Churchill's Anny 2014

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by barleywinefiend, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,602) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Society Trader

How about everyone just follow this rule:

Don't be fucking drunk, entitled asshole and we'll all be fine.

sil1 and MontereyBay831 like this.
  2. albertq17

albertq17 Initiate (75) Oct 11, 2010 California

That is exactly my point. I don't think there is anything wrong with camping out in front of a bar. It is the beer drinking in line that I think is out of place.
    You seem to think that if you are allowed to be in line for beer, you should be able to drink some while waiting. And that a "beer geek" or "beer nerd" or whatever you call yourself, can't be trusted to stay in line without pulling a growler out of your jacket to pour someone a taste.
    Is it fair to say that you simply think that the rewards of bottle sharing outweigh the consequences? Because that make more sense to me than "well, we are all here for beer right?" or "hey it's their fault cuz if they wanted, they could do BPT, cheers!" or the "do you speed?" lol!
    I get it, I like beer too. But I just think that people in line should be expected to act like adults and have some restraint.

vurt likes this.
  3. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,187) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

If you are of legal drinking age, you are not a little kid anymore. If you know you aren't supposed to drink while waiting in line, and you can't resist the temptation, don't bring any beer. This is not difficult.

There is nothing inevitable about a bottleshare. It happens because people make a conscious decision to do what they want to do, even if it is illegal.

albertq17 likes this.
  4. rrryanc

rrryanc Aspirant (286) May 19, 2006 California

If your problem with drinking in line is that it's against the law, and you don't like to break the law, then fine. I get it. I mean, I don't really, but I at least understand your argument.

But if you're ok with speeding because it's a harmless crime, then why do you care if folks have a few drinks in line overnight? I get that some people get too drunk and are obnoxious, etc - though I honestly don't see that much at shorter line-shares. Not sure how drinking a bottle or two would make me less of an adult?

5. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Initiate (182) Aug 19, 2011 California

if you are a business with an license to sell alcohol, if there are people drinking within 100 feet from your establishment, you are responsible for that, and its illegal. so thats why the bottle sharing isn't okay, its an issue with his license and it could get revoked if a cop decided to come and act upon it.

6. albertq17

It's not that I think drinking in line makes you less adult. It's the reasons people give to justify it. And I really don't care all that much, outside of reading and replying on this thread.
    If you say that since I speed while driving I shouldn't care about people drinking in line, then that's what I mean about not being adult like.

7. eaterfan

eaterfan Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2013 California

There is a difference between speeding and drinking in line.

If a person gets caught drinking in line the consequences are dealt with by:
    A) The offender (open container or drunk in public ticket)
    B) The establishment (fines, or even the loss of liquor license resulting in the end of Churchill's)
    C) The patrons of the establishment

If a person gets caught speeding the consequences are dealt with by:
    A) The offender

The city where the speeding took place isn't responsible and if too many people get caught speeding it doesn't lead to the closure of the street or freeway. Other people can still use it.

Yes, speeding can lead to accidents but so can drinking in line. I'm just talking about non-injury legal consequences that are likely to happen.

8. albertq17

Some of us know who Ryan is, and all of us know what a growler looks like.
    I agree with you on the little kid reference.
    Ryan said that he didn't care about this issue because he wasn't lining up this year. But I say he didn't care when he did line up last year.
    And like you said, many people don't care about the possible consequences, and I'm not saying they have to. They can say "I will bring and /or share beer in line in spite of what can happen to me or Churchills" and they would be very honest people.
    Again, what I think is immature, is the reasons some bottle sharers give to justify what they do. They blame Churchills for selling bottles the way they do, or they say "you brake laws, why do care man?"
    So I ask once more, is it that the rewards of bottle sharing outweigh the consequences?

9. rrryanc

People keep bringing this up in the thread. Can you please point me to cases where the business was fined because someone was loitering on it with alcohol not sold from the establishment?

Are you telling me it's as easy to shut down a bar/bottle shop I don't like as paying some bums to go drink 40s in front of it?

CheapBeerBuzz and PlinyBeMiney like this.
  10. eaterfan

eaterfan Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2013 California

The rewards probably do outweigh the consequences (at least he likelihood of the having any consequences) or people wouldn't do it.

The chances someone gets in trouble are very small and for the person who does get in trouble the consequences aren't great. Considering how much time people spend in line and how much more enjoyable it is to drink good beer I would say that for most the rewards outweigh the consequences.

That being said, I wouldn't do it because I am afraid of getting in trouble.

nanobrew and albertq17 like this.
  11. rrryanc

Here, I got curious and went and looked it up. Subject to city ordinances of course, which I didn't bother with.

Source: http://www.abc.ca.gov/questions/enforcement_faq.html#Q. 62.

So two things. 1st, encouraging hundred of people to line up in the wee hours of the morning threatens to fall into the disorderly house scenario - though as written it certainly seems worded more for repeat offenders.

2nd, I think the "upon notice" is a big part of nuisance conditions. I.e. if I line up in line at 2:30AM, crack a beer and get busted for it while all employees/owners of the bar are asleep, they're not responsible.

Again, if there are examples out there to the contrary, I'd love to see them.

12. albertq17

I think you're pretty much spot on with all that you wrote.

13. Xul

Xul Champion (818) May 18, 2008 California

That's a fair point, my issue is really just with people using Ivan's release method as a cover for bottlesharing after he asked people not to. In a perfect world, he'd find a way to release the bottles that didn't require lining up and rewarded his regulars, yet still dovetailed with the anniversary event. It seems like he's at least exploring BPT, which is a step in the right direction.

And that's where it has the real potential to cause a problem, as a police officer would probably be fairly confused by several dozen people sitting in a parking lot at 4 AM passing beers around. At best, the officer is incredibly cool and overlooks it. At worst, they hand out open container citations like candy, tell the crowd to disperse, and it leads to some very uncomfortable issues for Ivan to deal with, as well as a general negative outlook towards craft bars and breweries from local law enforcement and governments. Licensing issues are already hard enough for new breweries, the SDPD/SDSD don't need further ammunition.

Agreed, and ultimately we're arguing towards the same goal in different ways. I hope that I'm just being overly pessimistic.

nanobrew likes this.
  14. HeavySpeedway

HeavySpeedway Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 California

Actions speak louder than words. If he didn't have a problem with it, he'd figure out a way to eliminate the line. Dozens of places in San Diego have figured it out; if he hasn't he either is too stubborn to go that route, or he likes the hype and just is giving lip service (as Xul speculated).

As for San Marcos, if their restaurant revenues that weekend are significantly higher than they are on a normal weekend, they likely are telling the police to not do anything as long as there are no fights breaking out.

15. Xul

Xul Champion (818) May 18, 2008 California

That's not what I said. I said that he probably realizes people are going to do as they please, so he may as well make a CYA effort. There's a huge difference between condoning it and accepting the fact that he has limited means to control everyone's behavior.

1) The San Diego Sheriff's Department services San Marcos, so the law enforcement exists at a county level, not a city level. I'm sure there's communication, but I doubt it extends to the level of telling the sheriffs department to look the other way because of a marginal increase in tax revenue for the weekend.
    2) You're far more optimistic than I am about how patient a deputy will be if they get called to a parking lot because of a disturbance and find 50 - 100 people sitting there drinking. Seriously, this is the same county where law enforcement will give you a ticket if they catch you sitting or walking on the beach with an open beer, minding your own business, and you think they'll just look the other way if they get called out to the parking lot at 4 AM?

16. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 California

You people take life too serious.

Brewzer1010 likes this.
  17. sandiego67

sandiego67 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2008 California

This may be the root of the problem. It is only beer.

UnknownKoger and Brewzer1010 like this.
  18. HeavySpeedway

I take it too seriously, myself.

[snicker]

19. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,753) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

20. Atreyufan31

Atreyufan31 Initiate (108) Jul 28, 2011 California
    Trader

I hope the beer lineup turns out to be just as good as this thread... My God.

21. HopsintheSack

Almanac Valley of the Hearts Delight (apricots, loquats, cherries)
    Almanac Dogpatch Sour
    Alvinne/Stillwater Wild West
    Ballast Point Victory at Cereal / Captain Crunch Vic (CASK)
    Ballast Point Bourbon BA Victory at Sea on (NITRO)
    Bear Republic Churchill's X
    Bear Republic TarTare Rouge
    Bear Republic Barrel Aged Old Baba Yaga 2012
    Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout
    Coronado Brandy Barrel Barleywine 2011
    Craftsman Barrel Aged TBD
    De Molen Cease & Desist 2010 (KEY)
    Deschutes Abyss 2010
    Deschutes Black Butte XXIII
    Deschutes Black Butte XXV
    Drakes Bourbon Barrel Aged Drakonic
    Drakes Brandy Barrel Aged Father Maker
    Evil Twin Justin Blaeber (Brunello Wine Barrel Aged)
    Evil Twin Imperial Doughnut Break
    Firestone-Walker 17th Anniversary
    Firestone-Walker Lil Opal
    Firestone-Walker Parabola
    Firestone-Walker Sucaba
    Firestone-Walker Velvet Merkin(not Merlin!)
    Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
    Goose Island Bourbon County Barleywine
    Green Flash Little Freak Barrel Aged w/ Plums on CASK)
    Hangar 24 Pugachev's Cobra 2012
    Hangar 24 Pugachev's Cobra 2013
    Karl Strauss 24th Anniversary Flanders
    Latitude 33 Murder by Death (NITRO)
    Logsdon Cerasus Kriek
    Lost Abbey Churchill's Finest Sour 2012
    Lost Abbey Churchill's Finest Sour 2013
    Lost Abbey Deliverance 2011
    Lost Abbey Cuvee de Tomme
    Mother Earth New Barrel Aged Sour
    New Belgium Le Terroir
    New Belgium Blackberry Love Leopold Blackberry Whiskey Barrel
    New Belgium Love-Oscar Apple Whiskey Barrel
    Port Brewing Churchill's Finest Hour 2012
    Port Brewing Churchill's Finest Hour 2013
    Port Brewing Churchill's Finest Hour 2014
    Pizza Port Bourbon Barrel Aged Night Rider
    Russian River Consecration 2011
    Russian River Pliny the Younger
    Russian River Supplication 2012
    The Bruery Bourbon Barrel Aged Bois
    The Bruery Surprise Cask / special barrel aged beer on (CASK)
    The Bruery Rueuze

This is just a partial draft list!!

UnknownKoger and gregoryG like this.
  22. dcbullet

dcbullet Initiate (136) Dec 18, 2013 California

I like that list.

23. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Devotee (458) May 19, 2011 California
    Trader

Thanks for the snack!

24. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Aspirant (221) Nov 17, 2009 Massachusetts

I wish I could make this event but I am not lining up the night before with everyone from LA just to see the rest of them cut me like they did last year. Last year was awful.

The bottles should 100% be sold by tickets at Churchill's before the event. It should be a silent ticket release a week or two ahead of time. Do not announce the day the tickets are released. Word will spread around and many locals who visit and support Churchill's will be able to get bottles before the scum get them. This cuts down the line, bottles shares outside and the rest of the bullshit that happened last year.

The event itself outside of the bottles is amazing and I congratulate Ivan and Churchill's for doing this every year.

nanobrew, sdpaul and ryno09 like this.
  25. UCLABrewN84

Society

Has anyone heard if there will be any bottles for sale online?

26. HeavySpeedway

What? Was that even a rumor?

No.

27. UCLABrewN84

Society

Ivan posted on the website that he MAY do some bottle sales online. It's a week away and I am curious if he decided one way or the other.

28. StoutSnob40

Society Trader

Great time for our first big rain storm of the season.. Should be cold and rainy all Friday night/Sat. morning.

29. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2012 California

Waiting for Bottles will be so much fun :astonished:
    [​IMG]

jp7161 and Callmecoon like this.
  30. CraftBeerBrotha

CraftBeerBrotha Initiate (151) Jul 23, 2013 Georgia
    Trader

What's up Luwak.

When are you planning to get there? We have a nice group going, and will be up there around 10 PM to close the place down on Friday night. I'll BM you my number so we can meet up.

luwak likes this.
  31. Skuter

Skuter Initiate (176) Jun 21, 2008 California

OMG!! The weather alone will now make getting a bottle of CFH on the trading forums worth an extra bottle or two of Heady Topper.

Wowcoolman, DougOLis, SageO and 3 others like this.
  32. HopsintheSack

LOL awesome!!

JustXBeer likes this.
  33. StoutSnob40

Society Trader

Hey, look on the bright side.. Might keep some people away.

34. luwak

luwak Aspirant (217) Mar 2, 2010 Arizona

Andre! Cool...Send BM to coordinate
    I think im gonna be there late at night Friday not and likely not drinking

35. HeavySpeedway

Churchill's Finest Shower?

36. luwak

luwak Aspirant (217) Mar 2, 2010 Arizona

based on the habituation of Californians to good weather these few raindrops may bring Churchill's Finest Glower

37. StoutSnob40

Society Trader

Heyooooo!

38. Melman

Melman Initiate (117) Dec 5, 2013 California

I can already see it now.

"ISO: CFH FT: Prop+HTx2"

39. ionlion

ionlion Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2014 California

Ill be there fri night around 10pm..first time going to this event. Too early?

40. StoutSnob40

Society Trader

I can't imagine many people are going to be lining up before that. I'm probably going to come by around 3:30 - 4:00 am.. The weather is going to be a serious bummer, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.