Checking beer on a plane flight/baggage

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by IamMe90, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (529) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

When we flew back from Denver, we managed to get a few through without being fully aware of how to do it right. It's just burying them in the middle and keeping them apart from one another. It was basically a four packs worth.
    When we flew back from Asheville, I came armed with my old flight case I used for carrying records and traveling as a disc jockey. That thing was stuffed to capacity, and some bubble on the necks and a flat I grabbed from a case of bomber bottles. That did the trick and I got about a mixed case worth of delicious Asheville only beer back home. No whalez, just the everydays. But, wow.
    That thing is going to be my travel companion on all future trips.

2. kwakwhore

kwakwhore Zealot (547) Nov 1, 2004 North Carolina

Probably would have been fine if you had had bubble wrap. Those do look pretty sweet.

3. jfh

jfh Devotee (420) Apr 25, 2008 California
    Society

couple things from experience: declare everything. I've not had to pay or been subject to anything other than a quick question, but we declare all beer and wine when traveling. Remember, when traveling with another person, they can be responsible for 1/2 of the alcohol. Going, alcohol is gifts for friends you're meeting. Coming home, alcohol is gifts for friends at home. Always worked for us.

packing: I recommend towels or socks and rubber bands. Light and efficient. I've packed coolers and soft sided luggage to spread the weight around. pack beers together, wrapped together, with clothes around the outside so that a sharp jab won't break a bottle. Embarassing story: I fell backwards on an escalator in San Diego, basically throwing my cooler behind and down to the escalator where it tumbled. I probably broke a rib (hurt for months) on the steps, but no beer was spilled. Pack everything tight so it can't vibrate or move around.

about 50% of the time, they make me sign that the airline isn't repsonsible, and I do. I've only Traveled on United or Southwest (US, UK) or Delta (to Belgium).

I have epoxied a secondary nylon strap with buckle to the cooler. Don't want any chance of the cooler opening.

cheers,

4. kort27

kort27 Initiate (184) Apr 23, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

Pack tight, tight, tight - because I don't know what the hell happens to bags once they leave your sight at the airport, but they move like crazy. I had a pedometer in my luggage this week, and by the time I got from my condo in Florida to my home in Illinois, there were 17,000 steps on the pedometer. If anyone wears a pedometer, they know that that is a LOT of steps. So, that bag was moving around a lot, and I presume that most of it was from moving towards, in, and coming back to me from the plane. Wearing a pedometer in a car does not make the step count go up very much, so not a lot of that was from the car ride.

There was some turbulence on the flight, but not a lot. It's like the bag was bouncing on a trampoline or something on the flight.

5. epyon396

epyon396 Savant (985) Jan 12, 2014 Pennsylvania

I'm so happy that I read through this. I'm going to Belgium and Sweden in November, and planned on bringing back as much beer as the plane could carry.
    Now I don't have to make a thread to ask a question that has been answered thousands of times :grinning:

6. johnjohnbeer

johnjohnbeer Initiate (159) Oct 27, 2012 Kentucky

Just got back from a Vermont Beercation, took back 3 checked bags as well as sent a box from FedEx.

As long as the bag is under 50 pounds and the beer is wrapped properly, you will have no issues.

7. yort2009

yort2009 Initiate (71) Sep 20, 2009 Iowa
    Trader

Just brought back 18 bottles from the PNW. Bought a wine shipper (12 pack) while I was there and filled it with the largest bottles. Checked this for $20 and paid $20 for our other checked back that I stuffed the remaining 6 bottles into. Bought electrical tape for the caps and gallon baggies while I was there. Everything arrived safely. No questions were asked.

8. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Although those bottle bags are reusable and look pretty useful, I believe you got had. I came home with 16 bottles of beer [bombers & 12 oz.] from San Diego in 2 suitcases last year, most of which were wrapped in nothing but dirty clothing. A few of the more precious bottles were also in bubble wrap that I picked up for nothing.

9. commanchetruck

commanchetruck Initiate (105) May 22, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

I brought all this back from Belgium, no issues:

[​IMG]

fire34fighter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.