Charged at a bottle share?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by crow121, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crow121

crow121 Sep 23, 2010 Maryland

Went to a share. Was charged by the host among 5-6 people because he wanted to try a bunch of his cellared bottles. This ever happen to anyone? Just curious because the idea of a share, is to share. Was kinda surprised to have been asked to throw in cash for it. Not a big deal, just curious if others do this too.

2. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Never had this happen to me before.

3. Squire

Squire Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I can't say that a host charging is wrong per se but it should be made clear beforehand.

4. Wasatch

Wasatch Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

I've never heard of that before.

Cheers!

DoctorZombies, VABA and WesMantooth like this.
  5. tobelerone

tobelerone Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Never experienced or really heard of this but it is pretty much expected that each attendee bring bottles of their own to share - and ideally they are roughly equivalent to those of the host and others. A newbie can be excused if their bottles aren't on par in terms of desirability or exclusivity or whatever, but it's a share - if one turns up empty handed it's not a share, it's a "take"!

tanis38, FarmerTed, John_M and 5 others like this.
  6. jageraholic

jageraholic Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Did you bring bottles to share? I've never heard of someone charging but it doesn't surprise me that it did.

7. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

The only thing I can think of is either what he offered was so above the rest he just wanted to even out things, or someone did not bring anything? I never saw this happen but just thinking out loud of possible reasons for it to.

Wasatch likes this.
  8. utopiajane

utopiajane Jun 11, 2013 New York

I have heard of it. I say it's six of one half a dozen of the other if you are told in advance like @Squire123 said. If you are invited to dinner as a guest, you usually do not pay any money nor are you asked to do any of the cooking, cleaning etc. That is uncouth. However to bring a polite thank you is always the right thing to do. It does not have to be beyond your means either.

I'll tell you a story. Julia child would carry her chef's knife when she went to other people's houses as a guest because they would inevitably ask her to cook. No one ever invites me because I won't do it. If I am a guest, that is one thing. I f we are at a SHARE I would expect to bring something to share.

PatrickCT, nc41, Jaycase and 5 others like this.
  9. Harrison8

Harrison8 Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I've thought about hosting a "share" of sorts with friends, but just charge them about $10 each and bring up a couple boxes and let them pick out a bottle or two they want to try and host a tasting that way.

Otherwise, I've never visited a share, although the whole premise sounds like everyone's $$$ contribution is paid out in beer.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  10. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

Meh. Sounds tacky to me.

11. woodychandler

woodychandler Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Sharing is one thing. A paid tasting is another.

Although the English language is fluid/flexible, words still have precise meanings. I was an English major, but my eyes were opened one evening in a summer school Algebra class when the prof laid on us that math is also a precise language, with its symbols & such each having a particular meaning. It then occurred to me that the same precision can be applied to our language. Without said precision, it becomes a case of Alice down the rabbit hole in which case, words only mean something when I want them to mean something. Gibberish ensues. Word salad.

12. JrGtr

JrGtr Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I haven't seen anything like that.
    Most shares I've been to everyone brings a couple bottles of interesting beer. The closest was a couple times we've been asked to chip in for food - which I have no problem with. A couple pizzas or whatever takes the edge off the beers.
    I can almost see it if the host is providing all the beer, but it's still pretty tacky.

jrnyc, Gajo74 and Wasatch like this.
  13. ovaltine

ovaltine Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Sounds like you went to a "Beer Expo/Beer Show" and not a "Share." Hopefully the host had the booth tastefully appointed.

14. crow121

crow121 Sep 23, 2010 Maryland

yeah, brought a bunch to share. oh well, again, not worried about it all. just wasn't sure if I missed something.

15. Squire

Society Trader

I also notice the supply comes from the host's cellar, which means it's old, and not every brew approaches old age gracefully. Is he sharing or dumping.

16. Squire

Society Trader

If you're asked to pay in addition to your contribution that sounds sorta lopsided.

17. HeilanCoo

HeilanCoo Sep 11, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Exactly. And illegal. Charging money for alcohol without an appropriate license or permit is not allowed in any state.

Dravin, alucard6679, NCMonte and 5 others like this.
  18. Squire

Society Trader

Technically correct but that would be hard to prosecute unless he makes a habit of it. Even by charging guests he still might not break even.

I'm just uncomfortable with the idea of money changing hands in a social setting.

19. cmukid87

cmukid87 Jan 30, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

If someone asked me to pay when I arrived, I would literally laugh and leave. Maybe the host should have saved those whalez for a share with better friends than I would be.

Unless the host bought those bottles on the secondary market, there is no world in which charging is even comprehensible. But even then it is an absolutely ridiculous request.

#19 cmukid87, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  20. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

There's a name for those. Ones I walk out on.

dcotom, jrnyc, 7irondave and 12 others like this.
  21. Sabtos

Sabtos Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

At his house or hosted by a professional establishment?

I attend a share once every other month at a restaurant, and everyone is charged to participate whether they bring beer or not, because there are dump buckets to deal with, ice buckets and bins for the bottles (which usually ends up being over 100 bottles), glasses, water service, and food service for just about everyone.

Essentially it's a corkage fee, since no one orders beers that the restaurant has, and the fact that we take up an entire room, or an entire bar depending on the venue.

But if we're talking about a person's house, that's...kind of embarrassing. Beer is meant to be shared. If you aren't willing to share it among friends who are also sharing, then keep it in your cellar and list it on your will to be buried with you.

jrnyc, PDawson, Gibspeed and 8 others like this.
  22. Junior

Junior May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Charging at a share seem rather strange as well, like he was dumping beer he had too much of or and been holding for too long. Especially if this was not communicated up front. What happened to the beers that the group brought to share? Was the beer that guy brought out stuff that the group wanted to try?

Sabtos likes this.
  23. Gajo74

Gajo74 Sep 14, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

I agree with many posters that asking people for at a bottle share is both tacky and being an ungracious host. If said host was trying to offset the cost of expensive bottles in his/her cellar, that is just as bad. Imagine if I buy a $100 bottle of wine and save for a special occasion. Imagine I then throw a dinner party and charge my guests for the bottle. That is just plain WRONG!!!

jrnyc, rightcoast7, Lucular and 10 others like this.
  24. Jag237

Jag237 Aug 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

I've never been to a tasting like this and it is an odd request but I also feel like the idea of a bottle share is for everyone to bring a few things so if the guy was providing all the beer himself I feel like there's nothing wrong with asking for a little compensation. However it should have been communicated beforehand.

#24 Jag237, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    drtth likes this.
  25. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

26. bubseymour

bubseymour Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Yeah, bad form to be surprised at the party to pay money.

However I'd see nothing wrong if a text or email went out to invitees that said something like "Hey there is a bottle of Utopias at store "X" for $200. I'd be willing to go get it for our bottle share if we get enough people willing to chip in some money to help pay for it. Any interest just let me know"

Something like that seems reasonable, and if not enough people willing to chip in the host just doesn't have to go buy it.

27. Beer_Line

Beer_Line May 29, 2015 California

Should have told the host to F-off. Ridiculous:angry:

28. Urk1127

Urk1127 Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Sounds like you need new friends to me.

It's the same with cigarettes. I won't sell a loose cigarette to someone. It's just a cigarette. Take it.

lightman1, dcotom, jrnyc and 2 others like this.
  29. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

I have a couple boxes of good BA stouts, BWs, rarities, etc that I've been accruing in the hopes of having people over for a share this fall. I was just going to toss open the boxes on the table and let everyone else decide what to open first. Not charging any money or asking anyone to bring anything because 1- I have too much beer to not be generous with it and 2- asking people for money in my own home is a tacky ass tightwad move.

If I were OP, I wouldn't go back to that place. Seems like the 'level' of the bottles being shared should be made clear beforehand vs asking for money to even thing out.

30. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

BINGO

jrnyc likes this.
  31. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Sep 1, 2009 Illinois

That would be called a Sale, not a Share

I think "this guy" knows my friend as he and his wife were invited over to "this guys" house for dinner and my friend asked what they could bring, "this guy" said a 7lb roast

True story and my friend brought one

Txex06, HoppingMadMonk and Beer_Line like this.
  32. djs467

djs467 Mar 1, 2011 Colorado

So what bottles did this jerk offer up?

jrnyc, Blackop555, JFresh21 and 5 others like this.
  33. Sabtos

Sabtos Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

*WE MUST KNOW!*
    *WE MUST KNOW!*

PDawson, Blackop555, jlordi12 and 5 others like this.
  34. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

I have paid before at shares for a couple of reasons:
    1. Share was part of a charity/fundraising event
    2. Cover the cost of food to be provided at the share

In both cases, I was aware beforehand. I have no problem throwing in a little cash (especially if it is for a good cause). Around me, there is a share about once a quarter for charity where everyone is asked to bring a bottle and $5 - it usually ends up raising around $350 because a number of folks are more generous than the $5 donation and there are often some really good bottles shared.

JrGtr, cjgiant, donspublic and 5 others like this.
  35. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Only time I have heard of this is when a local pub hosts a bottle share. They ask for $10 at the door, but they serve appetizers all night. Other than that sort of thing, I can't imagine a person asking for cash at a share unless 1) it was for something specific (e.g. food) or 2) it was for some sort of cause, or 3) it was for some special beer (e.g. Utopia, as mentioned above) that would clearly cost A LOT of money. In the latter case, it MUST be announced before the share. Otherwise, that's a crappy move.

36. FBarber

FBarber Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I've hosted several bottle shares - most have been just exactly that - a share where everyone brought bottles and food. However, one of them I prepared food and asked (in advance on the invite) to chip in for food.

utopiajane likes this.
  37. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Exactly. If you don't think I'm "worthy," then hell, don't invite me (I wont' be insulted I can assure you).

If someone spent a boatload of money on obtaining a lot of rare and or limited stuff, I could see mentioning this to the other participants, see if they had an interest in partaking, and then asking if they could share in the cost. However, I think you need to make that clear in advance. A friend of mine obtained a bottle of HOTD Dave some years back, and he asked the other participants to help with the cost of the bottle. However, this was spelled out well in advance, so there was no surprise. That's what I don't like about the OP's experience. The arrangement wasn't spelled out in advance.

Over the years, I've been to a number of great bottle shares. In the beginning, the stuff I brought often times wasn't all that great, comparatively speaking (though it was the best I could do, and I often thought I was actually being pretty generous). Now a days, I've been around for a while and often times bring pretty good stuff. So I feel as if things have sort of evened out over time. Still can't imagine ever asking (or wanting) anyone to help me pay for anything (no matter how limited, rare or costly). That just seems weird.

utopiajane, sharpski, LeRose and 2 others like this.
  38. moshea

moshea Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

I have a few questions if you do not mind;

1 - Did you know there was a charge prior to attending?
    2 - How much was the charge
    3 - What beers were provided for the charge?

Cheers

jrnyc, Blackop555, Lucular and 3 others like this.
  39. LeRose

LeRose Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Damn...I coulda charged $8.50 for Hidden Cove Summer and a hot dog at my house this Sunday...

If under the circumstances described it was an individual's house and "normal" bring some/drink some bottle share guidelines were the expectation, it seems quite tactless to me to ask people to essentially pay a cover at the door. Under other circumstances people have mentioned (charity, arranged "dinner" type tasting with food, contributing to a truly expensive beer, or discussed and agreed to beforehand, etc) the expectation is changed and the etiquette seems completely different.

Nobody's money is any good at my house when it comes to food and beverage - you want to bring something to eat or drink, that's cool, but I wouldn't ever be thinking of cash. I was taught you don't show up to someone's house for an "event" empty-handed even if all you can manage is a loaf of bread, so that essentially sets my expectation. People usually learn, those who don't sometimes they just f-f-f-fade away.

jrnyc, Ericness, Shaymus and 5 others like this.
  40. Sabtos

Sabtos Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

@crow121 you are leaving us in the most lurchiest of lurches.

By tomorrow morning our panties may be unwadded and our talons may already be gripping a new mystery.

Deets nao, man!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.