Church and Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 3GreenNoRed, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3GreenNoRed

3GreenNoRed Initiate (76) Jun 29, 2013 Colorado

williamjbauer and kemoarps like this.
  2. Sipchue

Sipchue Disciple (330) Mar 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

We have a spirits group at our church. Please note that spirits is not capitalized. We've had events centered around whiskey, vodka and a number of beer functions. It's the largest social group in our church. What fun!

Chickenhawk9932 and kemoarps like this.
  3. stingley

stingley Initiate (115) Sep 21, 2013 Pennsylvania

Chickenhawk9932 likes this.
  4. Hanglow

Hanglow Champion (811) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland

Interesting, they should try that here as due to falling congregations ours are being converted into houses, climbing walls and thankfully bars :slight_smile:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. raffels

raffels Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2009 West Virginia

But if at the Church they would give us some Ale,
    And a pleasant fire our souls to regale;
    We'd sing and we'd pray, all the live long day;
    Nor ever once from the Church to stray...

" The Little Vagabond"
    William Blake 1757-1827

6. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,229) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Found the article fairly interesting...not sure how I would react if I walked into a craft beer bar and "church" was happening... I guess it depends on what I was expecting to do at the bar - just have a relaxing beer, watch sports, etc...

russpowell and mythaeus like this.
  7. brewsader

brewsader Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2012 New York

i'm actually working on a degree at a divinity school right now and people are always surprised to hear how much we drink. personally, i think beer is built into the idea of christian fellowship but given the history of puritanical temperance ideology in the US people assume that sobriety is next to godliness...

8. ProudBeerSnob

ProudBeerSnob Disciple (369) Apr 27, 2004 New York

My church has had a discussion group at a local pub called "theology on tap." I keep meaning to go.

9. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Initiate (163) Jan 24, 2006 Ohio

Churchkey is one of my favorite bars.

10. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Disciple (327) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

I think beer is divine. That should count for something.

11. mattcrill

mattcrill Meyvn (1,327) Mar 16, 2004 Ohio

Life imitating art...a Pastor, a Rabbi, and a Nun could really all walk into a bar...but then, what would the joke be??

12. MikeWard

MikeWard Poo-Bah (2,140) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Martin Luther liked to hold theological discussions with students in a pub. Good bloke to follow.

13. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Crusader (762) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Get a keg of Pliny the Younger and everyone will convert.

Spikester, joromiller and rather like this.
  14. Gorillahead

Gorillahead Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2013 Missouri

A beer with dinner doesn't make you a sinner!

hnandez and BeerKangaroo like this.
  15. Dracarys

Dracarys Initiate (0) May 28, 2013 Alabama

16. douginromeo

douginromeo Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2013 Michigan

This is a great idea, but Europeans are way ahead of us. My undergrad is in biblical studies, and one of my professors talked about a trip to Germany to visit sister churches of the same denomination. They had lunch with one of the deacons who also owned the local pub, and he had a mini-keg of beer to be served with lunch. Apparently, the alcohol ban in the Church of Christ denomination only exists in the US.

#16 douginromeo, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  17. EBeckett3

EBeckett3 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2013 New Jersey

One need only consider the contribution of the Trappists, as well as the Augustinians, Franciscans, Carthusians, Benedictines, et al. to beer, alcohol in general and Catholic spirituality to pause for refreshment, if not enlightenment.

And remember, when the drink ran out, He made more...

18. Marshall_ofmcap

Marshall_ofmcap Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2013 Colorado

I've been to one in Denver and it was quite a good time

19. PumaSaysRawrr

PumaSaysRawrr Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2013 Pennsylvania

PSU_Mike likes this.
  20. davegray

davegray Aspirant (289) Sep 23, 2006 California

Our church's men's beer group (we are Mennonite, thus we call ourselves: mennobeer group) is headed on a brewery tour in a couple weeks. RR, Bear Republic, Lagunitas, and anything else we stumble into. Make beer not war!

21. jamespub

jamespub Initiate (150) Jan 24, 2010 Missouri

my best tastings are with friends from church. no one gets too out of hand, but we all have a great time. they are ALL into trying new and different beers, even if they had bad experiences with those styles in the past. good and honest conversation always occurs once the beer loosens things up...

alcohol and christianity have been linked for a long long time. the american prohibition brought it apart....really wish they would have separated church and state in that one.....

22. EBeckett3

EBeckett3 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2013 New Jersey

Big Church. Bigger God. I'll pop in when next in Steel City.

PumaSaysRawrr likes this.
  23. Dreizhen

Dreizhen Aspirant (286) Jun 6, 2013 District of Columbia

When I lived in Nashville we had church in a bar. Scotch makes for good sharing time, haha.

24. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (890) Jan 29, 2012 England
    Trader

[​IMG]

I've had a recurring dream about my local cathedral being turned into a brewpub. The bar area is split down the middle in place of these choir stalls.

25. _--TAD--_

_--TAD--_ Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2013 Texas

Well, if you didn't know, in Europe before large brewing companies appeared, a majority of beer was personally brewed or brewed by a Church/ Monastery, thus the reason why some of the best beers of Europe were or are currently still made in a religious setting.

Note the beer in my profile pic, made in a monastery with monks partaking in the process of brewing.

#25 _--TAD--_, Nov 4, 2013
    Josiah2729 and djsmith1174 like this.
  26. Mojo

Mojo Champion (804) Jul 21, 2012 Alabama

I'm an active member of a Southern Baptist church, one of the only SBC churches where the moderate consumption of alcohol is not frowned on. Pastors there all say you can't make a case from the Bible for the total prohibition of alcohol. Since the Bible does not prohibit it, and since where there is no law, there is no sin, many of our church members are pretty open about drinking. I believe beer is one of the blessings from God, allowed to be created by man and meant to be enjoyed. Of course like most things, it can be abused.

27. PumaSaysRawrr

PumaSaysRawrr Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2013 Pennsylvania

At The church in Pittsburgh one of the old confessionals is a bathroom.....

Hoppsbabo likes this.
  28. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,847) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Society

maybe some of you guys with your pro-beer churches could talk to the other churches out there whose members were responsible for so many "blue laws" that we still have to deal with in many states. It's not the secularist folks who are responsible for restrictions on Sunday purchases & consumption.

29. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,545) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Sunday laws here aren't all that restrictive, but IMO there shouldn't be any restrictions at all.

mlhyatt likes this.
  30. a0lbudman

a0lbudman Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2013 Alabama

Many people at my church say there will be no alcohol in heaven, I just think really!! Baptist comes from John the Baptist, who God command him never to let alcohol touch his lips. The same was true with Samson, and a few others of the Bible. they did not believe in shaving or cutting there hair. And there was a certain group of Jews that do not drink, but the Bible does not say you cannot.

31. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,545) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Jesus turned water into wine, but that was obviously before bottled water. Better wine than dysentery.

Kerrie and sajaffe1 like this.
  32. douginromeo

douginromeo Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2013 Michigan

Now this I could get behind - less about attracting people and more about brotherhood!

33. Padraig

Padraig Initiate (132) Jan 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

#33 Padraig, Nov 4, 2013
  34. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I drink my beer faithfully each day. :wink:

35. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,084) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

36. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Initiate (175) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

Spokane has a good mens bible study that meets at a local pub. Awesome group of guys. It fills up every week though, so I have only been once.

37. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (840) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

You beat me to it. I am heading there on Saturday. Celestial Gold is very good and Thunderhop IPA is fantastic.

PumaSaysRawrr likes this.
  38. Brutalism_X

Brutalism_X Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2013 Maryland

A cool idea but not something I'd subscribe to. I like to keep my drinking and praying separate.

JuicesFlowing likes this.
  39. mythaeus

mythaeus Champion (801) Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

When you're drunk, you'll believe (in) anything. I'm surprised it took this long for the church to figure that out. :grinning:

40. SadMachine

SadMachine Poo-Bah (2,041) Mar 14, 2011 New Jersey
    Society Trader

This is intriguing. I personally lead a young adults group for my church, and several of us are into craft beer, so often after our study time we share a growler or some bottles, but it isn't an advertised or official part of the group. I don't see any issue with churches doing this. I think it's smart to break away from the legalism of the "holiness movement", which is a relatively new thing in church history that made drinking alcoholic beverages out to be "sinful", which is ridiculous since Jesus himself both drank and gave wine to his disciples on multiple occasions!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.