Counter Weight Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by BranfordBound, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Swats

Swats Initiate (44) Jul 1, 2015 Connecticut

I want to see Ceno come back. As much as I like Slumbering Behemoth I thought Ceno was better

sulldaddy and beanoboy7 like this.
  2. BranfordBound

BranfordBound Poo-Bah (1,579) Apr 7, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised something else hasn't snuck in. I just checked and here's the rundown:
    This week: Belmageddon (new DIPA)
    Last week: No Hope for the Kids (IPA) & Vulture Culture (DIPA)
    2 Weeks: Cities and Years (IPA) & Sow (Pale Ale) and it had Space Coyote and Void Oatmeal Stout leftover from the previous week. So 3 weeks ago was the last non-IPA drop (Void).

However, CW is teasing a Rauchbier and Czech Pilsner release on their Insta story, so perhaps your prayers are being answered. Looks like Matt's Germany trip was quite fruitful.

purephase and Mkozaka like this.
  3. lbower860

lbower860 Initiate (149) Jun 28, 2011 Connecticut

Gotta give the hop hungry people what they want. If you're CW and your hoppy beers barely last a week, versus a (spectacular) lager like Ein Helles that might sit for a month or even more. I get very excited when I see a new CW Lager, but you cant blame them for cranking out the hops. They keep the lights on.

brutalfarce likes this.
  4. BranfordBound

Trader

Absolutely. I feel like I'm the only one in my friend group that actually gets excited for Ein Helles. It's so good and reminds me of my trip to Munich. But with that being said the hoppy stuff keeps me coming back for more.

brutalfarce likes this.
  5. beanoboy7

beanoboy7 Initiate (186) Jun 22, 2014 Connecticut

Completely agree. Loved Ceno. And the Maple version of it was killer!!!

brutalfarce and Swats like this.
  6. BranfordBound

Trader

Counterpunch cans return on Friday as well as a new Czech Pilsner, Vltava. Nice little can drop there.

Mkozaka likes this.
  7. bt931912

bt931912 Initiate (155) Jul 1, 2013 Connecticut

Does anyone have any idea when the batch of Crucial Mass that was canned this week will hit hartford distro?

#47 bt931912, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  8. BranfordBound

Trader

So I have a half answer for you: I just picked up 2/6 cans from Coastal in Branford. So either now or very soon.

9. pbrian

pbrian Defender (648) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

bt931912 and DrinkingThe413 like this.
  10. tsir

tsir Initiate (15) Jan 17, 2019 District of Columbia

Showed up at Southington Wine today.

11. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (159) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

Harvest in WH had Crucial Mass today

12. BranfordBound

Trader

Wizard Fight (Mosaic DIPA) in cans today at the brewery. Anyone have the Vltava Pils?

13. Mkozaka

Mkozaka Devotee (494) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Hopefully soon; I posted in the trade forum for some cans. Probably the only active listing seeking out a Pilsner!

14. lbower860

Ive got that sweet sweet Vltava.

Mkozaka likes this.
  15. HopQuest

HopQuest Initiate (54) Feb 2, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

Vltava may be the best pils that they have done. Close with Dalliance for my favorite clear beer from CW.

16. lbower860

There are so many good ones to choose from. I think Dalliance was my favorite though.

17. jtodeasa

jtodeasa Initiate (119) Nov 11, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

Watched (and contributed to) the lone shelf of Vltava getting cleared out of the cooler yesterday around 1 PM. Had some friends from Brooklyn up to the country and they couldn't say enough nice things about New Haven and CW.

18. Mkozaka

Society Trader

Anyone know if Workhorse is back in Hartford or Middlesex county?

19. BranfordBound

Trader

Good lineup for tonight and Friday: Inundation IPA, Drudenhaus rauchbier, Void coffee stout, and Friday will have Superfluous. I'm thinking another run up is in the works for me tomorrow.

Really want to try the rauchbier. Not too many of those going around. I had the one from Fox Farm and it was delicious.

brutalfarce likes this.
  20. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (535) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island

Driving back from NYC Saturday afternoon I grabbed some Inundation. Have had a few of my cans thus far and NOT disappointed. Drinking so well...

BranfordBound likes this.
  21. BranfordBound

Trader

Release update: sorry to inundate this thread (pun intended) but Proper Pause will drop today. Brett beer aged in white wine barrels and then bottle conditioned.

22. pbrian

Nothing CW does disappoints...

23. Mkozaka

Society Trader

Very nice Rauchbier. Subtle smoke, not intense. Clean Marzen base. Moderate, maybe slightly higher, bitterness. Would love CW to brew quarterly.

BranfordBound and CTHopman like this.
  24. Swats

Anyone get the CW-Tribus collab? Reading mixed reviews on the CTBeerdrinkers FB site. Also miffed I have not been able to get up there for the latest Coffee Void thanks to work and kid hockey tournament.

brutalfarce likes this.
  25. BranfordBound

Trader

New beer for Thursday release (3/14): Stratagem IPA which uses those new Strata hops. I think this one will be more berry/citrus like than the tropical pineapple/coconut Sabro hops that Cities & Years used. Curious as to how this one tastes...

26. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (309) Jan 12, 2014 Utah
    Trader

Strata is very different than Sabro. Strata reminds me a lot of Mosiac. Interesting yet different fruit/berry character and a bit of dank. An awesome new hop. It’s great on its own. Most people are finding Sabro is best at only 10-20% of a hop blend. On its own it’s way to intensely woody, like cedar almost.

27. GeoffreyWolken

GeoffreyWolken Initiate (34) Jul 22, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

I'm excited to try this one. Has anyone tried the proper pause yet?

28. BranfordBound

Trader

If that's the case then I am a fan already. Mosaic is one of my all time favorite hops.

29. msiegel04

msiegel04 Initiate (43) Oct 5, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

Fortunate enough to have the day off tomorrow and I am able to head down to CW in the afternoon. Any suggestions on must try or must buys? I’ve had crucial mass and headband before but that’s about it. Both outstanding beers. Cheers.

30. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (214) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

Honestly, the pour of Headway at the brewery last weekend blew me away (and I've had it there before as well as can and at bars) ... so delicious. To more broadly answer your question, everything is good to excellent there. Of what's on right now, I'm a big Inundation fan and I'd try the Stratagem because it is new. They do flights so you can try a bunch of things (not cheap, but you can).

31. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (707) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

I stopped through last weekend for some Creature Preacher and thought it was outstanding.

Citra and Galaxy with a bite on the back end. Really good, tremendous flavor at only 5.8%.

Either way, I'm sure you will dig whatever the hell you pick up.

Stratagem sounds tasty especially since they described it as having really nice dank qualities.

Cheers and enjoy!

32. Mkozaka

Society Trader

I’ll be taking the wife with me this weekend to double up - Ein Helles, No Hope and Space Coyote!

33. msiegel04

Trader

Any brief comments or reviews on either of these three? Never had them before and considering stopping in this weekend.

34. Mkozaka

Society Trader

Unfortunately, no detailed notes, just memory. I really need to start reviewing.

Coyote is all Galaxy and No Hope is Mosaic dominant so depends on how you feel about those hops. Both beers are exceptional but I have slight preference for No Hope. I recall distinct berry and tea characteristics.

Ein Helles is the perfect lager. Clean, sweet malt. Think it’s the best German interpretation from CW.

Nothing from CW should be rated under a 4 (to style).

brutalfarce likes this.
  35. lbower860

Their IPAs are great (although I am a much bigger fan of No Hope than Space Coyote), but Ein Helles might be my favorite beer that they do period. It was first brewed last year around this time for their first anniversary (Believe it was called Ein One). Its a really great Helles style lager. Even though they make lots of NEIPA I love CW for their lagers.

36. msiegel04

Trader

This is all I needed. Thanks. Cheers.

Mkozaka likes this.
  37. Swats

Best batches of No Hope and Space Coyote that I've ever had. The Mosaic and Galaxy are so well represented, respectively. Going to have to find some time to get more this week.

Mkozaka likes this.
  38. Mkozaka

Society Trader

How can we convince CW to open at noon every Friday? It’s only three additional hours of labor costs...

epoole3 and Swats like this.
  39. Swats

I agree. Especially once summer comes the traffic starts to back up on the Merritt at 2:30. I'd love to run up during lunch time and grab cans. And speaking of cans, Vulture Culture back tomorrow! Crossing my fingers that there's some Space Coyote and No Hope left as well tomorrow.

Mkozaka likes this.
  40. pbrian

Thirded. I'm only going through that area during the day, returning from meetings in fairfield county. Since NEBCO started opening at noon, I always try to fit in a pit stop on my way back up to the Hartford area. They of course are particularly convenient right off the Merritt.

Mkozaka likes this.