Cellar Reviews (2020)

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by TheGent, Jan 1, 2020.

1. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,425) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I've often wondered how the barrel used effects cellar-worthiness. Unfortunately I don't see many of the same beer available in multiple different barrels around me. Maybe this year I'll see if I can track down a couple different barrel versions of parabola to set up a bit of an experiment.
    Does anyone else have any insight into how the previous barrel contents effect the lifespan of the beer? if at all

ChicagoJ likes this.
  2. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,885) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

2011 Troegs Flying Mouflan

Pours a deep mahogany reddih brown color, ery thin head that fades. Aroma is a ton of dark caraeml, mollasses and raisin. Similar flavor, moderately sweet, long finish. Medium to full bodied, lower carbonation.

This was my last bottle from a case I bought the week of bottling. This one went from an amazingly hoppy delight when fresh, to an awkward mix of flavors, to then a rich malty treat. Its a bit past that second prime now, but still sad to dr I nk the last bottle since Troegs discontinued the regular version.

[​IMG]

zac16125, bl00, CaptainHate and 8 others like this.
  3. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,408) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

3 Sheeps Uber Joe Bottled 4/5/19. Purchased from the brewery last August, placed in basement cellar until a few weeks ago, refrigerated since. 10.0% ABV

[​IMG]

Thought I had a formal rating for this pour before, but didn't. Don't have a reference point to compare this beer 15 months in, but want to report back the coffee held up excellent. This is one of my favorite coffee / maple beers ever.

Appearance: Pitch black pour, creamy tan head leaves faint small bubbles in its wake. 4.5

Aroma: Very strong roast coffee aroma, good morning!!! Rich roast malt and dark chocolate aroma blends very well, a most excellent aroma! 4.75

Taste:
    Mirrors aroma, strong roast coffee leads, very sweet backing maple syrup, chocolate and light vanilla back. Sweet but not overwhelming, abv well masked. An excellent imperial stout. 4.75

Mouthfeel:
    Light fizzy carbonation present throughout, medium creamy body, easy drinking stout. 4.0

Overall:
    Outstanding pour, will pick these up in the future. Another great 3 Sheeps pour! 4.5

Do coffee aged beers typically hold up well? No
    Did this coffee aged beer hold up well? Oh, hell yes.
    Would I buy and drink fresh and or cellar in the future? Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!!!!

Cheers!

4. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,425) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

2013 Black Butte XXV from Deschutes. I loved this one fresh, so I'm excited to see how 7 years has impacted this one. A good amount of head on the pour. Nose is dominated by molasses, raisins, dates, black licorice, and dark chocolate. Almost getting a touch of peach on the nose as well. The taste is a huge smack in the face. Enormous flavor on this, and quite complex. big notes of molasses, black currant, blackberries, tobacco, coffee, figs, baking chocolate, bread, and a touch of nuts. There is some sweetness in there, especially associated with the black currant, but there is a bitterness on the aftertaste. A mixture of citrus peel and dark chocolate. Overall, this is a wonderful beer that has evolved quite a bit with age. I wish I had more.

[​IMG]

5. brian4beer

brian4beer Initiate (166) Jan 27, 2013 Indiana
    Trader

[​IMG]

2012 Robert the Bruce aged in TR barrels w berries.

pours min carb w thin lace
    All berries/jam on the nose
    Taste is bitter/acidic with no hint of bourbon
    Thin watery mouthfeel
    Finish leaves a tart aftertaste

overall this is not good. I am not a wee heavy drinker anyway but this is a drain poor for me

6. Beersnake1

Society Trader

2017 Fundamental Observation. Kept at cellar temp since new. The nose is spectacular. Marshmallow, vanilla, bourbon, milk, chocolate-dipped strawberries, toffee, and some more milk chocolate. Wow. This is definitely a 5/5 on the nose. The taste nicely follows the nose, but with a slight bitterness on the back end. Lots of chocolate, lactose, vanilla, marshmallow, roasted malts, dark fruit, brown sugar, and a touch of spice (maybe nutmeg). The mouthfeel is insane. Super thick and creamy. Overall, this is amazing fresh and amazing after 3 years.

[​IMG]

7. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,885) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

2018 Trappistes Rochefort 8. Dated best by 2023

Pours a medium brown in color with thick head of fine bubbles. Great head retention as I drink. Aroma of bready malt, herbal Belgian yeast, apricot, and honey. Taste has similar flavora and is mildly sweet. Not as bold or dry as the 10 as the same age. Mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy even though it's fairly thin bodied.
    [​IMG]

8. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Crusader (728) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

2016 Avery Anniversary Ale Twenty Three

4.07/5 rDev +4.1%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

2016 bottle bought a week ago without having checked the date. When I got home I thought WTF let's see what happens.

Poured into a DFH tulip, body was a dark mahogany with a tan head that showed no sign of having aged badly. Smell was very sour at the cellar temperature, which worried me but as it warmed up dark fruit and funk began to make their presence felt. Taste reflected the smell but was also very refreshing. At first I thought it tasted a bit "old" as in past its prime, and maybe it is because I never had it fresh; but as it warmed up and the other flavors began blending in it tasted very zesty. By the time I got to the end I was sorry I didn't have more. So this was a successful inadvertent experiment in aging.

strohme2, bl00, Bitterbill and 6 others like this.
  9. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,400) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Hey, Cellar Dwellers!

Going on a bit over a month since I’ve posted here. I’ve enjoyed catching up on all the reviews over the past couple days!

A “young” cellar pull for tonight’s review...

Goose Island - Bourbon County Brand Mon Cheri Stout (2019 Release)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look: The beer pours very dark brown out of the bottle. Burnt sienna. In the glass it’s black and opaque. A pinky finger of light brown head disappears, but for a thin ring around the edge of the glass. No visible carbonation and no lacing as I drink the beer.

Smell: The nose on this beer is great. A lot of bourbon barrel vanilla. I get a ton of chocolate fudge. Big on granola. The sweet grainy notes, the sweet raisin and the chocolate. Definitely has a granola bar thing going on. Strong candied cherry. As the beer warms this aroma pops. If you’ve had Luxardo cherries, that’s what I’m talking about. It smells like 14.1% without being “hot” or off-putting.

Taste: The flavor is so smooth and well integrated. Driven by the oats, granola, and brown sugar, it doesn’t scream cherry to me. Certainly not tart cherry. Some candied cherry sweetness. A lot of milk chocolate. Some dark fruit. It’s got some of that cherry cordial thing going on. A little sweet and syrupy.

Feel: Nice feel. Not too thin, but not thick at all. Sweet up front and on the finish. Some pleasant warmth in the pipes. Sticky sweetness on my lips.

Overall: This beer is great. I loved it fresh, as reviewed here. And I still do. Nothing off about it. If anything I’m enjoying it more now than my prior rating suggests. Drink em of you liked em fresh. Or let it sit a bit longer if you’re not in a rush.

#329 TheGent, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    strohme2, zac16125, bl00 and 6 others like this.
  10. CaptainHate

2017 Founders KBS

Going through my cellar I found this uncataloged straggler which surely came from the person who took the picture of my avatar before relocating to San Diego. Like the previous discovery from this brewing period, this has not suffered from aging. I still have two 2019 KBSs which frankly I found the barrel component to be AWOL and thought it was indistinguishable from Breakfast Stout; not that it's a bad comparison but something has to justify the price point, right? Anyway this is a positive experience no matter how off the books it might be.

bl00, Bitterbill, TheGent and 3 others like this.
  11. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,127) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Yesterday’s beer was a 2015 Marshal Zhukov.....gravy for bratwurst.

Ok ok, I do not usually use elite vintage beers for cooking stock, but there’s a story here. When I moved a few years ago my father in law who was helping me move put some boxes in my garage freezer to consolidate while moving. Well, I was not aware of this and once the move was complete I plugged the garage freezer in. A couple of days later I opened the freezer to find it contained a case of vintage beer, mostly Marshal Zhukovs I had as part of a vertical. This made me somewhat sick to my stomach although fortunately I had two concurrent verticals going back to 2010, and the other vertical was completely unscathed, so all wasn’t good but at least all wasn’t lost cause that other vert was saved.

Anyways, the beers in the freezer box did, of course, not fare so well. They all froze to varying degrees, a couple even had their tops pop off and had to be pitched.

So, I just assumed all the beers in the case were trashed, but I kept them around just to see, figured I may be able to use them for some purpose like cooking. I haven’t touched them since but fast forward to last night, and I decided to do a stout gravy brat recipe; figured one of these previously frozen Zhukovs would do the trick. So I cracked the 2015 bottle, poured about 10-12oz into the slow cooker and then the last 10-12 into a glass, again assuming this would be ruined from the freeze.

Well, much to my surprise it was most certainly not. Pour yielded a big dense and dark head, showing no signs of damage from the freeze. Aroma was leather, tobacco and some subtle roast. Taste was amazing with big caramel, huge chocolate, roasted malt and some herbaceous raw oak notes. There were zero signs that this beer was damaged goods at all. Goddamn. Kinda makes me wish I didn’t pour half of it into a crockpot......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]upload an image

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (491) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Excuse me- can we get that stout gravy review, y’all?!????

bl00, Bitterbill, zac16125 and 3 others like this.
  13. brian4beer

brian4beer Initiate (166) Jan 27, 2013 Indiana
    Trader

[​IMG]

CD6
    Pours creamy yellow with nice carb and slight lace
    Nose is musty and stale
    Thin mouthfeel
    Nothing much going on taste wise. Maybe some faint grape must with green apples
    Finish is acidic.

Tastes like an old past its prime HF saison. A shell of its former self.

14. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Devotee (434) Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Wow man, i hope that gravy was worth it.

zac16125 and Bitterbill like this.
  15. JHDStein

JHDStein Initiate (72) Aug 16, 2013 Germany

Found an 8-year old St. Bernardus Prior 8 in my cellar. Totally forgot about it, tucked away in the back of my beer shelf. Never realized how old it actually was. Well, I should have left it in the back. 8 years is definitely too much for a Prior 8. Tasted quite off, bit of vinegar sharpness and alot of the malt simply wasn't there. Harsh and unenjoyable. Live and learn... Washed it down with a 2-year old Prior 8. Much better.

16. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,709) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

So what you are saying is you made a Zhukov Imperial Eis-Stout successfully??
    Congrats on that win!

17. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,111) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Karl Strauss 21st Anniversary Belgian Strong Ale Aged with Old Vine Zinfandel Grapes (2010)

3.99/5 rDev +5%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Pours an extremely murky mahogany brown in color with light to moderate amounts of fine active visible carbonation rising slowly along the edges of the glass and moderate ruby red + chestnut brown + honey + dark golden yellow colored highlights. The beer has a half finger tall soapy sudsy light beige head that quickly reduces to a small to medium sized patch of very thin film covering a little more than 20% of the surface of the beer and a very thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of bready + graham cracker + caramel + dark malts with moderate amounts of dark fruit (red grape + fig) + caramel sweetness. Moderate aromas of oak woodiness and Belgian yeast with a hint of spiciness. Moderate aromas of Zinfandel grapes and a hint of herbal hops.

T: Upfront there is a moderate to strong flavors of bready + graham cracker + caramel + dark malts with moderate amounts of dark fruit (red grape + fig) + caramel sweetness. That is followed by moderate flavors Zinfandel grapes, oak woodiness, and Belgian yeast with a hint of spiciness. Finally there are light flavors of herbal hops which impart a light amount of bitterness which fades away quickly leaving moderate lingering Belgian yeast + oak barrel flavors.

M: Medium to full bodied with light to moderate amounts of carbonation. Smooth with a hint of alcohol warming and a touch of dryness in the finish.

O: This beer has held up amazing well - lucky purchase from a local spot where the owner occasionally pulls things from his cellar and hides them like Easter eggs in the shop. Drinks pretty easily but this is a big beer and was a slow sipper for me. Enjoyable and the Zinfandel grapes are still present.

ChicagoJ, strohme2, TheGent and 4 others like this.
  18. zac16125

Society Trader

The sausages themselves absorbed much of the glorious liquid, and it imparted a great roasty slightly sweet character. Unfortunately the gravy itself was not a home run. It was overly salty with a bitter component. I based the recipe off a Guinness gravy, Obviously a Guinness is nothing close to the beer I used. But the recipe called for beef broth and even though it was low salt it was still way too much salt for me. Next time I do a take on Zhukov gravy, I would completely scrap the beef broth, and also add a touch more brown sugar to balance. All in all a fun experiment, and the BratZ were delicious, but it was more a basting liquid than a gravy in the end.

Also, I know you were probably joking about the gravy review, but I just can’t help myself. Ha ha

19. zac16125

Society Trader

Even when fresh, I always thought Eclipse had huge variation in profiles from variant to variant and also from year to year. So I am not surprised that with age, one variant is killer and the other is a disappointment.

20. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (491) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

No joke, behbeh.. I love meat and stouts so I need to get the whole review

21. Beersnake1

Society Trader

2014 Bigfoot. Poured from fridge temp but allowed to warm for a bit. Nose is at that perfect intersection of sweet and hoppy. It's bursting with toffee and dark fruit - figs and red grapes mostly. Then comes in the citrus peel, pine, and earthy notes. Some candy aroma is there as well. The taste is awesome. Upfront I still get a significant amount of hoppy resin notes. A good amount of citrus peel hangs out on the back end. In the middle is a wonderful taste of caramel and malts. A bit of dirt and tree sap as well. I just love these older Bigfoot bottles.

[​IMG]

22. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,425) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Barely cellared but I thought it would be nice to check in on the now year round BA narwhal from Sierra Nevada. The cans available to me are still the first canning that I think I saw, 12/20/19 so just about 6 months in.

The lovely dark liquid still hosts a decent mocha colored head that recedes at a leisurely pace, nose comes across to me as figs and pipe tobacco along with oatmeal and an earthy chocolate vibe.
    the mouthfeel is really nice, almost fudgy when paired with the softly chocolate malt (like the milkshake) flavors. More prune and currant than fig in the flavor and a very calm bitterness that reminds me of leather.

Great beer, absolutely no signs of deterioration at 6 months and possible signs of improvement. I'll probably grab a couple more of these to sock away so I can do some side by side comparisons of the BA and regular versions at various ages. Also would like to do a side by side when a fresh batch arrives with an elder can to see how things look but from memory this is slightly more coherent than when fresh. I enjoyed it immensely fresh and don't doubt that this is just a matter of "love the one your with" but there's a softness to this that I don't recall with the fresher cans

23. darktronica

darktronica Poo-Bah (2,466) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Happy Friday, all.

[​IMG]

Omega Point barleywine from 2014, and still just as gorgeous as the day it was born. Thoroughly English, in the family of barleywines that lean in on the oak, leather, sherry, and green tobacco notes. No excess oxidation, still plenty of rich, fruity sweetness on the midpalate, mostly fig and prune with a tiny bit of tartness that counterpoints everything else that's going on. I really wish this wasn't my last bottle, but I'm so glad to be drinking this one.

24. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,709) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Another night of working on emptying my beer cellar! with 2016 The Bruery White Oak Wheatwine blended ale.
    [​IMG]

Sampling a cellared 2016 vintage of this beer, 750 ml bottle. Bottle has been in my cellar since purchase and I have been waiting for a good time to split the bottle because Its a 12.5% brew that would probably be better shared, well, not splitting now, but what the hell, its Friday! I slightly chilled the bottle in the fridge for about 30 minutes before popping the cap and pouring into my snifter.

I get about 3/4 of the bottle into my snifter, good amount of foam keeps me from getting it all in my glass on first pour. I love this large snifter of mine!
    The beer pours a a clear copper color with some light mahogany highlights. Several very active streams of fine carbonation rise to the surface. A slightly frothy light khaki colored head of 3 cm foams up. These bubbles fade gradually and stick around as a dense creamy surface layer, almost like a cask pour. Very tight lacing and small windowpane lattice appear during each sip.

The aroma on this one is pretty bold. Soon after the pour I am getting rich bourbon notes and caramel. The nose opens to a mix of white grapes and vanilla as the glass sits on my table. No hint of hops and only the bourbon notes betray the higher ABV on this beer, as it doesnt smell hot or have fusol notes.

the first sip reveals a medium body with a smooth creamy texture and very fine, gentle rolling carbonation. Very nice mouthfeel on this brew. So far dangerously drinkable beer!

Flavor is also very nice. I get rich caramel and toffee notes mixing with some light fruits. Pears and white grape and then the finish moves to vanilla and bourbon notes. I dont find any hops in this beer, and I suspect they were mostly absent even in 2016 when the beer was fresh. I do get some brown sugar or sweet cherry note on many of the sips just before I swallow. Interesting flavor that I think only enhances the beer.
    Booze is well hidden with no heat and not really any black peppery notes or even general booziness.
    Im really excited about this beer and wish I was sharing it on one hand, but on the other hand....more for me! Now I need to have some dinner before I drink myself under the table! :slight_smile:

Look 5.0 Smell 4.25 Taste 4.5 Feel 5.0 & 4.52 as my overall rating

25. Beersnake1

Society Trader

2016 Space Trace by Bottle Logic. Purchased new and painstakingly held onto it! Nose is amazing - coffee, marshmallow, coconut, toffee, bourbon, maple, and some dark-chocolate covered cherries. Taste is out of this world. I wasn't sure what to expect after 4 years, but this has held up exceptionally well. I won't try to guess if this tastes exactly like it did fresh, but this might be better. Super thick and creamy mouthfeel. Getting vanilla, milk chocolate, and coconut immediately. The bourbon is very evident, along with nice maple and honey notes. Each subsequent sip brings out more decadent chocolate notes. A touch of raspberry now as well. The roasted malts sit on the back and mingle nicely with the sweetness. This is so freaking good, and I wish I could drink this every day!

[​IMG]

26. zac16125

Society Trader

First beer in probably two weeks for me (well first full beer, I had half the Zhukov from the brat gravy last week). I started doing a keto diet, that was stupid. Since I’m breaking that tonight, figured I’d go to a treat yo self beer.

COAST 2012 Barrel Aged Blackbeerd (Blanton barrels). This is one of my favorite beers from one of my favorite breweries. Back when I lived in SC, COAST was an at least once a week spot for me to frequent. BA Blackbeerd was always a treat, and this 2012 variant is my favorite vintage. Interestingly, it is also the beer that got me into drinking good bourbon. When this beer was fresh, the bourbon characters were so prominent yet so approachable, it prompted me to start diving into that world (and Blantons is perhaps my favorite bourbon to this day.)

So how is this beer drinking now, nearly 8 years later? Aroma is fantastic; oaky, roasty, smoked malt. Barrel characters have certainly faded, mostly just oaky vanilla. Significant baker’s cocoa rounds around the aroma. Taste is amazing, substantially sweeter than the aroma implied, an almost maple syrup like sweetness. Big roasted notes, and some subtle smoky char. Lingering oak and bitter dark chocolate hang around forever. Like the nose, the barrel characters have faded, but it remains an exception combination of sweet, roasty and oak.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]direct link image hosting

Cheers cellar dwellers!

27. CaptainHate

2019 Clown Shoes The Exercising of Baxter

4.15/5 rDev +1%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From yellow ink on the neck of the bottle: "PKG 151 05/27/19 11:40"
    From the neckerchief: "10.75% by Volume"

Found this at a bottle shop last week and snagged it. Swore off big imperial stouts until autumn but today was an uncommonly cool day so here we are. Nice tan head over an inky dark body. Smell is nicely berry sweet maybe due to the port barrels because I'm not detecting any rum with some vanilla and chocolate tinges as it warms up. Taste likewise improves as it comes closer to room temperature. Mouthfeel is a bit thin for this type of stout.

I'm not sure that further aging would improve this but that's why we experiment.

28. zac16125

Society Trader

If it’s going to be a diet cheat day it might as well be a diet cheat weekend, right? So tonight’s vintage beer is another very special one. Westbrook Fisticuffs, an “English Style Old ale aged in Bittermilk Barrel-Aged Old Fashion barrels”. Brewed and bottled once, in 2015. When this beer first came out I absolutely loved it. For me, it stole the show at the late great Brevival Festival that year, a fest loaded with specialties, rarities and one-offs. Was super pumped when I saw that they bottled it, and the bottled version did not let me down. Had two of these left in the cellar that I was saving for a rainy day. Today seems as good as any. Let’s see how 5 years did for this beer.

Pour yields a very dark brown, almost black, with 1 fingers width of dense creamy white head with good retention. Aroma is spicy rye, huge oaky vanilla, subtle dark fruits. Faint candied sugar and subtle fusel alcohol. Rye whiskey characters are very prominent. Taste starts with some subtle roast then a big oak character. It’s is quite sweet, maple syrup like sweetness, which balances roasty and bitter notes. Significant cherry. Oaky vanilla lingers forever in the aftertaste. It really does emulate an old fashioned cocktail quite well. Mouth is creamy, carbonation is good, no signs of oxidation nor any ill effects from the aging. Somewhat surprisingly, it doesn’t seem this beer changed all that much over time. Of course 5 years makes one prone to recall bias, but at least according to both my memory and review of my notes from drinking fresh. Not that that’s a bad thing, the beer was excellent fresh and remains excellent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. TheGent

Society Trader

The first time I had Zhukov it was a vintage version. I don’t recall the specifics but it was probably in 2015 or 2016 and about 2-4 years old. It was umami in a bottle and I loved it.

We started getting Cigar City here a few years back and I have a 2017 Zhukov I bought to age with the hopes I can replicate the same flavor profile.

The only remaining question is when to open.

ChicagoJ and zac16125 like this.
  30. zac16125

Society Trader

I’ll crack open one of my ‘16s soon (one that was not unintentionally eis-bock’d) and let you know how’s its drinking around 4 years. I imagine very well.

31. TheGent

Society Trader

:+1:

32. Beersnake1

Society Trader

2014 Ivan the Terrible from Big Sky. Pours with a LOT of head! I'm picking up quite a bit of metallic notes immediately on the nose. Some nice burnt wood and some black licorice as well. A touch of coffee grounds and maybe blackberries. I'm a little worried by the metallic notes though. Taste is...great! No signs of oxidation. Surprisingly, I'm getting a lot of milk chocolate, along with nice notes of cherries and blackberries. Some roasted malts, but for the most part this is creamy and sweet. I wasn't a huge fan of this fresh, so I'm pleasantly surprised! 6 years was great for this one.

[​IMG]

33. StealYourFaceStout

StealYourFaceStout Initiate (54) Sep 8, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

2017 Central Waters Scotch Ale. Not much hiss when opening and pretty much no head. Aroma comes off as sweet with dark fruits, oak, bourbon, smokey malt and a hint of caramel/vanilla. I'm also getting a hint of something that reminds me of apple juice. Taste is nice. Getting those dark fruits, toffee, brown sugar, vanilla, nice touch of oak and bourbon. No apple juice vibes on the taste so must just be in my head. Starts off sweet but balances out as you drink. Coats the mouth but as is true with many central waters BA beers not super thick and very smooth. A nice Scotch Ale and sadly my last one. Cheers all.
    [​IMG]

34. TheGent

Society Trader

Dogfish Head Fruit-full Fort

Bottled two years ago on 6/18/2018

Cheers!

[​IMG]

Look: Held to the light the top and bottom are translucent and murky light brown with some ruby notes. Opaque brown to dark brown in the middle. A couple fingers of khaki colored head that eventually settles to a ring of foam around the edge of the glass. No visible carbonation.

Nose: Great nose. An intense amount of dark, dried fruit, primarily raisin, driving a dense and bready sweetness. There is a brighter, fresher and more acidic note that resembles the berries included in this beer. Berry jam. Berry dark chocolate. The dried fruit and fresh fruit aroma really play nice together. A little booze, but relatively low for 18% ABV.

Taste: Excellent flavor. Up front some deep and complex malt flavors including sweet, dark bread, molasses, dark dried fruit. I love this beer cause you get both the sweet fruit and brighter more acidic berry flavor. Raisins soaked in everclear. It’s hot for sure. A bit aggressive on the palate with the alcohol flavor.

Feel: Pretty low carbonation. Full bodied and a touch syrupy, not in a bad way. A lot of alcohol heat.

Overall: I enjoy this beer. The fruit / berry flavors are really nice. But damn is this hot. Much hotter than I remember it fresh and as compared to Fort the last time I had it aged. The berry is strong and the booze is hot, so I’d say this can go for much, much longer. I wouldn’t enjoy it as much of the berry flavor fell off, but that’s not the case here. No off signs resulting from age.

35. Beersnake1

Society Trader

2013 Bois. This is one of my all-time favorite beers and a bought several back in 2013 since I loved them so much. The nose - oh the nose. It immediately bursts open with caramel notes. Strong bourbon, fig, dark fruit, and charred wood. Taste nicely follows the nose. Tons of toffee, lots of dark fruit, figs, port, raisins, and some candy sweetness. The bourbon comes through strong here. Some nice Belgian yeast comes through. Amazing as always.

[​IMG]

36. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,223) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Yeah, it's a good ager. Something I can't say aboot its barrel aged cousin. At least, not in my experience.

Beersnake1 likes this.
  37. Beersnake1

Society Trader

I've never tried the BA version with any age. Interesting though.

Bitterbill likes this.
  38. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,223) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Looking at some of the reviews and I have to question my memory. Maybe I held on to a BA one for too many years...

Beersnake1 likes this.
  39. Beersnake1

Society Trader

2013 Crime by Stone. This is Lucky Bastard brewed with hot ass peppers and aged in bourbon. I hated this when it was released - just undrinkable and too hot. However, I bought a few before I knew that, so here we are 7 years later. This is literally the first time trying this since 2014. Still a lot of carbonation. Nose is peppery, hot, spicy. A bit of bourbon, and some toffee. I feel like there is more depth on the nose compared to fresh. The taste is insane - so freaking spicy! It's like chomping on ghost pepper! Jesus. This heat hasn't dissipated at all over 7 years! For someone who loves to have their palate destroyed by hot peppers, this is the perfect drink. Just not for me. Won't be finishing this one.

[​IMG]

40. toolbrew

toolbrew Defender (632) Feb 26, 2008 Indiana
    Trader

I tried Punishment at a share when it came out and it was too intense. Sounds like this would be good to add to a pot of chili or in a marinade.