Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Central Waters 15th Anniversary Party

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Tnudish, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnfromPurdue

JohnfromPurdue Apr 27, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Kudos to you man, that is the longest sentence I have ever seen.

BrownAleMale, pmoney and stayclean like this.
  2. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 May 6, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I could of talked about the Tilted Kilt woman some more, but left it at that. She was very pleasant.

3. CityofBals

CityofBals Sep 12, 2012 Illinois

They posted the list of the specialty tappings next to the specialty tap nook. They even said something to the effect of "15 taps at 6pm, we will replace it with y2k 2011 BA BW after it kicks. (so it will go on at 6:05pm!)" I think the line forming for 1414 was also probably a hint THAT IT WOULD HAPPEN AGAIN FOR 15.

I don't know what that makes other people think, but to me, it seemed like they were hinting at it maybe RUNNING THE FU*K OUT REALLY FAST. Also, why do you expect a small brewery to have anything other than a limited amount of a two year old beer?

jegross2 likes this.
  4. cptnspeed1

cptnspeed1 May 20, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Yes. Dark Lord Day. And that's not even counting waiting in line for 6 hours to get into the pub to try the BA stuff that ends up cashing 3 hours before you get there and no one advertises it...

jegross2 likes this.
  5. revbdub5446

revbdub5446 Dec 18, 2009 Illinois

I just got here...is someone whining about not getting bottles?

stxSS07 likes this.
  6. JohnfromPurdue

Beer Trader

Didn't see that, All I saw was the chalk board that said "6pm: 15." Going into the party, I would assume they would be tapping more 15 than 1414. Why would I not? Obviously my assumptions were wrong. I also wasn't around the taps when they put 1414 up.

Not sure bold caps are necessary. My eyes aren't that bad.

CityofBals likes this.
  7. JohnfromPurdue

Beer Trader

If you're fighting for DL on DLD then you're doing something wrong. BA DL is another story but then again it isn't called BA DLD.

8. stayclean

stayclean Mar 17, 2012 Wisconsin

Excellent response from them, reassuring to see they can handle constructive criticism better than people that don't work there. :p Hope I can find some friends that want to make the drive next year, as a bar had the base beer for, uh, "16" on tap last year during Milwaukee Beer Week, and it was excellent.

9. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

what was it?

10. stayclean

It was an imperial stout, though the keg was primed with molasses. Have NO idea what they are doing it with, I guess another BBA beer? Either way, sign me up.

11. sacrelicio

What are everyone's highlights from the sample table?

I had:

Black Tuesday (finally!)
    Fat Head's Headhunter
    Cigar City Tocobaga
    Bruery Marron Acidifie
    Hill Farmstead Anna
    Russian River Blind Pig
    Lakefront Black Friday
    TREAT
    Sexual Chocolate

I brought:
    BB Black Cauldron
    Brau Brothers Rye Wyne
    L'Amitie (Green Flash/Feullien collabo)

12. jegross2

jegross2 Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Did she look like a tilted kilt girl? Lol

13. jegross2

jegross2 Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Is that what they had in the firkin tent at GTOM? They had some molasses primed stout there

14. stayclean

I didn't go last year, but I would lean towards yes if it was molasses primed. Maybe someone from CW can chime in on that one.

15. crossovert

crossovert Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

so far i have a list of 50 things i remember trying. Best I think was the Decadence I had, amazing. Also MoaS and Eclipse Grand Cru.

16. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 May 6, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

we were at the same table, I was the guy in the Damnation long sleeve, the last two I brought.

crossovert likes this.
  17. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

Boom, absolutely amazing out of the bottle. Freaking amazing. Cheers everyone, it was a good one.
    [​IMG]

18. egrace84

egrace84 Mar 25, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I just want to send out a quick thank you to Paul and crew at CW for EVERYTHING. I know my beer group and I all had a great time and enjoyed all of the tasty beer as well as the atmosphere at the event. I personally loved the Brewhouse Coffee Stout on tap! (still craving it actually) I'm actually drinking this years PM as I'm typing this and cant speak highly enough of this brew also. I am so thankful I was able to make the trip this year with the crew and be a part of this awesome event. Also want to thank Paul for the trade and it was a pleasure meeting him... definately a genuine, stand up guy. Cheers, and thanks again CW for all that you did for all of us!

MarcatGSB likes this.
  19. sacrelicio

Oh yeah, I had the MOAS. Also, Founders Bolt Cutter and Furniture City.

20. bpfrush

bpfrush Jan 24, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Yes, it was an imperial stout with brown sugar and molasses that they had in the real ale tent. I wasn't blown away, but it was very solid and I'm sure the barrel will do wonders.

jegross2 likes this.
  21. JohnfromPurdue

Beer Trader

Can't we all just agree that CW makes the best dang Bourbon Barrel aged beers for the price in the world!

22. boomer31

boomer31 Apr 14, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

A classy response from an awesome host.

WITTBEER likes this.
  23. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Jan 12, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Did you try it with the Jif peanut butter behind the bottle? I heard that's the best way to drink it....

MarcatGSB likes this.
  24. CityofBals

CityofBals Sep 12, 2012 Illinois

Oblig WALES AREN'T FOR DRINKING BRO!

jegross2 and WITTBEER like this.
  25. ImperialSnout

ImperialSnout Apr 17, 2012 Illinois

This event was amazing. I had a great time, the weather outside was Sunny with almost no wind. All the staff were friendly, and of course the beer was world class. The risotto balls were the best thing I ate all weekend.

Hopefully I can make it next year.

26. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Nov 30, 2008 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Didn't even see a sample table....d'oh! I've had Head Hunter and love it, getting a bottle or two of Blind Pig sometime this week

27. MaltyLareau

MaltyLareau Nov 14, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Lol, no such luck! That was me-the bottle was to share, and it was a Chocolate, Banana, and Peanut Butter Ale :)

28. Drew26

Drew26 Nov 2, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Amen!

29. mykey120

mykey120 Aug 13, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I think it was an awesome party despite missing out on 15 bottles. One of the bad things is everyone who was on the shuttles got shut out on bottles, so less people will probably be using the shuttle next year. Still a great party and Paul said they will be addressing the issues to make next year even better! Thanks for the party Paul and everyone at CW!

30. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

I didn't go, but I did make the comment about taking note of how darkness day works. I think the thing that makes darkness day work as well as it does is the wrist bands. I think they are better than tickets, and great for keeping people from being able to cheat their way to loads of extra bottles.

31. strykebr

strykebr Apr 7, 2011 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I work at an account that handles a lot of CW so we got the VIP e-mail. When we went to enter we didn't have to provide any ID or say who we are, indeed a nice relaxed atmosphere but very suprising.

I attended from noon until the 3:00, got my four bottles and left so I didn't see any of these problems. I was told by many people that this event has snowballed big time and will just keep getting better as CW is recognized as a great brewery.

32. WITTBEER

Beer Trader

Sounds like it might be a ticketed event next year, which would ease the mind of anyone thinking of taking the bus. These guys are good people. They'll work to get it right.

jegross2 and Dontcounttoday like this.
  33. grynder33

grynder33 Jul 31, 2003 Wisconsin
    Subscriber

Breweries are just going to have to plan,that the lines waiting outside for their exclusives, are no longer all goodhearted,appreciative considerate beer advocates of the past. Back then the day meant making friends,sharing your special cellared brews,getting only your allotment,and if everyone got some,then perhaps going back for some more.Now a days you can count on increasing numbers of low lifes arriving at the last minute and walking up to the front, having no problem with walking away with three times their allotment, while hundreds are left empty after traveling hundreds of miles,and of course the mules and e-bay speculators. The breweries cant be so naieve that they think its all love and fairness outside. And actually ,its not the breweries problem. They have the product,they announce when its for sale, at that time they open the doors and start selling.Unless some brewery finds that perfect solution,we may as well accept this is the way it will always be

CityofBals likes this.
  34. mykey120

Beer Trader

It kind of sounded like they would hand out tickets to the first X amount of people in line maybe, I would hate to see this turn into a fully ticketed event (must have ticket to even come). I thinks that would be unfair to locals and regulars who go just to have a good time and don't care about the bottle release. It would be nice if the bottle release was ticketed though, but Paul also said there should be a significant amount more of the 16th anniversary beer so it might not be as big an issue either. I know these guys rock, and I am positive that they will get it right! I just hope that by next year they have all the kinks worked out so that everyone who wants to go and have a great time at the party can do so, and everyone who wants to try and get bottles has a fair chance.

35. WITTBEER

Beer Trader

If they did tickets just for the bottle release portion I wouldn't mind. Everyone should be able to enjoy the party whether they're buying beer or not.

brian23456 and Dontcounttoday like this.
  36. mykey120

Beer Trader

That's what I think too, especially because I saw some of my old professors there (I went to UWSP) and one of them I remember was a big CW drinker and is retired now but I doubt people like him know the logistics of trying to get tickets to an event (like DLD) and I would hate to see these people not be able to attend. Anyway I had a blast and I know next year will be a blast regardless of whether I get bottles or not. Oh and Paul if you read this, thanks for everything and can you maybe let us know what the 16th anniversary beer will be lol it will hold us people who got shut out of 15 over for the next year! I'm just curious if it will have the maple syrup and brown sugar or whatever they had in it at the tap takeover in Milwaukee(I think?), or if they just added that stuff because it was the non-BA version of the beer.

37. grynder33

grynder33 Jul 31, 2003 Wisconsin
    Subscriber

Central Water 15 will be on tap at Sugar Maple in Milwaukee this Saturday as part of a very worthwhile benefit,Founders Bolt Cutter will also be tapped

stayclean likes this.
  38. MarcatGSB

Great, I can get some Bolt Cutter on tap when I drive through in three weeks...;)

stayclean and jegross2 like this.
  39. MarcatGSB

And here is the video of 15 selling out, WITH, YES WITH, Lansman actually typing this very post. Listen for the very loud "Should have come earlier" about fifty seconds in lol We can chuckle about it all now, can't we?

40. hailster

hailster May 28, 2006 Wisconsin

Thanks for posting the video. I was the guy who's leg was getting shot at the end of the video.

MarcatGSB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe