American Ales Chocolate Oatmeal Porter- AG

Discussion in 'Homebrew Recipes' started by FATC1TY, Aug 3, 2014.

1. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Champion (863) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Chocolate Oatmeal Porter
    Oatmeal Porter
    All Grain
    5.5 gallons
    6.6 % ABV
    45 SRM
    34 IBU

72% efficiency assumed

9# Maris Otter - 66.8%
    2# Flaked Oats- 14.9%
    15oz Chocolate Malt (450L)-7%
    12oz Crystal 80L-5.6%
    8oz Pale Chocolate Malt-3.7%
    4.4oz Debittered Black Malt-2%
    Rice Hulls as needed- roughly half a pound
    3oz of Dutched Cocoa Powder

.65oz Northern Brewer @ 60- to 23 IBU's
    1oz Willamette @ 20- to 11 IBU's
    3oz Dutched Cocoa Powder @ 10min

Wyeast 1968 London ESB, with a starter

Mash at 152-153, for 60 minutes. Batch sparge, mash out with 170* water
    90 min boil, 1st hop addition at 60 min.
    Add cocoa powder @ 10 minutes, stir well.

Ferment cool around 66*, once it's fermented out, age it around 2 weeks with 2 split and scraped vanilla beans. Carb to 2.0-2.1 volumes

[​IMG]

2. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Disciple (396) Oct 4, 2012 Minnesota

How did this turn out? I might have to add this to my (rapidly expanding) list of beers to brew.

3. FATC1TY

Turns out awesome every time. Plenty of roast, not too acrid or burnt tasting like some porters can get. It's extremely silky and smooth due to the oats, but a decent sweet backbone to balance it out. Little to no hop aroma in the beer, very easy to drink. Super creamy, you'd swear there is some lactose in it.

I have it up on some other websites and it's a pretty popular recipe if you search for it. You can get some feedback on it to the tune of 28 pages worth. 1st hit on google for "chocolate oatmeal porter".

CurtFromHershey likes this.
  4. Apuzarne

Apuzarne Initiate (85) Dec 21, 2011 Connecticut

I want to do a coffee porter on Tuesday. Do you think adding some dark roast coffee would be good for this recipe?

5. FATC1TY

For sure. I would brew it as is.. And just before you package it, I would add around 2 ounces of some good coffee you like to a bag, and steep it in the beer for around a day. I'd course crush the beans a bit, wouldn't grind them though.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  6. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,917) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I'm thinking about making chocolate braggot. It sounds like you have had success with cocoa powder in the boil. Have you tried to bring chocolate into a beer in other ways, and if so, what did you think? I know this sort of question gets asked about a zillion times a month in the main homebrew forum but I thought I'd start with someone who looks like he knows what he's doing...

7. FATC1TY

I have used nibs in the mash, and in the primary, and got a nice chocolate note. I think the nibs work really, really well in primary. I think the layers of pale and regular chocolate malt really knocks in the chocolate the best, the cocoa powder and the nibs add a great belgian and dark chocolate note to the beer.

No experience with braggot, but try nibs in primary along with even the powder mixed in with some of the wort. You will have some losses from it all, so account for atleast half a gallon.

FeDUBBELFIST and pweis909 like this.
  8. Apuzarne

Apuzarne Initiate (85) Dec 21, 2011 Connecticut

Just wanted to give my feedback after brewing this. I am so happy with how this beer came out. I racked the beer on 2 oz of espresso beans that I took a rolling pin to instead of grinding fully. It is like drinking a mocha porter. A bit of coffee up front with a nice chocolate finish. Next time I will add more vanilla beans to help it shine through, but I am just getting nit picky at this point. I am so happy with how this beer came out and I wanted to thank you for the recipe.

9. FATC1TY

Glad it came out well. Always happy to hear!

10. LiquidLunch

LiquidLunch Initiate (37) Nov 11, 2003 Massachusetts

Is there an extract version of this one?

11. BumpyAZ

BumpyAZ Initiate (122) Jan 14, 2014 New Jersey

Been looking to put together a chocolate peanut butter porter and this looks like a good base for it. I did check out a thread on this recipe on another forum and while there was some talk about a chocolate peanut butter version, there weren't many specifics about how to do it. Here's my plan:

Increase pale chocolate malt by 2-3 oz
    Increase Dutched cocoa powder to 4 oz
    Add 1 lb PB2 @ flameout (per 5 gallon batch)
    Add 0.75-1 lb PB2 to secondary (per 5 gallons, to taste when racking)
    Possible add cacao nibs to secondary as needed to taste
    No vanilla bean

Seems that most of the peanut butter stout recipes I've come across recommend approximately a pound of PB2 late in the boil and again in secondary. I don't want the chocolate or peanut butter flavors to dominate and figured I could adjust that a bit in secondary to get the right balance. @FATC1TY do you think uping the cocoa powder is a good idea or should I leave it as written and add nibs to secondary if needed?

Finally, anyone have experience with PB2 in secondary? Should I just dump it on top after racking and maybe give a soft swirl to mix it in or should I try to boil/dissolve it first?

12. FATC1TY

Your assumptions are close to what I did myself. I didn't add to secondary though. But that should aide in keeping the subtle pb flavor present longer.

I'd boil up some water and add the pb to it and then add to secondary and rack beer in it. Let it settle well, and maybe brew more than planned as you will lose a lot on the trub and pb powders.

BumpyAZ likes this.
  13. BumpyAZ

Thanks! I'm not to worried about trub loss at this point as im just trying to figure out what works (hoping to work out the kinks before making this for my wedding later this year).

14. BumpyAZ

What does the krausen look like during fermentation on this? I'm not getting the traditional thick foamy krausen I'm used to seeing but not sure if that has anything to do with the cocoa that goes into this recipe? My first batch I made is plit in half. Half as listed and the other half with PB2 added. The regular half became infected due to an issue during transfer and ended up looking like it had a layer of translucent medium sized marshmallows floating on top of the beer. The PB2 batch had a thick fluffy brownish/beige krausen on it the hung around forever. My second batch has been in the fermenter now for a week and for a few days, the surface was mostly dark brown/black and shiny with some medium to large bubbles. Now that fermentation has slowed, the surface is mostly covered with small brown bubbles with what looks more like traditional krausen foam between many of the bubbles. Does this second batch sound right? Just worried that the presence of a large number of bubbles might mean its infected again?

15. FATC1TY

Probably oil from the peanut butter. And or vanilla if you added.

16. BumpyAZ

Not the peanut butter or vanilla since it only happened in the non-pb batches before vanilla was added. I'm thinking it must have something to do with the cocoa I used. Anyways, just bottled last night after letting the vanilla sit in the fermenter for 2 weeks and it tasted fantastic. This batch definitely wasn't infected but the first was (still tastes good, the mild sourness it has actually works well).

17. CADETS3

CADETS3 Initiate (179) Dec 3, 2014 Texas

quick update on my take on this brew, i hit my 6.6% right on the money. I added 2 vanilla beans to a secondary for 2 weeks and added 2.0 oz of coffee on the last 3 days. I then transferred to a balcones whiskey barrel where it aged for 3 weeks exactly. Upon kegging, the nice warm whiskey aroma is present along with the chocolate and coconut coffee notes. The whiskey is slightly present on taste and the vanilla is noticeable. I have this sitting in a closet in a keg under 10 psi after purging the oxygen from the keg. I plan on letting this age further until thanksgiving time. Cheers!!!

18. emr25

emr25 Initiate (115) Mar 19, 2011 Georgia

Any chance there is an extract version of this recipe? I have equipment for full boils in an 8-gallon brew kettle. Sounds like this would be a great winter seasonal to brew soon.

19. FATC1TY

I don't. Maybe you can use a calculator and get pretty close.

All of the malts, except for the Oats and Maris Otter, can be steeped as far as I'm aware.

If you can minimash, that would be ideal with some base malt, and the oats, and all the roasted malts. Then supplement whatever else you need for your base malt with some light DME

20. Hendrick24

Hendrick24 Defender (666) Sep 6, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I plan to brew this recipe and plugged it into BrewCipher, it's giving a FG of 1.024. First time using that program, am I doing something wrong?

21. CADETS3

Finally poured a first glass today. The beer is absolutely wonderful. Mine came out slightly light on body since it finished out at 1.016. There is a fine whiskey nose to it from the buffalo trace whiskey, pleasant finish of chocolate and coffee. The coffee i added to the beer was a chocolate and coconut coffee and it was absolutely delicious. Since the coffee addition, much of the coffee profile i wanted has faded, so i am going to make a cold brew and add it to the keg to get the profile back to what i wanted.

Absolutely a great recipe @FATC1TY !! Definitely a recipe to keep in the back pocket for the holidays.

22. CADETS3

Next time i brew this, i want to add some carapils to enhance head retention and mouthfeel.

23. FATC1TY

add more oats instead of carapils.

The beer got thinner, not just because of your lower finishing gravity, but because you barrel aged it. Barrel aging a beer, will thin it a bit- I up my mash temp, for this very reason when I'm adding to a barrel.

@CADETS3

Glad your beer turned out good.

24. CADETS3

Approximately, how much more oats would you add?

25. FATC1TY

You could go up to another pound. It'll make it slick and oily so some people don't think thicker and chewy.

Mash 2 degrees warmer perhaps to help as well.

26. emr25

I will be brewing this on 12/12/15, following the recipe as shown in the OP. Since we have an 8-gallon brew kettle, we will be using a Wilserbrew BIAB and will need to sparge up to our desired pre-boil volume.

I am thinking around 3 gallons of water for the mash, then pour over sparge up to 7-7.5 gallons for pre-boil volume. We will lose around 1.5 gallons to boil-off over the 1.5 hour boil time, and we pour everything into the fermenter, so expect a trub loss of at least 1 gallon as well. Anything between 4-5 gallons into the keg is fine. We will also make a vanilla extract using (3) Beanilla Madagascar Vanilla Beans split and scraped and soaked in a few ounces of bourbon for a week prior to adding to the carboy.

Does this sound reasonable for a first attempt at this recipe?

27. FATC1TY

Can't comment on if your volumes and gravity will match but might need a thinner mash. Less sparge.

The extract sounds fine! Add it to the keg of your doing it that way. Add to taste.

28. emr25

You are correct, after running things through the Priceless BIAB Calculator we will be using 5 gallons for the mash and then sparging up to 7 gallons.

29. emr25

We hit an OG of 1.069 following the recipe in the OP. Glad to see that our first BIAB experience at least got us to this point, hoping to see active fermentation sometime tomorrow. About 4 weeks until we can tap the keg!

We did substitute Fuggle for Willamette since Willamette wasn't available when we ordered the ingredients. Hopefully it won't change things much.

30. kkleu357

kkleu357 Crusader (785) Apr 2, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

We've never used vanilla beans. Do you usually soak them in vodka or bourbon to sanitize them?

31. CADETS3

Yes, try to let them soak for about 3 weeks and then pour in the tincture for about 2 weeks for 2 beans. You can always sample and see if the vanilla taste is where you want it.

32. benbking

benbking Aspirant (211) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island

I brewed this on Sunday night, subbed Biscuit malt for the pale chocolate. Screwed up the water calculations (OG 1052) and ended up adding 1lb of DME at 1080 after not seeing fermentation within first 48 hours. Happy to say it's bubbling along now. Only my 3rd all grain batch.

33. FeralBrew

FeralBrew Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2017 Alabama

I want to do this beer. What amount of water should I mash with and how much should I sparge with. I want to end up with at least 5 gallons to ferment.

34. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (103) Dec 20, 2016 New York

@FATC1TY I will be brewing your recipe this week end. I have 3 beers to brew for my friend's sons graduation party. I plan to split batch this and do half with coffee and maple and the other half with peanut butter. I will let you know how it works out.

What type of water profile did you go with on this?

35. FATC1TY

Hope it turns out! I haven’t brewed in a few years honestly.

I did however shoot for around 100ppm of caco3.. you want a more alkaline water for mashing due to all the dark grains. It’ll help keep any tartness down if the ph starts to dip, shoot for 5.5-5.8 range of ph of your mash if you check that.

Look for a London profile online and match it up and you’ll be happy with it. Itll allow the chocolate and the roast to really shine

TooHopTooHandle likes this.
  36. TooHopTooHandle

Ok cool! Thanks for the tips. I do check and monitor ph so that wont be a problem and I also have a London water profile that I use for my stouts that I'll use for this :slight_smile: cheers!

FATC1TY likes this.
  37. TooHopTooHandle

Just brewed this beer. Its chilling as we speak. Everything went exactly as planned expect my efficiency lil normally I get in the mid 70s and rocked an 84% lol so this will be a little bit stronger. I'll keep you updated on how it turns out. I will be split batching it. Half with coffee and maple and the other half with peanut butter