Civil Society - Summer 2016

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Thedrizzle, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Thedrizzle

Thedrizzle Defender (627) Sep 10, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Other thread was getting too big.
    This is for any new news on Civil society.
    I'll start this off by saying I was told they have enough pulp and fresh to only last another day or two. Sadly.

#1 Thedrizzle, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    HeartofMiami and manbearpack like this.
  2. HeartofMiami

HeartofMiami Champion (831) Sep 20, 2014 Florida
    Subscriber Beer Trader

3. manbearpack

manbearpack Disciple (345) Feb 10, 2013 Florida
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I hope there is another canning run later this month, Civil Society cans for 4th of July would be awesome. I would assume Juice may be one of the next things canned.

HeartofMiami likes this.
  4. Alieniloquium

Alieniloquium Poo-Bah (5,022) Dec 16, 2008 Florida
    Beer Trader

I vote for cans of DankStar.

5. Jroden5446

Jroden5446 Aspirant (211) Oct 7, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

THIS!!! And Emerald Showers!

timeyouwontgetback likes this.
  6. Thedrizzle

Beer Trader

Nelson hops are a hard get. However that would be tits.
    My next vote would be emerald & more fresh!

7. Bogart2930

Bogart2930 Initiate (140) Jul 11, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

I'm one for canned dankstar. My favorite civil brew.

timeyouwontgetback likes this.
  8. ELS

ELS Devotee (428) Apr 22, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

I know I'm in the minority, but I would like to see Lil' Juice canned. My favorite CS Beer.

flexmagli, CGMLS3, GW3 and 3 others like this.
  9. CBrodbeck

CBrodbeck Defender (648) Nov 1, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

Hey thats my picture! :) When I left yesterday, the lovely bartender informed me that only a "handfull" of each of the canned 4 packs remained. So get them while you can! (get it? can?)

HeartofMiami likes this.
  10. lethalchristy

lethalchristy Initiate (124) May 19, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

Hopefully going tonight to get some Pulp on draft (if it survives until then).

I hope they do more canning. Although apparently one of my faves from them is an underdog since noone mensions it: $eeing Green

11. GW3

GW3 Initiate (32) Mar 1, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

Went this afternoon. They still had a decent amount.

12. lethalchristy

Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Thedrizzle likes this.
  13. GW3

GW3 Initiate (32) Mar 1, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

How does this batch of Pulp compare to prior ones? Really enjoyed batch 1 and 3.

14. ELS

Beer Trader

Strangely enough, I had a pint of it on tap at the brewery while I was waiting in line for cans and I wasn't loving it. The next day however, I opened my first can and it was great. Much better than on tap. Not sure why that happened.

15. ELS

Beer Trader

I would say even better than batch 3. I never had batch 1.

GW3 likes this.
  16. Thedrizzle

Beer Trader

Cans are very close to b1.
    I thought it was crazy good on tap.

GW3 and lethalchristy like this.
  17. Cowboys9

Cowboys9 Aspirant (201) Jan 30, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

I was there last Saturday (not for the release but did stumble upon some leftover cans of Pulp). Emerald Showers is a straight hazy juice bomb. Loved that beer. They should can that one.

Thedrizzle likes this.
  18. lethalchristy

Beer Trader

Went last night and they were still selling cans. Grabbed a few more because why not?

Hopefully they can more beers soon. I can't get enough and love that it's only a couple miles from my house!

19. JD_Bogerdy

JD_Bogerdy Aspirant (218) Jan 12, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Best batch since the 1st one. This is batch 4 or 5 and batch 2 was the worst of em, so you've had most.

GW3 likes this.
  20. JerryIsAlive

JerryIsAlive Aspirant (297) May 30, 2012 Florida
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Heading up tomorrow for first time to try some brews and bring home crowler of Emerald. If they have cans leftover, that would be awesome! If you're there tn, lmk if cans of anything. Should be there close to open tomorrow

21. JerryIsAlive

Subscriber Beer Trader

Cans are still here

22. JerryIsAlive

Subscriber Beer Trader

4 cases of pulp, but I watched 7 packs walk out the door as I sit and enjoy Emerald

#22 JerryIsAlive, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  23. jkinzey

jkinzey Initiate (175) Aug 25, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

I'm really surprised cans have lasted a week, I thought they would sellout day of. I wonder how many cases of each they had to start.

24. JerryIsAlive

Subscriber Beer Trader

Bartender told me today 6 pallets, 3 of each.

25. -TK421-

-TK421- Initiate (145) Jun 4, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I tried Pulp earlier today and it was fantastic! Got a few more and some Fresh to try too.

26. LennyRubio

LennyRubio Initiate (165) May 31, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

was told pulp sold out today, some fresh still left

27. Jdub2839

Jdub2839 Aspirant (275) Mar 15, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

Pulp is pretty good, though I wish it was a bit more juicy. Fresh reminds me of brew hub Psuedo Sue

28. flexmagli

flexmagli Initiate (66) Jul 22, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

More juicy? Not sure what you were drinking but had it next to Julius, Heady and Sip of Sunshine over the weekend and you could barely taste any juiciness from those beers after drinking Pulp.

HeartofMiami likes this.
  29. Jdub2839

Jdub2839 Aspirant (275) Mar 15, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

30. KRG

KRG Disciple (327) Apr 25, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

With the cans having known issues (oxidation maybe?), it seems irresponsible for them to continue to sell cans unless they can assure people there aren't any problems. Below are my photos from yesterday. I was really looking forward to finally trying Pulp and seeing what it was all about. I don't think this is the case with every can but it seems to be with more than few (based on untappd and other sites) so it seems like cans shouldn't continue to be sold. Hope these guys figure out the problem and work it out. Looking forward to trying more of their beers in the future.

[​IMG]

Curmunchkin likes this.
  31. wingnutter

wingnutter Devotee (480) May 18, 2005 Florida
    Beer Trader

Yeah the oxidation is pretty common if you look at the pics on Untappd. The really fresh ones looked great and rated high (within 3-4 days of canning), but its just not holding up well in the cans at all. The ones I got were also pretty undercarbed, I long poured one tonight and there was barely a head on it. Maybe they should wait til they get their own canning line and skip the mobile unit for now unless they can figure it out and adjust the process.

I'm a huge fan of these guys and their beers, I'm not trying to put them down at all...they've set their own standard pretty high and I'd just hate for anyone to judge the beers based on this round of cans since they're not a true representation of how good they are IMO.

Thedrizzle likes this.
  32. jkinzey

jkinzey Initiate (175) Aug 25, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

Yeah I've noticed my cans are degrading really fast. Some are better than others but obviously there was an issue with the canning. It's a damn shame too because these cans are the first impression a lot of out of towners will have with Civil Society. Hopefully they get the kinks ironed out because they are making amazing beer.

#32 jkinzey, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  33. KRG

KRG Disciple (327) Apr 25, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Canning lines are expensive (I believe 250k-350k, maybe more) so I don't believe that's happening anytime soon. Mobile canning is fine if done right. There are plenty of breweries here in the NE that do it like Fiddlehead, Other Half, Carton, etc. It was the first shot at canning so I'm sure it will get better as time goes on.

34. Hops666

Hops666 Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2014 Michigan

Does CC do any distro at all? Ill be over by Sarasota next week and was wondering. Cheers.

35. MHorridge

MHorridge Aspirant (255) May 16, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Do you mean CS (Civil Society) or CC (Creature Comforts)?
    The answer for both is, Negative. I've never seen CS on the West Coast (i.e., never seen it in Tampa) except at a CCB special event.

36. Gp311

Gp311 Initiate (150) Sep 28, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Maybe he is referring to Cigar City? If that is the case then yes there are a variety of their beers in distro. But like ^ said, the others no dice..

37. Thedrizzle

Beer Trader

These guys are still fairly new and are going to experience growing pains. Even then off pulp is better then most ipas down this way.

wingnutter likes this.
  38. Curmunchkin

Curmunchkin Aspirant (201) Apr 15, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

I got a 4 pack of pulp and fresh in a trade. I cracked one of each last night. The pulp was great but definitely some oxidation on the fresh. Still tasted pretty good but I'm sure not a good representation, hoping the others are better.

39. MikeMoriendi

MikeMoriendi Aspirant (207) Jun 13, 2008 Florida

I'm a little confused by this. You say oxidation is pretty common if you look at pics on Untappd. Oxidation is not a visual issue but a taste issue. It's a stale/cardboard like flavor. Or are you saying that people posting on Untappd are saying they taste oxidized?

40. PurdueBrewCrew

PurdueBrewCrew Initiate (135) May 28, 2015 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Oxidation can most certainly be a visual issue with pale hoppy beers, resulting in them developing a more brown color than they were fresh. There's also sorts of "before and after" homebrew IPA pics out there that demonstrate this.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe