1. croush

croush Crusader (737) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

It looks like we need a new annual thread for this as well. I saw BA Ten Fidy hitting a bunch of stores today. I’ve managed to show some restraint, despite really enjoying that beer. Have stores received more of it than last year?

2. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Defender (666) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Not sure, but I would definitely say the restraint is probably the bigger key this stout season. I too passed up BA Ten Fidy when I saw it, not to mention all the other stouts I've never had the luck of seeing on a shelf in Chicago prior to this season- Abraxas, CBS, etc.

ECOBOOSTINST, FBarber and SeanBond like this.
  3. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,041) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I've personally spent more this year on stouts than I usually do, thanks to Rev finding the special formula to empty my wallet. So stuff like BA Ten Fidy falls into the "I already maxed my donations at the sperm bank this week so I can't afford this beer" category for me.

4. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Meyvn (1,134) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Thanks for the idea! Now I can afford to go to Rev in 2 weeks!

5. flat_lander

flat_lander Zealot (557) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I passed on BA Ten Fidy for a few weeks down here. Then, I think it was last week, made a pass through Binny's after not going for a while and it was still there. I bought it and have mixed feelings. It's great and all, but I don't need the beer and that 19+ oz can just sits because I need someone to drink it with.

EDIT - I did pass on one of those Collective Arts stout collabs. So I've got that going for me.

FBarber and croush like this.
  6. HouseofWortship

Trader

Oh, that's what you meant by double fisting stouts...

7. croush

Trader

Wait, I'm not supposed to be drinking those by myself? It's just like one of those 19 ounce cans of All Day IPA...right?

8. csmakio

csmakio Initiate (129) Nov 26, 2016 Illinois

I saw the OV Bar and Grill to-go store had a ton of big name stouts yesterday. However the price point on them led me to walk out with nothing.

2018 Bourbon County Midnight Orange
    2018 Bourbon County Brambleberry
    2017 BA Surly Darkness $35
    2018 Benthic $40

just to name a few...they also had BC Wheatwine and Coffee Barley

9. flat_lander

Society Trader

Video please!

croush likes this.
  10. SeanBond

Trader

2017 BA Darkness doesn't seem bad at $35 (since it's what, $25 or 30 normally anyway?), although I'd still pass.

jaysker95 and 4DAloveofSTOUT like this.
  11. croush

Trader

A true horror flick, if video were to exist.

12. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (280) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

He’s all talk. He left me and @kdawgmoney stranded with a Black Tuesday to crush between us. We did it, and then we opened a celebration beer.

Also, I’m definitely going to drink less this year.

IlCraftWjgman, croush and flat_lander like this.
  13. flat_lander

Society Trader

Mocha Wednesday?!

IlCraftWjgman and croush like this.
  14. Alex_Awesome_H

Alex_Awesome_H Initiate (49) Jan 2, 2016 Illinois

Finally, BA tenfidy! Last year's was a little too boozey for my tastes, but $12 for a ba Stout ain't bad. I like it well enough to at least grab a can!

Also had Apollo and all it's variants (chocolate,coffee, and vanlilla). Regular was a let down, even as a budget ba Stout ($9.99 for a 12floz 4 pack). Coffee was the best but lacked any real barrel flavor with vanilla being my least favorite before regular. It wasn't aweful, but I wish the vanilla was a little more present to sweeten the Brew.

Kinda sad considering how much I liked Drago. I was also at Binnys grand and they have a lot of vintages, including:

2017-18 BB Baptist & Orin, 16-17 BCBW, 17 Hellderado, and plenty of 18 BCS. I know not all of these are stouts but worth mentioning considering buying verts for some pretty solid beer is available.

Last: is candy County still pouring at Goose Clybourn?

FBarber likes this.
  15. Quilentro

Trader

Someone checked Candy county in last night, so probably!

As a note, it was a rare stout that I preferred cold.

FBarber and IlCraftWjgman like this.
  16. miniditka77

miniditka77 Initiate (189) May 21, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, they have had them for a couple of weeks at those same prices. I guess $35 for a BA Darkness isn't that bad, but it's still highway robbery to charge that at retail.

migue81 likes this.
  17. Quilentro

Trader

Is a brown ale a stout?

On Tour is celebrating their second anniversary this weekend. They have their brown ale pouring along with coffee, cherry, and spiced variants.

They also have their GABF gold 2017 low boy Maibock on.

Crowler deals on Sunday. Enjoy!

18. HouseofWortship

Trader

After being blown away by Dovetail's Maibock earlier this year you caught my attention with GABF gold and Maibock....Is this one any good?

19. Quilentro

Trader

Yeah, actually. I haven’t had a beer in a couple days and just went with a taster, and was pleasantly surprised by it. Lots of flavor, but still very clean - no overwhelming malt sweetness. Nursed 5 oz over a while, and each sip was really nice. Great structure and balance.

I do have a cold, though, so - grain of salt.

20. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (386) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Hmm. Do they have growler/Crowley’s of it?

21. Quilentro

Trader

Apologies - I didn’t check. It was under the “limited for anniversary” page of the menu, so my guess is no. I think they have a keg of it.

22. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (386) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

All good. I’m home now, and I have a dope parking spot— so I’m not leaving until tomorrow.

23. JJH1018

JJH1018 Devotee (439) Sep 13, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Drinking an Energy City S'mores stout. It's good, but I just don't think I'm a pastry stout guy. These are so freakin sweet.

BuffaloBill12 and prior2two like this.
  24. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Disciple (367) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society

I haven't tried Dovetail's yet, but Low Boy is one of the best I've had recently and probably my favorite On Tour beer. Not surprising that it took gold at GABF. Hoping it's still on today and if I'm really lucky it'll be available for today's $5 crowler sale.

HouseofWortship and Quilentro like this.
  25. Quilentro

Trader

Let us know what you find!

I also tried Grind, their coffee stout. Super roasty!

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  26. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Disciple (367) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society

On tap, just as good as ever, no crowlers. That Grind is pretty good. Could be a little thicker, but great coffee flavor!

BuffaloBill12 and Quilentro like this.
  27. Quilentro

Trader

28. Jplachy

Jplachy Disciple (353) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Defender is my favorite hoppy stout.

IlCraftWjgman and SeanBond like this.
  29. SeanBond

Trader

I'm liking your post but I'd also like you to know that I don't appreciate you blowing up my spot. :stuck_out_tongue:

Defender is slightly more bitter than I like, but I'm happy it's getting canned. Their BA stouts are some of my favorites in the city, and I'll be there for lunch on Friday. I'm hoping the 37 month lasts until then, but I'll live either way. Their Indignant flights were really fun.

FBarber and Quilentro like this.
  30. HouseofWortship

Trader

I cannot in good conscious agree with a 7% abv beer being called a stout when the basic IPA these days is 7%+.

31. SeanBond

Trader

I hadn't read the article. Holy crap, Defender is only 7%? You have a point, we really have inflated our abvs...

migue81 and FBarber like this.
  32. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,878) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

So its a porter?

IlCraftWjgman and flat_lander like this.
  33. jmk

jmk Initiate (87) May 8, 2008 Illinois

7% is actually on the high end for a traditional stout (range is 4-7), English or American. Remember it's a stout, not an Imperial or Russian. IPAs are also traditionally 4-7 so this is not really unusual.

34. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,226) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

The indignant imperial stout is one of the best stouts I ever had, at a nice price $8.90 w tax for 10 oz.

Today’s pour was aged for 12 months. No debate w the 11 % abv, subtle to start but comes with a vengeance as the beer warms. Jeremy spoke in class today.

Looking forward to other pours leading up to the Saturday pick up of Clare. Plenty of Defender on tap and to go $12.25 w tax for six pack.

SeanBond and Quilentro like this.
  35. FBarber

Society Trader

4% to 7% is certainly right on for the English style stout. American stout is more 6%-9% so this would be right there. I think @HouseofWortship point was just that its become unusual to see just a basic 7% stout ... everything is 9%, 10%, 14% ...

SeanBond likes this.
  36. Mager

Mager Initiate (21) Jul 16, 2014 Illinois

37. jmk

jmk Initiate (87) May 8, 2008 Illinois

It's really not unusual at all. I still think you are thinking about imperial stouts. Look here:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/styles/158/
    Out of the top 100 American Stouts on this list, only 18 are more than 7%. I think they are just not as popular with this crowd, so maybe you are not familiar with them.

Chuckdiesel24 likes this.
  38. FBarber

Society Trader

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm trying to say .... but at the same time I think we're saying the same thing. A basic 7% "traditional" American stout with no additives isn't very common on shelves today. Generally speaking, the majority of stouts out on the shelves are higher ABV (so yes, not an America stout). There just seems to be a bigger market for the so called pastry stouts with high ABV these days ...

dukeandduke, SeanBond and jmk like this.
  39. HouseofWortship

Trader

I think it is more in comparison to IPA abv escalating. Hop Butcher, PWs, HA, Etc are all putting out IPAs at 7%/7.5%/8% so as those continue to inch higher, seeing a stout with less abv is just plain weird to the point that they almost should rethink the definition. A stout used to be "stout" from the abv. Not at 7% it isn't.

SeanBond and FBarber like this.
  40. SeanBond

Trader

^^^^
    It's honestly gotten to the point where I have trouble taking lower abv stouts seriously, because I'm not even getting as much sugar from the alcohol as I do from most of the IPAs I drink (and yes, I generally prefer sweet stouts).