Changes to shipping laws?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by polloenfuego, May 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polloenfuego

polloenfuego Jan 26, 2013 Canada (NB)
    Society Trader

So I recently discovered that there have been some changes to interprovincial shipping rules for beer.

This does not apply to all provinces, but it seems some barriers are coming down. After some research, I learned that Ontario has dropped import restrictions on beer from AB, SK, MB, NB, NS, PEI and NL. BC and Quebec are still out in the cold. Of course the rules are that it must be shipped by a registered producer or agent, and by a authorized shipper. On those over 19 blah blah blah.

This is a major change. And it really opens things up, if the breweries are willing to ship. I know that Trailway Brewing in Fredericton NB is in the game. I received my first shipment from them today. They only ship to ON and the Atlantic provinces.

I am hoping this is a sign of good things to come. I'll happily pay the shipping to try some beer from across the country.

2. icormier

icormier Jul 15, 2014 Canada (ON)

I was pretty happy to get door-to-door deliveries from the local breweries in Ottawa. This is good news - hope things open up for Quebec brewers.

beerluvr likes this.
  3. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

It’s a huge change. I keep meaning to pull the trigger on a Trailway order myself. Stillwell is doing it to I believe. Another I’ll likely order from.

Electros likes this.
  4. CurtisD

CurtisD Aug 16, 2012 Canada (NB)
    Trader

I believe craft alcohol producers in NB are now allowed to sell each other’s products. If that means that the breweries doing shipping are now defacto online boutique beer stores...well that would make it really enticing for out-of-province folks to place an order and sample a wider variety of products.

5. polloenfuego

polloenfuego Jan 26, 2013 Canada (NB)
    Society Trader

Congratulations to New Brunswick, jumping miles ahead of Ontario. Your move Doug.

6. onezendad

onezendad Apr 16, 2018 Canada (ON)

A friend ordered from NS to Ontario and it worked out okay. It's not cheap and takes forever but the beer was a nice change. We split the order so the shipping cost was mitigated a bit

Electros likes this.
  7. CurtisD

Trader

Is there a resource that shows which Canadian breweries ship to which province? I know there are a few Ontario-centric lists that show who was doing home delivery.

8. Electros

Electros Feb 20, 2007 Canada (ON)
    Moderator Society Trader

Definatly doing a Trailway order too!

9. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Oct 24, 2012 Canada (BC)

Unfortunately BC is still far behind on this. Blame the wine lobbies :stuck_out_tongue:

10. CraigWilson506

CraigWilson506 Apr 15, 2018 Canada (NB)

I've ordered quite a bit of beer out of province into NB - mostly from Nova Scotia breweries, but one from Ontario shipped here as well. Some refuse to do it, and some won't even get back to you, but it would be great if there was a list of breweries willing to ship out of province. I'm sure I'm not aware of all of them.

11. CurtisD

Trader

Can you let me know who shipped to you from Ontario?

Cheers to a fellow NBer, btw!

12. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

I can’t speak for the above, it I believe Flying Monkeys is shipping Canada wide now.

CurtisD likes this.
  13. CraigWilson506

CraigWilson506 Apr 15, 2018 Canada (NB)

Hi Curtis - we got an order from Left Field - I see above that Flying Monkeys is doing it too - that's sort of exciting. Left Field is very good as well.

CurtisD and Coronaeus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.