Chicago Black Friday Recommendations

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by AltonGriese, Nov 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AltonGriese

AltonGriese Initiate (62) Aug 14, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Flying into the city on Thanksgiving day at about two. Looking for recommendations for Black Friday. Someplace laid back to enjoy a pour or two of BCBS. Not looking for bottles to take back but some pours of the variants would be cool.

I've looked through threads but not a ton of info on the Goose Island tap rooms. Any thoughts or recommendations would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. CityofWind_brew

CityofWind_brew Devotee (416) Jan 15, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Not a single spot on the city will be “laid back” on Black Friday

3. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (6,111) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

If you're looking for a laid back spot on Black Friday, I'd suggest going to Beer Temple.

You probably won't get any Bourbon County, but you can get almost all the Bourbon County stuff in Florida.

You CAN get unique Chicago beers, plus world-class stuff from around the globe, and the laid back vibe you desire.

This is probably not the answer you were looking for, but if you require Bourbon County on Black Friday in Chicago in a laid back environment, you are out of luck, my friend.

4. BrandonK

BrandonK Initiate (47) Jul 15, 2012 Indiana
    Trader

I’d imagine acquiring a ticket to the GI Fulton event would be fairly laid back. I think it’s a bit pricey, but convenience costs in Chicago...

ECOBOOSTINST and jaysker95 like this.
  5. ravens_wood

ravens_wood Initiate (52) Dec 21, 2017 Illinois

Sheffield's should be fine. You won't get all the variants but they should have a good selection left from their Black(out) Wednesday event

6. AltonGriese

AltonGriese Initiate (62) Aug 14, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Thanks for the info and suggestions. Perhaps I was hopeful regarding the laid back atmosphere.

7. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,350) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

It tends to be more laid back towards the end of the the day when all the BCBS chasers are drunk and laid out....

8. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Devotee (456) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I might recommend a Whole Foods type of situation. At least a couple of years ago you would be able to find variants on draft and it’s relatively calm.

Junior likes this.
  9. kodt

kodt Defender (662) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Try to get a ticket to one of the tasting sessions at Goose Island Clybourn. You will get a pour of all 8 variants as well as some small food pairings, a bottle to take home, and a glass. Tickets go on sale Monday, check their Facebook page for event link.

Thrillhouse82 and ChicagoJ like this.
  10. Vav

Vav Initiate (192) Jul 27, 2008 Illinois

Go buy lambics instead.

:wink:

11. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

Can you get the pricing down? I'm in for lambucks...

Bbear likes this.
  12. flat_lander

flat_lander Savant (971) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Financial conflicts of interest.

ECOBOOSTINST and Vav like this.
  13. Bobbi862

Bobbi862 Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2019 Illinois

"Hop Leaf" in Andersonville (Clark and Foster, north side) has a tremendous beer catalog. Hundreds available. Good food too. Don't know where you're staying, but, downtown Chicago will be a madhouse!

ECOBOOSTINST and GuyFawkes like this.
  14. 4lokogod

4lokogod Initiate (43) Dec 8, 2015 Illinois

Agreed on Sheffields... They were even open Thanksgiving evening last year and had most variants left.

ECOBOOSTINST and 4ruedebuci like this.
  15. CityofWind_brew

CityofWind_brew Devotee (416) Jan 15, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

are they even doing that event this year? Not listed in the Events portion of their site

16. RexKramer

RexKramer Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2011 Illinois

I'd also check on Timothy O'Tooles. They have done a Bourbon County event the last couple of years on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I have to imagine some of it sticks around for a day or two.

Redrover likes this.
  17. Sparty93

Sparty93 Initiate (49) Aug 29, 2013 Michigan

Anyone have any recommendations for places that will be open on Thanksgiving evening itself?

18. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Disciple (338) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Hop Leaf

19. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

The Porcelain Bowl :wink:

GuyFawkes likes this.
  20. croush

croush Champion (805) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

But WF doesn't get their BCBS until the week after Black Friday, at least that's how it has been for the past 4 or so years.

21. Nbrock24

Trader

That’s true for bottles but not draft, right?

ChiPez66 likes this.
  22. pudgym29

pudgym29 Initiate (161) Mar 14, 2009 Illinois

The Big Onion Tavern Group has multiple venues in Chicago. Its Fastpour pubs are pretty much assured to have the regular Bourbon County, and a solid number of the variants on tap. :beer:
    As for how non-crushed will they be, that I can't honestly reply. :neutral_face:

23. ChiPez66

ChiPez66 Initiate (156) May 21, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

WF had bottles and draft on Black Friday last year, IIRC.

24. ravens_wood

ravens_wood Initiate (52) Dec 21, 2017 Illinois

I dunno. I just assume so since I’ve been going every Wednesday for the past 5-7 years. It’d really suck it’s no more.

CityofWind_brew likes this.
  25. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,834) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

CityofWind_brew likes this.
  26. tiffman

tiffman Initiate (66) Dec 3, 2014 Illinois

croush and Jaycase like this.
  27. croush

Trader

As @tiffman pointed out, it was a week later last year for Whole Foods, and that was draft and bottles. It's been that way since at least 2015 (my first year "hunting"). And now they change it the year I'm going to be on a plane coming back from vacation the morning of Black Friday. :angry:

Nbrock24 likes this.
  28. ChiPez66

ChiPez66 Initiate (156) May 21, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

I guess I'm wrong. I could swear WF Willowbrook had bottles and/or had a tapping on Black Friday, though. I went there and was told they were sold out and the tappings were at noon or something... I could be mistaken, though. *shrug* The link above from tiffman seems to indicate that they never had any bottles. Who knows. Lol.

29. flat_lander

Society Trader

I hear Hawaii is rough this time of year.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  30. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,825) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Hawaiians turn to Kona during times like these, with a hot bowl of Zippy's

31. croush

Trader

Hey...don't let the details get in the way of me wanting beer!

32. 4lokogod

4lokogod Initiate (43) Dec 8, 2015 Illinois

Sheffields was open Thanksgiving evening last year, was able to get several variants on tap.

33. flat_lander

Society Trader

Definitely a Crusader! Seriously though, if I were flying back on Black Friday and my go to plan fell apart, I'd be super bummed.

34. Vav

I don't control retail pricing, but there's gotta be a way to get like Beer Temple or whoever to do a loyalty program where you earn Lambucks, because that has to be a thing

GuyFawkes likes this.
  35. Nbrock24

Trader

Yes I thought I had Coffee 16 on Black Friday but it was 12/3/16. So perhaps one of the Binny’s tasting rooms?

36. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,825) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Beer Temple has a loyalty program.

Thanks for bringing great lambic beers to Chicago!

GuyFawkes and Vav like this.
  37. Vav

yeah but do they call it Lambucks?

38. dpittnet

dpittnet Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2015 Illinois

If anyone has any good tips for hunting bottles or getting pours in the NW burbs please let me know.

39. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

I think this is the first year Illinois implemented the need to have seasonal beer hunting permits in order to shore up the massive state defecit. Stout season runs from Nov-Dec. if you get caught without a valid permit there will be hefty fines. If you snag anything under 12oz or styles not covered by the permit you may also be in violation. You'd better check your local laws first. Best of luck!

40. JoeSpartan22

JoeSpartan22 Initiate (61) Apr 23, 2017 Illinois

Please delete this post before Governor Jelly Belly sees this and starts getting ideas. :astonished::flushed::grimacing:

Redrover and ChicagoJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.