Controversial Beer Opinions Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Kraz, Feb 14, 2018.

1. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,727) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Agreed. I occasionally like IPAs with a burger, (that's what I'm making tonight) but I prefer pilsners or sours with most foods. IPAs with sharp cheddar is best.

Jacobier10 likes this.
  2. HorseheadsHophead

I like 12 oz cans better than 16 oz.

3. Greenstone

Greenstone Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2017 Michigan

Sitting back after along day at work with a SNPA can be more rewarding than another snifter of a BBA Chocolate coffee stout with peppers.

4. dlcarst

dlcarst Disciple (305) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

I'd rather have a great kolsch than most NEIPAs, a great porter with no additives than almost any dessert stout, and a great non-BA barleywine than most BA stouts.

5. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Savant (934) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

50%+ of the ‘Craft’ beer available in any locale is far worse than the crappiest macro Lagers. In most places it is likely closer to 75%.

@&$%# acronyms!!! I’m convinced their use is a sign of dull-normalcy. I can only assume dull-normalcy is caused by the ingesting of hops. Craft beer drinkers are - if the sign is correct - overwhelmingly dull-normal. It truly is the end of history!

I’ll admit that sometimes - perhaps quite often - the pursuit of a beer that is difficult to obtain is more enjoyable than its drinking. This is even true on occasion when the beer is quite good. I get just as much enjoyment from collecting beer, placing it in my cellar or fridge, reorganizing and admiring it as I do drinking it. I feel the same way about records.

It bothers me that the beers made by Hill Farmstead are so good, but the names of so many of the beers indicate an awful taste in books.

6. jlharman

jlharman Initiate (57) Apr 5, 2015 Washington

Or dogs.

1ale_man, Pacioli1445, ecpho and 3 others like this.
  7. ShawnoftheD3ad

ShawnoftheD3ad Initiate (180) Mar 20, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

ALL Sierra Nevada beers taste the same.

Come at me bruh

8. AandNBrewing

AandNBrewing Initiate (46) Jun 14, 2016 Virginia

I'm burned out on beer and just want to drink bourbon for awhile.

9. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (455) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

The only adjunct that belongs in a stout is coffee

%pastrystouts and %neckbeard

jbakajust1, RyanK252 and Duckaduck like this.
  10. HorseheadsHophead

Good thing coffee isn't an adjunct. :wink:

11. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (508) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

This is beeradvocate and posts about MEAD are often deleted (it's technically wine).

12. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Defender (664) Nov 3, 2014 Alabama

People who buy BCBS are part of the problem, regardless of the quality of the beer.

13. curmudgeon236

curmudgeon236 Initiate (192) Mar 11, 2014 Pennsylvania

IPA's are ruining craft beers for me. In cold weather, i want a damn stout or porter, not a double or tripel ipa. ENOUGH! IPA's are being flogged to death! Micro brewers are becoming one trick ponies. Malt heads unite!

14. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (508) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

In this thread we see a bunch of people stump for likes by posting popular "unpopular" opinions. I think contrarian opinion might be more accurate.

15. LavaLite

LavaLite Initiate (49) Dec 3, 2016 Illinois

I don't care if people like "juicy" beers. If you like them drink them.

My least favorite style is stouts...drink that !!

1ale_man likes this.
  16. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,577) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

This is not controversial because it is the correct opinion. No one denies this.

Also, sours are a waste of shelf space.

17. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (879) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)
    Trader

Quadrupels are really not that great.

18. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,849) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

:grin: But would that necessarily be a bad thing in and of itself? Lots of great beers on the shelves that were released before 2015 - enough around and a great variety of styles to keep many people satisfied.

I guess it raises another "Controversial Beer Topic"... :wink: ...

Can someone be a beer geek/beer connoisseur if they don't constantly chase or even try the "latest thing"? Maybe they can't keep up with numerous thread here on the forums (or the more immediate but less informative social media stuff like Untappd) but does that alone disqualify one from the beer geekery?

(Now some might ask, "Asking for a friend, are you there jesskidden?" ...:grin: Maybe.).

19. Lurchus

Lurchus Initiate (190) Jan 19, 2014 Germany

"craft beer" as a global phenomenon isn't about variety and "better" beer, but more about homogenization of the global beer world and basically results in the same styles all over the world..

20. HorseheadsHophead

Fuck outta here.

eppie82, jbakajust1, Doud10 and 8 others like this.
  21. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,849) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

And I feel like the brewers would answer:
    "Yeah, and if we don't re-label those other hoppy beers of other styles
    __ [some kinda]__ IPA, the beers don't sell as well or at all..."
    and much as you (and I) don't like it, I guess they have a point.

Sorta like when a brewery announces they must drop a long-time beer from their portfolio because of poor sales, the geekery responses with sadness and anger:
    "Damn, that's my all-time favorite
    [insert style here]. Why, I just added a single of it when I bought a mixed six 'bout a year and a half ago..."

22. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Meyvn (1,422) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Too many coffee beers. Not every porter, stout or other darker beer styles needs to have coffee. With the right ingredients and brewing process you can give a beer a nice coffee flavor without the coffee. Also, other adjuncts like cocoao nibs, vanila beans, various pastries, are over saturating the beer market. Don't get me wrong, I like these types of beers and they each have their place , but holy jeebus they're over saturated.

23. ThinBlueLine

ThinBlueLine Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2014 New Jersey

Automatically looking down / blasting someone for liking beer styles you are not a fan of.

24. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Disciple (328) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire

This is always funny to me.

- "Smuttynose to get sold in auction"
    - Beer Geeks- "Nooooo I love their beer! So upset."

You used to support them but haven't bought a Finest Kind since 2012. You are the problem.

25. HorseheadsHophead

Yeah...I really, really do love coffee porters/stouts. I admit that. But not every porter or stout needs coffee. Sometimes I even prefer them without it

26. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,206) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

I spewed coffee out my nose.

tobelerone, Kraz and Onemoresolo like this.
  27. Sweatshirt

People who ask for a taste of a beer when small pours are offered are assholes. Universally. Pony up the $2.

28. papposilenus

Nelson sauvin hops make beer taste like cheap white wine.

29. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,728) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

It annoys me that so many sheeple keep flocking to IPAs as if it's the only worthy style. Break from the herd, try something new!

30. rozzom

rozzom Champion (820) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

People who’s “palette” is apparently so discerning, they can pick up notes of a rare mountain wildflower after a summer rainstorm.

31. ThinBlueLine

ThinBlueLine Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2014 New Jersey

That's the :poop: I'm talking about......

bbtkd and papposilenus like this.
  32. papposilenus

This cannot be a very controversial opinion since so many BA's seem to share it.

Leave me the hell alone. I love IPA's and those nasty, dirty, murky double IPA's make me hard and double dry-hopping them sometimes makes me need to go change my underwear.

Stop being annoyed by what I drink.

33. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,084) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

1) People like New England style IPAs because they taste like juice...is this even controversial anymore given all the "juice" named IPAs today? (I like them, and drink them often, but they're not my favorite style)

2) New England style IPAs are a gateway style.

3) Session beer, by defintion, is 4% ABV or less.

4) For the most part, German styles are better in Germany.

34. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,106) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

True, they are great with burgers too since the bitterness cuts through the fat.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  35. papposilenus

Oh. Mea culpa right here. I once described a stout as smelling like crushed acorns on a sidewalk after it rains.

36. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,728) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Not annoyed with what you drink, I (occasionally) drink IPAs too, along with many other styles. And it looks like you drink other styles too. I'm annoyed that a significant number of brewers over-respond to the sheeple that think that craft=IPA, with so many new IPAs coming out, which just feeds the frenzy. Almost as bad as the sheeple that think that beer=BMC.

Curry, LuskusDelph and papposilenus like this.
  37. papposilenus

What does that even mean? I've been drinking beer for forty-five years. NEIPA wasn't even a thing for the first few decades of that time.

I may be taking all this NEIPA hatred a little too personally.

JA_26, mkh012 and Troutbeerbum like this.
  38. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Meyvn (1,227) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois

I’m on board with you. I’ve been saying this for a long time now. Almost no beer improves, some change, most for the worst

bmugan likes this.
  39. papposilenus

It's what pays the bills.

Yes, I have more respect for brewers who can put together a competent portfolio of at least eight different styles. Then I look at brewers like Idle Hands and Deciduous who really, really don't want to be brewing NEIPA's and are dragged into it kicking and screaming. They can't argue with the economic realities of consumer demand, neither can you and, personally, I love the style and wouldn't want to.

bbtkd likes this.
  40. Sweatshirt

It may not have been around forever but is a style with little offensive about it that can draw in people who either drink macros or think they 'don't like beer' or that think they don't like IPAs. Typically followed with an incredulous "This tastes like juice!"

I've turned a good number of people (some grizzled macro vets) onto craft beer where I work with Trillium. "Tastes like OJ" is the first thing out of their mouth. NEIPAs are like sweet wines or flavored vodka. It's a good starting point.

Not bashing either. I love them but as far as complexity and challenging flavor profiles go, they have almost none.