News Constellation Brands Acquires Texas' Four Corners Brewing

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by jesskidden, Jul 10, 2018.

1. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,303) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

From Brewbound:
    Constellation Brands Acquires Texas’ Four Corners Brewing

drtth and Bitterbill like this.
  2. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (226) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

rgordon, cjgiant, BayAreaJoe and 19 others like this.
  3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,569) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Maybe it should be labeled:

FOUR SALE
    Four the right price!

Cheers!

flaskman and Bitterbill like this.
  4. zid

zid Champion (846) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

That's the funniest thing I've seen here in a long time. I did a double take when I saw who posted it - I'm more accustomed to you quoting long passages from historic texts. :wink:

Bitterbill and flaskman like this.
  5. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Disciple (306) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

25k annually isn't overly large compared to some other acquisitions. It's around where some of new Mexico's largest are.

It seems like the big guys are aiming a touch lower at breweries that are truly emerging in their home markets. I know four peaks was a bit established. And golden road just exploded out of the gate.

Definitely feels like big beers goal is to own at least one brewery in every major metro area

Onto supporting the next one who now needs our help. The press release just hit me the wrong way. Same crap. Different day. What's this 'we' stuff lol. It's theirs now buddy. What's this partnership bs? They wholly own you. I don't care if the beers stay the same, we aren't helping the local guys become big time. Like I said, onto making the next Brewers dreams come true.

#5 Oktoberfiesta, Jul 11, 2018 at 1:06 AM
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 1:14 AM
  6. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (362) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

The mexican lager thing has worked out for constellation so far, but do people really care if a hispanic person designs or brews their craft beer? Just seems like a weird thing to consider when buying a brewery. I haven't heard boo about four corners on here. Is their beer that good, or is this just marketing with diversity in mind? I doubt any of it will make it this far north, so I'll probably never find out myself.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  7. Oktoberfiesta

Beer Trader

Their core ipa has a 3.68 rating on here. That’s an okay score. Anymore to stay competitive, I’ve seen breweries need to have that 3.8-4.10 core ipa. But that’s not always the case

100% marketing. I know a few local beers that sell well that shouldn’t from a rating perspective. It’s what gives hope to thousands of new breweries. Finding that niche and just making money and selling out.

Lahey likes this.
  8. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,619) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Not sure about Dallas, but I don't see it moving on the shelves here in Houston. I honestly have never seen it on tap in a bar or restaurant here. 25K barrels, where the hell are they selling that?

9. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (213) Nov 6, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

I don't care about the hispanic theme but it can make them stand out.

I really like the brewery.
    Local Buzz is high on my list whenever it's on tap at any bar I go to. I don't think I've bought it in cans but it is one of the most flavorful blonde ales I've had.
    Heart o' Texas has also been a favorite of mine, it is a moderately hoppy red ale.
    Sol y Luna is one of the few lagers that I really enjoy from the North Texas area (I love ones from the Austin area but generally I don't think the lagers up here are any good.)

I don't remember the last time I've had El Chingon or most of their other beers.

Lahey likes this.
  10. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (362) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Yeah, the hispanic theme wouldn't draw me or deter me, but I guess there are plenty hispanic people that may give them their business in a show of solidarity. I understand that. Good to know they at least have some decent beers, that should be the driving force in the beer scene imo. Marketing comes second in my eyes, but so many companies successfully market a turd it's hard to know what's what lately.

11. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,303) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Note - "25k" is the (potential) capacity of the brewery. The Brewers Association estimated their barrelage for 2017 at 11,560 bbl., making them the 52nd largest "microbrewery" (using their definition of under 15k) in the US - so, around the same size as Von Trapp, Lazy Magnolia and Newburyport.

Bitterbill and donspublic like this.
  12. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (442) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

Just avoid Four Loko, Constellation... it's not worth it to satisfy your OCD

Lahey and gardenstatepkwy like this.
  13. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,379) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

Seems like these things happen more and more these days. Guess AZ will be seeing these beers on our shelves down the road.

14. Oktoberfiesta

Beer Trader

We’ve hit the point of desensitization. Maybe a dozen comments on their fb page after their announcement. A couple more Twitter comments. It truly feels like only AB InBev is seen as the ugly rotten big bad wolf. Coors and constellation can do whatever it appears. Heineken gets a bit of back lash but nothing like AB InBev.

Most comments I see are of consumers being happy that their local brewery was seen as worthy enough for a buy out and now their beers can be everywhere. No real thought about ownership and where their money gets funneled back to.

Interesting mindsets from various parts of the USA when stuff like this happens. Some regions seem to have their pitch forks ready, while other areas are more laid back. Then again it just may be more and more people not caring as much as a whole. Like I mentioned prior, I see a future where big beer will have ownership in atleast one brewery in every metro area in America. If they can’t oveetske craft beer, they can atleast siphon off a successful breweries profits.

15. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,379) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I think a lot of people dislike any buyout by the big boys, we just see so many the blowback is diminishing. There is not a lot anyone can do, if a company wants to sell out and take the cash they are going to do it. From the standpoint of the big guys they want to control things so that is what they intend to do. Now the game is to blur the lines between what is craft and what big beer craft. Most consumers walk down the isle and see a cool can with trendy art and think wow nice craft beer. They never know its owned by the same guys down on the other side in 30 packs, and that is what they want. People are lazy by nature, most are never going to take the time to research beer, they grab what looks good and head to their party and the big boys love it.