Cellaring Beers with Lager Yeast

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by 57md, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,984) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

I just picked up a bunch of Smutty Baltic Porter for a really good price.

I'd like to drink some fresh and then cellar the rest, but I keep a relatively small cellar of beers and I've stuck exclusively to ales so far.

In general, do beers with lager yeast cellar well and, if so, should they be stored differently from ales?

Specifically, has anyone cellared Smutty Baltic Porter?

2. Traquairlover

Traquairlover Meyvn (1,024) Nov 10, 2007 Virginia

I have not cellared that particular beer, but it shouldn't make any difference to how you approach the bottle. Think of Samichlaus, Celebrator and other lagers which cellar well. There's no need to treat them differently than other cellared beers.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  3. The_Beer_Shark

The_Beer_Shark Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2014 Illinois

Had a Surly Smoke from 2013 recently. It was also a Baltic Porter and tasted fantastic!

4. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,984) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Thank you both for your response

Traquairlover likes this.
  5. HoppySeb

HoppySeb Crusader (747) Jan 21, 2014 Washington

Plenty of folks have aged some Jacks Abby stuff and the result has been positive.

RBCORCORAN likes this.
  6. SportsandJorts

SportsandJorts Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2012 Virginia

Lagers need to be cellared at lower temperatures than ales. If temperatures are at or above a yeasts fermentation temp, it can cause the yeast become more active and create off flavors. That is why ales cellar general below 55 (fermentation temperatures are usually around 60 and above.) Since lagers ferment around 48-55, give or take a few degrees, they should be cellared in the low 40's to 30's.

7. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,874) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yes, I have cellared Smuttynose Baltic Porter with good results.

Also a lager - I love aged Samichlaus.

8. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (385) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Any Dopplebock can be cellared for a few years easily, even the lower (7%ish) ABV ones. I set aside a few Bell's Consecrators every year to have later. Baltics typically are higher ABV anyway so they'll do fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.