Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Chicago Beer Lovers: Next Event Date

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by jegross2, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ravot

ravot Mar 20, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

oh man what a bunch of nerds. when is the next one?

2. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

done. http://billybrew.com/beer-ice-cream i also split and scraped a vanilla bean into it after it cooled to room temp and pulled the pod out before spinning it in the ice cream machine. i need to tweak the recipe to give it a more ice cream texture though; it melts way too quickly because the extra alcohol in it lowers the freezing point, and the original recipe was probably designed around a beer that wasn't more than like 6% abv. would go extremely well in a milkshake as-is though :)

3. cfaulman

cfaulman May 1, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

sorry i have been reading this thread and thought I would input for making high abv beer ice cream. If you use some gelatin in the recipe, the alcohol will stabilize and the freezing point will be much closer to non-beer ice cream. :)

tinypyramids likes this.
  4. tinypyramids

good idea; treat it a bit like a panna cotta! will have to remember that for next time.

5. incubuscience

incubuscience Jul 26, 2012 Illinois

Awesome. Thanks my friend!!

tinypyramids likes this.
  6. ravot

Beer Trader

7. mdomask

mdomask May 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Heat the beer to boil off the alcohol first :)

tinypyramids likes this.
  8. incubuscience

That kinda defeats the purpose, no?

9. tinypyramids

Grohnke, Ferocious and ravot like this.
  10. burica2020

burica2020 Nov 17, 2009 Illinois

word to the wise - Monster Recover is not a prescription for recovering from a beer tasting, but it is a prescription for crapping your pants and doing lamaze style breathing and fighting back throwing up.

11. jdhende

jdhende Sep 27, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Really fun time. As usual met and talked with tons of great people. Like everyone else has already said I hope playa just got home safe.

Also peaquods afterwards was a fantastic life decision.

Ferocious likes this.
  12. ravot

Beer Trader

they came out really good actually, had em with the family on a sunday morning when everyone slept over after a night of partying. we had some bcbs leftover so it was a nice awakening drinking some bcbs and eating some bcbs pancakes. i'd probably go a little heavier on the bcbs portion though. just a wee bit.

was dekalb really that bad?

13. mdomask

mdomask May 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Depends. Do you just want BCBS flavor, or do you need the alcohol too? Generally, I'm a bigger fan of ice cream texture with the BCBS flavor.

14. incubuscience

Fair point.

15. Chi81

Chi81 Dec 22, 2010 Illinois

I wonder if Pork Shoppe and several slices of Pizza Hut pizza are why I am feeling pretty good today. I successfully broke the ounces barrier and crossed into pounds territory with the amount of brisket and pork I consumed

Ferocious likes this.
  16. Summer78

Summer78 Jan 18, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

i sure could have used some pequods last night...i think i still would have thrown up though.

17. quinnsi

quinnsi Nov 22, 2008 Illinois

It was a great time last night. Thanks to everyone.

Chrixsus and Dontcounttoday like this.
  18. quinnsi

Quick note: Whoever accidentally took the unopened FW XVI home with them at the end of the night, I would appreciate it if it was donated back to the store. Thanks!

19. JPortillo

JPortillo Mar 12, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Big mistake not eating dinner last night oh well...nice to hang out with fellow BA's again. Thanks again to quinnsi for hosting a great night.

Chrixsus likes this.
  20. Grohnke

Grohnke Sep 15, 2009 Illinois

Thanks Chris. Superb night. Saison de fermier is also in contention for best beer of the night, but that's along with another 10 contenders. Someone bring Chris his beer back.

Dontcounttoday likes this.
  21. eclosson22

eclosson22 Jan 15, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Any chance to get on the list for the next one of these?

22. Chi81

Chi81 Dec 22, 2010 Illinois

I second that

23. iadler

iadler Aug 12, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Always great to meet some BAs in person. Very Sour Blackberry and Atrial Rubicite stole the show for me. I'm always floored by the generosity at these events.

Jeff- thanks for convincing me to go Peaquods after, though I burned the shit out of my mouth.

24. kodt

kodt Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

Is playaplaya alive?

burica2020 likes this.
  25. da_bulls

da_bulls Jun 7, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Reading the last two pages paints a rowdy, sweaty, neck beard-y, scene in my mind. ;)

26. burica2020

burica2020 Nov 17, 2009 Illinois

maybe its chicagos bike culture or overall vain-ness, but surprisingly the majority of the attendees were of an average build (not average american, lets say average european) with probably a 22 BMI. Also lots of clean shaved faces, but the sweat, gas, & mild rowdiness is pretty spot on.

Chrixsus, jb3304 and tinypyramids like this.
  27. quinnsi

I wasn't mine, and it's been returned! Thanks guys!

28. cmoody91

cmoody91 Mar 21, 2010 Illinois

Glad someone brought Atrial. Was going to bring a bunch of Jester King stuff including the new fruit sours but had to cancel last minute. Glad to hear everyone had a good time and I certainly hope to make the next one!

29. zieglemt

zieglemt Apr 25, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Great time. Thanks again for hosting, Chris.

Think I'm finally fully recovered.

Chrixsus likes this.
  30. zrbeer1579

zrbeer1579 Dec 3, 2012 Illinois

If there's another event, I would be very interested in going. Can't believe I just found out about this now.

31. Ferocious

Ferocious Nov 17, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Great to meet so many of you yesterday. It was an outstanding event and Chris was a great host. I had a black grocery bag that had a Cabra Perdida from Greenbush, and a Strawberry Rhubarb disappear on me last night. It was on the floor near the liquor. If you accidentally left with the bag, please PM me.

32. iadler

iadler Aug 12, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Hopefully you'll get your bag back, but if you don't, shoot me a message and I'll crack open a Strawberry Rhubarb with you.

33. incubuscience

That blows.
    If I had either I'd split em with you as well. But I don't.
    Someone please return this man's beer. You'll be much less of an a-hole if you do.

34. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Sep 19, 2012 Illinois

I really appreciate anybody who offered me a couch to sleep on.. I also appreciate any concern expressed from you guys. To be clear...I do not remember anybody offering me anyway to not drive home or telling me I've had too much to drink. I have no doubt people offered help to me, I just blacked out and have no recollection of it.
    I do not remember spilling any beer. The last thing I remember is looking at my phone at 10:48.

I did not get home safely. Albeit, no DUI, did not hurt anybody(besides myself)..

If anybody has anyone recollection of what I did, specifically the last hour, I would be soooo appreciative. Please BM me though and keep this out of the public forum, for the sake of everyone, I know this is not what this thread is for.

I have not the faintest memory of leaving.
    To be clear though I do not remember ever getting/being too drunk. The last memory I have, at 10:50, I was still in pretty good shape.

35. PlayaPlaya

Also, my 750 of Drie Fontei oude gueze??? lol It was for the beer share, so I obviously brought it with the intention of not bringing any home... But, the last time I remember the bottle had not been opened.

If you grabbed it and brought it home. Good for you for not being shy.
    I'm just curious.

I don't want it back, just would like to cure my curiosity as to what happened to it.

36. kodt

kodt Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

I seem to remember you grabbing the 750 of 3F Oude Gueze and a 12oz of Aracdia Shipwreck Porter and putting them into your bag. Did you leave it somewhere? It was like a black drawstring bag or something.

37. PlayaPlaya

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, I did have a black drawstring bag and did bring the shipwreck as well. If I put them in the bag, then they're most likely still in my car; which I will not have access to until at least the 18th....But, that answers at least one question.

38. Born_A_Jee

Born_A_Jee Aug 1, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I didn't attend but I do hope whatever happened to you after you left the event, serious or not, you can bounce back from quickly and in decent shape.

39. incubuscience

I'm glad you had a good time, but take it as a lesson, bud. It's great to enjoy all those brews, but you gotta do it without getting suuuuper drunk. I also did that at my first bottle share. Not tring I sound like a scolding dad. But I've learned this rule, and it's a good one to love by: it's okay to be a drunk guy at a party. It's not okay to be THE dunk guy at a party.

Hope you've recovered from the other day.

toolebox81 and tinypyramids like this.
  40. jegross2

jegross2 Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Thank you Chris for hosting a great event and putting up with a bunch of us beer nerds all night. Many great beers and generous people as always! Hopefully you will permit us to repeat this event again down the road. Had a fantastic time. My favorites were VSB, BAA, Atrial, Saison du fermier and the de grade lee noir. Major thanks to whomever brought the BA kona, a beer I've long wanted to try but given up hope on ever ticking

Chrixsus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe