Cork and cage

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JS70070, Nov 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JS70070

JS70070 Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2012 Tennessee

Anyone every flown back with a cork and change bombe? I fly beer back and forth on business, but new a cork. Would the pressure cause this to leak?

If this has been discussed, can you paste the link, I can't search for it on my phone.

Thanks

2. JS70070

And I can't edit to fix my spelling errors, maybe a few too many. But I hope you get the ask

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  3. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,724) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Well.. While I'm sure many people here have, don't you think corked and caged bottles get shipped from brewers in Europe to the U.S. by plane all the time?

emount91, GSS and HopBroker like this.
  4. mikefuski17

mikefuski17 Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2013 Oregon

I flew from SF to Philly a few years ago wit a bunch of Russian River stuff with no issues whatsoever. If you get nervous, take some duct tape.

5. riverlen

riverlen Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2009 Illinois

Isn't the cork and cage more secure than a standard crimped cap?

Ranbot likes this.
  6. JS70070

I was told on a trip once to not fly back with one due to leakage. Good to hear others have had success. Thanks for all the responses

7. RLLER

RLLER Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2015 Florida

I fly all over the US for work weekly and have checked bags with every bottle, crowler, growler you can think of. Its all in how you pack them. I wouldn't worry about the cork and cage at all. Most beer I have flown at once was 65 lbs of goodies from Portland to Miami. So dont worry and just pack well!

Edit: I travel with bubble wrap. But if its just under 8 bottles? Wrapping with clothes is fine. Stick smaller bottles in your shoes.

HighWine likes this.
  8. JS70070

Thanks @RLLER - I user ziplock bags and bubble wrap, its usually only 6 to 8 bottles.

JrGtr and RLLER like this.
  9. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Poo-Bah (5,814) Oct 13, 2007 Wisconsin
    Society

Over the years, I have been able to safety transport 750 ml corked and caged bottles of Temptation, Gouden Carolus Easter, Cascade Apricot Ale, and many others, and that is between different continents!

10. SFCraft

SFCraft Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2014 California

Flew from Brussels to San Francisco with plenty of corked & caged bottles in my suitcase. No problems.

#10 SFCraft, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  11. dank203

dank203 Devotee (497) May 21, 2012 New Jersey

I think he meant cage bomber lol

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  12. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,993) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I have only seen one true disaster on checking alcohol on the plane, was at a special area to pick up odd sized stuff and there were like 3 boxes of wine that had been heavily duck taped and they were beat to hell and back, soaked in red wine, made my eyes watered and the people that owned them were gobsmacked that they didn't survive the flight. I simply remarked "Duck tape is good for many things, protecting wine is not one of them". That earned me a nasty look. I think the baggage dudes took it as a challenge to see how well the duck tape could hold up.

HopBroker likes this.
  13. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Poo-Bah (1,779) Jul 10, 2011 Virginia
    Society

With enough duct tape, they should be able to make that entire case waterproof (wineproof). Its just a matter of making sure ALL the glass breaks and attaching a tap to the side of the case.

14. tillmac62

tillmac62 Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina

I would think the cork and cage would be more secure than the typical bottle cap.

15. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2011 Michigan

I've never had an issue. I always ziploc them either way.

Ranbot likes this.
  16. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia
    Deactivated

Just flew back from CA with some RR sours, no issues for me. I put them in ziploc bags and a little duct tape over the cork just to be safe but probably not necessary.

17. DVMin98

DVMin98 Poo-Bah (3,581) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

I electrical tape the entire thing to the bottle...never had a problem

18. R3ason

R3ason Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Colorado

Same here on the Brussels to US flight. You'll be fine.

19. Cibsie

Cibsie Initiate (175) Jan 10, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

Are cork cage beers VERY prone to infection, or do I just have really bad luck with them? I usually tend to avoid them, since most beers I'm interested in aren't in that format, so I've probably had about 7 in my lifetime. 6 of those 7 were infected to the point where they had to be drain poured. The only good one was BA Narwhal.

20. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (345) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Yeah, typically when a store gets a case of 12, only one or two of them are drinkable. It used to shock me that they keep ordering and stocking C+C beers, but the world just keeps spinning, as they say.

21. CayseyW

CayseyW Zealot (516) Mar 7, 2013 Connecticut

Is this sarcasm? I honestly don't think I've ever run into a problem with this... and I have had plenty of beers in this format.

22. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,812) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I have never heard of this from anyone. Ever. I constantly purchase CnC bottles with no issues. If I have been buying the one or two good beers from every case those are astronomical odds, and I am one unlucky sonofabitch. So I doubt it.

23. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (848) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

WTF are you talking about? I can't say in my 30+ years of drinking I have had more than a few bad beers. One was a corked bottle of Chimay red over 20 years ago. It foamed out till nothing was left. I had a really bad bottle of JP bam that foamed out and Victory replaced a case of bad beer( they pulled the same date from their library) and confirmed it was a bad batch. That's about all I can remember.

Enjoy

24. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

I have heard that these beers can be more prone to infection, I have no idea what the numbers are or how true this is. It seems like if it was a major problem, someone would have come up with a way to fix it, or stop using the format all together. I will say there is no way it has a 10 out of 12 failure rate and is still being used. That's just absurd.

NanookinTexas likes this.
  25. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

I don't think it was the cork and cage itself that was the problem.

Over the last 6-7 years I've had multiple cases of cork and cage bottles and dozens of single bottles purchased while traveling. Never had a bottle that was infected.

NanookinTexas likes this.
  26. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,351) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

I've brought back corked bottles from San Diego to NY. Never had an issue. Gotta think there is something else causing this.

27. IceAce

IceAce Savant (916) Jan 8, 2004 California
    Brewery

What.The.Heck?

Is it too early to begin nominations for "Silliest Post of the Year"?

28. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 California

Yep....because of the potential pressure inside. Usually, as is the case with champagne, the glass is thicker too.

29. TambaTime

TambaTime Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 Pennsylvania

Recently flew from FLL to PHL with a rum BA quad by Barrel of Monks. No issues whatsoever. Take the normal precautions and you should be fine.

30. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (430) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

really? I haven't noticed any difference between C&C and capped bottles. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't think I've gotten many if any bottles of beer out of the store that weren't as the brewer intended - at least when relatively fresh. I have a couple bottles of something that I sort of forgot about that aren't good anymore - this is 4 or 5 years later, though.
    I do pay attention to bottled dates on IPAs and such that should be comsumed fresh, of course.
    I suppose it is possible to occasionally find the "corked" bottle of beer, to use the wine peoples terminology, but I haven't seen one.

31. kalosjakar

kalosjakar Initiate (0) May 5, 2014 Rhode Island

What are you talking about?

foundersfan1 likes this.
  32. Davey-C

Davey-C Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2016 New York

My friend was telling me about a "sock like" padded thing you can buy to ship bottles. Apparently it cushions and is absorbent in the event of breakage. A Google search away. Or wrap them in diapers... Either way definately worth it!

33. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 California

Well, that must explain the price of beers coming in this format, then...the high price of two bottles out of a whole case offsets all of the bad bottles! Brilliant!

34. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,578) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

This is ludicrous.

Cork and cage does not lead to infected beers.

35. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 California

I don't know. Maybe they've been doing it wrong for centuries.

36. akolb

akolb Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2015 Colorado
    Deactivated

All I can say is that Unibroue does it and I've liked every beer I've ever had from them, so it must be okay.

37. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,824) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

No mention of beers getting "corked"? I have had corked wines, and have had corked beers. Look up cork TCA, which is in a small percent of the cork supply. If you run across it, you will know. It is a musty, earthy, fungus aroma and flavor.

38. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

you can fly with it but like anything you put in you suitcase protect as much as you can you will be fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.