Chicago visit

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by dcgunman, Apr 18, 2017.

1. dcgunman

dcgunman Defender (655) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I will be visiting this beautiful city once again in 2 weeks. Been 5 times before, but haven't been back in over a year. All the times have been for training in the Elk Grove area. I'll be back for training once again. So i will only have 1 day (Monday) to check out the city for beer. Last time there, Mikerphone was in the process of securing a permit for a tasting room. Since it's practically across the street from training I will try and stop in there for sure.
    My question is I will be picking up cans & bottles to bring back with me. I would bring them back in my carry-on (checked in bags of course). But this time I would like to ship them via Fed Ex. I am planning to stop by The Beer Temple again for most of the cans/bottles. Is there a Staples, Office Max or any place to purchase boxes by or near the Beer Temple? Also looking for a Fed Ex in the same area or close by? If not, any recommendations for a quick beer store and boxes for purchase with Fed Ex in the area? Thank you.

2. SeanBond

SeanBond Champion (851) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

3. kodt

kodt Zealot (505) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

Some Binny's locations have wine shipper boxes. I would check which ones you will be close to and try calling them.

There is a FedEx around the corner from The Beer Temple on Western ave.

dcgunman likes this.
  4. croush

croush Zealot (541) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

In addition to Binny's for wine shippers, I would check with U-Haul locations that have storage and/or moving supplies. I'm nearly positive the location at 1200 W. Fullerton has them, but looking at their website, it appears the one at 3250 N. Kedzie probably has them as well, and that location is closer to Beer Temple. You can call them to verify if they have them.

5. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (229) Dec 24, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Mikerphone is only open Thursday - Sunday I'm pretty sure

croush likes this.
  6. dcgunman

Beer Trader

I know. But I'm hoping I will fly in that Sunday (training is Tue-Wed). So I need to check what time they close on Sundays. Monday will be my beer in Chicago day.

7. dcgunman

Beer Trader

I've been to Binney's Des Plaines before. They are walking distance from my training facility. Well 20 minute walk. Or a quick Uber ride. I will call them ahead of time and see if they have boxes for shipping. Thanks.

8. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,070) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

7pm

dcgunman likes this.
  9. dcgunman

Beer Trader

you beat me to it. Thx. All depends on what time I get in that Sunday. That is kinda early.

10. dcgunman

Beer Trader

Sorry but going to bump this....
    I found a UPS store in the area where I will be staying. Does anybody know how they are about boxing up beer cans/bottles to go? If I were to bring in a case of beer will they package it?

If all goes as plan I should have from noon on to check out a few places. Been to Kuma's in Chicago, Piece Pizza (but wouldn't mind revisiting), Revolution (but not their tasting room> closed Mon), Logan Arcade, and few others I cannot remember the names. Been to Goose Wrigley. Haven't made it to Half Acres yet. Any recs for this trip? Anything new and interesting in the Chicago craft scene since a year ago? A good tap list is always a plus. I'm a sucker for Zombie Dust. Like the Elder, always a great beer. I am thinking of Ubering to the other Kuma Corner location on this trip.

Wouldn't mind trying some local Chicago's NE style IPAs'.

11. croush

Beer Trader

I would not expect UPS to box up beer for you since it's not legal to ship alcohol. You'd need to do that on your own most likely - if you buy a styro shipper box, you'd just need to get some packaging tape. But, maybe someone knows something I don't about UPS' willingness to do that.

I'd go to Local Option if I were you, and definitely try out Half Acre. I'm a huge Kuma's Corner fan, but not sure I'd say there is a need to check out the other location.

12. dcgunman

Beer Trader

I didn't think so. But I thought they'd might box it up for to take with me. Not shipping it also. It's not a problem for me to box it up myself. Just convenience. How are the styro shippers? I've never used one. Will I be able to throw a mix of a case (cans/bottles) in a 12 styro shipper? Mostly cans. And yes to HA. I hope to make it there on this trip. Thx.

13. croush

Beer Trader

You might be able to package it up there - they might just charge you for whatever tape, bubble wrap, etc. you use.

As for the 12 bottle styro shippers and what you can fit, it all depends on the size of the can or bottle. I think you could fit two 12 ounce cans in each spot, but probably not the case for any bottles or 16 ounce cans. I tend to be a bit cautious if putting smaller bottles/cans in a slot since the slots are meant for 750 mL bottles, so I will fill up the slot with bubble wrap or newspaper.

14. dcgunman

Beer Trader

Dialing in on my trip to Chicago. I should be arriving at my hotel around 3 or 330pm Sunday the 30th. So now I have a choice of heading into Chicago to hit up Revolution Brewery/taproom or staying close to my hotel and visiting Mikerphone. Haven't been to either yet. Any suggestions? Thx.

15. DeadWax

DeadWax Initiate (129) Dec 29, 2016 Illinois

If you're in the mood for NEIPAs, pick Mikerphone on Sunday- he's cranked out 3 of his top 5 best in the last month...

GuyFawkes and dcgunman like this.
  16. dcgunman

Beer Trader

Kinda thinking the same thing. Had one of Mikerphones first batches of Special Sauce last year when I was in Chicago. Pretty tasty. But I'm seeing a lot of chatter here on Noon Whistle NE styles. Is it worth searching for? The brewery is a lot farther than Mikerphone. Can I find a place nearby Mikerphone that serves Noon Whistle IPA's? I'm staying nearby Mikerphone and Moretti's on W Algonquin & Busse Road.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  17. croush

Beer Trader

Noon Whistle is brewery only. A keg or two may make it other places, but just got straight there.

ChiCubs78, DeadWax and dcgunman like this.
  18. dcgunman

Beer Trader

Yeah it looks like a pain to get to unless I Uber it there. No cars this trip. I'll be using the L, buses and Uber.

19. DeadWax

DeadWax Initiate (129) Dec 29, 2016 Illinois

An Uber isn't a bad option between Mikerphone and Noon Whistle. As I've recently posted in the Mikerphone thread, Azacca Special Sauce is one of the 2 best IPAs he's ever done. Cat's in the Cradle and Lunches Brunches Interviews may still be on tap next weekend as well and also make it into my top 5 for him.

20. RexKramer

RexKramer Initiate (191) Jan 19, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I have to imagine an Uber between NE and Mikerphone would set ya back $20+ each way. Given where you are staying I'd say hit up Mikerphone. he's been doing some great stuff and will likely have a few good things on tap.

dcgunman likes this.
  21. sahd-1

sahd-1 Disciple (370) Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Given your circumstances, I'd make an excuse to visit a place in the burbs. While both Noon Whistle and Mikerphone are great, seeing as how Mikerphone is only open Thursday-Sunday and you're staying closer to it, personally, I'd go to Mikerphone. Noon Whistle does distribute some cans to stores, but none of their NE IPA's. Mikerphone's stuff hardly sees any distro at all anymore.

dcgunman likes this.
  22. dcgunman

Beer Trader

Well I was just going through my plans for my Chicago visit next week. And I see Half Acre is closed on Monday. Go figure. So now what? Any suggestions? I've been to Revolution 3 times in the past. Been to Piece. I should have from noon on to check out the city. But will only be using public transportation and Uber. Looking to hit up a brewery and a couple of pubs before heading back to Des Plaines area. I see Local Option has been mentioned in other post. Looking for a place with good IPA's & food.

23. croush

Beer Trader

I don't know that they will have many good IPA's, as they tend to have lots of Belgian offerings, but if you haven't been, I'd recommend Hopleaf. Great food, and I think they typically have Zombie Dust on tap.

Another option would be Haymarket, and you could wait for a table at Au Cheval, which has burgers that many people love (I'm more of a Kuma's guy myself), or just eat at Haymarket. Lone Wolf is also near there, which I think just about always has Zombie Dust on tap.

Jsimansk likes this.
  24. Palos

Palos Initiate (132) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I second Haymarket, some other good places in that area within walking distance. Cruz Blanca, Lone Wolf, and Parlor Pizza bar usually has a good taplist. Forbidden Root short Uber from that area too. Good luck.

Redrover likes this.
  25. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Zealot (530) Nov 26, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Looks like beer cellar in glen element tapped a non whistle gummy

26. RexKramer

RexKramer Initiate (191) Jan 19, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I was going to throw out Forbidden Root. Pairing it with Haymarket/Cruz Blanca and some food in the Randolph street area could make for a great day.

If you do happen to make it Au Cheval make sure you get the egg and bacon on the burger.

ChiCubs78 and Jsimansk like this.
  27. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Disciple (300) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

^^^THIS!

dcgunman likes this.
  28. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Aspirant (200) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Quick note for the OP, Cruz Blanca is closed on Mondays, and Lone Wolf opens at 4pm.

dcgunman likes this.
  29. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (366) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

My recommendation would be to go to Forbidden Root. They're doing some cool stuff, and the food is good.

From there, hit up Bangers and Lace. It's a short half mile walk down Paulina, and for my money, a top 2 or 3 beer bar in the city.

From there, you can walk to Links Taproom, which is a fantastic beer bar, and their draft list is available online up to the min, so you can see what's available.

The blue line is about a 2 min walk from there, and if you're still feeling good, you can take it to checkout Revolution for a 4th time.

If you're still feeling like something else, but not Revolution, Dovetail brewing is a new brewery that's cranking out some great beers. You have to be into euro style beers though. They're focusing on Lagers/Pilsners/etc. They're REALLY good, but they don't serve IPAs or adjunct stouts. I highly recommend them though if you're into those styles though.

dcgunman and RexKramer like this.
  30. Socalfan21

Socalfan21 Aspirant (232) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

A brewery closer to Links and Revolution, if you don't want to trek up to Dovetail, would be Hopewell right off the Logan square blue line stop. It's pretty solid.

dcgunman likes this.
  31. dcgunman

Beer Trader

Getting close to landing in Chicago. Dialing in my go to places. Looks like rain is in the forecast for sun and & Mon. Oh well. I guess it's better than in the middle of winter with a blizzard going on. The beers will help.

32. prior2two

Beer Trader

If you use Uber pool, it's super cheap. Like $3 a ride cheap.

dcgunman likes this.
  33. dcgunman

Beer Trader

So sorry to bump this again. Just want to say my 2 cents for what it's worth. My last night in Chicago. Spent yesterday morning gathering up all the masses of Chicago greatness to ship back home. Forty pounds worth. And it was a big box. Full of Pipeworks, Half Acre, Revolution and Mikerphone. And ZD 6er (big thanks to @Nachos4two). After FedEx I went into Chicago and hit up Lockdown Bar (for you metal heads out there). Awesome pub. Got some FFF Alpha King and Rev Local Hero. Also tried Goose Green Line > meh. After Lockdown I went back to one of my first visits to this wonderful Windy City > Logans Arcade. I feel like a kid again when I visit this place. Yes I was 14 years old when I was buying/drinking beers. Had FFF ZD, Necron 99, and Permanent Funeral. Stopped in Rev for some Anti Hero and across the street for some more cans of Ninja vs Unicorn to take back to the room. Man I had to piss like a mutha fukr when I got to Rosemont St. why don't they put restrooms at some of these stations. I'm not going to tell you where I pissed. But it was a lot! After training today I made my way to Bigby's Pour House on Algonquin. Most awesome bar. Had Pipeworks Mango Guppy, Noon Whistle Mosaic Red and Hop Prism. All outstanding. Got another 4pk of Surly Furious at Foremost and stopped in Johnnies Beef. Wow! Back in my room to finish off my last night before more training tomorrow and then flying the fuck out of this cold arse city. Lol. I love Chicago. But the weather? Y'all can have it. I'll be back hopefully in June or July for some more beer. I mean training.
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Mikerphone. I think I did mention it here or in the Mike thread. It's close to where I'm staying. Went there on Sunday after I landed. Another outstanding Chicago brewery.
    Thanks again to all those who inputs here.

34. prior2two

Beer Trader

Next time you're in town, shoot me a pm and we'll grab a beer. I live right by lockdown and can show you some other spots.

dcgunman and Socalfan21 like this.
  35. dcgunman

Beer Trader

Follow that.

36. Palos

Palos Initiate (132) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Sounds like you made the most of your time hear. To bad the weather sucked during your visit, hopefully it will be better next time.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.