Costco German Beer Advent Calendar

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JPVanderbilt, Sep 14, 2018.

1. JPVanderbilt

JPVanderbilt Initiate (70) Nov 29, 2015 Virginia

I bought the Costco German Beer Advent Calendar in 2016 and 2017. Some of the beers were good, some were fairly worthless. It's a boxed set of 24 different German beers in 16.9 oz cans. But I'm posting this because the 2018 version will be out next month (I think) and I'm curious about what other folks think about these beers. I feel like the overall quality of the product needs to be raised, but at the same time, I like trying these old-school German beers, many of which are not available in the U.S.

So, if you've bought this product in the past, do you plan to buy it again this year?

MonkeyBread likes this.
  2. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,456) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

I got it as a gift last year, and decided its not something I'd spend my money on in the future, but that I enjoyed as a novel gift. If I got it as a gift again, I wouldn't be upset.

The off putting part of the box for me was the contents were all made by the same average brewery for hire, instead of including works from several different German breweries. I'd be more likely to spend my money on it if the pack mixed up its production points as much as its styles. As is, I'd rather spend my money on a few bottles off the import shelf and create my own week countdown.

Do the beers in the advent calendar vary year by year?

Premo88 and rozzom like this.
  3. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,556) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

2 years ago this was in my buggy, made a few trips around the store. Stopped a while and checked some of the beers out here on BA and then rolled back to that section and put it back on the shelf. Love the idea, love the container, not to wild about the contents.

Harrison8 likes this.
  4. kreg02

kreg02 Aspirant (275) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

One of my local bottle shops does one of these every year, I have never gotten it but have always been interested in checking it out.

5. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,386) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Last year I found a bottle shop that must have had 2 or 3 of these left over so they broke them apart and sold them as singles. I picked up a mixed 6-pack and I found that I really liked a couple and disliked a couple. I actually might try to pick it up this year if I can find it just for the novelty - as long as its fresh.

Premo88 likes this.
  6. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,830) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania

I think it's an interesting idea and I'm up for it. The question is, what does it cost? If it's not a crazy price I'd go for it even with some not so good beers in there.

7. BeerBobber

BeerBobber Devotee (484) Nov 23, 2015 Nevada

I have never heard of this one. If the price point was O.K. I might, maybe, perhaps try it out. Has anyone ever tried that Costco generic beer? Sorry for the side note question, just curious.

8. TheEpeeist

TheEpeeist Disciple (380) Nov 5, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

i got this as a gift a few years ago. all of the beers were almost a year old and the styles offered were not conducive to aging. unless you can check the brewed on date i would pass.

9. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,949) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

In casting about for cities to move when our turn here is done I'm looking at places that have both a Costco and an Aldi.

10. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (64) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Given my love for German beer. If the price was decent, I'd pick one up and give them a try.

11. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,456) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Just be careful. The Aldi's nearby me doesn't sell alcohol.... I miss the random limited edition wines, and cheap, but still tasty, beers.

Lahey, FBarber and Squire like this.
  12. Squire

Premium Trader

That's good to know because beer is an essential part of the equation.

Harrison8 likes this.
  13. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (257) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

$60 for a case of mystery beers? Doesn't sound like a good gamble.

bubseymour likes this.
  14. donspublic

Premium Trader

I think the box at Costco was Abt $37. Houston has both Costco and Aldi :slight_smile:

FBarber likes this.
  15. donspublic

Premium Trader

Hm googling around I may have been off by $20. For those interested their Facebook Page has pictures and write ups of the beers back to 2015. Just look at the photos.
    Now thinking if I see this again I am putting it in my cart. I have more appreciation for lagers now than I ever had.

#15 donspublic, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    FBarber and MonkeyBread like this.
  16. Rollmeaway2loadout

Rollmeaway2loadout Aspirant (239) Jan 30, 2016 Illinois

They are both in Illinois in the suburbs of Chicago..

17. Squire

Premium Trader

Thanks for the suggestion but I need a place with fewer stoplights.

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  18. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,253) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium

Uh oh. My experience is that Costcos always have a stop light just to get in and out of the place. :slight_frown:

Jaycase, FBarber and Harrison8 like this.
  19. Squire

Premium Trader

It's always something isn't it.

zid and Mothergoose03 like this.
  20. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Crusader (786) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan

Grandville, Michigan has both stores, about 0.5 mile apart.

21. Squire

Premium Trader

I've also decided I want a mountain view outside my window.

miwestcoaster likes this.
  22. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Crusader (725) Nov 18, 2013 Texas
    Premium

I got them from the wife a couple of years past and I enjoyed it. Wrote reviews on the contents of the last calendar I got ?? years ago. Wife quit going to COSTCO.