Charlotte, NC

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Disciple (381) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Hey ya'll - headed to Charlotte for 48 hours.

Where is the best place to BUY beer?

Where is the best place to HAVE beer?

To be honest - Ill be looking for a place that has a solid selection of Wicked Weed. Where is that place?

Note: not interested in "I hate Wicked Weed" posts. Constructive comments only Advocates!

Lonestar9 likes this.
  2. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,298) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

It probably depends on where you are going to be in Charlotte as for where to get a beer (I think a lot of the places in CLT post their draft lists on Untappd). Also depends on the styles that you are looking to enjoy.

Personally I tend to visit Salud (which usually has a pretty good selection and a brewery upstairs) but it is also most convenient to the others things I'm doing while in CLT. I don't personally know about the Wicked Weed stock at shops in CLT because we have distribution for those here in Greensboro, NC so I have not looked for it when out of town.

Lots of folks are big fans of Brawley's Beverage in CLT but I have not visited myself.

3. LancetherealLeader

LancetherealLeader Disciple (378) Jul 12, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

I know that Brawley's stopped carrying WW, but they are definitely worth checking out and literally around the corner from Total Wine, which does carry WW. I'm not sure about Salud, but I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped carrying it, too.

4. Bfairhurst74

Bfairhurst74 Initiate (150) Nov 16, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

I think most of not all of the independent shops in Charlotte stopped carrying WW. Maybe Duckworths? If you are staying downtown go to the cellar at duckworths. Between the upstairs and down in the cellar It will please pretty much any beer lover.

5. NoMoreBeerBelly

NoMoreBeerBelly Initiate (143) Dec 2, 2009 North Carolina

Your best bet is Vintners Wine Market. It is my go to bar near my house, amazing well diverse tap list, and excellent selection of sours, including all the WW stuff. They also are one of the few places in town that also sells Burial. Don't let the name fool you. Its a beer place that just has a lot of wine along the wall!

Up to date tap list here: https://www.beermenus.com/places/20945-vintner-wine-market-nc

FIN and Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas like this.
  6. cmmatt

cmmatt Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2011 North Carolina

You won't find WW at Salud or Brawley's, though those are two outstanding places to visit. Good Bottle and Vintner carry WW, as does any local grocery store you'll find.

7. cronimi

cronimi Disciple (367) Jan 28, 2009 North Carolina
    Society

Exactly. If WW is what you seek, go to Harris Teeter or Whole Foods. They'll have many varieties of WW at the best prices. If you can look past WW, Brawley's is a great place. As dbrauneis mentioned, it depends on where you'll be in the city.

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas likes this.
  8. Subcontrabass

Subcontrabass Initiate (63) Jun 21, 2014 North Carolina

All of the Total Wine & More stores in Charlotte should have all of the Wicked Weed stuff on the market.

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas likes this.
  9. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Trader

Thanks Advocates, for all the replies!

It has been mentioned "where Ill be in town" - Ill be right in the heart of downtown Charlotte. Or, as ya'll refer to it as "uptown".

Bfairhurst74 likes this.
  10. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Trader

@NoMoreBeerBelly mentioned Burial - which I will also be ISO.

Any recommendations other then Vintners that I can find Burial?
    Really want to try Surf Wax ... is that easy to find?

11. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

Not sure when you are coming to NC but it just hit places a week or so ago and it hits every couple of weeks around the area.

I'm sure you could find someone to pick it up and meet you with it if it comes out just before your visit.

12. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

If you like a DIPA - definitely recommend Gang of Blades which hit the Triad (Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point) yesterday.

13. Bfairhurst74

Bfairhurst74 Initiate (150) Nov 16, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

If you are staying in uptown, it’s an easy Uber to NoDA area. You can check out Heist and Salud. Heist is making some of if not the best IPA’s in the state and has some good food as well.

Salud is a bottle shop and brewery. If you are looking for Burial they will have all the latest releases.

14. NoMoreBeerBelly

Salad, Brawley’s and Good Bottle are the only other places I know that stock Burial. Surf Wax dropped yesterday but who knows how long it will last! It comes and goes and irregular intervals

15. ShabamJenkins

ShabamJenkins Initiate (62) Oct 22, 2015 North Carolina

A bottle shop having both Wicked Weed and Burial? I would say Good Bottle might be your best bet. Salud and Brawley's won't have Wicked Weed but will have Burial. Total Wine carries Wicked Weed but I don't think carries Burial.

16. LancetherealLeader

Trader

I have found Burial at The Common Market (2 Charlotte locations). Burial self distributes, so you won't find any at Total Wine.

17. lateralusbeer

lateralusbeer Aspirant (222) Feb 7, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

Maybe I misread your post but Charlotte Total Wines carry a number of brands that self distribute.

18. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

I think you misread the post - Total Wine may have brands that self-distribute but I *think* he is saying that Burial does not self-distribute to Total Wine (they don't even self-distribute to all the independent local Triad bottle shops currently).

19. LancetherealLeader

Trader

Sorry about the confusion on my post. I know that Burial specifically doesn't distribute to TW. I live in SC and about a year or so ago, Burial announced that they would be shipping beers in our state. I don't know if they sufficiently did their research beforehand, but once they found out that they HAD to use the 3-tier system and TW was going to sell their beers, they backed out. I guess they didn't want their beers languishing in those stores. I get it, but it was disappointing for us. I still make it up to Charlotte and Asheville a few times a year so it's no big deal. Just my 2 cents...

20. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Trader

Howdy NC Advocates! Just wanted to thank you all for the posts and contribution on this thread. It helped immensely.

While in Charlotte, we went to Salud, Heist, & NoDa. Drank plenty of Burial as well.

Oh - and we went to The Cellar at Duckworths which I will say - was OFF THE FUCKING CHARTS! We worked up a hefty bill with food and bottles. Then, worked up another hefty bill with to-go beers. Definitely a rock solid place.

If ya'll are ever in Houston - Ill return the favor as far as pointing ya in the right direction for beer/food.

CHEERS!

NCMonte, Mbgreg, rgordon and 7 others like this.
  21. TomCat11

TomCat11 Devotee (490) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Going to be staying in downtown Charlotte (Marriott City Center) in a couple weeks. Is there a good shop to grab bottles/cans in the downtown area? Looking to keep it as close as possible to where I'm staying. Walking distance would be ideal but looking at the maps it looks like Salud or Good Bottle Co. are my nearest choices. Any fresh releases I should be on the lookout for?

Time is limited and I just have a few hours on a Friday afternoon free but I hope to be able to check out a couple breweries. Anyone have opinions on these places or others in the downtown area I have not mentioned? I go for just about all styles.
    - Bold Missy
    - Free Range
    - Hyde
    - Lennyboy
    - Resident Culture
    - Sycamore Brewing
    - Unknown Brewing
    - Wooden Robot

Heist is on my list so that's a given. I visited NoDa and Birdsong several years ago at their old locations so unless there is something I can't get in a shop or some reason to check out their new spots I'll probably skip those and stick to beers/breweries Ive not yet had.

TIA!

22. NoMoreBeerBelly

IMHO:
    Bold Missy - Pass
    Free Range - Eh
    Hyde - Haven't been, but heard space is nice, beer OK.
    Lenny Boy - Decent
    Resident Culture - Must Hit
    Sycamore - Fun to people watch. Beer is usually descent
    Unknown - Eh but cool rooftop patio
    Wooden Robot - Must Hit

Add Divine Barrel to your list (its across the street from Bold Missy if you do happen to go)
    Add Legion - Must hit
    Add Noda back- Their new taproom has like 28 beers on tap, most you have never had. $5 uber from any of the other breweries in Noda.
    Add Southern Tier/Victory if you are in the area, need dinner, and like their beers. Beautiful spot with good food and lots of taps.

Mbgreg, PJ_, dbrauneis and 1 other person like this.
  23. ShabamJenkins

If you're looking for a bottle shop and are already planning on going to Heist, you should definitely stop by Salud. Downstairs is a bottle shop with what's usually a great taplist. Upstairs is Salud Cerveceria, their brewery. They seem to quietly be making some pretty good stuff.

If you're looking for best beer quality, my recommended list of places to stop at would be Heist, Resident Culture, Wooden Robot, and Salud. There's definitely some places that have really nice spaces but they usually come with beer that's not quite as good.

If you're willing to go outside of Charlotte, I'd throw High Branch onto the list as well. Unfortunately it's kind of out of the way.

TomCat11 likes this.
  24. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (793) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

I get that lagers aren't sexy, but the fact that no one ever mentions Olde Mecklenburg, one of the top German-style producers in the country, as a recommendation for Charlotte is mind-bending to me. It hasn't even been mentioned in this thread once. That's absurd to me.

Capt. James Jack Pils is one of the best pilsners made in the US, and Mecktoberfest is similarly amazing for märzens. It's one of the best breweries in the state, let alone Charlotte itself. Definitely check them out.

25. TomCat11

Trader

Thanks for the direction! I have a nice list of options. Should be able to easily get in a couple stops. Are there any specifics can/bottles I should be on the lookout for to bring back with me to VA?

I do enjoy Olde Mecklenburg but you're right @THANAT0PSIS . It is often overlooked but their beers are excellent. When a friends of ours visits a couple times each year she always brings at least a couple of their current bombers. Have heard their facility is a good place to check out as well.

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  26. ShabamJenkins

I don't recall any big releases coming up in the next few weeks. If you're looking for cans from Heist or Resident Culture, just check their social media near when you'll be here. I believe Heist pretty much announces the day they're available (their cans stick around for weeks now) and Resident Culture will tease any releases they have at least during the week leading up them being available.

Nothing else is coming to mind off the top of my head for other NC breweries you may not have access too that would be available in bottle shops around the area. We do get decent distro from the state. Anything/anyone in particular you looking for? Styles you like?

27. rgordon

rgordon Savant (966) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I don't hate Wicked Weed, I saw them building a very powerful brand very quickly. I know these guys pretty well and realized they were on a mission. I'm happy for them: they hit a ripe market!
    Go see Brawley and listen to these other Charlotte hands

28. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Poo-Bah (2,451) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I second Olde Mecklenberg impressive brewery great beers and the food is amazing. The wife and I always split a pizza. Cool note I was picking up some swag for a BIF I was in and they were out of whatever it was I was looking for so the bartender GAVE me bunch of neat random stuff after I told her what I was wanting it for. Great group of people there, always a great time.

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  29. PJ_

PJ_ Initiate (164) Nov 13, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Ill echo nMBB. Skip Bold Missy 100% and go to Divine Barrel instead. Their tap list right now (typing this from the bar) is amazing. You're a Towel is probably their best NEIPA thus far.

Wooden Robot, Resident Culture, Legion, Heist, Salud, and this place are my current must go recommendations. As of bars..Hattie's and Common Market for variety and late night fun.

TomCat11 likes this.
  30. sdhopaddict

sdhopaddict Initiate (78) Oct 9, 2016 California

I have 3 nights coming up where based on flights I'm splitting between Charlotte and Asheville. Any thoughts on how some of these highly recommended breweries in Charlotte compare to Asheville and whether I should do 1 night Charlotte and 2 nights in Asheville or skip Charlotte beer completely?

31. lateralusbeer

lateralusbeer Aspirant (222) Feb 7, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

Honestly at this point there are only a handful of Asheville breweries I feel like I "need" to hit. Hi Wire, Burial, Sierra Nevada if you haven't been....the rest are all fun places in their own ways but I don't have any musts in there. I'm sure others will disagree and/or I'm forgetting someone. Whereas in Charlotte I can think of 6-7 must visits.

32. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

Both cities have really good breweries - I would probably split my time 1 night in CLT and 2 in Asheville.

ShabamJenkins likes this.
  33. NoMoreBeerBelly

Depends on what else you want to do on your visit. I live in CLT but go to AVL for beercations. But I love the outdoors and spend my morning/early afternoons hiking, tubing, etc in Asheville (and the evenings drinking away). I can almost always hit most of my must-stops in Asheville in one night however. The close proximity of most of them on the south slope makes it easy. Charlottes must hits are scattered about and take some more time to hit. Also to note, AVL hotels and Airbnb are expensive AF. Charlotte is cheap (compared to AVL). You can stay downtown Charlotte in a nice hotel for half the price as downtown Asheville. That said, I love visiting Asheville.

MHorridge likes this.
  34. sdhopaddict

sdhopaddict Initiate (78) Oct 9, 2016 California

Any exciting must-visit spots in Charlotte that are interesting for more than just hazy IPAs? Of the few I added I'm now quite excited for Olde Mecklenburg based on a few posts above. Resident Culture and Legion seem exciting mostly for the hazy IPAs and fruited kettle sours. I love a good hazy but my experience traveling outside of most established breweries (Tree House) is often I'm not that impressed by what I find. Anyone doing fantastic barrel-aged sours?

FYI the main reason we are going through Charlotte was it worked out better to get flights that way from San Diego to Charlotte and then flying back out of Asheville. Going to Asheville had too many ridiculous stopovers.

#34 sdhopaddict, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  35. ShabamJenkins

Resident Culture has their first barrel aged sour in bottles conditioning at the moment. I don't think there's been any official word when that will be released quite yet. Wooden Robot periodically releases barrel aged sours as well but tend to be smaller batches that run out pretty close to the weekend they release. Lenny Boy does usually have several wild ales on at their taproom, however the quality isn't quite on the same level. They're always a brewery I forget about but do enjoy going to occasionally.

If you're going to be in Asheville too, you'll probably have better luck there with sours. If you haven't excommunicated Wicked Weed after the InBev deal, the Funkatorium should be able to provide you with quite a few options of bottles/drafts as far as funky/sour beers.

sdhopaddict likes this.
  36. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (793) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

So you're driving from Charlotte to Asheville?

If so, Fonta Flora is right on your way. They're in the vein of a Jester King/Scratch and do very good barrel-aged sours (among other things).

Zebulon is in Weaverville (just north of Asheville), and they also do great sours, but their hours can be difficult to work with.

ShabamJenkins likes this.
  37. TomCat11

Trader

Thanks for all the tips to my questions above. Going to be in Charlotte this weekend and appear to have couple hours Friday afternoon free. First thing I'm going for as soon as we get into town is to grab lunch since it will be at the end of as 5 hour drive that morning. Ends up Fri afternoon I will be on the opposite end of where I was thinking. It's between Sycamore and Wooden Robot. What the best lunch spot with a good beer list? A brewery would be preferred but not a requirement. Someone above mentioned Southern Tier / Victory. That could be an option but I'd like to keep it true local CLT. Olde Meck serves food I see too. Anywhere else that is a can't miss lunch/beer spot in that part of town?

**I'll probably be arriving between 12:30 - 1 so wherever we go has to be open at this time.

38. TomCat11

Trader

Also, any good bottle shops in that area other than Good Bottle Co.?

39. croush

croush Crusader (733) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Just thought I'd post on here that I was in Charlotte for work last week, and utilized the suggestions in this thread and hit up the following: Heist, Resident Culture, Legion, Wooden Robot and Salud.

I'd say they were all good, but Heist was my favorite and Salud was probably second. I've loved Citraquench'l since first having it a few years back, so Heist was already a step ahead for me - the rest of their beers were good too, and I took a crowler home of Strange Clouds. Salud had a really nice variety of beers to try, from hazies to fruit sours/berliners to stouts.

Resident Culture was a bit of a disappointment just because I was there right before their anniversary party. So, a few of the taps were not being utilized and they just had "Coming Soon" on the board and you could see what the beers were (a couple hazies and a sour, I believe). It would've been great to try a bit more of their beers, especially some of those they were bringing out for the anniversary - if I make it back to the area I'll give them a try again.

My liver took a beating getting to all of those places in 3 nights after work, that's for sure.

TomCat11 and ShabamJenkins like this.
  40. NoMoreBeerBelly

Good Bottle is closed for remodel. Pop the Top is a new bottle shop down that way. Can't say I have been but its only been open like a month so there shouldn't be a lot of shelf turds!

Oh and skip Sycamore and hit Wooden Robot. They have a restaurant attached the brewery so you can eat there.