Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Cellar Temperature

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Billy1856, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Billy1856

I've just recently started up a cellar to age my beer. Being on a college budget, I don't have the funds to purchase the proper refrigerating device at the moment, and I live in Texas so I don't have a basement. I've been keeping my collection in a cabinet in my closet. The temp stays around a constant 70 degrees. Should this be sustainable for long term aging? Or do I need to invest in something to keep my beers at a cooler temp? (some beers say on the bottle to age at 55 or less). Thanks

2. paulys55

Beer Trader

Depends what you mean by "long term" but it is certainly not ideal. 50 to 60 would be better but with what you told us, you may just want to wait until you have the funds or a cooler basement.

3. Billy1856

Most of the brews that I have right now I intend to cellar for at least a year

4. paulys55

Beer Trader

A year isn't very long but that 70 degrees worries me.

5. Billy1856

What's your ideal temp? And what kind of set up do you use?

6. paulys55

Beer Trader

I keep most of my beer in my brother's basement (I, like the Alamo, don't have a basement). The temp stays between 50 and 60 degrees. I store all my beer in cardboard cases like the ones that 750ml bottles come in or the ones you could get from the liquor store that held liter bottles. Some people like to have fancy displays but I don't really care for that and the boxes keep my beer in the dark where it should be. Things I consider in order of importance:
    1. Minimal to no exposure to light...light is what causes skunking.
    2. Temperature (ideally between 50 and 55 degrees)
    3. Protection from breakage...can your beers be knocked over easily or damaged if there was something like a flood or water leak in your house?
    4. Humidity should be moderate...too much and you will get mold and rusty caps, too little and you get dry corks.
    5. I store most of my beer upright with corked gueuze and lambics being the exception.

This is a very simplified breakdown and hardcore hoarders will have much to add to this list. Just remember, only a very, very small percentage of beer will benefit from aging. Also, even though I may enjoy a 10 year old barleywine or gueuze, you may prefer them fresh or with less age. Good luck with everything and check out the Beer101 tab on this site for more details.

7. Billy1856

Thanks man, really appreciate it

8. beercanman

I have aged at 65-70 when I had them in a box in a corner. Now I have a proper wine cellar at 55 degrees. I did a side by side with a blackout stout that were aged in both spots and did a blind taste. The results were identical. No difference. Long term I don't know. A year with minimal temp fluctuations and no light you will be fine. What are you aging?

9. Billy1856

As of right now I have about 20 bottles including: BA stouts, BA porters, barleywines, DIPAs, and a couple non BA stouts

10. DanH83

Beer Trader

I have a similar issue. I live in a Manhattan Apt without central air. I keep some items in the fridge, stuff I'm really worried about, but space is limited. The rest stay in a large, dark pantry cabinet and it's usually about 68-72 degrees. The trouble will come this summer when the kitchen bakes in the sun for 4 hours a day. I'm worried about what's in there. I'm sure some of the stouts can hold up, but I'm more worried about things like Parabola, Norma, Matilda, ect. I'm going to have to look for a small, reaasonably price wine cooler to store that stuff.....otherwise I'll be boxing it up and putting it in my parents basement for 4 months.....but how will I look at it daily!!!??? :p

11. beercanman

Which DIPAs

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe