Cellaring Dogfish Head Festina Peche

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by JackHorzempa, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,790) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Has anybody cellared Dogfish Head Festina Peche? If so, how long have you cellared this beer? How does cellaring affect this beer; for example does cellaring increase sourness? How long can this beer be cellared before the beer goes too stale?

Any inputs are appreciated.

Cheers!

2. Deadmau5656

Deadmau5656 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2011 Pennsylvania

I had a four pack from last year in April. The beer held up really well considering the low ABV. The sour didn't seem to really change much but the peach was pretty much gone. I liked it a lot but only because I was craving something sour and the weather was a perfect fit for it. It hits the spot on a hot summer day.

On a side note, I have heard it can become similar to vinegar. I don't know what conditions they were kept in though. I hope this helps OP.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  3. Deadmau5656

Deadmau5656 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2011 Pennsylvania

4. joey_c

joey_c Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I'm doing a 3 year vertical of DFH FP this evening at a bottle share. I'll try to remember to report back tomorrow.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  5. weatherdog

weatherdog Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2007 Illinois

Unless I'm mistaken, Festina Peche is not produced using lactobacillus bacteria but rather the addition of lactic acid to the beer to achieve the desired sourness. In this process the sour level is fixed and won't increase over time.

6. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2012 Tennessee

I'd heard the same thing, but their website says otherwise.

7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,790) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Joey, I would love to hear about your tasting.

Cheers!

Jack

8. joey_c

joey_c Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Didn't work out this week, probably will do it this coming Thursday.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  9. weatherdog

weatherdog Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2007 Illinois

Their website is purposely ambiguous and confusing about it, and for good reason if you look at it from their perspective. Who wants to be known for simply using lactic acid to sour their beers?

Notice they call Festina Peche a "neo-Berliner Weiss" but the next paragraph say Berliner Weisses are "traditionally fermented with lactic cultures to produce its acidic character". Confusing no?

10. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Savant (971) Sep 4, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Agreed with being confusing. The peaches could make it neo though.

11. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,224) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Yeah, DFH's website is very ambiguous to the point of sounding deceptive on the topic - the only* hint (other than anonymous, third party forums posts, etc) I ever found was a video Caligione put out several years back in which he noted they "...dialed back..." on the sourness for the new vintage because of consumer complaints the previous year. (Looks like it's still up on the beer's page on their website - starts around 0:40).

Well, *"Only" until I came across this pro brewer's blog post a few weeks back and found this quote -

...blog is Joseph Lemnah's who now owns Burlington (VT) Brewing Co., formerly at Dogfish Head in 2007-08 period.

GRG1313 and weatherdog like this.
  12. mikecharley

mikecharley Disciple (399) Nov 6, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

This beer sucks with cellaring. I had a 2008 bottle about a year ago, and it tasted like bad yogurt... Do Not Cellar!

Edit: The bad yogurt flavor was not a bad bottle, as confirmed with a second bottle, tasting exactly the same.

GRG1313 likes this.
  13. bramsdell

bramsdell Aspirant (278) May 27, 2011 North Carolina

What would cause it to improve? It isn't bottle-conditioned. The sourness is pretty minimal. The peach might fade, but that flavor is really part of it.

GRG1313 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.