CO Barrel Aged Stouts

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by hawkbill721, Mar 5, 2015.

1. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,148) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Last years tweak hit my sweet spot, and FBS hits it for me every year I have it. Tthe roast has to be there, almost in place of hop bitterness. Green pepper is never a good sign.

spoony likes this.
  2. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Disciple (319) Apr 29, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Fun fact: Avery does not have the new Tweak. Went to get some bottle on the way home from the FIDY release. Only '16 available.
    Available distro but not at the brewery? That's just stupid.

denver10 and SFACRKnight like this.
  3. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,185) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

So, this isn't Barrel Aged, but Great Divide has a new "Blonde Yeti" that is only available at Old Chicago. It looks pretty close to a golden ale, but it tastes a lot like a stout. I guess they're using nibs and coffee to reproduce the roasted barley flavors. I've had other "white" stouts and similar attempts before, but this might be the closest anyone has come to nailing that idea in my eyes.

4. Jasonrm72

Beer Trader

I thought Grist's was pretty good. The few others I've tried weren't bad, but were only meh overall

5. S26BC

S26BC Initiate (130) Sep 30, 2014 Colorado

Heads up: bottles of Station 26 Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Star and FOUR variants go on sale on Eventbrite today (Tuesday 11/14) at 10:00 am. The bottled variants are:

Bourbon BA Dark Star Imperial Stout
    Bourbon BA Almond Joy
    Bourbon BA Manhattan
    Bourbon BA Root Beer Float
    Port Barrel Aged Black Walnut

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/black-friday-invitational-tickets-38746517878

$20 per 22 oz bottle (+ Eventbrite fee of $3.16). Limit three bottles per variant.

6. Domingo

Beer Trader

Never had theirs. Is it a regular item or was it just a one-off? I've really only had their stuff at multi-tap places like Two Penguins and Peak to Peak.

7. Jasonrm72

Beer Trader

They do bottle it, but I've only had it on tap. So I can't say if the packaged product matches or not. Seems like a regular production, but I don't track Grist much since I'm never down there.

8. Jasonrm72

Beer Trader

It didn't crash, so that's a good start.
    Got mine reserved. Could be the wave of the future for bottle releases, though that means more and more beers will be over my $1/oz limit with the fees added and I'll be bowing out much more often.

ManBearPat and denver10 like this.
  9. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Aspirant (257) Mar 4, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Don't you mean 9 AM? I just bought mine.

10. JakeT469

JakeT469 Disciple (362) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Anyone going to the HBM/Vanilla HBM release at Cerebral on Saturday?

CerebralBrewing likes this.
  11. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (433) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Planning on stopping by for a bit... gonna be in the big city anyway. Mainly for their IPAs. Certainly wouldn’t find me in line at 9am though. If the draft is still pouring when I’m there I’m sure I’ll have to get one :wink:

12. Jasonrm72

Beer Trader

It is a delicious beer, I still have a couple bottles from the last HBM release. But that line last time broke me. Initially the line made a jump then I literally didn't move an inch for 15 minutes. And of course the Vanilla was long gone. Come to find out I could have skipped the line, got vanilla on tap and still got bottles of the regular.
    I made the decision right then that I'm done with the whole wait in line for hours for a "maybe" shot at a beer.
    But damn, is it a great beer

13. stevefenster

stevefenster Initiate (178) Mar 29, 2016 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Yessir

CerebralBrewing and JakeT469 like this.
  14. bentnorton

bentnorton Initiate (175) Apr 21, 2015 Colorado
    Beer Trader

This might be an unpopular opinion, but was anyone else slightly underwhelmed by HBM? To be fair, I have not had any of the vanilla. However, I just cracked a bottle of the regular last weekend, and while very good, I'm not sure it was above $1 per ounce good (particularly in this saturated market). To each their own though.

ArrogantB likes this.
  15. wordupmagazine

wordupmagazine Initiate (32) Dec 17, 2014 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I had it on tap at the Trophy Hunt release and was underwhelmed.

ArrogantB and bentnorton like this.
  16. Jasonrm72

Beer Trader

The new bottling phase is 500ml for $20. Seen it a couple times now.

bentnorton likes this.
  17. cmgray03

cmgray03 Initiate (162) Dec 28, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I feel that way about most of Cerebral's offerings. They make good beer, but they're nowhere near the level in which they're hyped.

bentnorton and clusterfolk like this.
  18. Jasonrm72

Beer Trader

I'll have to pop one into the fridge for this weekend, because I loved it at release.

19. Jasonrm72

Beer Trader

Even if I miss HBM, I hope to get to try the imperial coffee stout they're also releasing. Don't know it it's the same beer or not, but Forever Awake was fantastic

CerebralBrewing and Spaceman_Jer like this.
  20. JakeT469

Beer Trader

Pretty stoked for the HBM release this wknd. Missed the last release cuz I was out of town but had a very generous friend snag me 2 bottles. Have never had the Vanilla but here nothing but good things. The Imperial coffee Stout they're releasing as well sounds delicious.

21. Prospero

Prospero Savant (953) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I'm just laughing because their vanilla BA stout is $20... where's the ++++$$$texas due to vanilla prices !?!?!

22. ManBearPat

Deets on the imperial coffee stout?

That’s way more intriguing than the HBMonsters

CerebralBrewing and raynmoon like this.
  23. JakeT469

Beer Trader

Coming in at 10.5%, PEACE BE THE JOURNEY is an Imperial Coffee Stout that we brewed with our friends at Horus Aged Ales. It was conditioned on Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee that was custom roasted for this beer with Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Beans. $15/bottle limit 3 per person. You do not have to stand in line for this beer. This bottle can be purchased at the bar starting at noon - or it will be available with other bottles in line starting at 11am

CerebralBrewing and ManBearPat like this.
  24. ManBearPat

Thanks @JakeT469 ... found some other info saying its going to be $1/oz. That’s insane for a coffee stout... I’m sure it has that solid gold vanilla beans in it, but still. Sante Fe Java Stout is a 0.13/oz... not a soul will convince me its 1/10 of the beer that Cerebrals is.

poonamibaxter likes this.
  25. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (440) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Eh, if you don't like it, don't buy it. But comparing it to SF Java stout isn't a great comparison. SF Java is 8%, this is 10.5%. It's well documented that real vanilla beans are extremely expensive right now ($300-400 /lb) and third- Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee is some of the best stuff in the world, so it's not like they are using Folgers crystals. From what I can see, it's $40-50/lb. I am not upset about the price, it feels in-line with a lot of similar offerings. And if it's anything like some of the other imperial stouts that Cerebral has made, it'll be quite tasty.

26. ManBearPat

Gonna be stopping by at some point so I’ll certainly grab a pour.. haven’t had any of they stouts so I clearly don’t know what I’m talking bout hahahah

27. JakeT469

Beer Trader

20ish ppl in line at Cerebral fyi.

28. JakeT469

Beer Trader

For anyone wondering, all the tix for Vanilla HBM have been handed out.

29. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Aspirant (284) Sep 24, 2010 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

And for anyone wondering, Peace Be The Journey is sold out.

#1509 tacosandbeer, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  30. JakeT469

Beer Trader

HBM and Vanilla HBM are both incredible! Great Bourbon presence without being overly boozy/hot. Little thin on the body but I can deal with that when the beer tastes that good. Vanilla was very prominent as was the Bourbon. Great release day all around by the staff at Cerebral and the patrons in attendance.

#1510 JakeT469, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  31. rscot231

rscot231 Initiate (187) Mar 11, 2008 Colorado
    Industry Beer Trader

Good news/bad news.

Bad news first: Odd13 will not be releasing cans to go of either Saint Newcole variant on Black Friday. The beer tastes great, but our lab (thanks Amanda!) is suggesting that the beer has the potential to be less stable than we would like if it sits in someone's cellar for a while.

The good news is that the beer tastes great as it is, and we will be selling single cans for on-site consumption. We just want to be able to monitor the flavor profile daily and pull it if the flavor profile take a turn for the worse. This will also likely have the side effect of causing the beer to last beyond Black Friday. And last, I'm happy we caught this before allowing the beer to leave the premises.

One last note on this: this is not a "new" problem. As many of you probably know, we recalled quite a bit of beer over the summer because of the presence of wild yeast. Saint Newcole was brewed last winter, before we even knew about the wild yeast issues. This issue seems to be related, although it dates to a period when the wild yeast problem was not yet diagnosed. This beer is interesting because it doesn't exhibit the flavors we have seen in other beers when this particular wild yeast takes over - perhaps it is stunted by the presence of high alcohol. Regardless, we are taking no chances. We will sell the beer for consumption in the taproom as long as it tastes good, and we will stop if it ever doesn't.

32. FlyFishStout

FlyFishStout Initiate (129) Oct 19, 2015 Colorado

Picked up a bottle of triple barrel baptist for the weekend. What are everyone's thoughts on it?

Jasonrm72 and wyoming like this.
  33. wyoming

wyoming Devotee (459) Sep 4, 2007 Wyoming
    Premium Member

Triple baptist is a good beer ..good balance and mouthfeel ..way better than baptista

34. Jasonrm72

Beer Trader

If you're a BBB fan already, I can't imagine you not really liking/loving the Triple BBB. I found it to have a little more body than the original with about the same amount of bourbon presence. The coconut is there but I wouldn't count on it still being there if aged for anything more than 6mo

35. flat_lander

flat_lander Zealot (554) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Sweet. Because my brother just texted me that he grabbed a bottle of this today and is bringing it home for Christmas.

This and Baptista hit shelves by me in IL on 11/16. They were $15.99 and $18.99 respectively. Drank my Triple BBB last night. That is one hell of a beer! Saw it came from the Denver facility too. Very nicely done. Love the way the coconut and rum play together.

FWIW, drank my '16 Baptista last month with some friends. No issues at all. Still tons of cinnamon. Some of my friends mistook it for peppers at first.

JakeT469 and tylerstubs like this.
  36. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,148) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Baptista and double barrel are truth, can't wait to try bbbbbb.

JakeT469, tylerstubs and flat_lander like this.
  37. Jasonrm72

Beer Trader

S26 BA Darkstar still on tap, no variants or guest beers.
    I'm definitely all in on Dark Star. Though I'm riding the line on bottle cost, $23 for the 22oz, BUT I didn't have to wait in line

38. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (440) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Loveland Ale Works has a keg of port barrel aged imperial stout. Very nice flavours, good body, good balance. I bought a crowler.

ManBearPat likes this.
  39. Domingo

Beer Trader

2017 Brain, ya'll. Get you some.

tylerstubs, wyoming and ManBearPat like this.
  40. Prospero

Prospero Savant (953) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

$20/500ml is that right?

tylerstubs likes this.