Cellar Reviews (2020)

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by TheGent, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,466) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I normally start seeing it around the beginning of November. It was $4 or $5 for a 750ml a few years ago, but I think it might be up to $7 now. Still, excellent price for such a great beer.

2. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,139) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Tonight’s beer is a 2014 Westbrook Bourbon Can Can. When this beer was released, they had a bourbon BA and a red wine BA variant. Fresh, I really liked the bourbon one, but the red wine variant blew me away. However, after approx 6 years in the cellar I fairly recently cracked the red wine one and it was good, but a bit disappointing. Let’s see how the bourbon variant faired.

Pours dark brown with a fizzy tan head; cola like. Massive aroma, tons of vinous dark fruits. Huge dates, figs, and plum. Probably the most dark fruit-forward smelling beer I’ve come across over this 6 month of so of cellar diving. Other aromas are a sugary sweetness, subtle bakers chocolate, and some decently strong bourbon barrel notes. Wonderful nose. Taste is fantastically complex. Chocolate is suprisingly huge and big dark

fruits carry over from the aroma. There’s also a nice balancing bitterness on the back end, and big charred oak and bourbony vanilla barrel notes that linger for ages. Black licorice and subtle roast round things out. Phenomenal. Tons of carbonation in this, bordering on too much which is a surprise after 6 years in the bottle. ABV is noticeable but not in a bad way. Overall, this is a gem. Funny how fresh I thought the red wine variant was notably superior as the red wine barrel notes complemented the base beer so well whereas the bourbon barrel not so much. However, with cellaring the rankings have sorta flipped and I definitely enjoyed this bourbon barrel variant more with age on them both.

3.75/4.5/4.75/4.25/4.5

(Original/fresh rating: 4.25/4.25/4.25/4.75/4.5)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Beersnake1

Society Trader

A special cellar dive for me today. This is a 2016 750ml of Cuvee Delphine from De Struise in Belgium. I bought this bottle in Germany a couple of years ago. Zero carbonation. Motor oil if I ever saw some. Thick smell, if that's something. Tons of black licorice, charred oak, a touch of maple, cherries, blackberries, toffee, and vanilla. The taste is fantastic. Sweet toffee, dark chocolate, vanilla, brown sugar, charred wood, black licorice, leather, bourbon, burnt toffee, and maybe a touch of port. Just fantastic. So complex and vivid. Mouthfeel is very thick and viscous.

[​IMG]

4. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,546) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I love it. I described something as smelling high pitched the other day and my buddy gave me the kind if confused look I can usually only summon out of a toddler.

I have did definitely encountered thick smelling beers though (I mean, everyone knows what a thin smell is right?)

ChicagoJ, zac16125 and Beersnake1 like this.
  5. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    New to me brewery. Never had it fresh.

Ridgeway Brewing - Imperial Russian Stout 2018 batch.

Nice head that dissipates relatively slowly, prunes and figs and some bakers chocolate on the nose.
    Taste was a wonderful mix of dark chocolate, tobacco/tobacco ash, some leather and some figs. Pleasantly bitter and a wonderful reprieve from the chewyness that is a growing preference in big US stouts.

This is a new discovery at my local refrigerated tomb of ancient European beer. I'm already planning to see about a deal on the rest of the year old schonramer pile. Might have to see of I can get a case break on these too. I wouldn't be surprised if it only had another year or two in it but I could do at least 10 of these over the next year.

6. wally_world

wally_world Disciple (319) Nov 27, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

I just happened to be searching around these threads for a bit this morning and saw this post.

In 2015, I randomly found a 2014 on the shelf at a store in Chicago for $2.99 I believe. I remember thoroughly enjoying it (I had just started getting into stouts at that point). I especially liked your point about the lack of chewyness. Totally agree.

Cheers!

7. Beersnake1

Society Trader

My last bottle of 2018 CBS. Nose is incredibly nice. Milk chocolate, dark roasted coffee, vanilla, black currant, raisins, and toffee. Taste follows the nose, but obviously more pronounced. Quite sweet, lots of coffee, fudge, milk, dark fruit, wood, and a bitter aftertaste (coffee grounds). This isn't my favorite stout, but I also haven't found it to improve or even stay at the same level after a couple of years. I much prefer this fresh.

[​IMG]

8. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Defender (629) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

That picture gives me a very “In The Bedroom” vibe. (It’s a movie.)

Beersnake1 likes this.
  9. zac16125

Society Trader

Tonight’s been is a 2016 Funky Buddha Iron and Barleywine. I did not love this one fresh, as it was an artificial grape flavor bomb (I actually described it as “a mix between super cheap wine and grape Four Loco). Probably my least favorite FB beer that I’ve ever had. Maybe 4 plus years in the bottle has mellowed it out.

Pours murky, rust in color, off white head with good rentention. The grape aromas have mellowed substantially so that you can actually get other aromas. Significant caramel, lots of dark fruits -yes grape- but also plum and dates. Some boozy ethanol to balance. Quite nice. Wow taste is really good. This is a COMPLETELY different beer than when fresh. Still not very English Barleywine like, but very much nice aged Belgium Quad like. Prominent quad-like spice, tons of dark fruits which are really nice, bit of bitterness which is more cracked pepper spice than it is hoppy, some lighter fruit phenols. Man, I am shocked but I really dig this. I believe this was only bottled once, but theoretically, if a fresh bottle was available no way would you be able to tell in a blind tasting that this was the same beer, except with age on it. Also if it was a blind taste testing I dont think many would guess English Barleywine and am certain the consensus would be that it’s a Quad. Regardless, I am really impressed with how this beer developed and now I kinda wish I had another bottle to age!

4/4/4.25/4.25/4.25

Original/Fresh (4.25/3/3.25/3.5/3)

[​IMG]

10. zac16125

Society Trader

I’ve only had this beer once and it was on tap, really enjoyed it. And I love the base beer, which is Black Albert right?

11. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

That sounds like a bizarre and wonderful beer for the cellar

zac16125 likes this.
  12. Beersnake1

Society Trader

That’s correct. Black Albert is also amazing. I have a couple that are getting old - might open one of those soon!

13. zac16125

Society Trader

I absolutely love this beer. I agree it’s best fresh, but I’ve drank one around 1 year old (perhaps a bit more) and was actually surprised that it was holding up as strong as it was. I have one more 2018 will probably drink it soon as I agree with you in that I don’t anticipating it developing much, moreso just flavors potentially fading.

14. zac16125

Society Trader

Tonight’s beer is a 2015 Westbrook Brett and Mo Mices. This (I believe) one off is a Belgian Pale aged for a total of four years, mostly in red wine barrels. Four years is a long time. If my math is right, that would mean the base beer was brewed around 9 years ago, which would mean it was one of the very early beers brewed at Westbrook since I believed they opened in 2011. I was impressed with this beer fresh, didn’t love the base beer (Brett and No Mices), but thought the extended wine barrel aging did a lot for it. Although it was a bit funky for me fresh (I described it as a “Brett bomb”). Let’s see how time has treated it.

Pours an opaque rusty copper color, small off white head, not sure what the deal is with all the fizzy carbonation clinging to the side of the glass (seen in the photo). Aroma is very tart with tons of dark fruit notes. Oaky, a prominent sweet aroma, perhaps vanilla. Only subtle funk. Really great nose. Unfortunately taste doesn’t really follow. First off, it’s rather flat which is somewhat surprising based on the appearance, but less surprisingly based on the age. But even that aside the flavor profile just isn’t what I desire. Its fairly funky, with some pungent cheese-like characters, and there’s also a pretty prominent bitterness particularly on the finish. There are dark fruit/red wine characters but they aren’t particularly prominent and are for the most part dominated by the other two components i mentioned. Some oaky characters are present. But all and all, not a ton going on. It’s not bad by any means, but I expected more.

4/4.5/3.75/3.25/4

(Original/Fresh review: 4.25/4.75/4.25/4.25)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Beersnake1

Society Trader

2013 Bois. This is the beer that got me hooked on the Bruery back in 2013. The nose on this is almost the same as when fresh. Soo freaking good. It's bursting with toffee, figs, raisins, vanilla, malts, and bourbon. The taste is also very familiar. Sweet toffee, vanilla, cinnamon buns, some woody notes, nuts, raisins, a bit of sherry, and some chocolate. The bourbon is definitely present, especially at 15%. I just love this beer. As for the mouthfeel - it's definitely an ale (not a stout). Not creamy, but full bodied and powerful. Tons of aftertaste.

[​IMG]

16. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,760) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Going outside my norms of imperial stouts and barleywines for an older (2017) wild ale from Troegs.

[​IMG]
    Sampling a cellar temp 12.7 oz corked and caged bottle poured into a snifter. The beer was bottled in 2017.
    the beer pours a bronze color with a dense creamy eggshell white head of 1.5 cm foaming up and settling to a very sturdy and lingering surface layer. Several very fine streams of carbonation rise to the surface of my glass.
    Aroma is some light biscuity and bready malts with hints of green apple, some white wine and musty straw and blanket notes. Pretty complex nose and no real hop character.

First sip reveals an incredibly soft and smooth textured body, almost creamy mouthfeel. Light overall physical character. The carbonation is also very soft and tiny bubbles, almost like a cask pour. Physically I love this beer, it caught me off guard by just how smooth it is in my glass.

After each sip I have dense creamy lattice on my glass. This is a nice looking beer!

Flavor is what I anticipate after the nose advertises to me. I get some biscuit malt and then tart white wine notes, followed by a bit of straw and funkiness, and then some more acidity and tartness on the finish.
    I never detect any alcohol heat and hop character is either faded and absent or buried by funk.
    Either way Im not tasting much in the way of hop profile.
    this beer is interesting and funky and I love the way it feels on my palate. Glad to have chosen this beer tonight.

17. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,463) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Last one of these from 2018. Refrigerated for a couple hours before opening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look: Pours almost opaque. Very dark amber / brown. A great looking beige, densely packed head. Some visible carbonation and a lot of sediment. A lot of lacing.

Smell: A lot of dark dried fruit. Primarily dates. Raisins. Black tea, sweet tea, barely any maple. Soft vanilla bourbon notes. I get these tea notes from aged Backwoods Bastard too. I don’t know if it’s the barrels they use or the malt profile, but that note always comes out to me.

Taste: On the tip of the tongue some dark dried fruit again. A lot of bourbon influence including vanilla, oak. Caramelized sugar and some burnt sugar bitterness. Sweet fruit cake. The same tea notes.

Feel: Smooth bourbon warmth. Medium level of carbonation. Starts out sweet but finishes semi-dry.

Overall: I prefer this beer fresh. The maple has faded a lot. It’s not bad. But as a maple fiend it does not hit the spot like it did fresh. If you prefer less maple you might prefer this beer with age. Still has a lot of bourbon flavor and a deep malt profile.

#577 TheGent, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  18. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Crusader (745) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

2018 North Coast Old Rasputin

[​IMG]

01/25/2018 bottle. Still has plenty of carbonation producing a prodigious fluffy head. Smell is very malty with a hint of chocolate. Taste is creamy and rich with the before mentioned chocolate. Body is very rich and full. This has aged very nicely. Glad I still have one left.

19. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Just figured out their date coding. can't wait to finally.be able to assess where I actually prefer this one

zac16125 likes this.
  20. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Crusader (745) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

There were quite a few people complaining about the sweetness when it was fresh. Although I didn't completely agree with them I was looking forward to aging balancing it more.

TheGent likes this.
  21. TheGent

Society Trader

It’s more balanced now for someone who doesn’t want so much sweetness or maple. It all depends on how you look at it. Last bottle I opened I added maple syrup. :wink:

22. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (107) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I only had one fresh. It was way too sweet for me. I had one a couple months ago and thought it was much more balanced and enjoyable. I'll have another one in a year, which I think will be the sweet spot for me.

23. zac16125

Society Trader

Worked all weekend, which means vintage cellar beer tonight. 2016 Westbrook Bourbon Barrel Aged 5th Anniversary. IS with raspberries, cocoa nibs, and vanilla beans.

Pours opaque, jet black, very dark mocha head. Aroma is surprisingly still strong with the adjuncts: raspberry, chocolate, and most surprisingly lots of vanilla. The bourbon barrel notes have faded and are now quite subtle. Base beer characters include decently strong roast and subtle leather. Taste is big raspberry, paired with semisweet dark cocoa on the finish. Some raw oak, faint bitterness, nice roastiness. Like the nose the bourbon characters have faded pretty substantially. Overall, the beer is very very tasty, but i do wish there was more residual barrel notes.

4.25/4.5/4.25/4.25/4.25
    (Original/fresh review: 4.5/4.75/4.25/4.25/4.25)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. zac16125

Society Trader

Tonight’s beer is a 2015 Wicked Weed Tequila Dark Arts. I was really blown away by this beer, and it’s espresso counterpart, when fresh. I have generally really loved this series although the last one I had (Scotch BA variant) was a bit disappointing. The tequila variants have been my favorite though. I thought when fresh the Brett characters were very mild, which was a plus, so I am a bit concerned about how it has developed in 5 years. I’ve been saving this one for a special occasion, but I didn’t really have one and wanted to drink it tonight, so figured a Monday was special enough.

Pour is jet black, light tan head. Aroma is huge leather and tobacco. Some roastiness, subtle fusel alcohol, and very faint tequila notes. Not a ton going on in the nose. Taste remains super rich. Big chocolate, huge maple syrup like sweetness, coffee, candied sugar, fudge. There are some Brett notes, they seem a bit more prominent than fresh although that’s based off notes not memory; not sure how much it contributes to what I like about the flavor profile (probably not much) but it doesn’t detract. I get essentially no tequila notes. Don’t really care though, cause this is phenomenal. Mouthfeel is super smooth, ABV is remarkably restrained, dangerous drinkability for this 15% ABV’er. Overall, just a fantastic beer.

4.5/4/4.75/4.75/4.75
    (Original/fresh review:4.25/4.25/4.5/4.5/4.5)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]image sharing sites

25. zac16125

Society Trader

I love this beer fresh. I actually just put one into the fridge to drink soon. I hope the maple syrup notes didn’t fade too much. but judging from your review sounds like it did.

traction and TheGent like this.
  26. TheGent

Society Trader

I thought it faded quite a bit. Curious to see what you think.

27. kemoarps

kemoarps Poo-Bah (1,974) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

I've never had a fresh version of BCBCS, so I don't have the comparison. But I've had BCBS, and I figure coffee should be an easy enough flavour to pick out, yeah? 2017 bottle that I am pretty sure was sent my way by @FlintB during one of the absolute blasts known as the NBS BIF.

Nose right off is strong and rich. Chocolate and boozy raisins and some faintly bitter tobacco. Not much coffee, at least not on the nose, and at least not tat this age.

Flavour is, again, rich and bold. It's less 'hot' and boozy than the nose, but it definitely packs a punch. Sweet toffee and condensed milk and sure enough there's the coffee. Vanilla and bourbon spice as well.

It's very smoothe and, again, while definitely double digits ABV, it's approachable.
    I've got my feelings about GI and all that, but there's no denying that this is really well made and definitely tasty.

28. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (436) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I've got tons of that stuff in my cellar, I think ranging back to '09. It's a killer value, great beer, and it ages beautifully. I've never caught any metallic flavor in there, no matter how old. I opened a '13 not long ago, and while I don't review or take notes usually on my beers, It was as good as any I'd had.
    I usually pick up a half-dozen or more bottles every year.

ChicagoJ and Beersnake1 like this.
  29. TheGent

Society Trader

From Sunday. Bottled on October 8, 2018.

[​IMG]

Look: Gold, translucent and a little cloudy. A bone white head that almost entirely disappears but for a thick round around the edge of the glass. A lot of visible carbonation.

Smell: Fresh squeezed lemon and lime juice, juicy Granny Smith apple, some white vinegar,
    Green/white tart strawberry. Rotting lime. You know the aroma of the skin when they start to turn brown? There’s a sweeter and spicy cinnamon-like oak note too.

Taste: The taste is pretty good but leaves me wanting more complexity. The acidity is medium with notes of lemon juice and white vinegar. There’s a good amount of bitterness. Tart and bitter domaine the flavors. Some earthy herbal and nutty notes.

FeeL: Light bodied and effervescent. Dry.

Taste: As expected flavor profile. Pleasant enough but not one of the more memorable Gueuze experiences that I’ve had. Lacking depth and unique character, both reasons why I drink and love this style.

I was actually a bit concerned at first because I was getting a lot of apple cider vinegar notes off the moisture under the cap and surrounding the cork after I removed it from the bottle. But none of those aromas or flavors we’re there in the liquid.

[​IMG]

Budlum, CaptainHate, Davl22 and 5 others like this.
  30. not2quick

not2quick Zealot (543) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I recently opened a CW Ardea Insignis. It was excellent! Just a good ol fashioned BA stout. Great barrel presence huge chocolate notes and the mouthfeel was viscous, but not overly thick and chewy as most BA stouts are now. Reminded me of old school Bourbco but a little more character. First time trying it so not sure how it tasted when released.

TheGent, ChicagoJ, beersdmf17 and 3 others like this.
  31. Vitacca

Vitacca Zealot (509) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Nice! It was super hot fresh and took 2-3 years to mellow out. Glad you enjoyed it.

not2quick likes this.
  32. zac16125

Society Trader

:astonished:

TheGent likes this.
  33. zac16125

Society Trader

Last post on here was Oct 6th. 10 days without beer makes one weak! So back at it tonight, with this 2016 Westbrook Grand Mere; a cognac barrel aged old ale with oranges. I’m assume you can guess what it was brewed to resemble. When drinking fresh I thoroughly enjoyed but thought the orange characters were a bit too prominent. Four and a half years later I am guessing they have faded but let’s see.

Whoa. This ones a pure gusher. Undrinkable. Undoubtedly infected. Damn, what a disappointment. I can’t even count the number of Westbrook beers I’ve had, tons of them have been BA, and I’ve never once had an infected one from them. Well this ones going to be a drain pour. I have one more Grand Mere, Ill save that for another day, while anticipating the worst but hoping for the best.

(Original/fresh review: 4.25/4.5/4.25/4/4.25)

[​IMG]

34. zac16125

Society Trader

Having never been one to be weighed down by negativity I decided to dive deeper into the cellar. Fuck that Grand Mere, going for a real beer this time. 2013 Mother of All Storms. No introduction needed.

Pour yields a nice dark tan head, no signs of carbonation issues after 7 years. Aroma is burnt cinnamon toast, big candied sugar, tons of dark fruits. There are some lingering oaky bourbon notes still hanging around. Some bakers cocoa and a bit of fusel ethanol to round it out. Taste is dark fruits, more bitterness than I anticipated, some molasse type sweetness. Hints of oxidation appear to be creeping in which detracts a bit but it’s still very enjoyable. Not really any barrel characters left to speak of. All in all, enjoyed as always but I think it’s safe to say it’s past it’s prime. Actually, if being honest, I think I prefer fresh MoAS above it with any amount of age on it. That being said it’s always enjoyable and this was no exception.

4.5/4.5/4.25/4.25/4.25
    (Original/fresh review: 4/4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5; of note this review was before BA had 0.25 intervals and I admit it’s an underrating as this beer is world class)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]photo hosting

TheGent, Budlum, CaptainHate and 5 others like this.
  35. beersdmf17

beersdmf17 Disciple (383) Jun 26, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Glad you liked it, hope you weren’t disappointed

not2quick likes this.
  36. not2quick

not2quick Zealot (543) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

It was great!

37. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Devotee (475) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

This is such a nostalgic beer for me. Have liked Fruet a bit more. Glad to here it was tasting nice Ive found these to be getting a little overboard with the sugars now prob bottle to bottle variation.

Popped a 2015 Black Tuesday the other day drinking real nice right now. Heat is gone.

Beersnake1 likes this.
  38. zac16125

Society Trader

Nothing too crazy or old tonight, but a classic. 2018 BCBS.

Jet black, dense tan head. Aromas of huge roastiness, leather, cinnamon, tobacco, subtle chocolate, and charred oak. Taste has dark fruits up front, then huge char and roastiness on the back end. Some molasses like sweetness balances things out. Barrel notes are prominent and very nice. As dangerously drinkable as always.

I love Bourbon County Brand Stout at all ages. I am not sure what my personal sweet(est) spot is, but I do think it’s a bit older than this. I guess I will have to keep drinking vintages of these until I find that perfect age!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

39. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,760) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Ive looked at this can quite a few times and tonight is the night to empty this big brew! 17% Barrel Aged Barleywine from Hog River Brewing in Hartford CT. Picked up at the brewery and in my cellar since. Its a 16 oz can poured into my snifter. 17% ABV canned on date 9/5/2017.
    [​IMG]

the beer opens and this can is FULL, instantly some beer is at the opening and oozing onto top of can. No gushing just sheer volume.

The beer pours a slightly cloudy caramel to chestnut color and has garnet red highlights when I hold the glass to a light source. Very minimal beige head foams up and quickly is nothing more than a wispy edge layer. Seems to be fed by very fine streams of carbonation rising from the bottom of my glass. there are a few large white yeast chunks that escape the can into my glass. Ill let those settle back to the bottom.

The aroma is deep caramel and brown sugar with some figs and red grape mixing together. I get some light bourbon and vanilla notes mixed in as well. Not really any hop character and surprisingly not really and general booze spiciness or fusol notes.
    First sip reveals similar flavors as the nose advertises. Lots of caramel and brown sugar, bourbon and sweet vanilla. I get figs and a bit of molasses here and a large dose of black peppery fusol alcohol warmth on the finish. I dont find hops anywhere on this beer.

The texture is slightly sticky and has a medium body with very fine yet very tingly carbonation. Everything about this beer adds up to a sipper and I will be sipping this much more like a liquor than a beer. Will take at least an hour to finish my glass.

TheGent, Budlum, strohme2 and 6 others like this.
  40. Mdog

Mdog Poo-Bah (2,231) Jan 7, 2004 Minnesota
    Society

Some friends recently moved out of their house but had a pretty large stash of leftover beers. They invited me to take a bunch of them, so I did. Most were 1-3 years old in styles that should not be aged.
    Then I noticed this Founders Dirty Bastard:
    [​IMG]
    Apparently an eight year old Dirty Bastard, not your typical cellar beer, but also not a pale ale/lager like most of their old stuff.

[​IMG]

Appearance: Murky brown, fizzy head that disappears within 30 seconds.

Smell: Cardboard, then earthy chocolate.

Taste: Surprisingly not bad. Dark chocolate mostly, earthy finish. A little chalky and dry.

Most of the roasted sweetness I get when this is fresh is gone but the beer is more chocolate-y in this aged state. An interesting surprise from a totally unintended experiment.