Central waters black gold questions

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by cubanbeerguy, Oct 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maximum12

maximum12 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,662) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I would say you're asking too much. Exodus isn't such a big deal, but you'd have to find precisely the right person to cough up both the 1414 & the Fifteen...I think that'd be tough.

2. jjheinrichs

jjheinrichs Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Wisconsin
    Deactivated

Wasn't exodus only bottled once, about two years ago in limited quantities?

derkfromwi likes this.
  3. maximum12

maximum12 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,662) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Exodus was bottled quite a while ago, but showed up in retail even in MN & hung around for a while. The others were brewery-only, & thus fewer people were likely to have them in the first place.

4. TheStoutHound

TheStoutHound Savant (1,172) Mar 3, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

My 2 cents: take it or leave it, no harm. Consider trading something else to obtain a bottle of Exodus and forget about 1414 and Fifteen. They were fine beers, don't get me wrong, but I think most would argue, including myself, that Sixteen and/or '14 Black Gold are the superior, more developed BA Stout from CW. Unless you fiend ticking or are a comprehensive series collector, save your BG and drink it or if its an extra burning a hole, then trade it for something else.

Ri0 and robear like this.
  5. mykey120

mykey120 Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2012 Wisconsin

Yeah, I think its likely that anyone with 1414, 15, n exodus bottles probably had a good shot at getting black gold. Or if they didnt, they probably could land black gold without gettting rid of the 1414/15 especially

6. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Exodus will eventually be released again, maybe in 2015? It is sitting in barrels; I saw 32 of them when I was at GABF.

robear likes this.
  7. robear

robear Initiate (0) May 24, 2014 Wisconsin

That's over 5,000 bottles worth :wink:

Or 4,000 bottles and some kegs.

Did anyone see any "17" barrels? I seem to remember 16 getting put out early (Great Taste maybe?) for sampling, so we all knew what was coming.

8. Ri0

I'm sure that some will be put into kegs. I didn't see anything labeled 17.

9. robear

They've really gone whole hog with the barrel aging program- their capacity is ridiculous.

10. Yohann

Yohann Zealot (708) Apr 29, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

16 was on draft for a while at last year's GABF, later in the afternoon after Fifteen kicked. Didn't see any evidence of 17 at this year's event.

CW set a very high mark with 16; topping (or even matching) it with 17 may be tough.

11. robear

Agreed 100%. I think they have to either go with very special barrels (possibly non-bourbon?), throw in some adjuncts (vanilla bean BBA 16-ish stout, maybe throw in some coffee if they have the balls), or a non-stout (secret anniversary sour, anybody?)

12. WI-Beer-Man

WI-Beer-Man Maven (1,383) May 29, 2014 Wisconsin

17 is a BA stout.

16 variants will be made; vanilla, cacao nibs, maybe coffee and will be distributed. (Yes, this blew my mind in a good way)

RobinLee, SkippyChop, TboneRN and 4 others like this.
  13. Ri0

So much awesome! Sixteen is their best stout and they are making variants. Gives me a good reason to drop BCBS from my purchases and let the wolves fight over it.

robear likes this.
  14. robear

Agreed 100%. Already looking forward to taking a weekend off in January to head up North.

16 variants- does this mean that they still have some in barrels w/ said additions, or that they brewed a new batch to age soon? Looking forward to stopping by CW and asking some questions!

15. Yohann

Yohann Zealot (708) Apr 29, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

Any indication of when they might be released?

Additives like vanilla and cacao nibs don't get added until relatively close to bottling, so as long as they've got the beer aging in barrels, the decision on whether/what to do for variants can be made pretty late in the game, FWIW.

16. robear

There are many different strategies for brewing with additives out there- I think there are some BA stouts out there that are aged on additives, or have additives added during/after brewing and are then aged. Especially with coffee, I'm curious what path CW would take.

Mostly though, I'm curious as to whether they've brewed a whole new batch of 16 base stout or if they're still using up the gigantic batch they must have made over three years ago.

17. WI-Beer-Man

WI-Beer-Man Maven (1,383) May 29, 2014 Wisconsin

I am unsure as to when...was too excited to think of asking other pertinent questions. :flushed:

18. robear

Let's just hope they don't get shipped of to distribution in NY and IL before all of Wisconsin is covered. :wink:

Yohann and Ri0 like this.
  19. Ri0

Yes, the fact that BBSA was shipped to NY well before most of WI had it... :angry:

20. Kbyfield

Kbyfield Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2009 Wisconsin

On a related but completely off topic note - if anyone here knows about re-bottling beer (think adding flavors to beers), I'd love some advice via PM.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.