Controversial Beer Opinions (Round Two)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TrashMax, Jun 8, 2020.

1. TrashMax

TrashMax Initiate (37) Jun 6, 2020 New Jersey

I detest flavored beers. Bet it coffee or chocolate or even pumpkin beer/ale's it'd literally have to be the last (or probably next to last) beers for me to pick them up voluntarily.

So many friends of mine love them and I've tried many a sample, but somehow I prefer the "default" flavor.

*gets ready for abuse* :stuck_out_tongue:

So do you have unusual/unpopular/controversial views?

mickyge, Purp1eOne, rclangk and 10 others like this.
  2. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,116) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

So you don’t like adjuncts. That’s a beer nerd position I can respect. Given that position, what are your thoughts on Reinheitsgebot?

hottenot, Ozzylizard and woemad like this.
  3. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Champion (800) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

I can fire off 5 right now!

1. I despise lactose in beer

2. Barrel-aged imperial stouts are better

3. Wild ales and lambic are the two best styles in existence

4. Lagers are totally work trading for

5. West Coast and New England-style hoppy beers, while different, are equal.

Get your pitchforks!

4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,537) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Ah, you mean beer that tastes like beer? Well, that 'works' for me.

I suppose we could have a 'contest' here? Which beverage will be around 2-3 decades from now? Beers that taste like beer? Or beverages that taste like flavorings (e.g., coffee, vanilla, cinnamon, fluff, snickerdoodles, etc.)?

Cheers!

5. TrashMax

It's not a comprehensive view, honestly. I used to love weisbier (assuming we consider wheat as adjunct), though I prefer the dunkel version much more. Similarly use of orange peel lemon etc I do find complimentary as long as they are muted and doesn't become the primary flavor. Stuff like Chocolate, coffee I take exception to.

If a person likes the adjuncts so much, they should switch to a cocktail imo.

hottenot, MrOH, Amendm and 2 others like this.
  6. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,369) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I agree and/or understand your feelings on each except for number 2. Pitch forks out for number 2. BA Imperial Stouts can be great. And they can be better. But they are not always better than stouts that saw no barrel.

7. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,116) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

As our friend @JackHorzempa says so well, I like beer that tastes like beer, so a lot of the fruited beers are not something I seek very often, like the New Glarus fruited beers. I appreciate the fact that they’re made well, but they taste more like Kool-Aid to me.

Yet some beers with fruit (anyone remember Grapefruit Sculpin?) are beers I appreciate and do seek, so there’s a bit of a dichotomy.

And don’t get me started on big stouts with cacao nibs. Love ‘me, bit I also love chocolate, so I can swing to the other side of Reinheitsgebot, too.

hottenot, TZanghi34 and Amendm like this.
  8. DiUr

DiUr Initiate (196) Aug 14, 2014 Spain

American craft suddenly 'discovering' and owning hops (the bitter factor) in beer is a funny one, but I am maybe too drunk to go further on this.

#8 DiUr, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  9. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (110) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

Does nobody remember that epic 100+ page thread that was a mainstay for at least a year?

10. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Devotee (423) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

London Calling kinda sucks.

Wait... wrong website.

11. mikeyv35

mikeyv35 Zealot (557) Oct 15, 2008 New York
    Trader

Sure, I detest most new beers and new breweries that have flooded the market. All you get nowadays are copycat beers and beers that all seem to taste the same, everyone’s IPA and hazy IPA taste alike.

I miss the unique ones that when you acquired them you truly got the opportunity to taste something special,

Wooden Hell
    Kate The Great
    Darklord
    Surly Darkness
    Alpine Great
    Cantillon (still not ever duplicated, but available anytime on the shelf)
    Heady Topper
    Pliny The Elder
    Double Sunshine

Now I understand I’m being nostalgic, but I just haven’t had a beer in a long time that really rocked my world!

*I guess this is what happens when too many people come to the party.

hottenot, micada, DCH and 6 others like this.
  12. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Champion (800) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

That one is very much a "me" opinion. I've never been a fan of non barrel-aged imperial stouts. Now, I love traditional stouts/porters, dry Irish stouts, English stouts, and other small stouts, but when it comes to big, high ABV imperial stouts, I tend to not care for them unless there's a barrel component. Something about it just doesn't feel right without oak character. Not sure why. I guess that's the controversy of it!

hottenot and TheGent like this.
  13. zid

zid Meyvn (1,179) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Not liking pumpkin beers? C'mon. You people really need to work on your attempts at controversy. :slight_smile: Go for the jugular.

Rochefort 10 reminds me of tequila.
    Rochefort 6 reminds me of bad medicine.
    I'd rather drink an Olde English 800 than a Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout.
    American IPAs are best when dispensed as cask ale.

Have at it.

14. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,957) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

We get too used to a level of variety and greatness that is hard to improve. Those beers all shined when we first had them because of how much they out-shined what we were used to drinking.

I guess my own controversial opinion is, with exception of Cantillon Stl Lam and Fou, and Alpine Great, the rest of the beers on your list have been far outshined by more modern takes on those styles, and the scene now is so much better than it was back then when it comes to acquiring beer (Cantillon the exception) it isn't even a serious question, in my mind.

15. JerzDevl2000

JerzDevl2000 Poo-Bah (3,624) Oct 7, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

I love Genesee Cream, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Fat Tire, and Miller High Life!

thatoneguymike, hottenot, DCH and 8 others like this.
  16. Skeeter17

Skeeter17 Aspirant (244) Dec 13, 2016 Washington
    Society Trader

Macro produced beers catch more hate than they should. They have a time and a place, and many are good for their style.

Also, lactose in beer should be a sin.

mactrail, hottenot, Brook82 and 8 others like this.
  17. Skeeter17

Society Trader

You’re right, most of the time.

If you can, get your hands on Dark Horse Plead the 5th and BBA Pt5. Report back with which you think is better!

18. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,128) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

So, is this basically just the "Controversial beer opinions" thread being revived?

AlcahueteJ, tinoynk, Amendm and 8 others like this.
  19. TrashMax

Different controversies :sunglasses:

mactrail, DCH, hopsputin and 5 others like this.
  20. neenerzig

neenerzig Poo-Bah (2,638) Feb 15, 2006 Ohio
    Society

Most hazy IPAs are crap. At least the ones that I've tried just were not good beers. Traditional IPAs and DIPAs run circles flavor profile wise around hazy any day.

Eric

21. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (139) Dec 6, 2014 California

People who like milkshake IPAs and smoothie style kettle sours are just wrong.

22. Skeeter17

Society Trader

I want to agree with you because I prefer solid old school DIPAs, but I think this can be said about either style, depending on what you’ve drank.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  23. ClePaul

ClePaul Zealot (581) May 30, 2013 Ohio

While I will drink them and overall I think they are ok to medium good. Most are flat, sour and not a good bitter... I'm floored that it took over as the clear number one (at least umoungst most hipsters and front running neck beards) I just cant believe the hype/popularity of this style. Boggles my mind.

*When they are good, they are great... But what style isn't?
    Flood the market with say.... a Helles for example, and I would love 15 or 20 of them as well.

24. hbbeeremptor

hbbeeremptor Initiate (144) Aug 12, 2018 California
    Society

Some WCIPAs are just as bad and unimaginative as some hazy IPAs.

25. mikeyv35

Trader

I definitely see you side on the matter and maybe your right. I guess back then we were more easily wowed as those beers were that much better than what we had been drinking prior. And now the bar is so high and we have tasted so many amazing beers over the years, so not much room to go up.

Yes Dave, with the exception of Cantillon acquiring great beer is much easier nowadays with widespread distribution. Never thought I would be buying Toppling Goliath and Lawson’s beers on the shelf in NJ, which is awesome. Even though I do kinda miss the challenge of tracking down the big ones.

As I agree you on ease of access and the quality that’s out there now, I have to disagree on the scene being better. Had a lot of great times at releases and in a tight knit scene of the past that is no more.

It was great to hear from you brother and I hope all is well! Have to talk more.

cavedave likes this.
  26. mikeyv35

Trader

Although Dave, I will say, a beer I just had in the can that pleasantly surprised me is Juice Bomb from Sloop. Excellent beer that is very well crafted and is true to its name. I’ve been drinking the hell out of it lately.

cavedave likes this.
  27. Dansac

I think 3 Fonteinen Gueuze and Kriek are superior than Cantillon's base Gueuze and Kriek.

cavedave, dewski312, eppCOS and 6 others like this.
  28. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,379) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

My guy just dropped the gauntlet out here lol

29. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (90) Nov 5, 2019 Canada

1) I despise, detest, loathe and have severe ill will toward pumpkin beers.

2) Lining up for hours to buy beer is a sure sign you need to work on other areas of your life.

3) I dislike long winded reviews of beer. It’s not a PhD thesis, it’s liquid in a glass.

4) Barrel aging is overrated and a way for brewers to scam you on price.

5) Westvleteren 12 is overrated and over priced relative to its peers.

Eddiehop, DCH, bmugan and 9 others like this.
  30. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,379) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

I’ll sound like a hater but I don’t personally care for all the puns, bright colors and cartoons on beer labels. I’m not down for censorship fuck censorship but not sure how it can be meanwhile joe camel is gone.

I just prefer simplicity.

Eddiehop, traction, Mvsmvs92 and 6 others like this.
  31. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,193) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

This thread has been done so many times it makes my head hurt. It also makes my head hurt to think of new ways of saying that. Can we have a thread called Banal/Repetitive Opinions about Beer and find the Venn diagram between the two? I bet the overlap would be amazing.

32. JLK7299

JLK7299 Meyvn (1,198) Apr 21, 2016 North Carolina
    Society Trader

It’s not just for breakfast

The best time to have a beer is right now

neenerzig likes this.
  33. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,594) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Have you had them all?

See above. Also, you should always drink what you like, but if you keep an open mind, I promise you there's some world-class options out there.

Cheers!

jglenn73, traction, Limazulu and 7 others like this.
  34. Dansac

Here is another one: it has become harder to find world-class IPAs on the shelf, despite the proliferation of breweries and the style.

Most are busy making atrociously bland "hazy IPAs" which basically morph the glory of New England breweries like Hill Farm into mediocrity at its purest like Firestone's Mind Haze, or Sierra Nevada's Hazy Little Thing, or Oskar Blue's Can O'Bliss, or everything that Los Angeles Ale Works makes...

Meanwhile, the days where OG Enjoy By and Noble Ale Works appeared in Whole Foods, when even St Archer Mosaic was deliciously awesome, are long gone. Now, the best we can hope for, at least in Cali, is Beachwood Amalgamator for 13-14 dollars a four pack.

cbbjr, traction, bubseymour and 4 others like this.
  35. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,454) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Every beer is unique, even the bad ones. Getting that through peoples heads is hard.

36. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (7,694) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Controversial;
    • I like add-junks, but don't care about adjuncts. Some folks call anything added to a beer an adjunct
    • Since I like add-junks, I don't like old-school IPAs and sours that are essentially extremely bitter or sour water with alcohol added
    • People who see posts using the term add-junks and telling people not to use the term

#36 bbtkd, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    SFACRKnight and Amendm like this.
  37. shand

shand Meyvn (1,449) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Trader

• So many Hazy IPAs that are being put out now suck. They're overloading them with hops while still trying to keep the soft body and transparent malts, leading to overwhelming hop burn.
    • "Smoothie style" sours are the stupidest trend in existence. Yeah, they taste good. Because they're a damn smoothie with some beer added. Just buy a freshly made actual smoothie, it'll taste better.
    • Too many breweries are canning styles that shouldn't be packaged to-go. Poorly composed hazy IPAs that fall apart in two weeks and overly fruited cans that are prone to exploding. If I can't leave in my car for two hours, maybe it shouldn't leave the brewery.

38. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,757) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Not really :slight_smile:.

Although I'll throw a related one out there and add that ever since I tried my first gueuze I felt that if I never had another fruited lambic again it wouldn't bother me in the least. Still do, and those things are not where it's at. :sunglasses:

DCH, Coronaeus, Premo88 and 5 others like this.
  39. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,008) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I enjoy BBA Imperial Stouts as long as nothing else is added to them. Other than that I prefer beers that are brewed with Grains, Hops, Yeast and H2O. The grains don't have to be malted barley.

40. Dansac

Oh no you didn't...