CO Barrel Aged Stouts

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by hawkbill721, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,168) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Jolly Pirate and Myrcenario were both pretty good. I'm a bigger fan of the straight-up oak notes in their Woodcut line, though. I'll give them credit for never raising the price on it, even if it is still a bit pricey. Back when they launched that line people thought they were nuts for charging $25-30. It isn't cheap, but it's no longer absurd.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  2. considerbeer

considerbeer Initiate (114) Dec 15, 2016 Colorado

It's called "dry-hopping," you complainer!

3. tylerstubs

tylerstubs Initiate (176) May 14, 2015 Colorado

I hit up crooked stave about some bad corks that fell into my beer when attempting to open them and got no response.

I've said before about odd13 taking care of me immensely for minor issues. Guess who's beer I buy way more of?

4. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Savant (938) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Bottle hopping is cutting edge though...

mewcow, ManBearPat and tylerstubs like this.
  5. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Devotee (401) Apr 29, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

BA Medianoche hitting the spot, no crowlers allowed :(

6. R3ason

R3ason Disciple (300) Aug 13, 2014 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Here's hoping it lasts the weekend. Was gonna be there today as well, but the stomach bug hit. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Jasonrm72 likes this.
  7. Jasonrm72

Beer Trader

BA Work from Home is pretty good. The barrel is pretty strong. I generally don't advocate for aging, but this one might need a bit to settle down so the other flavors can come out. Body is pretty solid on it.

8. R3ason

Beer Trader

Single Barrel Medianoche is definitely legit. Thought it couldn't get better than the coconut from the last release, but this one takes the cake.

roemmic1 and Jasonrm72 like this.
  9. JakeT469

JakeT469 Disciple (317) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

I personally liked the regular Work From Home better than the BA version. Like you said though, maybe the BA version needs a little age. Also, tried th Double Maple variant and that was completely over the top with the maple. Straight sugar bomb. I like some maple flavor in my beer but this was a completely different level of sweetness. Didn't even finish a taster of it.

Loved the Single Barrel Medianoche as well. Little hot/boozy right away but as it warmed everything mellowed out and it was damn near perfect.

R3ason likes this.
  10. Jasonrm72

Beer Trader

I grabbed a crowler of the regular Work From Home, but haven't actually tried it yet. By the time I got through the double maple, blueberry, BA and then a 4oz of double maple, that was that.
    That double maple is definitely a super maple sugar bomb. I liked it a lot, but yeah, diabetics should steer clear.

JakeT469 likes this.
  11. Canada_Dan

Canada_Dan Meyvn (1,011) Jun 14, 2013 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I think I posted somewhere on this thread about that first batch of Medianoche being my favorite CO BA stout to date. Had the pleasure of trying the single barrel version @WW on Friday, and damn is that a tasty beer. Lives up to my expectations in every way with amazing barrel character and a smooth chocolaty finish. Better than any adjunct BA stout they've made imo. Now we'll have to see how this batch of LotLB ages because it was definitely a contender for me, but a little more heat out of the gate.

Dan_K, roemmic1, JakeT469 and 3 others like this.
  12. Dan_K

Dan_K Disciple (382) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Single Barrel Medianoche was better to me than any previous version I have had. I'm not sure I can qualify why I felt that way, but it sure did impress us.

R3ason and Dan_Inreallife like this.
  13. Canada_Dan

Subscriber Beer Trader

Does it top your CO BA stout list overall? I don't remember if you had a previous take on Medianoche versus the field?

Dan_K likes this.
  14. raynmoon

raynmoon Defender (687) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Was able to get the last pour of Medianoche at WW today and wow was it good. Not sure if it was the single barrel version or not. I had never had a barrel aged beer from them and I am looking forward to a formal release sometime soon, hopefully with potential for crowlers and/or variants.

BTW, I was the 4th person in the door and it kicked right at 2:00pm. Good thing I left early.

Dan_K and Canada_Dan like this.
  15. Dan_K

Beer Trader

Honestly this years BATF and RBATF were phenomenal. Liquid brain was super smooth and balanced with heavy barrel. But single barrel Noche may have had the best flavor of them all. To me it was smoother and more balanced than prior versions. It's difficult to pick a winner.

Canada_Dan likes this.
  16. Dan_K

Beer Trader

He may come in to comment as well but Neil @Tarheel4985 said that in the future he wants to limit the amount of adjuncts that go into Medianoche. But said he's open to different barrels or even a double-barrel Medianoche. Said his experience at Hunahpuh Day really helped shape his opinion about the beers he wants to make going forward. Someone get this man some Apple Brandy barrels!

It was really need to get the tour/talk from him, learning about their plans moving forward.

Trythevealchild likes this.
  17. chitownfanatic21

chitownfanatic21 Initiate (186) Sep 25, 2016 Kansas
    Beer Trader

Thankfully it did last the weekend, and a little bit into Monday. I made it there by open yesterday and got the second to last pour on it, it was amazing. I loved the barrel notes on this beer. Hopefully they brew it again, it was a really good beer.

R3ason likes this.
  18. Tarheel4985

Tarheel4985 Initiate (84) Sep 14, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

We are still deciding what the Medianoche releases will look like this year, but seeing where this batch is after just 10 months in the barrels, we'll likely be focusing on releasing more of the base beer without adjuncts than we did last year. That's not to say that we won't do any adjunct versions, but we are so happy with where the base beer is that we'd hate to lose that character with too many adjuncts. Also, we will likely package another Single Barrel batch, maybe at 13 months since the one we released last weekend was 10 months, and maybe even a third at 16 months. Who knows?

We already have two different Double Barrel Medianoches aging, one started as bourbon then went into another fresh bourbon barrel after a year, the other started as bourbon and went into a fresh rum barrel after a year. So hopefully we'll have two different DB Medianoches next year.

19. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Aspirant (251) Mar 4, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

@Tarheel4985 Please tell me you'll release something with coconut in it...

20. Tarheel4985

Tarheel4985 Initiate (84) Sep 14, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

We shall see. If not with the current batch of Medianoche, which was aged in bourbon, then maybe with the rum barrel batch later in the year. But no promises...

21. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

Finally got around to opening my liquid brain. Decent beer, I wish it had more body. I am glad its not super bourbon forward, sometimes it's nice to taste the beer.

poonamibaxter likes this.
  22. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Aspirant (256) Jun 26, 2007 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I felt the same way. It was good but I was expecting to be blown away and that didn't happen.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  23. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Disciple (374) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Had a few delicious beers at wild woods yesterday, including the BA Black Smoke. As has been previously noted, its really tasty. Not sure how much they have left, so I'd get there sooner than later if you're interested.

Pretty thick, quite rich with lots of subtle vanilla notes and oak from the barrel... haven't tried the non-BA version so I'm not sure what I'm comparing it to. Either way, its delightful and I'm confident anyone who tries it will agree.

Jasonrm72 likes this.
  24. Jasonrm72

Beer Trader

Here's what I'll say about that... This past release wasn't as good as the previous 2 releases. Even though the body was still solid, the previous 2 were richer. They were also a bit sweeter, which also may have helped in the viscosity/feel department.
    Assuming the recipe was the same, now we're talking about barrel difference. This last release did use different barrels. I believe they were rye whiskey barrels as opposed to bourbon barrels. I do believe that this changed the beer. For one, less sweet (I enjoy sweet, especially bourbon sweet). I actually got a dry feel from this one that I did not get in the last 2.
    I still think it's a really good beer, but the previous 2 were WOW beers, even with a year on them, they still WOW'd. This is one was more "Hmmmm, that's good".

25. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

Fremont really screwed my palate up this year. Their beers have that huge mouthfeel, unlike most barrel aged beers, mentally I just set the bar too high.

ArrogantB and tylerstubs like this.
  26. Jasonrm72

Beer Trader

I've had a hard time finding LotLB info on previous releases, but I found a snippet saying 2014 was in whiskey barrels, not bourbon. But I couldn't find anything more specific than that.
    But still, I've found that rye barrels definitely change things up, and dry is one of those things

tylerstubs likes this.
  27. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Poo-Bah (3,024) Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Beer Trader

The Fremont Coffee Cinnamon Abominable was incredible this year.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  28. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

I missed out on coffee cinnamon again this year, but I.nabbed spice wars and rusty nail so it's ok I reckon.

29. raynmoon

Beer Trader

I was able to have all the variants this year and found that regular b bomb and kds were better than the flavored versions. The spices overwhelm what is already a really complex beer(s).still really good though.

tacosandbeer, ManBearPat and R3ason like this.
  30. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Disciple (374) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

B-Bomb was definitely my favorite of those I tried. Forgot about that- good call.

raynmoon and tylerstubs like this.
  31. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,000) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Tried Fremonts Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Star last night....that stuff was magical.

32. raynmoon

Beer Trader

Doesn't get much better than that. KDS and BBOMB are 10/10 great.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  33. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Disciple (385) Jan 7, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

This year's KDS tasted super young to me. Definitely thinking it needs some time. Comparatively, Bbomb and CCBomb have been fantastic. Regardless, Fremont's barrel program is clearly one of the best around. Would love to see more stuff of their quality from local breweries.

tylerstubs likes this.
  34. Jasonrm72

Beer Trader

Vladislav by Diebolt, which I believe is the rebranded Commodore, is pretty good this year. I've always thought it was good, but never outstanding. It still isn't going to change your BA Stout World, but I find this release better than the previous 2.
    I never did get my hands on any of the variants.

flat_lander likes this.
  35. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,168) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I enjoyed the Commodores I've had. Not really my style of choice, but it had a lot of flavor without tasting like whiskey-flavored stout. It's one of the rare BA stouts shooting for a bit more subtlety with the barrel notes.

36. TychoNDC

Beer Trader

Powder Keg has a special tapping of their barrel aged imperial stout, Twilight Rendezvous, on right now. I highly recommend people check it out. It's got fantastic, oak, vanilla, and cherry barrel characteristics. 14.8% but the alcohol is well hidden. It's definitely among my favorite BA stouts in Colorado.

Canada_Dan and Jasonrm72 like this.
  37. R3ason

Beer Trader

Draft only, I assume?

TychoNDC likes this.
  38. Canada_Dan

Subscriber Beer Trader

I believe it's being bottled for a future release and this was a sneak peek

TychoNDC and R3ason like this.
  39. TychoNDC

Beer Trader

Draft only for now. Will be bottled and released in the near future.

R3ason likes this.
  40. Bferber

Bferber Disciple (326) Apr 17, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Any chance there's any Legend of Liquid Brain sitting around anywhere? I'm an out of towner visiting tomorrow for a quick work trip. I had tried the last batch on a previous visit and thought it was phenomenal. Reading this thread sounds like the latest batch is a bit different, but would still love to try if there's any laying around. Thanks in advance.

tylerstubs likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe