1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Chicago breweries with lower ABV beers?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Jamie32114, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Jamie32114

Jamie32114 Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2019

Hi! My husband and I are going to Chicago this weekend and trying to find some of the best breweries to try out. It would also be nice if they are in a close range (I found that Begyl, Dovetail, Urban Renewal, etc are close) - but we will drive or uber further out if something really stands out to us. We typically like coffee porters and stouts, but also IPA, wheat beers, and will try anything...preferably nothing too high ABV (i think over 8 is too high =)) What are some of your favorites or recommendations?
    Thanks!

2. nuplastikk

nuplastikk Initiate (74) Aug 28, 2008 Wisconsin

Off Color should have some nice lower ABV stuff.
    Dryhop and Corridor are my go to places...easy quick uber between the two.

3. croush

croush Crusader (705) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

First, I’ve never even heard of Urban Renewal.

Second, I just checked a little spot called Half Acre and they have 11 beers at 8% or lower at their Lincoln location. They’re better than any of the breweries you mentioned.

There’s also this place called Revolution that has 10 beers at 8% or lower at their taproom. I’d also suggest them.

You should just check out this thread. https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/2019-visiting-chicagoland-resource-thread.601977/

4. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Zealot (581) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

We typically like stouts, but want beer under 8%? I can't even help with this one....

5. HouseofWortship

Trader

But do their styles match up with the OP's preferences? They are mostly wilds and farmhouse stuff.

6. DLDlulz

DLDlulz Initiate (163) Feb 15, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

7. jmk

jmk Initiate (79) May 8, 2008 Illinois

Here we go again. Scroll through this list of more than 500 American Stouts, the vast majority of which are sub 8%.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/styles/158/?sort=revsD&start=0
    Why can''t you comprehend this concept?

FBarber likes this.
  8. HouseofWortship

Trader

It would be easier to comprehend if you could show me a few that are on in the city they are visiting....

FBarber likes this.
  9. OleWorm

OleWorm Initiate (30) May 20, 2008 Illinois

Strange that there's this tendency to think stouts = strong beers. Guinness is only 4%. Even American stouts, with more bravado, top out around 7% (I think Sierra Nevada's is ~ 6%).

If you want a specific, local example, Begyle's Neighborly Stout is on at their taproom, and it's 6%. So is their 5% ABV milk stout.

10. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,693) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

That is a fantastic beer - obviously a "serf stout" is not a real style, but its akin to a mild and its lovely.

OP: Haymarket has a nice American Stout that is low ABV - Defender. They have a good lineup of beers and good food.

I'd also recommend Spiteful - they have some great low ABV beers that would likely tickle your fancy.

Jsimansk and Quilentro like this.
  11. FBarber

Society Trader

But brahhh, if its not 14% and doesn't have at least coconut, vanilla, and a candy bar in it, is it even really a *stout*?!? :wink:

12. jmk

jmk Initiate (79) May 8, 2008 Illinois

A quick taproom search shows Haymarket, Spiteful, Rev, Off Color, and Goose Clybourn all have 2 sub 8 stouts/porters on currently. I'm sure there are more.

BuffaloBill12 and FBarber like this.
  13. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (239) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Oh my god why don’t people serve stouts INSIDE of coconuts?!

14. FBarber

Society Trader

:astonished: Not gonna lie, this should probably be a thing ...

15. HouseofWortship

Trader

You have to consider most IPAs put out by Pipeworks/HA/Etc are over 7% these days so these stouts aren't so "stout" in comparison.

16. HouseofWortship

Trader

Why don't they drill out a little hole and AGE the beer in it first!!! Then you can drink it out of the coconut when it is done....

17. Quilentro

Trader

[Later, in the line to get in to dark lord, the security guard looks into your bag]

What are these?

- Homebrew Stout aged in Coconuts, sir.

Are these... legal?

- Only if the adjunct wasn’t peyote, sir.

Ok, cool. Wait, was the adjunct peyote?

- Sir, you can trust a gentleman with a sharp mustache and a lovely bunch of coconuts.

That checks out. Would you say each coconut is roughly... 12 oz?

- Sir, these are Vietnamese coconuts. They average 250 mL.

I... I don’t get paid enough for this. Just give me one and get out of here.

- Of course sir. One more thing, if I may - here is a wholly unrelated pamphlet that I’d like you to have.

[pamphlet title reads: “So, you just dropped peyote. Now what?” A Practical Guide]

18. HouseofWortship

Trader

I think you answered your own question....

19. joeyknuckles

joeyknuckles Initiate (94) Apr 27, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Alarmist. Go there

dukeandduke likes this.
  20. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Disciple (355) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society

If you guys are gonna recommend Haymarket, I'm gonna plug On Tour if they're pouring their Grind coffee stout. 6.5% and really rich, roasty coffee flavor. Just a nicely balanced beer. They also have a number of sub-7% options.

Great Central is also nearby. They contract brew some IPAs and wheats for Begyle, Maplewood, and a few others, in addition to having some of their own German styles.

21. nickMB

nickMB Aspirant (280) Nov 17, 2009 Illinois
    Industry

Shameless plug - the majority of the beers on tap at middle brow currently are low abv. Session ipa, 5% brut, 5% Brett bier, 4% Berliner and a 4% lite lager. Hopewell ain’t to far either who usually has some good lower abv options too.

22. croush

Trader

I’m now starting to wonder which breweries DON’T have a bunch of sub-8% options.

BuffaloBill12, jmk and FBarber like this.
  23. HouseofWortship

Trader

I think I'm just warped at all the NEIPAs that are 7.5% or above...

jmk and FBarber like this.
  24. FBarber

Society Trader

Not only the NE style IPAs, but all the pastry stouts seem to be 8% and up as well.

HouseofWortship likes this.
  25. croush

Trader

Yeah, the most popular styles now are above those ranges. But, theses breweries make plenty of other beer that aren’t those and can be enjoyed. We don’t have to live in separate worlds...yet.

BuffaloBill12 and FBarber like this.
  26. Shriner

Shriner Initiate (45) Mar 29, 2017 Illinois

The ONLY Chicagloand brewery that I am aware of that routinely does not have multiple low abv beers would be Mikerphone. As others have pointed out, almost all breweries have a combination of a lager, pilsner, stout, etc. that is under 8%.

dukeandduke and FBarber like this.
  27. croush

Trader

Ok, blame Mikerphone for us even needing to have this conversation. I should’ve known.

28. Shriner

Shriner Initiate (45) Mar 29, 2017 Illinois

Ha! Even the pilsner at Mikerphone was elevated abv (6.5%), and it was mighty tasty I must say.

FBarber likes this.
  29. Quilentro

Trader

fake news. They have a huge line of berliners!

I think? I don’t know, they’re so 2018.