Cellar Reviews (2019)

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by jmdrpi, Jan 1, 2019.

1. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (766) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Stone Totalitarian Stout. Looking at my original review I'm sorry but curious that i bought this. I must still be reminiscing on the old RIS from stone. I gave it a 3.8 fresh so lets see what 19 months have done to this beast. Bought from a store that does lots of intentional and well managed cellaring.
    On the pour it is still that big dark beast it has always been with a thick mocha colored head that slowly works down in big soapy bubbles leaving great lacing as it slowly recedes.
    The smell is somewhat thin and bitter, a bit like old coffee. Strong hints at dark fruits as well. There is a heavy booziness to the nose that i didn't get fresh. It's not bad honestly and looking back at my fresh review it's promising.
    The taste carries through an unfortunate ammount of the old bitter coffee flavor. There is a char to it (I see that i described it as a burnt marshmallow flavor my original review and now I can't get that out of my head) and a woodiness. It's dominated by this acrid bitterness that just doesn't work to carry a beer for me. It definitely improves as it warms, more of the raisin and plum notes come up a bit to balance that acridity.
    The mouthfeel is slightly thinner than I remember but still quite serviceable
    Overall I think that the time in waiting hasn't hurt this beer and has maybe helped it a bit. Unfortunately it remains a tremendously pedestrian stout. Nice enough, still not worth the price of admission when it still can't even hang with that trusty ol lagunitas bomber

bl00, strohme2, Beersnake1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,222) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

2010 Hel & Verdoemenis from De Molen. Looked like there were some chunks coming out early in the poor. Some crazy head as well. Nose is charred wood - super bitter. Some coffee grinds and a lot of tobacco. Taste is good, but definitely heavy on the charred wood flavors. Some black licorice, dark fruits, coffee grinds, tree sap, soy sauce, and dirt. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, but I can't say that this is better than fresh.

[​IMG]

bl00, Bitterbill, strohme2 and 3 others like this.
  3. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Savant (926) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio
    Society

2018 Oxbow Barrel Aged Belgian Pale Ale

4.41/5 rDev +2.8%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked up this 500 ml bottle in Big Fatty's in White River Junction, Vermont; difficult choice among many outstanding potentials. Bottled in January 2018 and the label said enjoy within 5 years. Obviously I didn't make it that far but it's an unseasonably warm last weekend of September, and first weekend in autumn, and the high alc heavy hitters will just have to wait.

As soon as I popped the cap lemony funk filled the immediate space. Poured into a DFH tulip a nice large bubbled head topped a golden straw colored body. As it warmed over the cellar fridge temperature white grapes and barrel smell came forward. The taste mirrored the smell with pear tastes emerging. Feel was like drinking a dry sparkling wine.

I'm not sure what additional aging would have done but if I ever find another of these I'll put it to the test.

bl00, DIM, Bitterbill and 1 other person like this.
  4. Beersnake1

Society Trader

Firestone XVII from 2013. Nose is dominated by toffee. Also picking up some bourbon, vanilla, and dark fruit. The taste departs from the nose quite a bit. Getting some toffee, but also lots of chocolate, maple, vanilla, wood, a touch of smokiness, cherries, and some tobacco. Overall, this has aged beautifully.

[​IMG]

jmdrpi, bl00, Bitterbill and 3 others like this.
  5. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (766) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

2016 Pugachev's Cobra from Hangar 24

Cellared by a local bottle shop that has a dedicated cellar and is very good about maintaining conditions.
    Great head, doesn't rise up too much but sticks around and leaves decent lacing.
    Boozy head with strong prune/raisin and lightly stale coffee notes.
    Taste is insanely chocolatey with a solid bourbon burn with a strong undertone of raisin and charred wood.
    Overall I'm definitely on the look out for this one fresh, this is a great beer and I wouldn't be surprised if it's better now than it was fresh but I'd love to know. I could easily see this hanging in there for another year or two but imbalances seem not too far out on the horizon.
    I also hear these guys are going through some shit so I guess snatch em up if you see them around

Bitterbill and bl00 like this.
  6. I_Have_The_Runs

I_Have_The_Runs Initiate (37) Nov 19, 2018 Illinois

2015 Bell's Expedition Stout:

Smell - Dark fruits and berries that includes a bit of plum. Less smoky of a fragrance from went I first had it 2015. Dark chocolate and a very heavy malty scent like burying your nose in a chocolate malt.

Taste - Wow! That is smooth like a Black Cow with made with chocolate ice cream. Very chocolate forward and coats your mouth like a melted chocolate candy. This is desert in a glass. I am imagining having a dark chocolate french silk cream pie with drink that would totally hits the spot!

Who cares about the other rating categories...this is one of the best stouts I have every had!

landrewg, jmdrpi, Budlum and 4 others like this.
  7. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Savant (926) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio
    Society

2016 Founders Backwoods Bastard

Kudos to @cavedave for his review last year pointing out how three years just might be the sweet spot for this and preventing me from drinking the last of my 10/05/2016s prematurely. This four pack was initially my entry point into the joys of barrel aging and it's only right to finish it the optimal way. The smells and tastes of the barrel, the licorice and molasses notes and other dark sugars have blended extremely well into an easy drinking sipper. And, as usual, when it warms from the cellar fridge temperature of 50 degrees to room temperature it only gets better. The carbonation and lacing haven't fallen off at all. I honestly can't think of how further aging can improve this because it's perfectly balanced now so what could be gained? Anyway I still have three bottles from 2017 and will see what I missed last year later this year or early next, but I doubt I'll touch the remaining two until this time next year.

#287 CaptainHate, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  8. Beersnake1

Society Trader

2013 St. Bernardus Abt 12. Tons of head on a relatively friendly pour. Nose isn't quite as strong as when fresh. Raisins, toffee, spice, bread, honey, and yeast. Taste is super smooth and amazing. Follows the nose very nicely. Rich toffee, a bit of chocolate, molasses, honey, spice, raisins, and a hint of burnt wood. Very happy with this after 6 years. I love aging these, but not for much longer than 6 years.

[​IMG]

Budlum, toolbrew, CaptainHate and 3 others like this.
  9. Beersnake1

Society Trader

2013 Doggie Claws. Absolutely no sound when the cap came off. Zero head. Nose is pine, toffee, spice, and grass. Taste is amazing. Silky smooth. Caramel, cherries, leather, molasses, pine, tree bark. This ages so nicely. I think it could use another five years and it would be spectacular. I will continue to age the other '13 that I have.

[​IMG]

10. toolbrew

toolbrew Champion (882) Feb 26, 2008 Indiana
    Society Trader

Upland Sour Reserve April 2017 Batch K-17

Poured into a tulip minimal head and clear dark golden straw color. Some funk on the nose. Very clean taste, mild acidity, tart finish (slight sweet tart taste). Mouthfeel is light and really coats the mouth. Overall very solid and would seek this out.

CaptainHate likes this.