Controversial Beer Opinions Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Kraz, Feb 14, 2018.

1. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (830) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Ehh . . . it's a part of American culture and it's probably not going anywhere any time soon. That said, tipping fairly is OK by me, but this overtipping trend that has taken hold over the last couple of years is ridiculous. You don't deserve 20% of the bill just because you showed up. Get it through your head. That's for excellent service. If you are average expect around 12%. Less than average and you're going to get less. FWIW, "less than average" equals: not stopping back to take drink orders throughout the visit and/or texting or talking to your co-workers in plain sight while my glass is empty or almost empty. If you are too far "less than average", you can fuck off. You earned your $0.10 tip, dumbass.

2. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (254) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

To get back on topic. It pisses me the fuck off that dogfish head relabeled their brown ale to brown IPA in my opinion just to sell more of it. It's a shitty brown ale and putting IPA on the end of it doesn't make it any better.

MaltheadWeirdo, dcotom and FBarber like this.
  3. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,413) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

I assume also it doesn't make it any worse?

Is it a random thing that this bothers you, or am I missing the point?

GuyFawkes likes this.
  4. Prep8611

Sorry was trying to be controversial. I hate that they took something that was to hoppy and bitter to style as a brown ale and instead of changing the recipe to make it fit they labeled it a brown IPA. When I bought it as a brown ale I was extremely disappointed. I won't buy it as a brown IPA out of principle.

cavedave and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  5. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Aspirant (229) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

The theater I go added a lounge/bar area a few years back. Rarely do I partake. though, as I have a hard enough time making it through a movie without having to go to the bathroom at least once anyhow.

JoeBloe, Coronaeus and dcotom like this.
  6. LiamoMill

LiamoMill Initiate (130) May 11, 2017 Ireland
    Beer Trader

Cantillon and 3F are not the only good beers in Europe worth seeking out!

THANAT0PSIS, Coronaeus, zid and 3 others like this.
  7. Prep8611

There are too many hop varieties. Wish they would plant more Citra/mosaic/Amarillo and bring the price down to cascade levels. I don't need pekko, jarrylo, belma , or eukanot.

8. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Zealot (582) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado

Exactly, lots of places already offer beer IN PUBLIC!!! oh the humanity!!! Geeze what site is this anyway haha. I dont' think we need to worry about patrons harming others while sipping beer quietly in a movie theatre. Ever been to a rowdy bar at 2 AM? that's a different story altogether.

9. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

It's funny that you mentioned those particular hops. Bought a pound each of Jarrylo and Eukanot last year and was not very impressed with them. They are OK, but nothing that gave me a rise in my Levi's. FWIW, the portion that I haven't used will go into a beer that I'm brewing this weekend. In their place I ordered a pound each of Citra and Mosaic to add to the pound of Amarillo that I have left. I know that those hops in combination will produce what I'm looking for, so the three of them plus a couple oz. of Centennial will be the recipe for my next couple IPAs. Moral of the story is that without all these new hops, my hop supplier would have probably run out of Citra and Mosaic this far after the harvest, so I'm ALL for them.

https://hopsdirect.com/collections/leaf-hops

Prep8611 likes this.
  10. Prep8611

But but but what if they didn't plant these average hops and instead just planted more Citra and mosaic!

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  11. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (825) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)

I wouldn't seek them out even if I was in Belgium :stuck_out_tongue:

LiamoMill and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  12. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (421) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

This has probably been mentioned , but I'll mention it again if so

Picking up cans, make a Square payment, there's a line for Tip?

Seriously - I'm just picking up cans.

I know it's all the same interface for drafts and cans.

Square should add a new button: Custom Tip, 20% tip, No Tip, Seriously - I'm just picking up cans

13. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Yeah . . . others have definitely brought up this subject. I'm solidly in the "no tip for picking up stuff" camp, whether it be growlers/cans of beer or pizza or Chinese food. Others have differing opinions.

Scott17Taylor and Prep8611 like this.
  14. Prep8611

And another thing! Fucking breweries filling to the top of the glass with no head. They will literally dump the head and pour more liquid beer in. I get it's better for me cause it's more beer for my dollars but they are ruining the beer drinking experience. I don't want to get drunk on less beers. I want to enjoy the beers and just buy more.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  15. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Aspirant (218) Mar 29, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Good beer is wasted after the second 7% ipa might as well drink PBR to stay hydrated

16. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,924) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

Head is part of the attraction.

17. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (282) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

You can custom tip > no tip. I do it exclusively. It's one extra button push to not give people what the brewery already is. Really not a huge deal .

18. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (784) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

So many people that I know well began as waiters and waitresses in a huge variety of hospitality venues. Many learned about food and beverages, rose through positions, learned the trade, and now own or have sold nice established businesses.....The general wage and benefit opportunities in the restaurant business is pitiful, but tip opportunity makes it a viable vocational offering for some... It's a bad system and better wages will make everyone in the business operate better.

rozzom, cavedave and Mvsmvs92 like this.
  19. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,162) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

There are some funky sour ciders out there that are equal or better than some of the best barrel aged wild ales/sour beers that people jump all over to get.

20. sportscrazed2

Beer Trader

I stopped at a brewery today that is selling a imperial stout starting tomorrow for $22 just to try a sample. It was ok but, bitch if i'm spending $20 on a bottle i'm leaving with jack daniels. Oh but, it's not my favorite style by any means

21. bubseymour

Beer Trader

Yeah, I'm starting to realize that higher end beer is getting rediculously priced. Even a 15%ABV stout for $20. I just got a fairly hard to find Willet Reserve Bourbon 750ml (45%ABV) for $39 a liquor store recently (got a 2oz pour in a restaurant for $20 which was outrageous but another story). That Willet bottle will last me probably 6-12months of sample pours, sharing with friends and the taste of it is amazing. That $20 750ml BA stout although the taste may be amazing as well, will be gone in one sitting/less than a 1/2 hour if sharing with a few friends. Kinda puts price and enjoyment of the beverage into perspective a little.

22. Lahey

Lahey Aspirant (293) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I'm not a fan of Short's. I've tried many beers of theirs, but never got why they're so popular. Probably the best beer of theirs I tried was their bellaire brown, but I'm guessing that isn't the beer keeping their lights on. Oh, and space rock was ok at a ball game.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  23. marquis

marquis Crusader (759) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

I don't agree, a head is a vastly overrated part of the beer. Best pint of Bass I ever had was as still as a mountain stream yet drank like it was 6.5% rather than 4.4% ABV.
    A small head does the job of a larger one. It is stealing from the customer to sell froth at the same price as liquid.
    An excellent local brewer told me that he could get a large head if he used poor quality malt. "But I would use Thos Fawcetts floor malted Maris Otter even if it costs twice as much as ordinary malt"

rozzom, laketang, Lahey and 1 other person like this.
  24. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,413) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

There really is nothing wrong with chugging beer. It's not dangerous to the person doing it AFAIK. It isn't creating danger for others. And it's kind of an inclusive activity, in that it takes no talent, intelligence, skill, or training. And it does get you all fucked up quicker.

So for those without talent, intelligence, skill, or training it is an activity that is wide open, and makes it possible for them to get attention they likely can't get any other way..

laketang, Tmwright7, Nachojon and 3 others like this.
  25. TheHumanTorch

TheHumanTorch Initiate (138) Jul 19, 2013 Connecticut

It isn’t stealing if the price and pour size are listed on the menu and you end up with the listed amount of liquid in the glass.

My preference is to have a glass with an extra 2 oz of space for foam

Edit: I do agree that you shouldn’t be charged for foam

Leebo, Prep8611 and bbtkd like this.
  26. sportscrazed2

Beer Trader

My problem is that it always makes me feel awkward whether I give a big tip or a small one. I shouldn't have to be the one that your employees depend on to make their wages and I shouldn't have to feel like an asshole if I don't feel like paying 20% extra over the price marked on your menus just to keep it at that price. Charge me more and pay your employees yourself

Hoppsbabo and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  27. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

There's part of me that agrees with you and part of me that doesn't. If it's just a faceless establishment that I'll probably never visit again, then I'd rather not tip. If it's my local pub, I'd rather give more money to people who do a great job and rather frequently go out of their way to make my experience more enjoyable.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  28. sportscrazed2

Beer Trader

how would they do that? Being friendly? News for you if you're an unfriendly bar tender you're in the long line of work

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  29. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Sure, friendly's a nice thing, but free rounds and entrees that aren't on the menu are almost as good.

30. RobHB

RobHB Initiate (140) Aug 20, 2017 New Jersey

-I haven't had a Lagunitas beer I'd ever want again. (I've only had 8, and those don't entice me try anything else from them)
    -I can almost say the same for Ballast Point, tried a dozen would only really go out of my way for one of those
    -

31. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Don't know which ones that you've had, but Lagunitas is a damn solid brewery. Maybe I just have a soft spot for them. Being out in Colorado in the early 2000s, they were one of my standbys. Still are here in PA with the Chicago brewery and extended distribution.

Before the Sculpin variations got out of hand, I always appreciated that beer. Same goes for Victory at Sea.

BeastOfTheNortheast and Lahey like this.
  32. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (345) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Can you provide a few examples?

33. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,040) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

I used to feel that way, drank a lot of their stuff. Then maybe 8-10 years ago, something changed. Maybe with the brewery, maybe with me, but, their beers just started started having the same crappy flavor profile, even Hairy Eyeball and Brown Shugga. Then Tony started becoming a mad man on social media, which pushed me farther away, then the sale to Heineken was the final nail in the coffin. They don't even exist for me anymore.

GuyFawkes and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  34. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Just Google "Basque Ciders" and you'll get some decent options.

bret717 likes this.
  35. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Don't see much of their limited release/seasonal stuff here, but bombers of Hop Stoopid are always reasonably priced and big cans of 12th of Never are as well. I also find it nice to see IPA or Sucks on tap.

I know a lot of people who were turned off by these two things. I was not one of them, but I understand why.

36. RobHB

I couldn't finish Brown Shugga, 12th of Never was a drain pour, their Pilsner is mediocre at best and their attempt at a Dopplebock - "Doppel Weizen" is one of the worst beers I ever had. Billed as a Weizenbock, it tasted like a really bad IPA that had zero characteristics of a Weizenbock except that it was a liquid.

Victory at Sea, I would seek out again. Sculpin does nothing for me.

37. bubseymour

Beer Trader

Highly recommend Millstone out of Monkton, MD. Not sure how widely distributed they are though. Bottles run $15-$25 usually so not cheap.

http://www.millstonecellars.com/

bret717, JFresh21 and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  38. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Initiate (190) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Damn. Love me Lagunitas. Between their IPAs and their BBA stout, it doesn't get much better. Oh ya it does, their pricing.

Mvsmvs92, EvenMoreJesus and Lahey like this.
  39. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Initiate (190) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

If I had the option between a Lagunitas Hop Stoopid or a Lawson's Sip of Sunshine, I'd take the Hop Stoopid. SOS is way overrated IMO.

Mvsmvs92 likes this.
  40. RobHB

Just to show I'm not projecting an East Coast vs. West Coast Bias, beers from Six Point do nothing for me. I've had 8 beers from them and the only one of those I sort of liked was their pilsner. The other seven beers, were "one and done" and don't have leave me inclined to try any other beers from them.