and will definitely scratch that itch. For me, it's just a bit odd.

33. CaptainHate

Society

2008 Schneider & Sohn Aventinus Weizenbock

4.25/5 rDev -1.8%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bought at a bottle shop last fall after they told me they received some aged at the brewery.

500 ml bottle poured into a DFH tulip. Small quickly disappearing tan head over a dark brownish copper clear body. Smell is of dark fruit, caramel and sherry. Taste is very sherry forward with other sweet caramel/vanilla flavors hidden. Any wheat banana and clove tastes are long gone. Mouthfeel is still very refreshing.

By itself this is very fine but I have a feeling that this is well past the time for maximum complexity. Next time I'll try a younger one or do a vertical.

34. Beersnake1

Society Trader

2011 Old Stock Ale - Cellar Reserve (aged in brandy barrels). Nice pop when the cork came out. Pours a gorgeous dark brown with little head. Nose is brandy, port, raisins, oak, and maybe a touch of spice. The taste is great. Tons of flavor exploding on the first sip. Lots of brandy - the most I have tasted on a beer aged in brandy barrels. Lots of grapes, oak, candy, toffee, bread, and leather. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and the alcohol is well hidden. This beauty has aged gracefully over 8 years. I am savoring every sip!

[​IMG]

35. Beersnake1

Society Trader

I love aging OF! It could easily go 10 years!

36. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Firestone Walker Parabola - 2017 12 oz bottle.

L: Deep brown color, little carbonation and almost no head.
    S: surprisingly sweet and light, plum, brandy, hints of chocolate.
    T: chocolate and figs and brandy. Alcohol burn comes out a bit as it warms. brandy flavors switch to more whiskey like flavors as well. Also start to find more of a tart bitter note that reminds me of wine, the barrels are stacking up quick. there's also a much more robust sweetness as the beer warms, more chocolate and molasses
    F: a little thin but not unpleasant. Kind of impressive for such a big beer honestly
    Looking at my review I think, gross, but honestly it's a super pleasant beer. It's definitely big and boozy but at damn near 15% what can you really expect. If memory serves I think that I really do prefer this beer at closer to 1 year as opposed to this 2+ year (appears to have been bottled 1-16-17) but this is still a really nice sipper.

TheGent, DIM, toolbrew and 4 others like this.
  37. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,516) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Central waters brewer reserve bourbon barrel barleywine.

Sampling a cellar temp 12 oz bottle poured into my snifter. 2017 vintage sampled today 2-28-2019.
    the beer pours a clear mahogany color with minimal beige colored head foaming up. The beer appears to be still with no streams of carbonation rising to the surface. The foam is a large wispy island and the thinnest of edge layers soon after the pour.
    The aroma is toffee and brown sugar with dark fruit, raisins and plums. A large hit of fusol alcohol and some bourbon notes are also present and no hop character here. This brew doesnt hide its size on the nose.

First sip of what I expect to be a sipping beer. And Im right. The body is pretty thick and the carbonation is negligible with a sticky syrupy texture. The flavor is big and malty with toffee, brown sugar, some burnt caramel and plums. I also get a bit of sweet vanilla but this gives way to black peppery booze hits that linger after each swallow. There are no hop notes on the flavor profile.
    The booze warms my throat just a little after each swallow and also sits a little heavy in my belly. This is a great night cap to relax with on a cold winter night. Wish I was at a fireplace to really nail the experience.
    This is a great barrel aged barleywine if you are looking for a slightly boozy sipper. Im really glad to have tried it and am excited for some of the other Central Waters brews that are on the shelf in my cellar.

TheGent, Number1Framer, DIM and 4 others like this.
  38. Beersnake1

Society Trader

2016 Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien Grand Cru (Aged in Oak Barrels) by Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes out of Switzerland. Bottled in 2017. Poured at fridge temp, but allowed to warm (as directed on the label). This one pours a dark red/brown with almost no head. Nose is full of peach, oak, cherries, funk, and leather. The taste is insane. Sour upfront, with a deep leathery barnyard funk on the back end. Throughout is peach skin, apricot, strawberry, earth, oak, horse saddle, yeast, grass, and maybe a bit of spice. Mouthfeel is dry, and the alcohol is well hidden. This is a real treat - one of the most unique beers I have tasted in quite a while. Would love to grab another and age for a few more years.

[​IMG]

39. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

by far one of the best beers out there. So insanely complex and layered flavor. I was told that they have barrels they use in their blending that are decades old

40. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

2018 Bo & Luke from Against the Grain

My final bottle from my first little haul of my favorite new to me stout from last year. When this one comes around this time I will definitely try pick up enough to hold on to for longer than 6 months.

Pours a deep dark brown with a rich brown head and lots of active carbonation. smells of cherry and oak and vanilla fill the area around the glass. Flavor is chocolatey and lightly smokey up front, dark stone fruits and bitter barrel play around as well. This has mellowed just enough that I wish to recant my previous statement, next year I will save all of mine to this point, the boozy edge has come off this to the point that it now tastes like the perfect tribute to bourbon in beer form. All of the toffee/caramel, vanilla, apple/pear, smokey, grain glory of a sip of good bourbon with none of that famous burn.
    For those of you that really enjoy bourbon and bourbon character in stouts I would say this is a must try. It's brewed as a tribute to bourbon by a Louisville, KY brewery and smokehouse and they nail it. It's also 18 bucks for a 750 so a good deal to boot. It was delicious but pretty hot when I first had it about a month or 6 weeks after bottling (no bottling date but I got it in december and it had been available for a little over a month at that point) now, after just about 6 or 7 months, it has mellowed into quite probably my favorite new to me beer of the year.

TheGent, DIM, CaptainHate and 2 others like this.