Chain Drinking

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheBrewo, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2010 New York

It may be the Woot Stout 2.0 talking, but we may have just come up with a new term...

"Chain Drinking": to open and pour another beer before finishing the one in your glass.

What beers do you chain drink?! For us it's the likes of Sucks, All Day (really any Founders, no?!), and Two Hearted. There are too many to list, honestly. What comes to mind for everyone else?!

zachrotc, gillagorilla and TongoRad like this.
  2. beerkim

beerkim Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2012 Pennsylvania

i like to chain drink stouts and sours. let it breathe and warm a little if i plan to drink multiple bottles in a sitting.

TheBrewo likes this.
  3. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,473) Dec 2, 2009 New York

i wouldn't chain drink the same beer, but i might open a new beer before finishing an old if i know i'm going to drink it anyway.

e.g. i'm at a gathering with some friends who all like craft beer. maybe we're all splitting some 4 pack, and i also plan on having some other 1 shot beer. if that makes sense.

glassware is a limiting factor of course.

yeah, that too.

TheBrewo likes this.
  4. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,759) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Most recently- Weihenstephaner Oktoberfestbier, 3 last night. I can't have just one of those.

5. TommyTheHat

TommyTheHat Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

I misunderstood the thread title...sorry. I was thinking of something else. Chain drinking isn't really a problem. It's passing the damn thing!!

Actually I just finished a six pack of Lancaster Milk stout in about 2 hours and it only took me that long because I stopped to eat.

6. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,059) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Hopefully the horses know the way home! My roommate in college was from Lancaster.

7. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Disciple (344) Jan 25, 2012 Texas

I don't usually do it on purpose, but if I'm distracted or working on something I may open a new beer even though I don't remember finishing the last one. It usually happens when I'm brewing. I will get busy with something, then writing in my brew log and open up a beer. I will then find the old one where I put it down 30 minutes later. Good thing I don't mind warm beer!

8. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

I can honestly say I've never done this. What's so hard about finishing what's in your glass before opening another bottle?

Pug, Brolo75, hopsputin and 2 others like this.
  9. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,782) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

^ Same here. Just not something I ever do.

But OP, what's up with the plural first-person voice? Is this like a Gollum thing?

10. wordemupg

wordemupg Poo-Bah (4,207) Feb 11, 2009 Canada
    Society Trader

I'm chain drinking a 6er of Peche Mortal at the moment, wish me luck!!
    Enough caffeine too keep one eye open and enough booze too shut the other.

11. loafinaround

loafinaround Aspirant (200) Jul 16, 2011 New York

aigh. I did this today. After roughly 10 days of being dry, I chain drank (over a period of 5 hours) a jai alai, part of a cherry biscotti break (shared with 2 people), another jai alai, and a bcbs (shared w/ 3 people)....

twas a bit much for me.

12. cyrushire

cyrushire Defender (691) May 25, 2012 Florida

I've been know to "marry" a fresh tocobaga into the last 3 oz in a glass from a previous can.

13. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Meyvn (1,016) Oct 24, 2009 California

Isn't this just the same as doing a beer flight?

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  14. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Defender (625) Aug 10, 2010 New York

If I'm out at a restaurant/craft beer bar, I won't want to be without a beer for any period of time. So before I finish my first beer, I always make sure I have my 2nd ready to go.

15. TongoRad

Society Trader

No- I think he's just saying you are left with an ounce or two in your glass and then top it off with a full bottle.

Geuzedad, TheBrewo and Rollzroyce21 like this.
  16. Knobs303

Knobs303 Aspirant (271) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado

Perfer to Chain Smoke, but those days are over.

AaronRodgersMVP12 and malvrich like this.
  17. Redneckwine

Redneckwine Disciple (304) Dec 3, 2013 Washington

Hmm, can't say I've ever "chain drank" on purpose, anyway. The only times I can recall that happening was in high school and college whilst consuming ridiculous amounts of Coors Light. Occasionally, some other drunk idiot besides myself would stagger by and say something like, "You need another beer, don't be a little bitch!", and hand me another despite already having one. And what's a drunk idiot to do besides become overly defensive about his social status and start swilling that crap down double time, right!?

18. Rollzroyce21

Ohh... into the same glass. Then we're talking blending, sorta...

Then no, don't really see the value to it. Why not just straight up blend the beers?

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  19. Feel_the_Darkness

Feel_the_Darkness Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2012 Virginia

If you've never double fisted your favorite beer, you've never really lived, and I weep for you.

20. TongoRad

Society Trader

Are you yankin' my chain? :slight_smile:. No blending- the same beer. He's asking which beers you drink in such quantity that you seamlessly go through several bottles.

21. Roxie_B

Roxie_B Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2014 Alabama

Can't say I have as my favorite styles are sort of a project of an hour to drink and enjoy. (Okay, maybe 30 minutes)
    Also because cats.

TheBrewo and AdmiralOzone like this.
  22. reaganrvltn

reaganrvltn Aspirant (215) May 24, 2014 Georgia

I saw this at my local bottle shop. It was also at $9.99 a bottle. Not sure I can justify the purchase.

23. AdmiralOzone

AdmiralOzone Poo-Bah (2,087) Jun 26, 2014 Minnesota
    Society Trader

:slight_frown: I have, but never on purpose.

24. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,233) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

So chain drinking is different from a session? I just call it "Saturday" ...

#24 JuicesFlowing, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  25. TongoRad

Society Trader

Ouch! That's gotta be a mistake- it's about 6X too high.

StrappingYoungLad likes this.
  26. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Initiate (197) Dec 10, 2006 Minnesota
    Brewery

I usually crack open my next beer with the one I am currently drinking.

27. azorie

azorie Champion (892) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

I will be chain drinking a few Orval's today. lol

TongoRad and TheBrewo like this.
  28. ArkansasTraveller

ArkansasTraveller Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Arkansas

I'm guilty of this right now.

29. Rollzroyce21

That's it. I'm going straight to you whenever I'm not clear on anything beer-related.

TongoRad likes this.
  30. Pzellot

Pzellot Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2012 California

I've been guilty of opening a new beer before finishing the old one. Sometimes a crisp cold beer will help the last bit of an older warmer beer go down a bit easier.

malvrich likes this.
  31. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Never done this, usually have a break between beers.

32. Justin8mypants

Justin8mypants Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2014 Oklahoma

I so did this with old rasputin today. For 2 of the 4 bottles I pulled, I still had 2 oz of beer in my glass. I call this winning.

33. rozzom

rozzom Champion (878) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

We also have never opened a beer before finishing the one we're drinking. Otherwise the nasty little hobbitsses might steal it.

34. Donco

Donco Devotee (460) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Yep. It's the Woot 2.0 talking...:wink:

35. BeerZar

BeerZar Initiate (79) Apr 30, 2014 Ohio

I usually don't "chain drink," but I will finish what is currently in my glass faster in anticipation of what I'm pouring next.

36. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

This may sound crazy but it works for me. When I'm 1/2 done with my first beer I pour 1/2 of my next beer into a new glass. Then when I'm 3/4 done with my first beer I pour the other 1/2 of my second beer into my second glass. When I finish my 1st beer I then before I take a drink of my 2nd beer I pour 1/4 of my 3rd beer back into my first glass that I have already cleaned.
    Now here is where it gets complicated. When I'm 40 percent done with my second beer I then pour 1/2 of the 3/4 of beer I have left from the third bottle into my first glass which has become the glass for my third beer. Then when I'm 80 percent done with my second beer I pour the other 1/2 of the 3/4 of beer I poured into the first glass but third beer into a fourth glass.
    It's a little time consuming and requires myself to drink my beer with a digital scale as a coaster but it works for me.

Saisons-of-the-Abyss and jrnyc like this.
  37. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,459) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

None. Don't drink that way.

38. iTunesUpdates

iTunesUpdates Disciple (359) May 7, 2014 Florida

I did it with weyerbacher's Tiny last night. Huge ABV so I let it sit and popped a Rebel IPA.

39. tfaosd

tfaosd Initiate (48) Jun 4, 2010 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

It's like, you know man, the "Royal We".

TheBrewo and rozzom like this.
  40. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Chain drinking is for macro lager drinkers. When your beer has no taste to begin with, mixing it with another doesn't matter.
    Sorry Charlie. Craft beer tastes good.

Cubatobaco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.