Citra Ass Down worth 16.50 a bottle?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tmbgnicu, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Casterbridge

Casterbridge Disciple (378) Mar 26, 2010 Connecticut

It's going for $25 at a bar in my area.

rjp217 likes this.
  2. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

I paid the $16.99 because I also had never tried it and I felt like I got bent over by Against the Grain. Nice beer? Sure. Better than most DIPAs? Hell no. Worth ALMOST as much (around here) as Hopslam 6-pack or way more than a 4-pack of Hop JuJu? Fuck no.

3. memphischas

memphischas Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2008 Tennessee

I bought it for 8.99 in Arkansas which is a perfect price point. Twice that? Hell no.

russpowell likes this.
  4. AndrewK

AndrewK Aspirant (272) Oct 20, 2006 California

One of the issues is that they went with 12 Percent Imports for nationwide distro, which means that they sell to 12%, 12% sells to a local distributor, and the local distributor sells to the retailer. But based on the final price at retail, it still looks like they are overcharging from the beginning.

5. Matthew1788

Matthew1788 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2013 Ohio

No, over and over and over again.

6. dataylor21

dataylor21 Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2013 Kentucky

From my understanding, the distributor is mostly responsible for the outrageous pricing. Too bad as its a solid DIPA and their other beers are quite good, especially Bo & Luke, but I can see how the steep prices would keep people away.

zid likes this.
  7. kingston2

kingston2 Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2008 Pennsylvania

Double Sunshine is only 9 bucks a bottle and is far superior.. would not spend that on an average IPA..

8. breadwinner

breadwinner Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2014 California

Same issue w/ Shelton Bros. and Prairie/Anchorage/Jolly Pumpkin. Maybe not the same level of price insanity, but there are other issues with this "4th tier" related to distribution/allocation. Maybe someone can explain the virtue of it to me, but thus far I can't see any benefit to it.

russpowell and sharpski like this.
  9. nicholasofcusa

nicholasofcusa Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2006 Pennsylvania

Even at the brewery Sculpin is $14 or $15 for a six pack. Same at big retailers near the brewery. And this was over a year ago. So at least the expensive pricing is pretty consistent across the country.

On Sunday I paid $15 for a sixer at a grocery store in Western NY. Well, it was actually purchased for me as a birthday gift. Normally I balk at prices that high but had only ever tried it on draft so said "what the hell".

#49 nicholasofcusa, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  10. 1eyed_jack

1eyed_jack Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2012 Illinois

Wonder if people feel the same way about Three Floyds crazy prices

11. SquirrelsBrews

SquirrelsBrews Initiate (0) May 31, 2011 Massachusetts

I'm in Boston. It's distro'd twice here in the past 3 month. Everytime it only goes to about 4 bottle shops in the state 12bottles per store. Hard to get.....But what's even harder is the $19.99 price tag!!!! C'mon fellas

12. Homebrew

Homebrew Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Connecticut

Sold all of here in CT , but at 14 & change a bottle. It's not ATG that sets that price, it's 12% imports that mark all of there stock up like crazy

13. BeerMeBro720

BeerMeBro720 Initiate (0) May 2, 2013 Ohio
    Deactivated

We see inflated prices like that in Ohio. They were selling The Brown Note for $16.99! $16.99 for an English Brown Ale?! Nopenopenope

If you are ever in Louisville ATG is worth the stop. Along with Apocalypse Brew Works for a Peanut Brown. Then walk over to Sergio's for some high priced whalez

14. Scipio3

Scipio3 Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2014 Ohio

I really liked it, but my buddy purchased it and we shared. So it was worth it to me ;-)

15. dar482

dar482 Poo-Bah (3,853) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Society

Don't know about you, but I'd buy Double Sunshine or King Sue for that price in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't buy it all the time, but it does mean not having to plan a very specific weekend to VT and waking up at sunshine for Double Sunshine.

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  16. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Texas

This kind of pricing BS is exactly why I stopped chasing all this hyped beer .. The few times I have spent more than 8 bucks for a bomber i'm always disappointed. If taste and price are linear this 18.00 beer would make send me on an LSD type trip. I personally think these breweries are laughing at people paying these prices. Very few beers get my attention anymore especially with reasonable priced and awesome brews that are out there like the entire Odell line up, Sierra Nevada, Victory so on and so on.. I do buy Ruinten when it comes out..my vice. I really hate these prices when I know they are not putting the amount of materials into the beer that would underline such a high price raise... I blame hipsters. Say what you will.

pjvie and CHADMC3 like this.
  17. larryarms847

larryarms847 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2010 Illinois

No way. It's a decent brew, but nothing to write home about and I picked it up here around Chicago for about $10 a bottle (not worth that much in IMO).

18. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

I don't think their $11 six packs are unreasonable they are all pretty solid beers. The bombers on the other hand with the exception of moloko and dreadnaught aren't always so great. But holy hell behemoth or even worse darklord!, which is probably the worst IRS I've ever tasted ever.

A guy showed me a picture the other day of a box full of waxed FFF beers he could probably buy a car with how much money (not even gonna count the time he invested) he spent on those, its just plain ridiculous.

19. 1eyed_jack

1eyed_jack Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2012 Illinois

Yeah, I've recently come to just flat out stop buying bombers that are over $10. Just way too much money. All the FFF ones seem like they around in the $15 area, and that's just too much.

There's some very nice Lagunitas and Clown Shoes ones I've gotten for like $7 or $8, that's much more reasonable

20. hilgart1

hilgart1 Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2011 Illinois

I paid 12.99 and was mad about it from first sip.

rjp217 likes this.
  21. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,152) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

None of their beers are worth the price tag. All of their beers, except Bo & Luke belong in 6-packs for $10 a pack. They need to find a better distributor. And stop spending money on those odd and unpleasant labels. Also, the reason for their high price is because they go through 5 tier system, instead of 3 tier.

22. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

All the FFF bombers by me are like $10 but I live in a small town without a bunch of ravenous beer nerds. So in that respect at least I'm lucky. Its still hard not to feel like an idiot when you pull that $10 bomber off the shelf and an $11 six pack of another FFF beer is staring you in the face.

23. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

Fair enough... I haven't had either of those but might drop $17 for the chance.

dar482 likes this.
  24. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,912) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

NO its Overpriced and living on the coattails of Citra

25. alucardswordlol

alucardswordlol Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2013 North Carolina

Citra ass down is not worth the price. Someone mentioned you can get a 6 er of sculpin for a similar price and it's certainly better. I dropped 17 on one ipa in a bomber that was worth it - fatamorgana by omnipollo. Check that out instead.

26. CHADMC3

CHADMC3 Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2005 Connecticut

I'm intrigued to try their beers but not at the $15-20 price range.

Perhaps the better question to the brewer, retailer, etc is- "why is the price so high"?

I realize sometimes bigger beers with more ingredients or expensive hops cost more plain and simple. Is this the case here? Or is it the price because it has a clever name and amusing label?

Can anyone weigh in?

27. alucardswordlol

alucardswordlol Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2013 North Carolina

Only 1 IPA worth 17 for a bomber and that's fatamorgana. All against the grain are way overpriced.

28. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut

29. gshak

gshak Zealot (533) Feb 20, 2011 Texas

Let's do some weird beer math here:
    Pliny - $7 / 16 oz
    Sculpin $2.50 / 12oz
    Stone Enjoy By $7 / 22oz
    Stone RuinTen $8 / 22oz
    Alpine Duet/Nelson $6/22oz

Citra Ass Down $17/22oz

And the beer calculator says, "The Fuck NO". So I guess, it ain't worth it after all - hey, it's not me, it's the beer calculator.

30. miketd

miketd Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio

I saw it in KY. for nine and still passed. I'm not paying those prices for beer anymore, especially if I'm not 100 percent sure of quality and freshness.

31. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn
    Deactivated

Dude! Stop making sense on BA!! $16.50 is clearly a price gouge! Boycot!!!

32. BullDoza

BullDoza Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2014 Texas

paid 16.50 and thought it was good, but not worth it. wouldn't buy it again for more than 10.

33. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 California

Ok, I'm the one here always slowing people down from complaining about pricing as it's the business' perogative and we can just avoid it but this is laughable.

34. leantom

leantom Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2011 Indiana

Whats the volume of the 17-dollar bottle?

If it's just 12 fl. ou., I don't see how it could be worth it. No beer is worth that much.

35. rjp217

rjp217 Poo-Bah (1,573) Apr 24, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Great, GREAT name for a beer but....

Nope.

36. Srkolodn

Srkolodn Disciple (300) Dec 26, 2013 New York

It is nice being rich....Bitc#

Modernrickk likes this.
  37. onespartan

onespartan Initiate (186) Nov 1, 2008 Michigan

I'm curious the mark up from the distributor. Bo and Luke was only $15 at the brewpub in Louisville.

38. michman

michman Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2005 Illinois

there arent many beers worth that to me. plenty of other great beers to try much cheaper imo.

39. Pzellot

Pzellot Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2012 California

$17 a bomber comes to $51 for 66oz of beer. Add 6 more oz and you got yourself the equivalent of a six pack. Seems crazy to me. Plenty of other great IPAs to choose from. Sounds like "Citra Ass Down" before I tell you how much it is, wouldnt want you to pass out and bump your head.

RangnaR and WCKDVBZ like this.
  40. AndrewK

AndrewK Aspirant (272) Oct 20, 2006 California

Breweries do it because it means they only have to sign one contract, with the importer, and can then take advantage of the importer's distribution network that they already have in place, instead of having to choose and sign contracts with different distributors for each market that they want to get in to. The tradeoff is that higher price to the retailer, but it seems like they feel it is worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.