Counter Weight Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by BranfordBound, Jan 2, 2019.

1. BranfordBound

BranfordBound Poo-Bah (1,579) Apr 7, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

Starting up the thread for 2019

Standard Info:
    Counter Weight Brewing Co
    23 Raccio Park Rd.
    Hamden, CT 06514

Mon - Wed: Closed
    Thu: 3 - 8pm
    Fri: 3 - 9pm
    Sat: 12 - 9pm
    Sun: 12 - 6pm

Can & Growler sales available in the tap room of the brewery during business hours. Please try to park in the brewery parking lot or on the street. Do not park in the lots of the adjacent businesses.

Can drops:
    Typically Counter Weight releases new canned beers (16oz 4-packs) available for purchase at the brewery on Thursdays and/or Fridays. Some beers make it to Saturday, Sunday, and possibly the next week after but it's not guaranteed. Check their Instagram or Facebook for regular updates.

sulldaddy and Mkozaka like this.
  2. BranfordBound

Trader

Per CW Instagram: Tomorrow (01/03/19) they are dropping Spiral Architect, standard green label. Some Velocirapture cans leftover.

I had Velocirapture during our NYE party and it was fantastic, as always. I feel like that's their most "sleeper" beer thus far.

3. lic217

lic217 Champion (838) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

Bought a four pack of headway a few days ago for $9.99. It was canned a week ago. Laughing at the thought of people driving long distances and waiting in long lines to pay $4 or more for similiar or worse beers. Headway tastes incredible.

necoadam, jaxon53, PatrickCT and 6 others like this.
  4. JayKoz

JayKoz Initiate (102) Jun 20, 2014 Connecticut

Headway has been absolutely unreal for about 6 months now, to the point that my beer browsing and brewery trips have dramatically decreased. I typically will always grab at least a 4 pack when I see it, and working in New Haven County, it's never hard to find fresh.

It's fantastic.

pbrian likes this.
  5. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (159) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

Yep, Headway is an easy grab when I go to most stores. Cheaper and better than the rest!

TreeHouse_Erection and PatrickCT like this.
  6. epoole3

epoole3 Initiate (177) Aug 28, 2005 Massachusetts

Therein lies the rub, no long lines and easy to get.

7. BranfordBound

Trader

For now. Don't let our secret spot out! :wink:

8. mja271

mja271 Initiate (74) Mar 18, 2016 Connecticut

Yea I hadn't picked up Headway cans in quite a while. Grabbed some for the train to Phish on Saturday and man it was awesome.

jtodeasa likes this.
  9. zeile33

zeile33 Initiate (53) Oct 8, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

I don't usually get too hyped about local IPAs but that crucial Mass was awesome!

10. bsullivan

bsullivan Initiate (64) Aug 17, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

Total Inundation should be renamed Total Dangerous, it drinks like its 6-7%. So good

PenningtonNY10 likes this.
  11. jtodeasa

jtodeasa Initiate (119) Nov 11, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

Show was awesome too!!

12. lbower860

lbower860 Initiate (149) Jun 28, 2011 Connecticut

Epic show. Tweezer>DDHVL>Tweezer.

13. Mkozaka

Mkozaka Devotee (494) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Only 4 reviews on Cities and Years. @BranfordBound had a nice write-up; any others offer an opinion? The description intrigues me - I’m cool with the coconut but the Starburst has me worried about an artificial, sticky finish.

BranfordBound likes this.
  14. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (136) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Had a full pour at Lasting Brass 2nd Anniversary party. Guest tap. Hoppy and soft but malty. Not a typical CW flavor profile. Gave it a 3.75. OK but hardly remarkable.

Mkozaka likes this.
  15. pbrian

pbrian Defender (647) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

What did you think of Lasting Brass? I always try to avoid guest taps at breweries unless their beer sucks. That would double suck if you didn't like Lasting Brass or the guest beer.

16. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (136) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

There is nothing about LB NOT to like. Their brews are exemplary as are 90% of CW. Still a 3.75. Far from a drainpour..

pbrian likes this.
  17. BranfordBound

Trader

Glad you saw that! When I had it on draft it was a very light and drinkable New England IPA. Focuses on the tropical hops from the dry hop (pineapple flavors mostly) but I don't recall a saccharine finish. Definitely juicy and as @CTHopman says it does get a bit malty as it warms up but I wouldn't describe the beer as malty.

You should definitely get some if you're interested. I think it will be amazing once it gets warm outside again.

18. PenningtonNY10

Any idea of Counter Weight is making bigger batches of beers? Went down to get some cans today and was surprised they still had Spiral Architect and Space Coyotes cans hanging around.

Mkozaka likes this.
  19. Mkozaka

Society Trader

I wonder if the Holiday beer stockpiling and/or dry January are a factor. TH is obviously on a much larger scale but all last weeks cans spilled into this week.

Let us know your thoughts on Sow, if you grabbed any.

20. PenningtonNY10

I did get some Sow, I'll let you know!

21. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (707) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

I'll be stopping by for some Sow tomorrow. Looking forward to trying especially since the first 3 check ins on untapped yesterday were all under 4 whining that it's "grassy and too bitter"..Lol.

That means I'm going to love it! I hear it's a house favorite at the brewery.

sulldaddy, mltobin and Mkozaka like this.
  22. PenningtonNY10

It was very good!

23. jaxon53

jaxon53 Meyvn (1,369) Mar 1, 2006 Connecticut
    Society

I had Headway yesterday, for the first time in months. All I can say is holy shit!

24. BranfordBound

Trader

Vulture Culture and No Hope for the Kids will be released this Friday, boys and girls.

That’s way too long of a dry spell!

jaxon53, smutty33 and Mkozaka like this.
  25. Mkozaka

Society Trader

Where did I see Matt is traveling to Bamberg? Has to be a Rauchbier coming after that trip.

BranfordBound and mltobin like this.
  26. msiegel04

msiegel04 Initiate (43) Oct 5, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

I was thinking of heading to the brewery on Sunday around open for my birthday. Any insight on crowds, etc? No kids with me this time.

Seems like they have quite a few cans/bottles always available to go. Anything I need to try? I’ve had headway but that’s it from them to date.

27. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,422) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Hey man, was just there last weekend. Had a really good schwarzbier (Fathomist) if you need a hops break. Otherwise, they also had Total Inundation on draft in the upstairs area, but not downstairs. You missed crucial mass keg but there are several other solid IPAs. The Void Oatmeal Stout is amazing if in a stout mood.
    Even when the place is busy it doesnt tend to feel crowded, if that makes sense. I suspect at open you will have plenty of space. Enjoy!

BranfordBound and msiegel04 like this.
  28. PenningtonNY10

Should be all good as far as crowds. May get busy but it's never overwhelming, especially when both tap rooms are open. Try that Vulture Culture, it's one of my favorites!

BranfordBound and msiegel04 like this.
  29. msiegel04

Trader

Thanks for the tips. I saw they were putting out cans of it Friday. Would those typically last til Sunday or is it a crapshoot? Cheers.

30. msiegel04

Trader

Silly good to hear from you. I am on a hops break for the most part (try a new local IPA here and there) so those sound like great suggestions. Cheers

sulldaddy likes this.
  31. BranfordBound

Trader

Crapshoot. I doubt Vulture Culture will make it but you'll probably get No Hope For The Kids. Both should be there for Saturday.

It seems like CW has been making more beer as I've seen some of the regular canned IPAs going into the next week on a regular basis now.

32. PenningtonNY10

The last batches of Spiral Architect and Space Coyote lasted multiple weekends, so there's a chance Vulture might as well. But like you said you never know. They have a lot of variety of cans right now and with that legal limit of five four packs per person it seems to leave some beer in stock longer than it would if you could buy two cases.

Oh and you can always visit their website to see what cans they have that day: https://www.counterweightbrewing.com/?page=taproom. They've been using that more than Facebook to list full can availability lately.

BranfordBound likes this.
  33. BranfordBound

Trader

Oh yeah for sure, all valid points. Like I said, the regular IPAs or other beers have been going into the next week with regularity now, but Vulture Culture is a tricky one and I've seen it gobbled up after 2-3 days. All I'm saying is I wouldn't expect it there like I would No Hope For The Kids.

NHFTK is awesome, so it's not like they'd be missing out! :slight_smile:

34. mja271

mja271 Initiate (74) Mar 18, 2016 Connecticut

Probably gonna take our dog to her first brewery this weekend and pick up some Vulture Culture. Haven't been to CW in a couple weeks, need my fix.

35. PenningtonNY10

Yeah I'd place no bets on Vulture still being there either, lol. But whatever cans are there...it's all a good option. I had the hardest time deciding what five four packs to get last Friday when I saw they still had Space and Spiral in addition to Sow, Cities and Years and a couple others.

36. lbower860

lbower860 Initiate (149) Jun 28, 2011 Connecticut

This weekends batch of Vulture Culture was absolute fire. One of the best (maybe the best) Double New England IPAs ive ever had. It has everything you'd want from the style. Just fantastic.....

37. PenningtonNY10

Yeah it's so damn good, probably the best batch of it yet.

38. Swats

Swats Initiate (44) Jul 1, 2015 Connecticut

A buddy was able to get me a 4pk on Friday and I agree 100%. It was excellent. Anyone know if it sold out Sunday?

39. BranfordBound

Trader

A new DIPA will drop this Friday, 2/1, Belmageddon. I think this one should have some Belma hops in it. :wink:

sulldaddy likes this.
  40. Mkozaka

Society Trader

I love CW hops but this is the third consecutive week with IPA/DIPA releases?