Controversial Beer Opinions Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Kraz, Feb 14, 2018.

1. lester619

lester619 Devotee (469) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

I couldn't agree more. The knowledge of the existence of craft beer is systematically suppressed from entire cultures of people. It's a huge societal problem that we need to wake up to.

2. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Savant (904) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Society

I also cannot agree with you on MT. This is coming from a League member who pretty much *only* drinks beers from the online sales, though, so take it for what it's worth. I haven't had a MT "shelfie" in probably 2yrs, lol. The League (and now Theory) beers are on a whole other level than the shelf stuff (most times, anyway).

3. rozzom

rozzom Champion (823) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Oh god here we go.

Coastal liberal elites - ON ME! Protect the bubble. With your life if necessary. Our target? Wisconsinite alpha male boomers.

meefmoff likes this.
  4. SoCalBeerIdiot

Society

Maybe because it's just not true in many parts of the country???

That kind of thinking does not exist in southern California craft beer scene. At least not to my knowledge. We welcome all here.

5. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (879) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)
    Trader

Probably not relatable to the vast majority of BAs but in England golden ales are common in summer, and I hate them. Tonight I went to one of my stalwarts only to find all five taps were taken up by golden ales. I don't care for seasonal drinking full stop, but especially when your only choice is flavourless pissy grog.

6. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (779) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

man i've never had an english golden but fuck a place only having one style of beer on tap. You will see that ocassionally around here with ipa-ish things but I don't know if i've ever actually seen a place where every single tap was the exact same style

cavedave likes this.
  7. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,603) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Probably has. Takes three years for first good harvest after planting rhizomes

8. InfiniteJester23

InfiniteJester23 Initiate (98) Apr 26, 2017 California
    Trader

Throwing this one into the ether: if a brewery's readily available beer is not good, then even if the member beers/line beers/super secret releases are God's gift to our taste buds, the brewery is not a great brewery. Especially if the secret releases are covered in additives.

(Not necessarily suggesting that MT is an example here, but your post just made me think of this)

9. SoCalBeerIdiot

Society

Fair statement except MT's shelfies are pretty good by most accounts. The fact that I don't buy their shelfies is because I rarely buy shelfies, period. I realize that makes me sound like an elitist d***head and I accept it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,742) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I like Underground Mountain better than KBS!!!!

11. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Disciple (326) Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

I just want more English style barleywines. As much as I love the American versions like Bigfoot, many are entirely inseparable from DIPAs. Just give me a few in the vein of JW Lee's harvest ale and I'll be happy.

12. Warwick7

Warwick7 Initiate (64) May 25, 2019 Maryland
    Trader

Awesome I havent had an English Strong Ale yet. Im thinking Yorkshire Stingo will be my first.

BeardedWalrus likes this.
  13. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (549) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

Have you had Big Sky's BA Olde Blue Hair? I had a 2015 vintage bomber recently that got discounted to $4 that tasted very close to JW Lee's and for $4 for 25 ounces a much better value. If you ever come across it I strongly suggest grabbing a bottle if you're a JW Lee fan.

14. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,331) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

Bigfoot has to sit 3-4 years before it starts to taste like an actual Barleywine. Fortunately, it holds up well for a long time (I've had it as old as 25 years), and it's affordable enough to grab a case a year and put it aside.

15. pbrian

pbrian Defender (660) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

I want more barleywines period. I bet half of the shops I frequent don’t even have one for sale right now, and the other half might have one or two.

16. bbtkd

Society Trader

Wheatwines are better than Barleywines.

beertunes likes this.
  17. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (141) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

I don't know why, but I believe you...

bbtkd and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  18. stevepat

Trader

I just bought my first ryewine, really hoping it lives up to my hopes and d dreams and can replace barleywine fur me so I can complain that no one else makes them

bbtkd likes this.
  19. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Defender (687) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Never had one. Can you recommend a good one that is widely distributed?

bbtkd and thesherrybomber like this.
  20. bbtkd

Society Trader

There aren't a lot, and there probably aren't any in wide distribution. See the list linked below for the most reviewed. BCBS Wheatwine 2018 was excellent and is still around some places. It's also coming out again this year. The other one I've had is Big Skye Power Wagon, but that's shown as retired. Bruery has had some and I bet that's available where you are.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/styles/60/?sort=revsD

KingforaDay likes this.
  21. beertunes

Trader

Yes. And, no. Equally great, but different.

bbtkd likes this.
  22. stevepat

Trader

this thread could, and should, consume about 30% of the front page on any given day

bbtkd likes this.
  23. beertunes

Trader

Your point is.... ?

We are a peculiar bunch, us regulars here. Shrug.

There are (In general) only so many topics to kick around, without becoming an Oprah-style love fest of blind agreement.

Again, shrug.

Tilley4, Buckeye55 and FBarber like this.
  24. bbtkd

Society Trader

You are absolutely right...

Tilley4, beertunes and Buckeye55 like this.
  25. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (549) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

Not sure I'd agree or disagree with this as I've only had 2 wheatwines: New Holland Pilgrim's Dole which was disgustingly cloying tasting like vodka flavored detergent but have had Bell's Rye Whiskey barrel wheatwine which is fucking delicious but when it comes down to what I'd rather have I'd still choose JW Lees.

FBarber likes this.
  26. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Disciple (326) Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Bruery White Chocolate and White Oak. If I can find them in the tar heel state you should be able to in the tri state area.

KingforaDay likes this.
  27. Buckeye55

Buckeye55 Poo-Bah (6,325) Jan 11, 2019 North Carolina
    Society

I dont follow or respond to most topics, as they all seem to discuss nothing other than real/perceived racial bias and beer snobbery. IMO, the only two threads worth a damn are the 'Post a picture of your latest beer haul' and 'WBAYDN'. We may go back and forth over bands, but there is almost none of the ignorant shit I see infesting a lot of threads I've seen. Drink beer, be happy, discuss what actually means anything, or go do your childish whining, bitching and moaning on FB, Instagram or any other social media platform that weak minded individuals use assess their self worth based on the number of likes/followers they have

bbtkd and tolar111 like this.
  28. islay

islay Aspirant (289) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

I happen to think the two threads you like most are mindless and represent the worst of hype culture in craft beer, so I never post in them and hardly ever click on them. Those in fact are the threads that remind me of the inanities of social media sites like Facebook and Instagram, and the "like" thirstiness is stronger on those threads than anywhere else. I'm glad that there's some thoughtful, meaningful, less shallow discussion going on elsewhere in this site, even if I disagree with a lot of what gets posted.

beertunes and Buckeye55 like this.
  29. Buckeye55

Society

I respect your opinion, even if it is obviously incorrect. I feel those two threads are the least like oriented. Drink it, take a pic, throw in a tune you like then move on. At least on WBAYDN, I've come across beers/ music, especially music I'd either forgotten about or not heard. I scan through the other threads and am largely struck by the thought, that a large amount if files on this site are not merely beer lovers/geeks, but are in fact beer douches

FBarber likes this.
  30. beertunes

Trader

It's hilarious that the two threads you choose to use the most, are the two threads that most typify the features you claim to hate. The "Haul" thread in particular, is just there for folks to scream "Hey! Look at me and all the cool stuff I just got!".

WBAYDN, just gets so loaded with videos that it loads all janky (especially on a phone) that I don't visit it as often as I would.

You do you though.

rozzom, Buckeye55 and rightcoast7 like this.
  31. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (329) Apr 2, 2011 Maine

I’m not really a points guy, but if I recall, those threads have been well known for years as the place to post specifically to get tons of likes to boost your beer karma. If you’re into that sort of thing.

rozzom and beertunes like this.
  32. Warwick7

Warwick7 Initiate (64) May 25, 2019 Maryland
    Trader

I like Genesee Cream Ale and Newcastle Brown Ale.

GuyFawkes and beertunes like this.
  33. Buckeye55

Society

Yes I do, and I think that thread, in particular, is the main reason to be here. You can think what you want about the beer haul thread, I generally look at the posts to see what people are picking up in their areas. Everyone has opinions, and is free to express them. Each thread means one thing to obe person and something different to another.

34. rozzom

rozzom Champion (823) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Jesus Christ I think I may be close to agreeing with Islay. Twilight zone. Definitely wouldn’t have put it quite that brutally though. And hauls is one thing but there does seem to be more of a community vibe and less of a “look at wot the fuck I got check out my knob size” about the other thread, even tho it’s not really my deal.

But yeah I remember in my earlier days on here I would see people with 500 posts and 12,000 likes and think “damn that guy must know everything about beer / be a massive resource for the community”. But then I saw the likes of Ron Pattinson / jesskidden etc had way less % of likes. And then I found out about WBAYDN / hauls and it all clicked.

35. beertunes

Trader

JK should be the all-time points leader. I say give him an extra 100,000 points right now!

marquis, FBarber, GuyFawkes and 2 others like this.
  36. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,200) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm going to have to disagree about WBAYDN. While it's true that the likes add up quickly in there that's not really what it's all about. It's a virtual bar thread that allows you to socialize with your fellow BAs when drinking at home. There's a lot of banter going on in there and I'm sure friendships have been formed in there as well. If you think it's just a dick measuring contest then you are really missing the point.

37. Buckeye55

Society

I agree totally, I can see the other side of the argument also. I like to see what others have in their area. I don't care about points for posts, nor do I care about how many beers someone had tried, or how many articles they can get posts from. There are more beers available to me in the NC Triad, Charlotte, Raleigh and Asheville than I will ever try.So while i do like to see what people are having, I damn sure don't give two shits about anyone's beer opinions/knowledge.

38. bbtkd

Society Trader

Sure, there are dickish posts on about any thread (see above), but I really like the community of NBS, WBAYDN, and Beer Haul in particular. It's great seeing what's in distribution where and what people are drinking or have bought/traded. As far threads like Controversial Beer Opinions, anyone that's annoyed by it should stop reading it immediately and move on to what they do like. Group hug.