Could someone explain USPS to me please?

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by Snowcrash000, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Crusader (715) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

I'm really, really pissed off about this right now, but I will try to remain calm and get to the bottom of this mystery. I'm currently involved in an international trade with someone from Vestal, New York. So naturally I assumed that USPS would ship this item from Newark, New Jersey since it's closest to his location and the direction it will be traveling in towards Europe. Also, the last packages I received and sent from/to the USA from Germany were all processed through Newark as well.

However, according to the tracker, the package is currently in Chicago, so will most likely be processed through O'Hare instead. So my question here is basically what the fuck is wrong with USPS? Just how fucking stupid are those people? It's like 175 miles to Newark from Vestal and 711 miles to O'Hare. What really bothers me about this is not the extra time that the package is traveling but the fact that it's currently almost 50°F(!) colder in Chicago than New Jersey.

It's currently 12°F in Chicago, so what does that mean for my beer? Fortunately it's all high-ABV beer in cans, so I'm holding on to a shred of hope that it's going to be all right, but at these temperatures it really only is a shred of hope. It will get even colder overnight, so I guess that if the package doesn't make it on a plane today, I am truly fucked.

This trade took a long time to set up and I've been really, really looking forward to this box. This is the good stuff from Alchemist, Treehouse, Other Half, etc. It's not easy to get this stuff in Germany and I'm currently incredibly frustrated that it could all be ruined because USPS is too fucking dumb to ship from a location that 175 miles instead of one that 711 miles away. I just don't understand the thought process here.

2. Snowcrash000

Trader

Is it a general rule on the trade forums that every thread posted needs to undergo moderation prior to being displayed publically, by the way? At first I thought it was the swear words, but I've tried reposting this thread without them and that didn't work either.

3. mythaeus

mythaeus Crusader (779) Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

If USPS figured out which is head, which is tail, they'd be making money instead of losing money every year: http://thehill.com/opinion/finance/...one-reason-the-postal-service-is-losing-money

Honestly, no one can tell you why a package travels in such an illogical manner. Everyone who ever used USPS will tell you that, at one point or another, their package traveled through a route that makes no sense whatsoever. Here's an extreme example: https://gizmodo.com/5905096/the-pos...ackage-across-the-country-twice-for-no-reason . That said, here's a plausible explanation from that article: "The system isn't designed so that your package is shipped in the most efficient manner, it's designed so the whole system is efficient. That sometimes means packages take odd routes do to space on trucks, planes, and trains. I used to work at a shipper and had a few friends in logistics, they constantly joked about some of the crazy routes packages would take because it saved the company money."

The only thing you can do is wait for it to move and hope that it keeps moving instead of being stuck somewhere.

4. Snowcrash000

Trader

Well ain't that just fucking swell, Murphy's Law strikes again :rolling_eyes::angry::sob:.

5. chefduff2

chefduff2 Devotee (482) Feb 17, 2008 New York

I live 45 minutes from vestal and usually it does go through Newark/NY for me coming into the states. It either goes through There, Chicago or LA from what I’ve seen. And yes, this site has a higher level of moderation.

6. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,162) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

If this is how worked up you get over the routing of a package, I'd hate to see you when the package gets held up in customs.

7. Snowcrash000

Trader

Well, I may have overreacted a little bit, but if the routing can potentially destroy my beer then yes, I'm gonna get worked up about it. What really annoys me about this is that I actually made sure to check the temperatures before sending, but in New York.

How was I supposed to know they were gonna ship this to Chicago instead, it doesn't make any sense. I mean seriously, why spend 3 days shipping this to Chicago when it could have been in New Jersey on the same day? It's completely moronic.

At least this has been a learning experience I guess. Oh, and I don't get worked up over customs, every package I get gets stuck at customs in Germany for 1-2 weeks, that's normal, I'm used to that. At least it's in the warm there.

Vidblain likes this.
  8. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Disciple (343) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

As a post above explained, it may not be the cheapest/most efficient for your package in isolation, but on the whole it could be.

Consider the "marginal" case - as in, consider that your package is the one that makes the palate too big, or the truck too heavy or the plane too full. What to do? They can't force someone else's package to wait. They can't send another truck/plane etc. just because of your package. What they can do is send it along with other packages to another location that will then deliver it in a similar time span to the original, but via a different route. If there was room left on the truck/plane to Chicago, it cost them essentially nothing to send it there, and essentially the same cost to ship it from Chicago (along with other items) to Europe. Less, actually, than shipping from Newark if you consider that yours was the one to "push the right over," and make them have to send another plane.

Frustrating for sure, and I'm sorry this happened to you.

Snowcrash000 likes this.
  9. Vidblain

Vidblain Crusader (724) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Premium Trader

This is like the one occasion on Beer Advocate where "pallet" would have been correct. Damn! Missed your chance @Beer_Economicus :wink:

10. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Can I blame Autocorrect on my phone even though this was right after I woke up and still in bed?

:rolling_eyes:

Vidblain likes this.
  11. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,339) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

So did you ever get your beer @Snowcrash000? Anything happen to it?

12. Snowcrash000

Trader

#12 Snowcrash000, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  13. FBarber

Premium Trader

14. Beer_Economicus

Trader

This happened to me a week or two ago. It was sorted into "the wrong bin." It was a limited bottle, and I nearly had a fucking heart attack. I waited on hold for over an hour just to speak to someone at customer service. Apparently Chicago USPS is known for this issue. It comes up when searching for information.

FBarber and Vidblain like this.
  15. FBarber

Premium Trader

Why am I not surprised?

flat_lander likes this.
  16. LavaLite

LavaLite Initiate (37) Dec 3, 2016 Illinois

When you see odd routings on shipments, it is usually do to "filling lanes". It was mentioned in this post how it might not make sense to you but to the shipping company it does. I work in transportation and can tell you the shortest distance between two points is a straight line....but it not always the cheapest or most efficient.