English/Irish/Scottish Ales Chocolate Oatmeal Porter-Robust Porter- All Grain

Discussion in 'Homebrew Recipes' started by honkey, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honkey

honkey Disciple (319) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Brewery Trader

Hey guys, I thought I would share one of the recipes from my brewery that has been really popular. Here is a link to the beer's profile on BA... http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23966/144970/

Name: Chocolate Oatmeal Porter
    Style: Robust Porter
    Type: All Grain
    Batch Size: Any
    OG: 1.067
    FG: 1.020
    ABV: 6.1%
    SRM: 40
    IBU: 30 Tinseth

Efficiency: Any, malts listed as percentages

Malt Bill: All malts used were Thomas Fawcett

Mash at 156 Degrees F
    68% Maris Otter
    10% Crystal II
    10% Oat Malt (NOT FLAKED OATS!)
    6% Chocolate Malt
    6% Pale Chocolate Malt

Hop Bill:
    Northern Brewer at 60 Minutes (30 IBU)

Yeast:
    Wyeast 1028
    12 million cells per milliliter

Water:
    Aim for 200 ppm Calcium with a 1:1 ratio of sulfate to chloride.

2. sethsticles

sethsticles Initiate (61) May 6, 2014 California

Sounds good. I'll have to give this a go sometime. I've never heard of oat malt. It'll be interesting to try that for the first time. Thanks for sharing!

3. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,956) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Can you describe the difference in flavor and/or texture from malted vs. unmalted oats? I've never used the former.

4. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,904) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I think in most recipes that use oats, where the percentage is low and offset by specialty grains, any perceptible difference must be subtle. I've use both in these sorts of recipes and have nothing interesting to report. Golden Naked Oats, on the other hand, are a different kind of beast. GNOs are, as best as I understand, a crystal style oat malt. I've used these guys as the only specialty malt in pale ales and those were some fine beers.

5. honkey

honkey Disciple (319) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Brewery Trader

Flaked oats don't add too much flavor, but they do provide body and a slick mouthfeel. Malted oats have a very distinct grainy flavor and they don't seem to provide the same oily mouthfeel in my experience. I have had several homebrewer's ask me how much oats we used because they say they have never tasted such an oaty flavor before. I have to explain to them that it is because of the oat malt being different from flaked oats. 10% is probably the max I would use in a beer because of how unique and distinct the flavor is, the graininess can get overwhelming

jmdrpi and VikeMan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.