College beers: When, where & what?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by twizzard, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,914) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Kegs of Miller/Bud, then Miller Lite/Bud Lite when they came out. After classes it was 40's of whatever we found cheapest. When I want to flash back to college I will grab a 40 with a friend and get 2 styrofoam cups and split it. It takes me back

2. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (813) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Mid 1980's Philly. Lots of Meister brau, old mildew, stroh 30 packs schmidts , OE 40's , red bull 40's, grenade top Mickeys, rolling rock and on and on. Yuengling was expensive compared to these. 1986 I was in the UK and Beer changed for me and the Khyber was my beer heaven when I had money. The week after they reopened and all bottles were $1 was insane. I wish I knew all I had and could really appreciate all those dusty old bottles. Punk rock and great beer , life is grand.

Enjoy

3. dutesanch

dutesanch Disciple (352) Apr 22, 2014 California
    Trader

Fresno State! A lot of jack-n-cokes and ALOT of Bud light.

4. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Meyvn (1,056) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Mickeys. St Ides. Bud & Coors Light out of the beer bong. Natural light & ice. Truth be told. Much more 420 than beer those days.

5. wrentmore

wrentmore Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2013 Indiana

Little Kings , funny how I will now pay more for a 4 pack than I did for a case back then .

DrStiffington and twizzard like this.
  6. TheWolf

TheWolf Disciple (348) May 26, 2015 Delaware

Univ. of Delaware '96 - '00. Beast, Natty Light, 30 packs of red dog, and Yuengling. and lots of jameson/guiness irish car bombs.

Hockey_Fan and bluehende like this.
  7. BrewUrbanist

BrewUrbanist Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Wisconsin

Early 2000's at University of Iowa - Keystone Light led the charge for us.

8. EnthusedAboutBeer

EnthusedAboutBeer Zealot (583) May 13, 2013 New Jersey

I'm currently entering my final year of college (I'm 22 going on 23, took a year off). I got into craft beer at the age of 20 and haven't bought much macro beer since aside from maybe the occasional yuengling or pbr. I spend way too much money on beer and I'm pretty much poor like the average college guy, but delicious beer makes it all okay.
    I do fear how much cash I'll spend on beer in the future when I have a full time job and more disposable income :confused:

utopiajane likes this.
  9. Kubishark

Kubishark Disciple (399) Jun 26, 2015 Maryland

I'm still in college and the go-to cheap beer here amongst my particular crowd at the moment seems to be Miller High Life. Being Maryland of course there's plenty of National Bohemian as well. Yuengling for those with a little more to spend. All kinds of Flying Dog for those with even more to spend.

10. HopBroker

HopBroker Disciple (373) Jun 5, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Currently a Junior in college (rather not say which college[edit: bm me if you have to know]) and if I'm looking for a craft beer on a budget I'll get a ~24 pack of Deschutes. If I'm just looking for a buzz late on a Friday night I'll get a 40 lol. I avoid any AB-InBev beers unless they're being given to me :wink:

11. mooseisloose

mooseisloose Meyvn (1,305) Nov 16, 2005 Florida

Old Milwaukee (millionaires) and Blatz something like Molsons or even Miller Lite was a luxery

12. Rilesmiles

Rilesmiles Devotee (456) Aug 20, 2013 Wisconsin

Madison, WI

PBR, naturally, as a born and raised Milwaukeean.

Has it really been 2 years since graduation???

13. thatoneguymike

thatoneguymike Meyvn (1,148) Sep 18, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

Graduated in 2002. There was plenty of Natty Light to go around, but we swore by Southpaw Light. Coors Reg when we were feeling fancy ;D

14. MA_hops

MA_hops Aspirant (295) May 18, 2015 Vermont

Grad school in Boston at the moment.... Trillium baby!!!!

15. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,064) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Freshman at The University of Richmond 1969, playing basketball and having a blast!. We bought Ballantine Beer at Standard Drug for $.79 a six pack and just didn't care how bad it was. We splurged on Lowenbrau draft at Lums down at VCU, and we later discovered Ringnes from Norway that was cheap and pretty good.

16. spedprof

spedprof Disciple (313) Dec 13, 2011 West Virginia

1992-1996- West Virginia University- Natural Light

BodiesLexus and DoctorZombies like this.
  17. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (2,312) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society

Mid 80s. Meisterbrau and Milwaukee's best, usually around 4 something a 12 pack, along with Sixer's of Blatz for $1.69

utopiajane and DoctorZombies like this.
  18. DougC123

DougC123 Disciple (345) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

Great question.
    1984-1988
    Rutgers
    Milwaukee's Best was the easiest and cheapest and we didn't know any better.

DoctorZombies likes this.
  19. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,794) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Bud mostly, but also Old Mil, PBR, Falstaff.

utopiajane likes this.
  20. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,268) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Where: Michigan
    When: Late 00's, early 10's
    What: Mostly Busch Light and Keystone because it was the cheapest and I could drink a lot of it. Started nights with what I would classify as macro craft such as DFH 60, SNPA, and Sam Adams (I'm from the Boston area). I didn't drink much of the Michigan craft beers, which I'm pissed at myself for not doing. The obsession with Oberon in those parts was a turn off from trying Bell's stuff. Can't believe I drank 60 instead of Two Hearted. I didn't know any better.

21. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (521) Sep 3, 2013 New York

NYU '96 - '00. Lots of Rolling Rock, Fosters, Red Elephant, Bud 40oz (drank a lot of these since they were the cheapest at the bodega), and some Sierra Nevada.

22. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Savant (923) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina

'95-2001 to get my BS and MS at Clemson University...I drank a lot of Newcastle, McEwans and Highland Oatmeal Porter when I had the money and Miller High Life when I didn't.

23. jsrose16

jsrose16 Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2014 Illinois

Western Illinois
    2007'-11'
    Keystone Light most of the time. Used to do the pick 6 from time to time, but I can't pinpoint anything special. I would also look for cheap off brands as well, just for kicks. Cases of Beer 30, Stag, Red Dog, Game Day.

statikp likes this.
  24. jefftennis

jefftennis Initiate (120) Oct 6, 2009 Pennsylvania

Early 80's. Genny Cream Ale, Schmidts, Strohs and Rolling Rock pony bottles.

DoctorZombies likes this.
  25. italynstallyn44

italynstallyn44 Initiate (57) Jan 29, 2011 New Jersey

2000-2004 NJIT. Miller Lite, Beast, or 40's of Olde E and Steel Reserve.

26. alex_delany

alex_delany Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2015 New York

2010-2014 (yeah, recently), TCNJ. Kegs ($60) and 30 Racks ($15) of Keystone Light was the move for cheap beers, but our local discount liquor warehouse did random twelve packs of craft bottles for $12. It's a deal that I still can't believe exists.

I feel as though the beer scene in college is changing though. Halfway through my Freshman year, I had a bunch of stuff from Victory, and it was never the same after that. Our move would be picking up mix-sixes, local six packs, or the aforementioned random 12 packs to hang on at our house. In our friend group at least, craft beers were just as prominent as the cheap stuff. I feel as though with the variety and accessibility of craft today, it's a completely different situation than even a decade ago. I know my dad had like three beers he would rotate between, solely because that's all there was in his college town.

I got to try a lot of beer in college, and I think that hasn't really been possible until recently.

DrStiffington likes this.
  27. mattosgood

mattosgood Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2014 Massachusetts

2000-2004, Western Massachusetts, mostly Pabst kegs.

28. borto1ms

borto1ms Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2013 Michigan

Central Michigan
    1995 - 2000
    30 packs of Milwaukee's Best for 8.99 at Krogers. Or, whatever was on special at Old Mission. On special occasion, we would spend a few bucks and get a few Oberon's, but for the most part, the Beast was in the fridge.

29. msween21

msween21 Initiate (179) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

Worcester, MA 2002. Natty Ice, Busch. Treated ourselves with Harpoon.

30. McMatt7

McMatt7 Disciple (348) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

2005-2008, Slippery Rock University, started at 22, graduated at 25, lots of Straub, SNPA, Pabst, and North Country Brewery was right downtown. Good times.

Sheppard likes this.
  31. Mojo

Mojo Champion (804) Jul 21, 2012 Alabama

Late 1970s - Early 1980s
    East Carolina University

Started out drinking Miller High Life, then branched out to PBR, Schlitz, Strohs (which always seemed to be on sale for $2.29 a six pack), and that crisp distinct beechwood aged goodness that is the King of Beers. Never cared for lite beer much.

Out of the ordinary beer for then was Lowenbrau Dark, Tuborg Gold, Heineken Dark, Grolsch, and I once had a Guinness which was the strongest tasting thing I had ever tried to drink at the time.

It is worth mentioning that we considered Coors to be the white whale. It wasn't distributed east of the Mississippi at the time and a huge mystique had developed surrounding it, probably due to the influence of Smokey and the Bandit. Alas it eluded me until around 1983 when it began to be distributed in North Carolina.

BodiesLexus and DoctorZombies like this.
  32. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (489) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Busch Lite. In half's and racks. Illinois State.

33. SonictheBeerhog

SonictheBeerhog Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

Anything stone!

34. Hesscabob

Hesscabob Aspirant (225) Mar 16, 2014 Illinois

NIU Go Huskies!
    I was on our house's board so I threw parties and bought the typical - Kegs of Miller/Bud, a bunch of mix drinks, but then I persuaded my fellow board that we needed a stash of board beers - Thats when we started buying bombers of Ale Smith, Stone, 6ers and 12ers of Founders, Victory, Bells, Goose... the switch to craft in my house began that year

35. dsmil

dsmil Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2009 Maryland

Univ. of Delaware
    2005-2009

Keystone Light was the drink of choice for our parties...it went down like water and was $11 for a 30 pack. I did get into craft beer during junior/senior year with some Dogfish, Sierra Nevada, and Sam Adam's, but never broke those out during parties.

Hockey_Fan likes this.
  36. SRBush1974

SRBush1974 Aspirant (279) Apr 18, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

West Chester University (about 30 min outside Philly)
    '92-97 (Don't knock the 5 year plan...was having too much fun)

Natty Light, Beast, Golden Anny Ice, Molson XXX (when we went skiing to canada), Icehouse, Plenty of Yuengling, Honey Brown, Pete's Wicked, Mickey's occasionally, Rolling Rock. Basically whatever we could get. Oh yeah, A LOT of Jager!

BodiesLexus likes this.
  37. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (168) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

Emerson 2001-2005. Lot of Busch, Bud Light, Corona and whatever was on sale at Marty's on Comm Ave (I remember getting cases of some off-brand honey brown for like 50 cents a bottle).

38. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,175) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

I drank a lot of Stroh's Signature, Molson, and Labatt's in the early 80's while attending art school in Detroit.

39. VincentFrey

VincentFrey Aspirant (223) Jul 30, 2011 Maryland

2008 - 2012. Flying Dog, Miller High Life, and whatever Tommy's Pizza would tap senior year.

That said, we had plenty of fancy beers from craft loving housemates, but I drank a lot more Bitch and High Life than anything else.

40. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,477) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

West Virginia University (Morgantown) 1977 to 1987. We used to buy Blatz by the case in the early days and stack several to use as an end table. Before that, one could go to the local quickie mart and buy a quart of Stroh's and a pack of smokes and get change back from your dollar...

dcotom, utopiajane and BodiesLexus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.