COVID-19 and MN Taprooms

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by TrailsandAles, Mar 15, 2020.

1. TrailsandAles

TrailsandAles Initiate (38) Sep 10, 2014 Minnesota

Barrel Theory has gone to "beer to go" only at the taproom now.

https://barreltheory.com/news/taproom-update/

"Beginning Monday, March 16 the Barrel Theory taproom will be closed for all draft beer sales until further notice. We will stay open during limited hours for crowler sales only. Our plan as of now is to have to-go be available from noon – 6 p.m. during this time."

2. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (3,808) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

Roets Jordan has closed for the rest of March.

3. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,904) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Bang Brewery is closed until further notice.

4. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (4,308) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

I understand if they feel the need to close but I would think stepping up offerings in crowlers would be a good option.

5. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,639) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Add Fair State to the list:

ElmerLovejoy likes this.
  6. morimech

Society

My standing until state ordered at least offer to go offers. This dilemma will shutter more than a few brewery/taprooms in MN.

7. BillManley

BillManley Aspirant (244) Jul 2, 2008 Minnesota

Sure would be nice if all breweries could offer growler sales...:angry:
    Surly's Beer Hall and Pizza are still open for business, but capacity has been drastically cut to allow for appropriate distancing. Traffic has been (understandably) slow.
    For the first time ever, we're offering online ordering and curbside pick-up. We'll see how this goes.

ZAP, Chaz and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  8. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,194) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

On the Wild Mind Facebook page:

Wild Mind Artisan Ales
    13 mins ·
    It is finally at our doorsteps, Wild Mind is going dark effectively immediately for all taproom draft sales. Any weekly events are cancelled until further notice along with this weekend's Northern Discomfort. Employee and customer health is of the most important during this time and having a small Tasting Room that always feels like it is overflowing is not an effective way to curb community spread and flatten the curve. The CDC released new guidance yesterday evening advising no gatherings over 50 people for the next 8 weeks which led us to this decision voluntarily.

To be clear, we will not be halting production of beer that has currently been in planning and we will be selling off-sale bottles and crowlers directly. Our staff will work to get any beers on draft that we don't currently have into crowlers. We will be changing our hours for off-sale pickups from 12pm to 8pm every day and reassessing the situation daily. You can buy directly from store.wildmindales.com which includes 750ml bottles, crowlers, merchandise and E-gift cards. We can ship all merchandise, beer must be picked-up in person with valid ID and credit card used for the purchase. Send a message to 612-286-1777 with your order number if you purchase online and will bring it out to your vehicle.

We are currently researching ways to deliver beer direct but current MN laws might forbid that and we'll have an update for everyone as soon as we know more on deliveries.

For a business that relies on 95% of sales at the Tasting Room, this is a very hard decision for us and the impact will be hard. Please continue to support ALL local businesses during this difficult time.

Thanks to everyone for their continued support and we'll see everyone again when this is all done.

-Wild Mind

[​IMG]

Chaz likes this.
  9. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Aspirant (275) Oct 27, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

Yeah. Growler of BA Darkness would be great right about now.

10. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,827) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

You could still find that on the shelves a couple of days ago when I was at my local. Probably still can.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  11. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Aspirant (275) Oct 27, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

Yeah, but that's only 750ml. I want the economy of scale by getting larger format :stuck_out_tongue:

ml6005, Victory_Sabre1973 and MNAle like this.
  12. MNAle

Society

There is no doubt that the goofy MN alcohol laws will hit brewers in this state unevenly during this time. Given the current laws, your online/pick-up business is limited to food and NA beverages. Worth a try, but it has to hit hard.

It seems to me (at least at this instant in time) that those brewers who depend on traditional distribution to retail stores are in better shape than the non-distributing brewpub operations ... at least unless/until the liquor stores start closing. Yes, customers can go to their favorite small brewer and buy growlers/crowlers/750s, but how many will compared with those who go to their taprooms?

Is that off base? (May very well be since I have no insider knowledge ...)

JMN44 and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  13. Victory_Sabre1973

Society Trader

From St. Paul Brewing, via their Facebook page:

Saint Paul Brewing
    31 mins ·
    For the health and safety of our staff and community, we have decided to close our taproom until further notice. Growlers of our hand-crafted brews will still be available for purchase from 12-6pm daily. We wish you all the best of health and well-being during this time, and we look forward to welcoming you back into our space for a cold pint or two in the near future. Stay safe! -Saint Paul Brewing Team

TrailsandAles likes this.
  14. Victory_Sabre1973

Society Trader

And also Enki Brewing:

ENKI Brewing
    55 mins ·
    IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ON ENKI TAPROOM OPERATIONS

Last week our taproom sales were surprisingly robust, actually higher than the prior week. Frankly, I expected to see a significant drop as the public heeded the recommendations of local and national health officials to avoid crowds and practice stringent personal hygiene measures to slow the spread of the coronavirus. I want to thank all of you for supporting ENKI Brewing and other small businesses during this difficult time.

While I appreciate your support, I cannot in good conscience put the economic interest of ENKI Brewing ahead of the well-being of our community. I am particularly concerned that people who gather to socialize in bars and restaurants will eventually come into contact with someone that is infected with the coronavirus. Even if a person exposed to the virus is healthy and suffers minimal or even no symptoms from the disease, that person is then one more pathway for spreading the disease to a vulnerable person who will not fare so well.

It is for this reason I have decided to limit sales to curbside pick-up of ENKI Big Cans and Food to-go. This change is going into effect immediately through March 31st. The ENKI Taproom will be closed to the public during this period. As March 31st approaches we will re-evaluate the closure based on public health guidance for community safety.

We will provide information on how to place online orders for ENKI Big Cans and Food to-go in subsequent communications.

Please take good care of yourselves and those around you by avoiding all unnecessary public contact to the extent that you can.

Sincerely,
    John Hayes
    Co-Founder
    ENKI Brewing Co.

SipIt likes this.
  15. Victory_Sabre1973

Society Trader

And, now, Bad Habit:

Bad Habit Brewing Company
    17 mins ·
    Thank you all for allowing me a few minutes of your time to share an update regarding COVID-19 and what it means for Bad Habit Brewing.

First off, I would like to express a heartfelt thank you to all our friends and family who visited us this week. It’s truly a blessing to see so many wonderful faces and loving support. Bad Habit has always prided itself on being first and foremost, a taproom driven business. We have over the last 4 years worked diligently to hire the best and most knowledgeable staff and our greatest concern is the health and safety of the employees, their families and our customers.

Last week we implemented increased cleaning and sanitizing of shared surfaces, as well as several other changes to limit the risk for our employees and customers. With new developments this last weekend from the CDC we feel as though we weren’t doing enough to limit the close proximity of our taproom and interactions between our employees and customers. We have been busier than normal and that makes those interactions more difficult to control.

After many discussions the last 24 hours we felt the responsibility to make an educated decision about our taproom business. This decision has not been an easy one. There is much pain in knowing we have incredible beer that is waiting to be shared with friends, family and customers in our taproom.

The Bad Habit taproom will be closing to the public starting Wednesday March 18th. We will reassess this decision on a continuous basis as it relates to the health,
    safety, and risk to our staff, their families, & our customers.
    Starting Wednesday March 18th we will be shifting our business to off-sale (drive up crowlers and growlers) only for limited hours each day. We will be utilizing our parking lot (West entrance door) as a pick-up spot for our customers. *Details coming soon*

We know that there are many people reading this that are in much more difficult situations than us – and our hearts are with you. Things will get better and the Bad Habit taproom will rock again! We love you all and please feel free to reach out to Aaron or Eric at any time.

Aaron Rieland
    aaron@badhabitbeer.com
    Eric Geier
    eric@badhabitbeer.com

[​IMG]

16. gatornation

Society Trader

Indeed Brewing just shut it down. I suspect in the coming days most bars ,restaurants will follow or be mandated to.

17. Victory_Sabre1973

Society Trader

As someone who owns a restaurant, that's what I'm worried about.

Chaz likes this.
  18. TrailsandAles

TrailsandAles Initiate (38) Sep 10, 2014 Minnesota

Iron Exchange
    4 hrs ·
    Dear friends and family,

It’s not an easy decision to make as a small business that relies on the patronage of its guests, but we have decided to close our doors - effective immediately - in hopes that by doing so we will be playing our part in helping to curb the spread of COVID-19.

This is a fluid situation, and we are not sure what will happen next or how long this will last.

As soon as we are comfortable opening the doors again, we look forward to serving you awesome beer, delicious food, and great music. Stay safe and wash your hands. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,
    The Iron Exchange

19. gatornation

Society Trader

Mayor Frey just declared a local public health emergency.

20. Victory_Sabre1973

Society Trader

As did the mayor of St. Cloud.

https://knsiradio.com/news/local-news/st-cloud-mayor-declares-local-emergency?sc_ref=facebook

EDIT:

Junkyard is also take out only now. Good thing I went there yesterday:

Junkyard Brewing Company
    8 mins ·
    We will be open for OFF SALE only starting tonight, Monday, March 16th. You all know what's going on out there so we hope you understand why we are making this adjustment. Our cooler is stocked up with plenty of varieties ready to take home.
    Best wishes, -the Junkyard Crew.

21. cmannes

cmannes Disciple (354) Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota

Man, I wish doordash would pick up and bring me g/crowlers.

22. gatornation

Society Trader

Side hustle?

23. Victory_Sabre1973

Society Trader

And now Lupulin, both locations:

Lupulin Brewing Company
    Just now ·
    Our priority at Lupulin Brewing has always been to provide you with great beer and a welcoming space to gather with your friends, family and community. While our taprooms have remained open and we’ve been committed to operating them in the safest and most hygienic way possible, we recognize that in doing so, we are still running up against the same challenge facing so many other individuals and businesses - namely - how to adequately provide safe social distancing.

With the health and well being of our employees, our dedicated patrons and our community in mind, we have decided to close our taproom operations - specifically draft beer sales - until further notice.

However, you will still have options to purchase our beer to-go, in the taproom, as we will immediately be accepting walk-ins and phone orders for cans, crowlers, bottles and growlers. We are also working on an online store to offer a more comprehensive online ordering experience (which we will communicate more on in the very near future!)

Simply stop in to the taproom, or give us a call and we will take your order and coordinate with you the ideal time to pick this up. We will then meet you, check your ID, run your credit card and you and your precious cargo can be on your way:

Big Lake Taproom: 763-263-9549 ext.1
    Sioux Falls Taproom: 605-275-5544

For an up to date list of what we have available to-go:
    Big Lake, MN Taproom: http://bit.ly/BigLakeToGo
    Sioux Falls, SD Taproom: http://bit.ly/SiouxFallsToGo

Walk Ins and Phone Orders will be facilitated Monday-Saturday, 2PM - 8PM and Sunday, 1:00PM - 5PM; just stop in or call your local taproom to speak to your friendly beer tender.

You must be over 21 and present a valid ID to pick up your beer

Availability of beer is subject to change and location - however - we will do everything in our power to provide you with what you are looking for OR provide an awesome alternative.

I want to stress that while this was a tough decision, it was one that we did not hesitate to make. While no one can predict how long this period of unease and disruption will last, we firmly believe that this is an opportunity for each of us to step-up and make decisions (big and small, easy and hard) that will have a positive impact on our communities.

Be safe, stay well, and look out for one another.

24. gatornation

Society Trader

At 530 pm GV Walz will /may close all MN Bars & restaurants to the public.

#24 gatornation, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  25. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (450) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

26. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (126) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

27. Victory_Sabre1973

Society Trader

Liked to dislike.

28. MNAle

Society

29. cmannes

Walz mentioned Grocery Stores & Pharmacies won't close. But... but... what about liquor stores! (I'm only semi-kidding)

30. MNAle

Society

I'm not... what about liquor stores??? :wink:

Fortunately, I have about a 2-3 week supply in the 'fridge, plus more in the cellar if it comes to that!

cmannes likes this.
  31. MNAle

Society

I wonder, given the current situation and the unpredictability of how long it will last, if there would be any political traction to making an "emergency" change (even temporary) to the beer laws to allow all brewers to sell packaged beer in any format directly for takeout? Anyone with connections to the political insiders able to comment?

I fear a number of our brewers will be significantly damaged, even put out of business, without some kind of relief.

32. cmannes

Sounds like.... Things not mentioned, aren't impacted. Yet.

I'm not advocating for a run on liquor stores. Stay calm. :slight_smile:

MNAle likes this.
  33. cmannes

34. cmannes

35. morimech

Society

Go get a growler or crowler from your local taproom that you would like to keep around. If you are feeling flush, buy some gift cards for future use.

36. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

cheeseheadinMinneapolis Devotee (446) Sep 20, 2017 Minnesota
    Society

Plan B didn't last long now that the taprooms/bars in WI are closed too. Oh well it's for the better thou.
    I have enough beer in stock to last 2 to 3 weeks anyhow. Good reason drink up the soon to be shelve /fridge/pantry turds

37. MNAle

Society

Now is the time for an emergency declaration to suspend enforcement of the take-out retail sales laws for brewers. Allow any brewer, from Schell on down, to sell their packaged beer to go.

steorn, maximum12, Verbl and 3 others like this.
  38. nmoe

nmoe Initiate (110) Dec 18, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

I see Forager is delivering crowlers in Rochester. Is any brewery doing that in the Twin Cities?

My guess is the liquor stores will be closed in the next week. It looks like that happened tonight in CA.

39. doner24

doner24 Initiate (99) Apr 16, 2013 Minnesota

Yes, Falling Knife, Omni and Venn are for sure.

nmoe likes this.
  40. Victory_Sabre1973

Society Trader

Pantown is, Wild Mind is.

nmoe likes this.