Controversial Beer Opinions Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Kraz, Feb 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazhal

Lazhal Pooh-Bah (1,866) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Guess I already know how you guys feel about "sours..."

Ahonky likes this.
  2. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Except for when he sees those folded hundreds while fumbling for the license.

3. traction

traction Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

I've come across some beers that would likely make me vomit if I finished an entire bottle because the taste turned my off that much. Why would I "man up" and finish a beer I think is terrible and risk getting sick? Maybe you can stomach drinking something you hate but I would rather just dump it down the drain and learn not to buy that beer again than end up puking it back up. I don't need to get drunk badly enough to finish something that doesn't obviously doesn't suit my taste.

4. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

I've had nearly 800 beers and never one of these was worth drain pouring. Maybe I'm just smarter at choosing beers

5. traction

traction Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

Or you just have a stronger stomach than me... I've always been a picky eater since I was a kid I'm sure that transfers over to my tastes for booze as well. My pallet/stomach just can't handle some flavors. A straight shot of any brand of whisky will make me puke despite me being a borderline alcoholic. Brown liquor is something I could never learn to tolerate

6. Ice_Cream_And_IPAs

Ice_Cream_And_IPAs Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2016 New York

I'm ok with drain pouring precisely because I'm the one who paid for the beer, and it's up to me to do with it what I want. Sure, the beer buzz is cool, but the whole point of spending money on highly caloric craft beers is to enjoy the taste. If I get active displeasure from a beer, I'd rather dump it (or offer it to someone else if they are around), walk over to the fridge, and grab another that I'll actually like. The whole notion of "I'm a man, so I must finish my beer" seems silly to me. That being said, I've only poured maybe 5 beers in the three years since I've started getting into craft beer.

If someone gives a beer to me as ahift, that's a whole different story. The fact that someone would spend their money on a beer for me to try is more important than anything else and I will finish it even if really not enjoying it.

7. bbtkd

bbtkd Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,326) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Opinion; A drain pour is a victory. Congratulations, you haven't compromised your craft standards.

Opinion; Waxed bottles are no big deal, just muscle the opener to open it - and avoid cutting or burning yourself whilst using other more drastic and unnecessary methods such as knives or torches.

Opinion; Boycotting craft breweries owned by big beer has no impact on anyone but you, as you may be missing some excellent beers. They have no idea or concern that you are playing hard to get.

Opinion; One or more beers into your "session", and the importance of "proper glassware" is out the window, and it all comes down to the cool factor.

8. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My controversial opinion today is about West and Midwest folks who just tried a couple of NEIPA for the first time that a few breweries started making last week, and all of a sudden they act as though they are jaded experts who have been drinking them for years, with opinions that try to make themselves sound like veterans instead of noobs to the style.

Harrison8, jhavs, Junior and 3 others like this.
  9. bbtkd

bbtkd Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,326) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

How come it takes folks from the Northeast years to become jaded NEIPA experts as compared to folks from elsewhere? :wink::thinking_face:

Troutbeerbum, Lahey, Junior and 4 others like this.
  10. Squire

Squire Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

For the record I haven't become jaded with styles from anywhere but I'm a pretty easy going guy. Except for smoked beers which are spawn of the Devil.

11. cavedave

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Me either, all my long time enjoyments still seem fresh, and interesting, and worthy to me. Including smoked beers.

GuyFawkes, drtth, SammyJaxxxx and 2 others like this.
  12. Squire

Squire Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Anytime someone tells me they like smoked beer I'm reminded of the Mark Twain comment that a facility with pocket billiards is evidence of a misspent youth.

cavedave likes this.
  13. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Deactivated

Sometimes, the label really is more important than what's inside...

14. davesfolly

davesfolly Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2015 North Carolina
    Deactivated

IPA in general is too bitter and crappy. Not to say All of them, just most of them.
    There are far to many IPA Hop Bombs and not enough Pils

thesherrybomber likes this.
  15. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Maybe try the New England "IPA"s. They're IPAs for people who don't like IPAs.

16. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, the best beer in the World actually should be a "top tier of beers in the world", that should be representing at least 1-2 beers from numerous styles. Certainly alot more styles than just NEIPAs and BA stouts.

Mvsmvs92 and TongoRad like this.
  17. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

There are alot of pilsners in stores especially during summer. Just not alot of really good pilsners. Pilsners are in 2018 where IPAs were in 2010. Lots found on store shelves but the really good ones, hiding in small batch locals in a few places in the US. Give it a little more time and world class, delicious pilsners will become more accessable. Trends seem to be leaning that way (Suarez is the new Alchemist).

18. Lazhal

Lazhal Pooh-Bah (1,866) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This pretty much applies to anything. There is always "that guy" attempting to look cool.

JrGtr likes this.
  19. cavedave

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It is always notable when it is such an extreme, current example, and involves a favorite pastime, and people with whom we share that favorite pastime.

20. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2018 New York

Sorry

rozzom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.