Controversial Beer Opinions Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Kraz, Feb 14, 2018.

1. keilerdunkel

keilerdunkel Initiate (167) Apr 8, 2004 Illinois

Try Aecht Schlenkerla Helles paired with a good mole sauce/enchilada or even chili- you may change your mind.

2. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (88) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

I need you all to notice something (if you haven't already) that has troubled me since joining the site. Next time you take a look through a brewery's offerings and ratings, notice that the higher abv offerings almost always have the highest overall ratings.

Solare76, jbakajust1, spoony and 19 others like this.
  3. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,648) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

"We have met the enemy and he is us."

And by us, I mean you guys :stuck_out_tongue::sunglasses:.

4. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,095) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

I’m liking this post with the requisite observation that most people corral their dogs fairly well, imo, but I do not share your observation re: small children...God I sound like someone’s grand dad...

5. BeerseAnyone

BeerseAnyone Initiate (52) Oct 5, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

This is so true but I have to say that 95% of the beers I like most are >7.5%

6. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (886) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

:slight_frown:

More alcohol is more better, dude.

Always reminded me of the people at beer fests, usually young men, demanding the highest alcohol offering at every booth regardless of any other details about the beer.

7. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Might be a problem using anything other than noble hops? Has your cat got royal lineage? Does (s)he hop well? :sunglasses:

DKerr and readyski like this.
  8. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Crusader (744) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Society

I agree.....I'm 67 and I take my "Buddy" almost everywhere. I've never had a complaint or comment. I wouldn't take my misbehaving grand kids anyplace but McDonald's.

Back to the subject at hand, keep your chilies, blueberries and cherries oughta my stouts, your fruit oughta my IPA's, ( I must confess that I've had a few IPA's with Blood Oranges that work.)

LuskusDelph, 2beerdogs, DKerr and 7 others like this.
  9. Kraz

Kraz Aspirant (200) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Society Trader

Also, you should tip on your to-go's, the bartenders salary isn't split up by to-go's and drafts, it's all the same. Hook them up.

10. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

Do you tip on your to-go orders of food?

11. Kraz

Society Trader

Yup. Someone had to answer my call and someone had to shoot it back to the kitchen and someone had to get it all organized for me

12. Ranbot

Ranbot Champion (875) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Ehhh.... super-newbie craft beer enthusiasm doesn't bother me, because early on most people are self-aware of how little they know and that they are in exploration mode.

The worst are the semi-new craft beer drinkers who think they know everything [but don't]. They babble on and/or brag about various trendy breweries, IPAs, or barrel-aged beers; but when you mention an english mild or classic German pilsner they are like a deer in headlights.

13. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

Your reason for tipping is, very obviously, different than mine.

14. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

That shite is infuriating.

BeerWeThinks89 and LuskusDelph like this.
  15. Kraz

Society Trader

I should have prefaced that with it isn't the normal 20%. It is closer to 10%.

2beerdogs likes this.
  16. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

I'm no Mr. Pink, either, but I tip like it's the 1980s where everything anyone does that's a normal part of their job doesn't deserve additional compensation.

17. DoctorZombies

Society Trader

Guilty. Been there done that. Don’t know how many fests/countries it will take...but I will atone!!

BeerseAnyone likes this.
  18. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

You are forgiven, my son.

Your penance is 3 Prima Pils and 1 DirtWolf.

19. jcos

jcos Devotee (478) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland
    Society

I actually like going to a Total Wine and am perfectly happy with the beers available at the one near me.

This beer, especially in cans, is not really talked about, gets good ratings, and tastes pretty damn good: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/256144/

I'm sad that FW Pale 31 is leaving production because it is a better "session" pale ale/ipa whatever, even better than FW Easy Jack.

20. DoctorZombies

Society Trader

Keep tipping here in the USA...until change for the better comes... AND no where else have I been do the bartenders/servers get paid so poorly. All other First World Countries have minimum wages for bar/restaurant workers that greatly exceed day labor construction workers, and rival school teachers!

Switzerland as well as many EU countries value bar/restaurant staff as a highly paid service industry jobs. Google. Learn. Lobby for our own. Peace out!

#100 DoctorZombies, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  21. DISKORD

DISKORD Disciple (345) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

Abita, Highland and Terrapin are awful!

22. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (186) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I'm suspicious of anyone living inside Chicago and claiming to have a "cellar". You have a small closet that stays within proper cellar temps 4 months out of the year just like me. No I don't want to trade for your 4 year old BA stout.

23. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (498) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

I prefer the company of ill-mannered dogs (or cats) in a brewery to ill-mannered children. 7 days a week.

24. Kraz

Society Trader

I had New Belgium's Hazy and I thought it was pretty good. Especially because a 6 pack is the price of 2 cans of "proper" hazys

Yes, I intentionally used the word Hazy to irritate people in this thread

25. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

I really don't think anyone's triggered by that word, brah.

BeerWeThinks89 likes this.
  26. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Disciple (328) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire

Most craft beer people I see out with kids are terrible parents at least for the time that I witness them.

I don't tip at breweries. Period. I never will. If a brewery specifically tells me they pay thier employees server wages I will stop going there.

Calling beer "hops", "big stouts" or "rarities" and using the terms "drinking well" or "(insert flavor) bomb" makes you sound like an ass.

95% of the beer geek community only recognize they like or dislike a beer and parrot back flavor descriptors they read elsewhere when probed further.

"Hazebro" is the new "Hipster" and people are just angry that a person likes the same thing they do in a manner they don't agree with.

27. Kraz

Society Trader

Bringing the fire. That felt like it was cathartic

BeerWeThinks89 and 2beerdogs like this.
  28. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,618) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Not as controversial as it seems. If Armand was as front and center as the Van Roy family, you'd probably get this opinion more. Cantillon is what it is because of a fantastic product and because of the VR's willingness to put themselves out there. I love and respect the hell out of both, but I'd take the equivalent 3F over most Cantillons.

29. WhatANicePub

WhatANicePub Initiate (137) Jul 1, 2009 United Kingdom (Scotland)

It is a good thing that German beer drinkers have a law protecting them from pastry stouts.

30. BeanBump

BeanBump Devotee (450) Dec 14, 2016 California

Most people love IPAs because someone else told them to

31. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (919) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I have never had a "sour" that I've enjoyed. I have had many of them including famous hard to get ones.

32. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (157) Feb 13, 2018 New York

I think kettle soured beers are the furthest thing from sophistication and are perfectly aligned for the palette of a 5 year old sugar junkie.

stout time in the barrel, for me, is inversely correlated to how much I like a stout

i am not fooled by tall silver cans with paper labels. i see through the disguise and am wise enough to know it does not alone justify an obscene markup

This is my first post. Sorry that it was a cynical one

33. keilerdunkel

keilerdunkel Initiate (167) Apr 8, 2004 Illinois

The word "Crushable" is like fingernails on a chalkboard

This thread is very cathartic.

34. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,745) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Fest Crew Society Trader

People that respond to every post in a beer forum or overtly troll......

35. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

Someone has a crush. Will you be my Valentine?

36. Dweedlebug

Dweedlebug Disciple (342) Feb 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

90% of IPA’s are crap and they take up far too much shelf space.

37. Spaceman_Jer

Spaceman_Jer Defender (649) Jan 27, 2015 Colorado

Brewers basically perfected the RIS style by about 2008, and the best ones available to this day are the ones that have been around at least that long (FIS, Expo, Old Raspy, OB 1050, Brooklyn Black Chocolate, Stone IRS, Dark Apparition).

Ozzylizard, RyanK252, wcu80 and 2 others like this.
  38. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

Wouldn't agree with the crap part, but there certainly are WAY too many versions of IPA on the shelves. I feel like asking brewers, "You know that you can make hoppy versions of other styles, right?"

39. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

In other words, barrel aging doesn't necessarily make imperial stouts better.

40. Oldstate

Oldstate Initiate (60) Jul 10, 2014 Pennsylvania

When I hear someone go up to a bar and, instead of asking “what beer do you have?” Ask “what IPAs do you have?” My first though is “This person just got into beer”

IPAs have jumped the shark and did it a long time ago. High alcohol and high bitterness do not make quality beer but they do cover up bad brewing practices.
    IPLs, Double this or Imperial that are mostly made up BS. All marketing.
    Sorry to say but the beer scene in the 1990’s was better and more diverse style wise than now. Back then it was about how many style could you make well. Now it’s a bitterness and high gravity arms race.
    The beer scene for the last 10+ years is “Hopstupid”