Christmas beers are dropping earlier than I've ever seen

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, Oct 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (334) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

Went to the store today and saw Troegs Mad Elf being put on the shelves.

I know the creep is real, but damn wait until Halloween.

2. Selby56

Selby56 Initiate (71) Nov 12, 2014 Pennsylvania

Eventually we will get a Winter Warmer style Oktoberfest. Or has this already been done?

gopens44 and GreenBayBA like this.
  3. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Savant (967) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Seen Accumulation by New Belgium on shelves today. Think Jubilation is out too as well

4. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Every year around mid October people say "the seasonal creep is here, pretty soon there will be Christmas beers in July."

Always around mid October... every year... same time... never earlier. :grin:

5. cmiller4642

I've seen Christmas in July beers. I wouldn't be surprised if it's like "Christmas in July, August, September, and October"

6. cmiller4642

That's the earliest I've seen Mad Elf. I think it came out the week after Halloween last year.

Honestly it's not too special as far as Christmas beers go (Great Lakes is my favorite) but still

LuskusDelph and raynmoon like this.
  7. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,588) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

8. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (556) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

SPDY (Same Post, Different Year)

Mad Elf came out the same time last year.

9. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (3,112) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I saw Anchor's Our Special Ale on the shelves today. Of course, it was from 2017. Unfortunately, this seems to be the norm around here - at least in the mix-a-six coolers.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  10. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Jubelale is out already. I love it, but won't buy it before 11/1.

11. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

LOL nice!

GreenBayBA and dcotom like this.
  12. dcotom

Society Trader

I bought a Sixpoint Puff in the same store on April 20, 2018, for a 4/20 WBAYDN post. I later checked the canning date: 4/20/17. No joke. I told the W&S manager about it. What'd he do? He marked it down to $1/can. Fortunately, the canned-on date wasn't visible in my photo, so no one knew how big of an idiot I am. Until now.

13. AZBeerDude72

I am seeing more and more stores with old stock. It sucks to have to police the beer so much but man I check and double check a lot to avoid this. Sadly all the people out there trying beers for the first time get a bad taste for craft since a lot of times they get old swill and its not a true reflection of the beer.

frozyn, Amendm, bigstar87 and 4 others like this.
  14. cmiller4642

I had to switch out the Pumpking that I got the other day because it was 2017 vintage and not 2018. They put the 2017 vintage ahead of the 2018.

Luckily she was cool about it

15. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,963) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Yes - check dates and as usual, refuse the old crap. They do this with old fall beers too, in early summer. Bastages!

16. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,225) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Shiner Cheer dropped in stores in Houston this past week. I don't know how much of this they sold last year but after Christmas, it couldn't be found on shelves. My daughter was looking for some to take to a party and it was not to be found.

Amendm, Txex06 and GreenBayBA like this.
  17. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,354) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

I'll welcome Winter Welcome when I see it.

18. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,996) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Well, how was it?

19. dcotom

Society Trader

Malt bomb. I only bought it for WBAYDN anyway. :wink:

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  20. ypsifly

ypsifly Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

I got my first Christmas beers of the season two weeks ago. Harvey's Christmas Ale from England. So far I have Shiner Cheer, La Chouffe N'Ice Chouffe, GL Ohio City, 10 Barrel Pray for Snow and Old Jubilation. Gift sets too, I have Piraat, Gulden Draak and Weihenstephaner. I hate having these things so early but if I don't buy them now my store won't get them.

Jaycase, PapaGoose03 and Lahey like this.
  21. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (105) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Yeah my distributors are already trying to sell me some of them. I've been pitched Troegs Mad Elf, Deschutes Jubelale, New Belgium Accumulation, Shiner Cheers etc.

I've seen Christmas displays in department stores already, literally bigger then the Halloween displays... But I'm honestly not surprised, they seem to roll the seasonal things out earlier and earlier every year. Seem may be the key word however, I'm still not completely convinced that it's not all in our collective heads.

AZBeerDude72 and Lahey like this.
  22. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

This one makes sense to me to come out now. Few beers are likely as hard to move after the "season" as these (except perhaps the pumpkin beers after Halloween).

They hold up and compared to Oktoberfests in July, a winter warmer in October is not so bad. At least it FINALLY cooled a bit in these parts.

bret717 and LuskusDelph like this.
  23. surfcaster

Trader

This one makes sense to me to come out now. Few beers are likely as hard to move after the "season" as these (except perhaps the pumpkin beers after Halloween).

They hold up and compared to Oktoberfests in July, a winter warmer in October is not so bad. At least it FINALLY cooled a bit in these parts.

24. Lahey

Lahey Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I'd have offered him a dollar for him to drink it. See how viable he really thinks that year old beer is.

DrumKid003, PapaGoose03 and dcotom like this.
  25. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Next time ask them to bring out some of the stock they are saving until next year! :grin:

Amendm and donspublic like this.
  26. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,543) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Never understood this concept* - since so many "Pumpkin" beers are inspired by pumpkin pie spices (rather than Halloween jack-o-lanterns), shouldn't they be on the shelves at least until Thanksgiving - for which pumpkin pie is a traditional dessert?

*Not that I care, I guess - I ain't drinking 'em.

Lots of German and other European beers exported to the US have "Best by" dates based on suggested shelf life lengths of 1 year or longer. Not surprising a retailer might, also.

27. surfcaster

Trader

Agreed. I guess less emphasis on the the Jack-o-lantern on the label over years has not been unintentional??

This concept is similarly applied around here to Celebration. With that festive label and the cozy cabin, there is often a "fire sale" at the local grocery chain the week after Christmas with 9.99 twelve packs not unheard of. And other than the seasonal nature of the release (that I do love), there is nothing akin to the traditional winter/holiday warmer.

28. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (453) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I was at the mall yesterday and they already had the Christmas decorations up then I saw Mad Elf on the shelves, my heart sank ha ha

29. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (478) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I haven’t seen any in my neck of the woods in NECT! Although, I would be lying if I said I wasn’t keeping an eye out for Celebration.

LuskusDelph and BrewsOverHoes like this.
  30. Txex06

Txex06 Aspirant (230) Dec 28, 2016 Texas
    Trader

My neighborhood liquor has Cheer already also. The owner said she had to buy some now before HEB buys it all up.

31. Lahey

Lahey Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Some kinds of beer can last a year or more on the shelf, some don't. A retailer having a policy of letting everything get a year old is pretty disappointing to me. I give imported beer a slight break, but it still doesn't take that long to ship beer overseas. I just try to use my best judgement to not buy outdated beer, I understand most retailers don't care.

Amendm likes this.
  32. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

I've never understood this, as I think pumpkin beers are perfect fall beers, and fall is barely 1/3 over by Halloween. I wish I could still get fresh ones in November and December.

MaltheadWeirdo and surfcaster like this.
  33. Vason

Vason Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2008 Ohio

I'm already out of every pumpkin beer at my store, and got our first drops of Christmas beers last week.

It's a vicious cycle. Distributors want their brands to be first to market, so that their stuff is most readily seen by consumers. Stores buy in early to make sure they don't get scooped by the competition. Consumers buy in early to make sure they don't miss out. Distros see that consumers are willing to buy early, and push their contracted breweries to go a little earlier.

I'm considering holding some pumpkins in the backstock next year, assuming dates don't run out.

surfcaster likes this.
  34. AZBeerDude72

Funny you say that about displays. I was thinking the same thing. Over the past two weeks Halloween displays in the stores around me are minimal or being put away and Christmas took over. I asked the store worker why would Halloween which is still weeks away be packed up and Christmas pop up when its only Oct. Pretty much that Christmas is the money maker etc. So with that said it makes sense why we are seeing this creep earlier and earlier with beer. What sucks is that it just feels rushed now, I love this time of year and wish they would slow down and allow people to enjoy each event. Anyway, so is life. Cheers

35. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (105) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Couldn't agree with you more.

36. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (754) Mar 28, 2009 California

No complainants here. Celebration is on the shelves. I’ll skip all the winter warmers and spice beers. Not my thing.

LuskusDelph and BrewsOverHoes like this.
  37. YouGuysAreSick

YouGuysAreSick Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2018 Maryland

Our beer buyer was given the option to order Celebration as early as the 19th this year, it's definitely a little earlier than last year.

38. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,354) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Old Jubilation is in town. Love it. Now,I can't wait for daylight savings to end. That always gets my bock....err...goat.

Genuine likes this.
  39. beeragent

beeragent Meyvn (1,103) Aug 16, 2005 Texas

I don't mind seasonal creep when Oktoberfest/Fall season is approaching, but after that, everything seems to come out way to early.

40. hollyshubby

hollyshubby Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2011 Ohio

I bought some tonight from our local pony keg. Early?, but it's fresh. yes it is

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.