Conversations Maintenance

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,655) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

Please note that I'm removing a couple of third party add-ons that extended functionality of our Conversations (Inbox / private messages) and reverting to the stock functionality.

Reason: Not only have the add-ons become bloatware over the years, but they're out-of-date/no longer supported and can't be replaced until our forum is upgraded. Removing them reduces potential issues and improves the overall stability of the site.

This requires a rebuild of our forum search index, which is in progress right now. This process will take some time and results may seem off until completion.

Updates to follow...

Thanks.

2. Todd

The process completed late last night. While this removed a number of notable features (last read, searching conversations, custom prefixes, functionality shortcuts, etc.), it reduced our forum search index by over 60% and greatly reduced the size of our database.

You might notice that forum searching is significantly quicker now as a result.

stevepat and Sabtos like this.
  3. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,127) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

I noticed this weekend I could no longer tell when someone last read a message. This feature was helpful, especially in trading, to know that someone is reading and receiving messages. Especially if they ghost you for those out there having to deal with BTs, but in general as well.

Any idea if this was removed temporarily, or will it be back?

4. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (325) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I noticed the same thing. I messaged Todd about this. Waiting to hear back.

Heard back from Todd and apparently it's not coming back. Apparently I overlooked it in post #2, but I don't recall seeing it there originally. It's too bad as it was a helpful feature.

#4 MattOC, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  5. Todd

I merged your thread into this one.

As noted, several features were unfortunately removed in the process.

Sabtos likes this.
  6. colby600

colby600 Zealot (547) Mar 24, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

It wasn't a solid reference as to when someone read a message as there was a way around it. I stumbled across it by accident and I'm sure others did as well.

FBarber likes this.
  7. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,127) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Are you talking about hovering? If the message was more than 5 or I don't know how many words long that didn't really work well...

FBarber likes this.
  8. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (325) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I wasn’t aware there was a way around it, but it always seemed to work well for me with the people I engaged in conversation.

9. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,858) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I have to second (or third) the concern with removing the "last read" feature insofar as it relates to beer trading. Reading through any of the bad trader threads will drive home how important that information was both in trading and dealing with bad trader situations. Is there something that could replace that aspect?

10. D09daryl

D09daryl Initiate (78) Mar 11, 2017 California
    Trader

Please add the last read feature back. Removing that was a bad move.

Thanks

11. Todd

I've already outlined why the third party add-on was removed. Adding it back right now would be reckless. That said, it's something we could look at post-forum upgrade.

JayWhitson likes this.