Cellar Worthy: STOUTs

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Rollzroyce21, May 15, 2012.

1. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Aspirant (283) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

Weyerbacher Sunday morning stout, and their Mole' stout are definitely cellar worthy. Really improves this product.

2. AllOfTheCats

AllOfTheCats Initiate (103) Mar 27, 2018 California
    Trader

I age every imperial stout that I buy and 90% of the beers that I purchase are imperial stouts. After extensive drinking research, here is what I have found that I like best:

Stone IRS @ 2yrs
    Founders IS @ 3yrs
    Bell's Expedition Stout @ 3yrs+
    Avery Uncle Jacob's Stout @ 1yr+
    Epic Big Bad Baptist @ 1yr+
    Goose Island BCBS @ 1yr+
    Oskar Blues Ten Fidy @ 2yrs+
    Sierra Nevada Narwhal @ 1yr+

These are just some of my staples and favorites. I believe the main factor in developing stouts is killing off the hops. Maybe that is my personal preference, but I do not like hops in my stouts, and they are way less bitter, more sweet and chocolate-y after some time. I basically cannot and will not drink any stout until 6+mo out. Based on pricing, I usually try and test @ 6mo, 1yr, 2yrs, and 3yrs out. I hope that this helps anyone looking to cellar these particular beers!

3. TheBrewsky

TheBrewsky Zealot (585) Apr 23, 2017 California
    Premium

Man I am bummed it won't be returning this year. I always wanted to try to cellar it and see how it lasts, but I couldn't keep from drinking them.

Claude-Irishman likes this.
  4. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (315) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I don't know if it improved, but I bought some central waters 2016 BBA stouts at the store the other day and the first one was delicious. They were in the cooler, not sure if they were stored there the whole two years or not

5. rypkr

rypkr Crusader (789) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Have to respectfully disagree here on the Sunday morning. Its one of the poorer beers I've personally aged. Tasted less like a stout and more like chocolate flavored vodka. The Sunday mole I have never stored away.

6. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Aspirant (283) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

Is it possible on the Sunday morning there may have been a slightly loose cap?

7. rypkr

rypkr Crusader (789) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Nope. I bought a case 2 years in a row (2016 and 2017) and still have quite a bit from both cases left. In my opinion the beer ages very poorly.

I like the beer fresher, but it has nothing going for it that logically should improve with age.

Many BAs tend to think just because a beer is 10 or 11 or 12% + it automatically gets better with time. My personal experience with cellared sms hasnt been positive, but maybe others have had better luck than me.

Lahey likes this.
  8. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (315) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Good to know. I saved a couple to age, but I'll probably drink them now. I try to go by drink the drink it fresh if you like it fresh motto. (Unless it's proven to age well and I want to try it)