Chicago Stout Releases (2020)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by REVZEB, Jan 1, 2020.

1. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (6,197) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Let’s get my favorite thread going for 2020!

dukeandduke and flat_lander like this.
  2. VinHalen54

VinHalen54 Initiate (128) Jun 4, 2014 Illinois

It's a new year, but the 2020 beer budget is pretty blown up already due to all the great ones that landed in the last two months of 2019. So it's time to really be smart about beer buying!
    I appreciate the 12oz format (WAY too many Revolution cans are in my house LOL) and love mixed 4pks, but don't think I'll pull the trigger on the Temperance Might Meets Right mixed 4pk of 12oz cans at $34.99. (making it's way to all Binny's now) Anyone have these?
    • Heaven Hill is the stalwart, the pure experience to which the others are compared: rich dark malts collide with vanilla, oak, and a hint of sweet bourbon. 12.3% ABV.

• ¡La Sorpresa! is blended with a myriad of ingredients: roasted cacao, Ceylon cinnamon, Madagascar vanilla beans, and three types of dried chiles - Ancho, New Mexico and Árbol - to give this variant a satisfying kick of heat. 12.3% ABV.

• Hot Cocoa (NEW FOR 2019) elevates the chocolate flavors and tops them off with hints of marshmallows melting in your mug. 12.3% ABV.

• Coconut Almond (NEW FOR 2019) melds the dark chocolate notes of Might Meets Right with toasted coconut and almond for a perfectly joyous variant, reminiscent of impulse candy bar purchases. 12.3% ABV.

HouseofWortship and FBarber like this.
  3. diamdiam

diamdiam Initiate (48) Jan 18, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I had the 3 variants over weekend with a friend. All were great flavor wise and balanced, but mouth feel was thin. We both liked the coconut almond the most. Hot cocoa got better as it warmed up. I usually don't like chiles in my beer but I thought this one was great. It had smoky chili flavor but not the spiciness.

jbecke2, PhilBallins and VinHalen54 like this.
  4. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (4,398) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

I bought the Heaven Hill, Hot Cocoa & Coconut Almond (I'm not much of a cinnamon fan & didn't feel the need to revisit La Sorpresa).

I had the Hot Cocoa, and while I felt like they nailed the cocoa powder aspect (almost TOO on the nose, in my opinion), I must agree with @diamdiam that it was way too thin. Like, thinner than a porter.

VinHalen54 and FBarber like this.
  5. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Zealot (540) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

So about as thin as a CW BA beer distrod in 4 packs? Or thinner? We talking consummating a relationship in a boat thin (ie fucking close to water)?

6. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

Thinner!!

[​IMG]81598725

Rihup, Nbrock24, PhilBallins and 6 others like this.
  7. jbecke2

jbecke2 Initiate (154) Oct 22, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone know if there’s any Surly 13 still hanging around Chicago? TIA!

8. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,799) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

So I successfully located the Might Meets Right 4-pack today and grabbed one. However I was rather surprised to see that the ¡La Sorpresa! was just 2018 cans and not a new batch for 2019. Did anyone else notice this? I had just assumed it would be a new batch of the same variant (which was excellent last year), but it seems they just slapped some old 2018 cans in the pack. The Heaven Hill barrel aged version is a new 2019 batch.

Edit:
    I just found the photo from the Temperance event and it definitely shows a 2019 ¡La Sorpresa! can:
    [​IMG]
    However all of the 4-packs at the Binnys in Joliet had the 2018 cans ...

9. rchenoweth23

rchenoweth23 Initiate (85) Oct 13, 2010 Illinois

I just double checked the mixed 4 pack I picked up from LP Whole Foods and found the same thing! La Sorpresa is 2018.

10. capnmike

capnmike Initiate (188) Dec 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

There apparently was a labeling error- the cans at Beer on Central in Evanston show 2018 on the face but have a manually-applied “repair sticker” vertical along the seam, roughly, with the 2019 info. See if your cans have that.

11. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Aspirant (298) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

Edit: capnmike beat me to it. Also, it doesn’t appear that my image is displaying (on mobile at least).

I ended up buying a 4 pack last week. Didn’t even notice the dates, but my Sorpresa is 2018 as well. But then I noticed the stamp on the side...

[​IMG]

FBarber and capnmike like this.
  12. vicodin_tears1

vicodin_tears1 Initiate (53) Jun 22, 2019 Indiana
    Trader

Not sure if this helps but right after Christmas, they still had it at St Charles Binny’s.

13. FBarber

Society Trader

Thank you! Yea, Temperance got right back to me after I emailed them and said it should have a sticker on the side of the can. In my defense neither the Binnys employees nor the beer distro rep at Binnys knew about the sticker on the side of the can either ...
    [​IMG]

14. rchenoweth23

rchenoweth23 Initiate (85) Oct 13, 2010 Illinois

Yep, my can has that too. Thanks!

FBarber likes this.
  15. REVZEB

Society

Mentioned purchasing in the 2019 version of this thread, now I can report the neckbeard nectar beers this year are great once again! Cheers!

16. flat_lander

flat_lander Defender (621) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I finally got around to opening a 2017 Neckbeard (Blanton's barrel aged) on NYE with friends. It is drinking fantastic and stood up against some pretty big beers that we had already been into.

17. ShawnoftheD3ad

ShawnoftheD3ad Initiate (198) Mar 20, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Hopefully it wasn’t as sweet as Neckbeard Life. I had to prick my finger and puncture my stomach after drinking that one.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  18. REVZEB

Society

Oh boy, haven’t had that one yet. Save for dessert huh?

19. chicagoTC

chicagoTC Initiate (140) May 23, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone have the latest batch of Clare's? Curious how it's tasting this year.

dukeandduke likes this.
  20. ChangSing

ChangSing Initiate (153) May 5, 2013 Illinois

I'm pretty biased since it's one of my favorite beers, but I think it tastes just as great as any other year. They brought in 5 cases of last years release as well.

dukeandduke, chicagoTC and FBarber like this.
  21. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (751) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

What the hell happened to Greenbush? 9 years ago they were the flavor of the day and the most hyped thing in Chicago for a brief period. Now I never hear about them. I picked up a Delusion, which used to be a phenomenal beer, but now is just a thin, overcarbed, flavorless mess.

22. Shriner

Shriner Initiate (63) Mar 29, 2017 Illinois

It is the classic perspective v. reality argument. Back then, there were nowhere near as many local boutique breweries competing for shelf space. There was no Noon Whistle, Mikerphone, More, Pollyanna, etc. Craft breweries were Bells, Goose, Greenbush, Founders, Rev, etc.

Now, with so many Illinois breweries to choose from, you start to forget the out-of-state breweries that have been around for years. To answer your question, I made two trips to MI last year and visited Greenbush (twice), Odd Side and Ghost Isle. Greenbush was an absolute madhouse...two hour wait for restaurant, annex across the street packed. Every beer we tried was excellent, Brother Benjamin is still pretty much the best Honey DIPA around (Try a taste test with Hopslam if you want some entertainment) and the atmosphere was outstanding. Same goes with Odd Side, yet you hear nothing about them on here. Their taproom is gigantic and it was near capacity when we were there.

If you can avoid the "newest, best thing" syndrome, you can really enjoy some great beer nowadays. I think someone posted something similar in the FFF thread, which is probably the best brewery example of this.

23. vicodin_tears1

vicodin_tears1 Initiate (53) Jun 22, 2019 Indiana
    Trader

I’ve been wanting to bring this up for a while but wasn’t sure how to approach the question...but the comment from @HouseofWortship made me think of it again.

I see quite a few sentiments like this “this beer isn’t what it was X amount of time ago” and I’ve always thought: is it possible the beer hasn’t really changed, but the perception, of the drinker, has? I want to preface this by saying: I am in NO way saying the beer hasnt changed...but with the extremes to which beers are made these days, I find it highly likely that the palate develops and your baseline for a beer changes. Stouts get thicker and thicker, so the minute a stout isn’t as thick as the last one, it’s automatically “TOO THIN!” Again, I’m not saying these beers haven’t changed...but relying on your memory or your palate should be questioned.
    This isn’t directed at you @HouseofWortship but it just reminded me of something that’s been nagging at me for a while now.

24. HouseofWortship

Trader

Yes and no. In some cases this works. In the case of the Delusion I had, no. It literally was a different beer. I've had this many times over the past 5 or 6 years and back in the day the closest available comp was BCBS which is much thicker, but Delusion never previously came off as thin to me or I wouldn't have continued to purchase it.

25. HouseofWortship

Trader

Is Greenbush putting out new stuff in distro in MI? The old places like Pipeworks, Rev, HA, FFF all continue to push new stuff into distro keeping the brand fresh. Greenbush just seems stale....

GuyFawkes likes this.
  26. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

I think @Shriner nailed it...this brewpub is PACKED all year long and is stupid busy in the summer. They've nearly taken over the entire street they're on at this point due to expansions.

They're printing money in Sawyer, so the Chicago market probably isn't their focus...nor is distro at all, I'd bet.

#26 GuyFawkes, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  27. REVZEB

Society

Now to throw the monkey wrench in the discussion. I had delusion for the first time this past year and thought it was great!

FBarber and dukeandduke like this.
  28. REVZEB

Society

CONFIRMED: The Neckbeard Life is the diabetic life

29. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister Initiate (38) Jan 13, 2018
    Trader

I know it's not Chicago, but I had a Da Beetus from 608 in WI. That...was the diabetic life. I also don't understand the high acclaim that beer garners in ratings like Untappd. They must've literally poured sugar into the can. I like my coffee black to begin with, and this is like a cup of coffee that had a 1lb bag of sugar dumped into it.

Off topic, but nothing is as diabetic as Da Beetus...The name fits and I don't want the disease or the beer.

30. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,081) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Can't speak to this beer in particular, but I'm wondering if the high ratings are because the name itself is either A) preparing people for the sweetness or B) specifically attracting people with high tolerance for sugar in their stouts. Sort of like how beers that claim to be NE will get demolished if they're not hazy, I wonder if setting expectations is what explains the scores.

I'm personally a fan of stouts that lean to the sweeter side, so I can see liking this more (assuming it has actual flavors as well) than the average person on this site.

31. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

Benthic 2 packs are back at Bottles & Cans.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  32. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

FBarber and eppie82 like this.
  33. jmk

jmk Initiate (87) May 8, 2008 Illinois

I don't think so. A couple weeks ago I asked at AH, and he checked the computer. Despite it being on the new arrivals page, no store had received nor sold any. Oak Brook was the only location to show two cases ordered but evidently they never got it. He had no explanation.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  34. REVZEB

Society

GuyFawkes likes this.
  35. FBarber

Society Trader

GuyFawkes likes this.
  36. DESK_SMASH

DESK_SMASH Initiate (64) Feb 25, 2015 Illinois

dont think these have been mentioned yet, lets keep this thread goin -

pb + choco stout - transient x open bottle @ open bottle this sunday - https://www.facebook.com/events/2433810686884081/

& spiteful's ba malevolance is making a return jan 31st

37. sellout49

sellout49 Initiate (88) Aug 21, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Oakbrook got it. I bought it a few weeks back from there.

jmk, FBarber and GuyFawkes like this.
  38. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

How were they? Any standouts?

39. sellout49

sellout49 Initiate (88) Aug 21, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

I haven't had them all yet. I tried the cabernat one, which I enjoyed. I didn't think it was amazing, but pretty solid.

FBarber likes this.
  40. kodt

kodt Zealot (595) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

I agree with you, I had a batch of Delusion from 2014 that was simply amazing. It had a great thick creamy character, strong bourbon burn, sweetness, chocolate notes it was all there. I bought it again the next year and it was just good BA stout. Tried it again a year or two later and same thing... it never lived up to that one batch.

I know they have used different barrels, but I believe the great one I had was aged in Koval Whiskey barrels.

I do acknowledge that taste changes over time but still I think they struck gold with one batch and haven't seemed to replicate it.

FBarber and HouseofWortship like this.