Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by morimech, Jul 30, 2017.

?

Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (2,857) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota

Do you like them?

After tasting a dozen different examples, I never met one that I liked. But it seems very popular and my local brewery is going to release their version in cans in a week or two.

2. Squire123

Squire123 Meyvn (1,435) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I don't care for them though I can understand why others like them.

3. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,013) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Not a fan. Gimme all the coffee though.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  4. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,249) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

I tried Empyrean Carpe Brewem Peanut Butter Porter, and it was only OK, so I rated it a 3.5. Your quest sounds like my quest for a good pumpkin beer - I expect them to taste like pumpkin pie, though none I've tried do, and am thinking that if they taste like pumpkin pie, they won't taste much like a beer. So then, I may as well just have pumpkin pie and one of my favorite beers. Maybe the same for you, just have some peanut butter cups and wash them down with a beer you like.

Greenstone and rronin like this.
  5. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (220) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Same as NYFRB falsely galavanting as beer. Best damn choco PB up next.

6. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Zealot (583) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

The only one I've had is Sweet Baby Jesus, and I thought it was ok at best. Most seem to use artificial flavoring, so I skip them.

7. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Champion (824) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I had some local ones and they were tasty but I cannot do more than 1-2 max.

George1005 and HoppingMadMonk like this.
  8. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (3,251) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Not a fan but i did really like one that you will recognize being from MN . Junkyard Peanut Butter Bandit its a Milk Stoit but its smooth like a Porter. Very Good

9. superhippo45

superhippo45 Initiate (17) Jun 21, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Willoughby Brewing has Nut Smasher and Peanut Butter Cup Coffee porter. They are quite delicious, albeit they do add in coffee. Still, definitely chocolate-peanut butter forward beers. If I lived in Cleveland, I'd get crowlers all the time.

10. BobGNARley352

BobGNARley352 Initiate (185) Sep 3, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Moon Butter from Angry Chair will make you a believer

11. cryptichead

cryptichead Crusader (730) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois

Generally do not like peanut butter, so no.

P.S. but I do like peanuts on their own, go figure

thuey likes this.
  12. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,463) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I loooooove a good peanut butter beer. But just like any other style, there are excellent examples & shitty ones. @morimech who is the releasee in our neck of the woods?

HorseheadsHopHead likes this.
  13. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Devotee (400) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

This x1000. Trade for some or get it any way you can. You can thank us later.

Also, see omnipollo yellow belly. Excellent as well.

14. stevepat

stevepat Aspirant (234) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

haven't met one that I like and I'm also just generally averse to the addition of too much stuff to a beer. I'm guilty of it in cooking all the time but just adding more flavors doesn't necessarily make things tastier. I know BOMB from Prairie and Beer Geek Brunch from Mikkeler are epic stouts with 10,000 ingredients but most of the time it seems like too many flavors just make a cluttered beer.

15. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,227) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I like these. I thought Sweet Baby Jesus was awesome. I wish we saw more decent examples of these around here once in a while.

hobbitz and HoppingMadMonk like this.
  16. rronin

rronin Initiate (180) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

My daughter loves guacamole but hates avocados. Go figure even more.

17. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,249) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

The other night I tried a Woodgrain Peanut Butter Milk Stout, a local beer. Very good, very peanuty, not bitter. Stouts are Porters, so this should meet your criteria. Woodgrain doesn't distribute outside South Dakota - not sure where you are in Minnesota, but if you're in the Sioux Falls area in the next week or so, this one is worth a try.

HoppingMadMonk likes this.
  18. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (2,857) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota

I have had Dangerous Man, Waconia, Birch's, Grand Rounds, and one other, then I stopped ordering them altogether.

19. rronin

rronin Initiate (180) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

Maybe it all depends on the brewer?

20. stevepat

stevepat Aspirant (234) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Definitely depends on the brewer. Masters can take seemingly bizarre flavor combinations and make masterpieces of them, I was speaking more generally. Overall I do think there is a trend in craft beer toward novelty for novelty sake. I guess it's just a way to stand out in a crowded field. Brewers that I know and trust I am down to try anything they put out, others I'm much more cautious when it comes to their experimental flavors (which is a category that I would put PB and chocolate beer in)

21. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Devotee (437) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Subscriber

I've had a few,some were ok and was an interesting change. But one is all I can handle in one sitting

22. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (8,232) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Yellow Belly was mind blowing to me, but the funny thing is that it is not brewed with any peanut products at all. There is specialty malts they used to get that flavor. Says so on the label: "A peanut butter biscuit stout with no biscuits, butter or nuts. Taste, enjoy, and don’t be prejudiced." I think it was Briess Special roast and something else, which I am not sure of. Maybe massive biscuit malts.

As far as real PB stouts I love the whole DuClaw lineup. Sweet Baby Java is by far my favorite, with regular Sweet Baby Jesus and Pete's Sake being slightly less impressive. I've had the Belching Beaver one too(also great). Odd Side We Be Jammin, Right Brain PB CEO Stout, and Horny Goat PB porter. I am a really big fan when done well. I have had a number of homebrew ones that were amazing, but used massive amounts of PB2 powder to get the flavor. I haven't done it myself just because it'll be a huge mess to ferment and keg.

#22 superspak, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    HoppingMadMonk and FFFjunkie like this.
  23. HorseheadsHopHead

HorseheadsHopHead Savant (982) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I've only ever had one and its from a local brewery, Horseheads Brewing. However, it's very tasty and I love it.

24. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Devotee (400) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I too read the bottle of yellow belly as I drank it. I found that really cool actually.

As for me personally I really didn't like sweet baby Jesus or liquid bliss from terrapin. Those 2 from Willoughby are in an entirely different class to be honest. They are worth seeking out.

25. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (3,401) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota

Not a huge fan but can appreciate more than most sours...

26. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,196) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I enjoy Sweet Baby Jesus in small doses like after a nice dinner or something. It's far from a session beer, but one every now and again I really enjoy it.

27. DaaaaBeers

DaaaaBeers Initiate (173) Oct 9, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Jack's Abby has a PB&J Baltic Porter that is pretty damn good. Others that I've tried have been pretty miss though, especially Peanut Butter Raincloud.

28. nograz

nograz Disciple (326) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I was wondering that too.

Just saw a Tweet that F-Town has a new PB Porter being released in cans, maybe that is it?

29. joberlander

joberlander Disciple (367) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'm a big fan of Sweet Baby Jesus. There are plenty I've had that are terrible like peanut butter raincloud. Someone mentioned PB&J Framinghammer which is one of my favorites but that's not strictly a peanut butter beer or even a porter.

30. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Savant (935) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'll take a Reese's Peanut Butter cup instead

31. Cnote_crafty_1

Cnote_crafty_1 Aspirant (248) Apr 8, 2015 Pennsylvania

I have liked all of the ones I have had, minus Sweet Baby Jesus by DuClaw. Purple Monkey Dishwasher by Evil Genius and Terrapin Liquid bliss are good ones. Wait a minute, let's be real, it's freaking beer, what do you really want anyways? Get over it.

32. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Disciple (360) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

I like them for a change of pace. Isley Brewing (RVA) Choosy Mother and Boozy Mother are spectacular compared to anything else I've had (they're just PB porters, no chocolate).

Waiting for the next evolution of the DuClaw... Sweet Baby Jesus, For Pete's Sake... I think it should be "Aw Hellll Nah"

Prince_Casual likes this.
  33. TheGenesisOfElegance

TheGenesisOfElegance Initiate (69) Jun 14, 2014 Wisconsin

The best peanut butter porter I ever had was surprisingly from the St. Francis Brewery near Milwaukee Wisconsin. It was the perfect mixture from both worlds. It was so good on tap that I had four pints in a row.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.