Counter Weight Brewing Company (2018)

Discussion in 'New England' started by Bgar15, Jan 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SenorQuesadilla

SenorQuesadilla Initiate (88) Jul 18, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

Yeah it was just a bad customer service situation that was made extra frustrating by the fact that Krystle, the manager, couldn't see the it was super lame that they didn't inform potential members that there would be no discount on DIPA's. She was very into the idea that it should have been implied that a brewery would never put an 8% beer into a 20 oz cup.

When I asked why they didn't just discount the price and serve the same oz as they usually do she started into patronizing manager of a brewery taproom mode about how DIPA's are more expensive to make which is when I realized I was about to go full troll and it wouldn't be pretty and cut the conversation.

Finished the 12 oz or whatever they had poured into my former mug #60 and cursed it as I left it on the bar.

2. mja271

mja271 Initiate (81) Mar 18, 2016 Connecticut

Huh yea that's too bad. I've been happy with basically every aspect in my experiences with CW so it's shitty to hear that.

3. Psychmusic

Psychmusic Aspirant (272) Jun 22, 2012 Connecticut

Why not just do half pours of the DIPAs? If you're committed to drinking it out of your mug, then fine, or just pour it in a regular glass. Seems like a really lame excuse to me...

4. Glazoo

Glazoo Initiate (57) Oct 17, 2016 Connecticut

#60, you were right behind me in the mug signup line.
    I don't remember seeing a no DIPA pour notice either, but I can see their point about putting a 8%+ beer into a 20oz mug. I still would have joined, because I thought it'd be a good way to support a brewery that I liked and there was also mention of possible special releases
    But your'e right, it could have been made clearer.
    I did get an email the other day saying they would be offering their 12oz pours as 16oz pours to mug owners, so they are listening and trying to work it, out which is cool.
    Every time I been there I've been impressed with the friendless of the staff and the patrons

5. mountaindewORcrabjuice

mountaindewORcrabjuice Initiate (90) Sep 6, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

The pour fiasco sounds too bad. I feel like with breweries, I get perturbed more quickly when my pristine image of them gets tarnished with a bad experience, especially with in-house customer service. I guess it only takes one plop of dog poop to poison the well and it sucks when it happens at a place that's become one of your spots. Glad the CW guys + gals addressed it and tried to rectify the mug club vagueness. That group always seems cool so hopefully it was just an off-day aberration with the attitude.

On another note, has anyone tried Slumbering Behemoth?! It's absolutely delicious. So roasty, great chocolate notes, easy drinker that keeps a nice velvety mouthfeel. Haven't had too many stouts, BA or not, better than it this winter. My favorite offering from these guys, narrowly edging out Spiral Blue.

Glazoo likes this.
  6. pbrian

pbrian Defender (695) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

I stopped being a mug club member at another brewery because if you're only going to drink a certain amount in a night, I'd rather have more smaller pours of different beers than larger pours of fewer different types. just my opinion...

BranfordBound and smutty33 like this.
  7. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (749) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Very much enjoyed Slumbering Behemoth, prefer it over Ceno Stout for sure.

8. mja271

mja271 Initiate (81) Mar 18, 2016 Connecticut

Double Galaxy is graduating!! Vulture Culture will be the name, details on the release soon. Assuming this weekend. Hyped.

9. mjord23

mjord23 Initiate (133) Jan 3, 2011 Connecticut

Can't wait for this. I missed cans of Double Galaxy, but was able to get a couple pours there. Looking forward to grabbing a 4pk or two when it's released!

10. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (178) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

Yeah, I missed cans the first time around. I need to get them this time!

11. JayKoz

JayKoz Initiate (102) Jun 20, 2014 Connecticut

The Vulture Culture/Double Galaxy - was this how it tasted fresh last release? Given the hype, can't imagine it did.

Seems like it could use some time to settle, IMO.

12. cosmicdebris

cosmicdebris Disciple (319) Feb 8, 2008 Connecticut

Vulture Culture does not dissapoint really glad I grabbed 3 4 packs

PenningtonNY10 likes this.
  13. OatmattStout

OatmattStout Zealot (500) Nov 20, 2002 Connecticut

The Vulture culture is as good as it gets in New England IMHO. I love galaxy hops and they nailed this one. Another excellent offering form a top notch brewery that just happens to be about a mile and a 1/2 from my home. Going to crack one now since you just reminded me how good it is.

cheers55, mjco04 and PenningtonNY10 like this.
  14. OatmattStout

I'm pretty sure from your displeasure with the pour situation on doubles that regardless of the outcome you were going to be annoyed. I must say that i have been there often and never had anything but great customer service. I wouldn't mind a buck off the 4 pack prices but overall think they are doing a bang up job with the beers and the brewery.

cheers55 and Mannygui like this.
  15. lbower860

lbower860 Initiate (151) Jun 28, 2011 Connecticut

The vulture culture is very good, as good as any New England IPA to me. I said this when they released it as audition, but it shows that the lines aren't an unavoidable thing. In fact, most of these places manufacture them. If Counterweight rolled out the release in a different way, made a cans only line, and did it on Saturday morning, I think there is no doubt they'd have big lines. I really respect that they choose to release this beer in a way that doesn't contribute to parking/line culture craziness. For example this is better than any IPA that's been released by 12% (Although I have loved their dark stuff)

OatmattStout likes this.
  16. SenorQuesadilla

Trader

Nope, I was there and the bar room manager was argumentative and was unwilling to entertain the idea that they may have erred.

And even if you completely disregard that interaction as the memory of a deranged madman hell bent on getting his way, which it seems you want to do, to say that I’d be annoyed with the outcome no matter what is silly considering they fixed the situation a couple days after I complained.

17. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (249) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Trader

Let it go. You got your money refunded and called out the individual by name later (which wasn't necessary). They addressed the situation and both sides are glad you are no longer a member. :stuck_out_tongue:

beanoboy7 and OatmattStout like this.
  18. SenorQuesadilla

Trader

You think I shouldn't be allowed to address posts directed at me? You're out of your mind man.

19. NiceBeerCans

Trader

Not really helping your case on what truly transpired with your tone on your posts imo. :rolling_eyes:

20. SenorQuesadilla

Trader

My posts were hyper specific to the point of including details you thought were unnecessary.

Corroborated by the fact that two days after my post goes up the exact changes brought up are changed.

Doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out what happened.

21. NiceBeerCans

Trader

So the brewery opened an account here, addressed the issue on this thread (above), refunded your mug membership (in full), and apologized to you? Yet you can't let it go? Do you still go back to the brewery? I haven't been there yet but people on the thread seem to unanimously post that they are very friendly with good service. Dude, what are you trying to accomplish now? The change was made. It's over.

22. SenorQuesadilla

Trader

I had let it go. I made two posts at the time and one of those was to address questions. Yesterday a poster said something to me, so I responded. If you have a problem with me having a discussion with people who address me you should just block me, it's really easy.

For someone that wants the situation dropped you seem to be the one that's not letting it go.

23. NiceBeerCans

Trader

Do you go back to the brewery?

24. SenorQuesadilla

Trader

Yes, that's why I have no idea what this whole idea about "making my case is" as though I have some agenda to bring down Counter Weight. I've never said I don't want people to visit Counter Weight, and I never would. I want them to succeed and have been very supportive of them since they opened, both with my purchases and with my posts on here.

I had one bad experience and let people know about it. These threads would be terrible if people only talked about their good experiences.

25. NiceBeerCans

Trader

Look, my issue with your posts is that you actually named the person at the brewery AFTER the brewery came on this thread to address the situation, refunded your mug membership (in full), and apologized to you. Most people at this point would be a little bit more gracious toward the other side and that's how things get better between parties. Sure, angry responses might work but it's not the only method (and usually not the best way). I just feel you need to re-read their post to you and try to read your own posts from a third person perspective. That's all.

26. PenningtonNY10

Yeah, I love how they release cans. You can expect something different every weekend and they don't drive up hype. I hope it remains this way.

27. OatmattStout

I stand corrected.

28. OatmattStout

One would hope not.

Mannygui likes this.
  29. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Initiate (160) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts

Nice Beer Cans, don't you think your name/avatar combo has gotten a little tired if you're going to play moral police around here?

30. mountaindewORcrabjuice

mountaindewORcrabjuice Initiate (90) Sep 6, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

I don't think SenorQ ever had the intention of rehashing the issue. Just a heads up to fellow BAs about his experience in a for-what-it's-worth kind of way. Don't see why he's getting so much heat for being honest and informative about his visit. I didn't feel like he was being malicious, but that's just my opinion. And hey, I love Counterweight and have never had a bad experience at the brewery or with its beer.

smutty33, pbrian, mcle and 5 others like this.
  31. jtodeasa

jtodeasa Initiate (126) Nov 11, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

Drinking a Vulture Culture right now, and I have to compliment its dry nature. Unlike other NEIPA, it has a great bitter finish.

32. mjco04

mjco04 Initiate (183) May 30, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

Vulture Culture is probably the best IPA in CT right now. If not very close to top 3 with Spectrum and Hooker NoFilter.

33. beanoboy7

beanoboy7 Initiate (186) Jun 22, 2014 Connecticut

Hookers Super Duper Double Citra was outstanding.

bsullivan likes this.
  34. mjco04

mjco04 Initiate (183) May 30, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

Haven't tried that yet

35. PenningtonNY10

36. PenningtonNY10

Oh and try that Common Anomoly if you are there. It's killer. Looks like the kriek version is still on tap, I bet that's amazing too.

37. purephase

purephase Initiate (151) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

Can't wait to try the lager.

smutty33 likes this.
  38. Kozaka

Kozaka Defender (637) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Saw on Twitter:

We’re excited to be sending lots more Workhorse Pilsner out into the world starting this month!

Assume that means distribution?

BababooeyHTJ and mltobin like this.
  39. Swats

Swats Initiate (51) Jul 1, 2015 Connecticut

I want more Innundation and Void!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.