Controversial Beer Opinions Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Kraz, Feb 14, 2018.

1. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,062) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

Barleywine is life.

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,228) Sep 24, 2007 Northern Mariana Islands
    Trader

Have you not tried/heard of the murky beers that are designed to be anti-bitter? Cuz they seem to have gotten very popular the few years.

jaysker95 and InfiniteJester23 like this.
  3. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (886) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Do you think that it is a coincidence that those two words came into the lexicon at about the same time?

LuskusDelph and beertunes like this.
  4. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

Do you hate this or like it?

5. Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu Disciple (338) Oct 5, 2015 Washington

You mean mead? Mead is not beer, the only one that would count as beer is braggot.

6. cejaev

cejaev Aspirant (207) Jul 6, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

7. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

They should have just asked for the beer menu.

The average craft beer consumer would disagree with you. As would the brewers who make IPAs.

Some marketing, yes, but certainly a response to what the consumer wants.

More diverse style wise? Sure. Better? Not really. WAY more first quality choices available today.

Again, a response to consumer demand.

Duckaduck and elgiacomo like this.
  8. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

Boo!

LuskusDelph and Lone_Freighter like this.
  9. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (181) Dec 5, 2016 Maine

So are old ones.

JA_26, Hrodebert, cmannes and 26 others like this.
  10. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

:cry:

11. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (284) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Hops should be treated as another ingredient in a beer instead of the main (or only) focus. The folk who obsess over receiving the biggest punch in the mouth are not fans of beer, necessarily, but hops. Not sure this is what the first craft brewers had in mind when they returned home from Europe.

Ceddd99 and SABERG like this.
  12. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (403) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

When people expect an Imperial Amber Ale . . . ahem Nugget Nectar . . . to be really hoppy.

13. Oldstate

Oldstate Initiate (60) Jul 10, 2014 Pennsylvania

It’s not about bitterness, it’s about diversity and brewing. I think the craft brewing industry need to show they can make a diverse array of classic styles before they start inventing stuff that basically all the same. The brewing scene is pathetic and monochromatic.

I used to brew for a brew pub chain in th late 90’s. We had 10 taps and 10 different styles of beer. That’s what you did. Now if a place has 10 taps 8 would be some type of IPA.

14. Oldstate

http://allaboutbeer.com/article/we-changed-the-world-for-this/

“It took 30 years, but we’ve almost come full circle. Back in the ’80s, almost everywhere you went offered you a choice of light lagers, and maybe a Guinness or a Bass, and if you were lucky, a cream ale. Now most of the places I visit offer me a broad choice of IPAs, and maybe a couple of sours or saisons, and a couple of big dark ales. There may be a pilsner, if I’m lucky; it’s probably hopped to the gills.

It’s so boring! We’ve reached the point where brewers are stuffing things into IPAs to make them more interesting: grapefruit, peppers, ginger, lemons, blood oranges, flowers. One brewer had the tongue-in-cheek puckishness to describe his IPA as “beer-flavored.” I can’t decide whether I should salute or punch him in the nose.”

15. Troutbeerbum

Trendy people/hipsters make going to a brewery suck. These are also the same people living off trust funds who can go to releases when 99% of the population is at work.

80% of that 99% is wasting their employers time checking out BA during said workday.

16. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

And the problem with that is?

Not sure that they had any of this in mind.

mkh012 likes this.
  17. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,388) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Society Trader

I have not read through this thread yet but I already love it . . . Long over due and this'll be fun for us.

I love Miller Lite !

Boverhof3, BIGPOPPAS and BeerseAnyone like this.
  18. Oldstate

Exactly. Beer consumers are idiots today

LuskusDelph likes this.
  19. LifesAnesthesia

LifesAnesthesia Crusader (791) Dec 17, 2014 Virginia
    Society

Diversity is the spice of life

stevesbeer and thesherrybomber like this.
  20. Troutbeerbum

Correction. All consumers are idiots today.

21. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

If you think this you're not looking hard enough. Just because there's a lot of IPA out there doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of other styles, too.

Consumers drive this industry. If you want to be successful, you've got to do what the public wants or do something specialized.

LuskusDelph, mkh012 and DISKORD like this.
  22. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

Don't know about "all", but definitely "most".

Troutbeerbum likes this.
  23. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (495) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Haven't been paying attention, but...

Flights suck.

You ruin the line people's lives getting 2oz of 6-10 beers

24. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

How do you mean? There are so many styles, and only focusing on one aspect seems limiting. Not to mention the whole "bigger is better" attitude, which I think might have something to do with American machismo (the same guys who brag about eating whole habaneros).

What I like about European styles is that they've had so long to find what works for them. Whatever was available used (I'd like to think many were result of accidents). There are many boozy, flavorful styles. I blame consumers, though. If your average American were better educated, and spoke up, we'd probably see more diversity.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  25. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Disciple (381) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Trader

This.

26. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

I would certainly agree with this.

Again, I agree.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  27. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Disciple (381) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Trader

I have no doubt! :sunglasses:

CHEERS!

TheDoctor likes this.
  28. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

TWO people with a crush on me? Aren't I a lucky girl?

LuskusDelph and DISKORD like this.
  29. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

I think perhaps my location in California and dislike of "west coast" IPA/hops has tainted my perceptions!

30. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

Just commit to a pint of beer. The world won't end if you don't get to try them all.

31. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,976) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Perhaps where you live, but not around here in SE PA. Take a look through some of the places around here. Nothing like 80% of the taps devoted to IPA.

http://www.phillytapfinder.com

32. Oldstate

I live and brewed in SE Pa. John Harvard’s. I also now travel extensively for work. There was way more diversity of style 20 years ago

33. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,976) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Did you actually look at the link and check out some of the bars in the Philly area?

There is pleny of diversity and we are far away from 80% of taps being IPAs.

As for your memories of 20 years ago you may indeed be correct, but there's still lots of diversity here in SE PA.

Duckaduck, LuskusDelph and mkh012 like this.
  34. mrbetelman

mrbetelman Initiate (28) Apr 20, 2009 California

This probably isn't all that inflammatory or controversial, but Younger is just an ok beer and there is no beer made that anyone with a clue should stand in a line that goes around the fucking brewery for.

35. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,978) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

I hope this veneration of children phase wraps up soon. Adults mentioning that they don't want kids in bars and certain breweries shouldn't be controversial. Alas...

Snowcrash000 likes this.
  36. StonedRugger

StonedRugger Initiate (175) Aug 22, 2003 Ohio

I agree about kids in bars. It does not seem to be an issue in breweries at least in the beer garden. Wouldn't want them on tours, though.

Drinking any "craft beer" directly from can or bottle is a waste of time and money.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  37. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,376) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Disagree with the 90% number but there are definitely too many on the shelves.

38. Greenstone

Greenstone Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2017 Michigan

I believe...

Unless you live next to one of the few good brewers most local brewers put out a very mediocre product (but it will cost the same $$$).

There are a lot of people sitting on 5 years worth of must have ipa’s and barrel aged stouts (aging) that they will have to throw out.

When people talk about their steady 50 degree cellars they mean basement, old fridge in the garage,room temperature hallway closet, or cubby next to the fridge.

Also cicerone is a stupid name and I bet most true experts in beer knowledge would punch you in the face if you called them that.

39. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,838) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

Sounds like your complaint should be with the brewery, who adds enough hops to the beer for them to claim it's 93 IBUs and describes the beer as "...Excessively dry-hopped...an explosion of pine, resin and mango." - not to mention naming it as they did and using an illustration of a hop being squeezed until "juice" runs out on the label.

40. LifesAnesthesia

LifesAnesthesia Crusader (791) Dec 17, 2014 Virginia
    Society

Barrel aged beers are overhyped in my opinion. Some are incredible, but I find most are just ok.